• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think though, that the post conference coverage was way too positive for way too long. I five of the Allies have preordered the Switch live which tells you exactly what the slant was in that room. Especially when Jones mentioned that there was nothing to buy the system for at launch and Huber very much launched at him stating "ZELDA!!!!"

It is not something that you can change though, since Ben, Brad, Huber, Bosman and especially Damiani have their gaming life very much linked with Nintendo and Zelda. I would feel the same about my favourite games and franchises.

They course-corrected themselves when they were giving scores for the conference but Kyle mentioning that PS4's launch conference was bad was just hilarious. In the PS Meeting Sony announced Killzone, Driveclub, Knack and Infamous. That's four AAA games, two of which were new IPs. Along with that they mentioned to show off lots of third party support, probably biggest of which were Watchdogs and Destiny (two biggest new IPs this gen). Along with that they managed to completely break down the system from a technical perspective. The only bad things Sony did during the reveal was flimsy PS Now dreams and not showing the console.

I must've missed that. Weird comment. The PS4 reveal wasn't great but it was still pretty good, easily the best reveal since the 3DS one back at E3 2010. Sony laid out everything they needed to lay out: The hardware, a dozen major games and their vision for the system (share, share play, etc). And most importantly, it was over nine months out from launch! They didn't need to give us all the information on day one, they could then announce more games and features at E3, Gamescom, PAX, TGS and the launch event. It was a constant stream over months and turned out incredibly.

Nintendo, on the other hand, has less than two months until the Switch's launch. Less than two months to turn things around.

Budi

I do wonder if they should put out a "pilot" episode of what the $40k show would be. It at least gives patreons and potential patreons a better idea as to what they will get once they hit the 40k mark.

From what I understand, the episode with Damiani is the pilot. Imagine that, but with different allies sharing their stories. I think that's the format, an Ally sitting down to tell a story, with images and video edited in.

Zanzura

I must've missed that. Weird comment. The PS4 reveal wasn't great but it was still pretty good, easily the best reveal since the 3DS one back at E3 2010. Sony laid out everything they needed to lay out: The hardware, a dozen major games and their vision for the system (share, share play, etc). And most importantly, it was over nine months out from launch! They didn't need to give us all the information on day one, they could then announce more games and features at E3, Gamescom, PAX, TGS and the launch event. It was a constant stream over months and turned out incredibly.

Nintendo, on the other hand, has less than two months until the Switch's launch. Less than two months to turn things around.

Kyle makes that point in the video, btw.

El-Suave

I'm confused, this is actual marketing for the game? Or something fan made? It's neat. =D I was actually hoping to see Huber approach the guy with an axe at the end, with his maniac face on.

Some media outlets got a video tape and a VCR as their press kit for the game. This fits with the whole tape and found footage theme the game seems to have. While I don't know what the point of these actual videos is except namedropping a few outlets I'm really proud EZA is included, just as I was when their score was in the TLG trailer. Every little thing helps to spread the word and establish them further on the way to world domination.

Budi

Some media outlets got a video tape and a VCR as their press kit for the game. This fits with the whole tape and found footage theme the game seems to have. While I don't know what the point of these actual videos is except namedropping a few outlets I'm really proud EZA is included, just as I was when their score was in the TLG trailer. Every little thing helps to spread the word and establish them further on the way to world domination.

All right, thanks for the explanation! And it's indeed nice to see them recognized. Just like the tweets and other mentions by Yoshida.

PS4 meeting wasn't great. It was ok. The reason it's easily excused is that it was 9 months before the launch with E3, Gamescom in between compared to (less than) 2 months on Switch.

Also one of the reasons why people expected more from Ninty is because Wii U software development was killed off in favour of NX and console+handheld pipelines were combined. People expected there to be a blowout while people like Emily Rogers did their best to throw fuel into the fire (or a non situation it turns out!)

PS3 had incredible 2013, in my opinion the best year of the platform, while PS4 launch was avarage so it helped the situation. With Nintendo the gen transition is a bit awkward and really shows the problem lacking 3rd parties brings.

The saving grace as I said before might be that Nintendo is holding back for E3 and beyond. The system will sell out regardless at start and honestly the launch lineup is not nearly as important as the months following it. I think Switch will do fine but by the time september rolls in they need to have stuff yet to be revealed or they will fall behind hard.

abrack08

Wow, never knew about Graphtreon. I just looked up KindaFunny:

https://graphtreon.com/creator/KindaFunny

What happened in January 2016?

I believe that boost coincided with their first big live show. They were really hitting a stride around then.

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong, that was in May. Now I'm curious too. Where'd that jump come from?

Graphtreon is a very cool resource, I like using it to track creators whose output has slowed considerably over time.

I know this got (partially) answered already, but they added a special goal for January; funding 12 episodes of Kinda Funny: The Animated Series. They did a couple ~12 hour twitch stream telethons to raise money for it and really pushed it in all their podcasts and videos during the month. They even asked people not to sub or tip on twitch and put the money towards Patreon for the month instead.

Cool. What is exactly twitch prime though and how does it benefit streamers?

If you have Amazon Prime, you get one free Twitch sub per month. Usually costs $5, user doesn't pay anything, and the streamer still gets the sub money. Seems like a win-win for everyone but Amazon, not sure why they do it haha.

El-Suave

I do think though, that the post conference coverage was way too positive for way too long. I five of the Allies have preordered the Switch live which tells you exactly what the slant was in that room. Especially when Jones mentioned that there was nothing to buy the system for at launch and Huber very much launched at him stating "ZELDA!!!!"

It is not something that you can change though, since Ben, Brad, Huber, Bosman and especially Damiani have their gaming life very much linked with Nintendo and Zelda. I would feel the same about my favourite games and franchises.

Why would you want to change them though? Excitement is a big part why they're popular and they're critical enough most of the time. For example only Kyle got a PS VR at launch while the others waited. I must admit that even bummed me out a little bit. Most seem to have gotten PS4 Pro's instead because they felt that that purchase was inevitable for them, so why not get it over with in time for the big holiday games? The same holds true for the Switch - most people who are interested at all will eventually buy one so why not do it now and be there for the launch festivities? It also makes them more informed and better at their job if they own the device and can speak about it from first hand experience.
Personally I've decided to get a PS Pro now and wait with the switch till Splatoon or Mario hit. Zelda will be played on Wii U instead.

Kyle makes that point in the video, btw.

Oh cool and thanks for the time stamp. I think I came back from a food run right when he gave the score, so I must've missed that explanation.

Yeah, in my memory the Ps4 meeting was pretty meh and forgettable.

At the time I thought it was pretty good. Some weird stuff, like the gloomy Infamous speech and the early look at Dreams but it laid out their vision and got me excited. Removed from that hype and already knowing how this gen would turn out, it's obviously going to be a lot more boring but I don't think that was its purpose, it was a hardware announcement, not E3.

wapplew

Couple of new directs and a pre launch blow-out should be sufficient.
Hell, after last night Treehouse stream, I'm getting hype again.
They don't have to convince day 1 buyer, that thing won't stay on shelf maybe until E3. What they do after reveal is convince the holiday and beyond buyer, which give them a lot of time.

I know this got (partially) answered already, but they added a special goal for January; funding 12 episodes of Kinda Funny: The Animated Series. They did a couple ~12 hour twitch stream telethons to raise money for it and really pushed it in all their podcasts and videos during the month. They even asked people not to sub or tip on twitch and put the money towards Patreon for the month instead.

If you have Amazon Prime, you get one free Twitch sub per month. Usually costs $5, user doesn't pay anything, and the streamer still gets the sub money. Seems like a win-win for everyone but Amazon, not sure why they do it haha.

Yeah. I researched what it was. Seems pretty stupid on amazon's part, which gives me the concern that once fiscal year comes past they'll probably drop it.

Twitch Prime came into effect when? August of last year?

Hasney

Yeah. I researched what it was. Seems pretty stupid on amazon's part, which gives me the concern that once fiscal year comes past they'll probably drop it.

Twitch Prime came into effect when? August of last year?

Nah, when you think how expensive Prime is, they want to make sure it has benefit for all their services. Maybe they'll get rid of that, but they'll have some Twitch benefit still.

Karu

At the time I thought it was pretty good. Some weird stuff, like the gloomy Infamous speech and the early look at Dreams but it laid out their vision and got me excited. Removed from that hype and already knowing how this gen would turn out, it's obviously going to be a lot more boring but I don't think that was its purpose, it was a hardware announcement, not E3.
Oh god, that was inFamous? I somehow thought that might have been Watch_Dogs.

That is truly one of my favourite press conference moments of alltime. :D

PS4 meeting redeemed.

Mista Koo

Oh my God! They used the same music in the Huber cold open as used in one of my favorite episodes of my favorite show Community. Blood, Ben, Damiani, please thank Ian or Don or whoever edited this Betting Special for me!

Edit: Just saw above that Blood already answered that. Ian is the best! Also I like the clean shaven look there Blood.
That music was stuck in my head for about a year, and I had no clue where I heard it nor what it was called. While rewatching Community I was able to find out what it was called, but I still have no clue what got it stuck in my head (and no, I haven't played Earthbound at the time).

I'm impressed nobody sent razor related fanart to Bosman or something similar yet.
I thought about but felt it was too mean spirited. Something like Mr. Mime is fine though :3

No it means don't come in and be an ass. You can criticize the crew and we can discuss but not in the way he did it.
OTs usually just end up in circle jerks about the product and that just annoys me because then any negative opinion gets shouted down and told to go elsewhere. There was a fair amount of "hey guys, love and respect!" when people were annoyed/disappointed/fed up with the Bosman bet trolling where if you don't like that then you obviously hate them all and should go somewhere else.
I agree. People always jump at anyone who suggests that maybe they don't like something the allies do. Even when they're being civil.
Heck the whole Love & Respect slogan was perverted into a circle jerk of how this community is like no other, a beacon of postivity, and is perfect etc.

Drencrom

PS4 meeting wasn't great. It was ok. The reason it's easily excused is that it was 9 months before the launch with E3, Gamescom in between compared to (less than) 2 months on Switch.

Also one of the reasons why people expected more from Ninty is because Wii U software development was killed off in favour of NX and console+handheld pipelines were combined. People expected there to be a blowout while people like Emily Rogers did their best to throw fuel into the fire (or a non situation it turns out!)

PS3 had incredible 2013, in my opinion the best year of the platform, while PS4 launch was avarage so it helped the situation. With Nintendo the gen transition is a bit awkward and really shows the problem lacking 3rd parties brings.

The saving grace as I said before might be that Nintendo is holding back for E3 and beyond. The system will sell out regardless at start and honestly the launch lineup is not nearly as important as the months following it. I think Switch will do fine but by the time september rolls in they need to have stuff yet to be revealed or they will fall behind hard.

Exactly.

It's less than 2 months until launch and Nintendo have been nearly completely silent since last year regarding Switch and haven't released much games on Wii U. I don't fault people for expecting more of this conference, this was Nintendo's time to shine and reel in people on their new console just before in launch and they kinda fumbled it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I really kind of hope that someday EZA and GameXplain is doing something together.
More specifically Damiani and GameXplain. EZA and GameXplain have been my favorite gaming media the past two month.
(Also saying that as someone that thinks the GameXplain guys were like way too positive on the Switch presentation).

Daggoth

I'm confused, this is actual marketing for the game? Or something fan made? It's neat. =D I was actually hoping to see Huber approach the guy with an axe at the end, with his maniac face on.
Marketing (edit - unless they have a REALLY rabid fan). Did a quick search and there are similar ones for Kinda Funny, Polygon, and IGN.

In Nintendo news, I've got my first ever Nintendo console on order.
NES classic coming Friday!

I just rewatched the PS4 reveal before the PS4 Pro meeting last year. It really was bad. Maybe you're forgetting how each of those four AAA games were presented. Infamous was announced, but with that over-serious introduction and a trailer with nothing in it. The Destiny presentation was stinky too, weird environmental footage tied to the awkward announcement of ambiguous exclusive content. Also, they didn't really demonstrate that much third party support. On top of Destiny and Watch Dogs, they showed The Witness, Deep Down, Agni's Philosophy, and Blizzard announced a Diablo III port.
It's weird to remember because those games and everything turned out great, but it's definitely not hilarious to call it a bad presentation.
Yea I wouldn't call its reveal great but it wasn't horrible like Xbox one's that was months later. Like if I remember correctly didn't the Sony one not even show the console itself? I also think a lot of it was covered up because of how strong sony's E3 showing was months later. And given how close to launch the switch is, it needed to be more like Sonys E3 showing and less like Xbox ones reveal.

jett

D-Member
I'm honestly kind of shocked how down some people were on HD rumble. It sounds like an honest improvement that could be used really well with gameplay. I mean if it's the lack of faith in Nintendo to properly make it, I guess that sounds fair. However, unlike the first motion controls with the Wii, I think we can give Nintendo a little more faith in the rumble capabilities they've worked on for years.

I'm down on it because rumble in general has usually been a worthless gimmick, to be honest, and the only use Nintendo has shown of their HD rumble is in the vapid WiiSports-like experience that is 1-2 Switch. Could be cool though, I guess.

The reason I'm personally ''down'' on ''HD rumble'' is because there was a lot of hype around Xbox One's super rumble or whatever it was and after a month nobody was talking about it.

Of course I have no idea how these two compare.

Man I'm pumped for that Guilty Gear Xrd 2 update. Baiken!!!!! I need to get back into GG

Also another amusing image I saw on my twitter feed
C2Ei_NnXAAA7f8_.jpg

jett

D-Member
And did anyone care when Sony added an additional rumble motor to the Dual Shock?

These additions to rumble always end up being nothing.

I will say this, I'm very pleasantly surprised that the Switch event was mostly live and not pre recorded. I was not expecting that.

Live show just has that unique vibe to it. Probably won't happen at E3 but here's hoping.

Mista Koo

I'm down on it because rumble in general has usually been a worthless gimmick, to be honest, and the only use Nintendo has shown of their HD rumble is in the vapid WiiSports-like experience that is 1-2 Switch. Could be cool though, I guess.
That's an insult to Wii Sports. More like Wii Play without the added value of the controller.

But yes, that's the problem with all hardware innovations. They never get utilized to their full potential.

I will say this, I'm very pleasantly surprised that the Switch event was mostly live and not pre recorded. I was not expecting that.

Live show just has that unique vibe to it. Probably won't happen at E3 but here's hoping.
Their prerecorded parts were perfect compared to some of the live stuff, especially the awkwardness with the 3rd party in the end and them repeating the same stuff over and over.
All said I'd love to see Koizumi on a stage at E3.

ueSFXs4.gif

Lionheart

I thought the PS meeting was awesome because the PS4 was a drastic improvement from the clunky and slow PS3.
This. The conference does not live up to the no frills, just games conferences that Sony does now though, but if anything, it showed that they had really learned from their PS3 mistakes. Also, great intro and ending montages. It showed a clear, promising vision for this gen and they've not had to adjust it.

WIll be watching EA Switch reactions now. :) Betting special was great!

Auctopus

I thought the PS meeting was awesome because the PS4 was a drastic improvement from the clunky and slow PS3.

This. The conference does not live up to the no frills, just games conferences that Sony does now though, but if anything, it showed that they had really learned from their PS3 mistakes. Also, great intro and ending montages. It showed a clear, promising vision for this gen and they've not had to adjust it.

WIll be watching EA Switch reactions now. :) Betting special was great!

It's interesting. I agree with Plasmawave, seeing the PS4 conference from the perspective of a PS3 player coming in to a new generation (pretty much the only fair way), it's incredible: Sony admits their mistakes, they're clear and open about the hardware and they show off AAA games.

However, if you compare it to their later press conferences or if they had showed off games that were the norm later in the generation then looking back, the PS4 conference appears weaker and more robotic.

sora87

I always laugh when I remember the ps4 meeting because fucking Knack was the first next gen game we seen. That chilly bastard.

Hasney

Yeah, then MS tweeting that "a console reveal without showing the console. Interesting". And then for MS's, they basically didn't show any games unless they had a TV show attached.

Feel like the first E3 is when we get the games shown for these new toys. The only difference is that the Switch will already be out.

Bahorel

I'm a bit dismayed that they are seemingly stuck at 38,000 for their patreon. It seems, whatever theoretical cap they've hit...they've hit. Don't get me wrong, that's still close to a half-million U.S dollars in patreon support per year, but considering it's nine people employed...

I think you're accidentally adding another zero. They are getting close to half a 100k. If they had half a million they could afford tens studios XD

Burt

On a completely random note, I just have to say that I already can't stand the word 'Joy-Con'. It started off as an eyeroll-inducing stretch of a sorta-pun, but the overexposure to it since the event has me completely turned off to it.

SHARE THE JOY

TAKE YOUR HAPPY PILLS

or else

It'd be like if Apple came out and said, "We don't have APPS anymore! Now we have hAPPys! Make sure to get new hAPPys every day!"

Like, not only is it a forced, terrible pun trying to rebrand something that already has a perfectly serviceable name, it's an obnoxious attempt to imply how you should feel about them.

They're just controllers, Nintendo. If 3 syllables or 10 letters is too much, call them the Sticks. I don't need you to rebrand them with a name that sounds like the hybrid between a military abbreviation and something from Brave New World.

Roubjon

On a completely random note, I just have to say that I already can't stand the word 'Joy-Con'. It started off as an eyeroll-inducing stretch of a sorta-pun, but the overexposure to it since the event has me completely turned off to it.

SHARE THE JOY

TAKE YOUR HAPPY PILLS

or else

It'd be like if Apple came out and said, "We don't have APPS anymore! Now we have hAPPys! Make sure to get new hAPPys every day!"

Like, not only is it a forced, terrible pun trying to rebrand something that already has a perfectly serviceable name, it's an obnoxious attempt to imply how you should feel about them.

They're just controllers, Nintendo. If 3 syllables or 10 letters is too much, call them the Sticks. I don't need you to rebrand them with a name that sounds like the hybrid between a military abbreviation and something from Brave New World.

I know what you mean but Nintendo are just a bunch of goofballs.

Giever

SHARE THE JOY

TAKE YOUR HAPPY PILLS

or else

What is the sorta-pun? I thought they were just calling them Joy-Cons short for (obviously) Joy-Controllers. Is there a pun with joy I'm not getting?

Burt

I know what you mean but Nintendo are just a bunch of goofballs.

Yeah, that's true. But Wiimote does work well both as a take on the word remote and as an accessory for a console called the Wii. I can't figure out anything like that for Joy-Con.

Wii + Remote = Wiimote, which is clear, concise, and makes perfect sense

but

What is the sorta-pun? I thought they were just calling them Joy-Cons short for (obviously) Joy-Controllers. Is there a pun with joy I'm not getting?

Joystick (maybe?) + Controller = Joy-Con... which ties into Switch... how? Lots of controllers have joysticks, so integrating "joystick" is just adding dead weight, and if it's just 'joy' as opposed to 'joystick'... why? Because we wouldn't know the Switch would make us happy if they weren't reminding us every time we picked up the controller?

I feel like there's a big "???" in the Joy-Con naming scheme equation, and not only do I not know what it is, I don't even know where it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom