• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mista Koo

To add to the confusion, you have:
  • Joy-Con L
  • Joy-Con R
  • Joy-Con Grip
I wonder if there was any intuitive way to name them. Maybe Plus and Minus?

Just watched the Crazy Taxi tournament stream. Huber playing Curly Monkey 2 on his well earned prize. "Oh wow. When you kill enemies they turn into platforms."

Ben, quick as a flash; "Yeah, that was in the first Curly Monkey."

His little face after that joke. He looks so proud of himself. Even more so when Jones pats him on the shoulder.

Spectacular stuff.

On a different note, seeing the "does botw have the greatest game trailer of all time" thread really made me crave a Trailer Score, something I must admit I've not even thought of in a long time.

It does make me nostalgic for it, yes.

That's easily one of the best video game trailers I've ever seen, and dare I say, one of the best for any form of entertainment.

Giever

Yeah, that's true. But Wiimote does work well both as a take on the word remote and as an accessory for a console called the Wii. I can't figure out anything like that for Joy-Con.

Wii + Remote = Wiimote, which is clear, concise, and makes perfect sense

but

Joystick (maybe?) + Controller = Joy-Con... which ties into Switch... how? Lots of controllers have joysticks, so integrating "joystick" is just adding dead weight, and if it's just 'joy' as opposed to 'joystick'... why? Because we wouldn't know the Switch would make us happy if they weren't reminding us every time we picked up the controller?

I feel like there's a big "???" in the Joy-Con naming scheme equation, and not only do I not know what it is, I don't even know where it goes.

Oh, I didn't even get that. If it bothers you, shouldn't the word joystick bother you too, then?

I think it's fun, and brings me back to a kind of NES/SNES naming aesthetic. It's got kind of a cool Japanese short-hand vibe to it, like Famicom.

Burt

Oh, I didn't even get that. If it bothers you, shouldn't the word joystick bother you too, then?

I think it's fun, and brings me back to a kind of NES/SNES naming aesthetic. It's got kind of a cool Japanese short-hand vibe to it, like Famicom.
'Joystick' is a word that's been around 100 years and emerged from slang.

"Control lever? No, rookie, that's this plane's joystick."

Beyond being clear, concise, and making perfect sense, it's something that popped up naturally and has been around longer than anyone can remember. It doesn't bother me any more than words like parkway and driveway, despite the fact that you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway. They're the words we have for these things.

Sure, Famicom is great. It sounds good, and it's very easy to discern what its roots are, and those roots make sense for the product. With Joy-Con, I don't think any of those are true. It rolls so poorly it has a hyphen. I don't know if "Joy" is "joy" or "joystick". And regardless of which it is, I can't see the reason for either outside of "You know how laugh tracks are important because they tell people when to laugh? Let's make sure our controller does that."

Joy-Con makes me think

*cshckhsk*
"Shiggy, this is Reggie. I repeat, Shiggy, this is Reggie, do you copy? Over."
*cshckhsk*
"Shiggy, you there? It's important! Over."
*cshckhsk*
"... I told you before, we should have codenames. I don't like when you call me Shiggy. Use my codename."
*cshckhsk*
"Really? Do I have to?"
*cshckhsk*
"Yes."
*cshckhsk*
"... Grandmaster, this is Little Brother. Grandmaster, do you read? Over."
*cshckhsk*
"Grandmaster here. What's the problem, Little Brother? Over."
*cshckhsk*
"The Switch Event didn't go well. We're getting bad press! The stock dropped! I need orders, quickly! Over!"
*cshckhsk*
"..."

*pregnant pause*

"...there's only one thing we can do: raise the threat alert to JOYCON 3."

"Grandmaster, over and out."

*cshckhsk*

its really not that big of a deal

sora87

So they're having a meeting on monday to discuss their 2017 plans and goals, hopefully they'll come up with some better stretch goals for patreon!

Joqu

Any particular reason why only Xenoblade 2 and Mario Odyssey got separate reaction videos? Is it because they're considered the biggest reveals? Looking at EZA's actual reactions I feel like the Zelda trailer should be a separate video too for example, but that's just my opinion

Just thinking about what the people want here, it doesn't matter much to me :p

Nbz

Any particular reason why only Xenoblade 2 and Mario Odyssey got separate reaction videos? Is it because they're considered the biggest reveals? Looking at EZA's actual reactions I feel like the Zelda trailer should be a separate video too for example, but that's just my opinion

Just thinking about what the people want here, it doesn't matter much to me :p

They might not have done Zelda because its not a "reveal" of a new game. That said I think they totally should have uploaded it if only for Brad and Huber geeking the fuck out at the back

Joqu

They might not have done Zelda because its not a "reveal" of a new game. That said I think they totally should have uploaded it if only for Brad and Huber geeking the fuck out at the back

Yeah I'm only looking at how enjoyable people's reactions were. Brad and Huber geeking out during the Zelda trailer makes it worthy of a separate video to me.

Kyle if you're reading through this, please add Reggie's interview with Wired in the next podcast. Some of his quotes are insane

Like this one:
Reggie Fils-Aime said:
Instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you'll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device. We think that's a pretty sweet solution. That's part of the overall opportunity that we see in a subscription service.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/reggie-fils-aime-nintendo-interview/

Prompto

Banned
C2K-IgAUcAARHv9.jpg
www.twitter.com/MichaelPHuber/status/820427137312124930

Huber got the briefcase signed by Mick Foley!

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Ah sweet thanks, and you're Toni-P? Currently watching this week BVW, nice bet save!

Hehe. I managed to finish the code that collected the bets and persisted them in time, and it worked reliably (despite some people trying to crash the bot with wrong inputs, lol). But the code that calculated the winner actually had bugs. I fixed that part after the bets had been submitted and redeployed the bot a few times, but luckily everything worked well in the end.

I cleaned everything up after the stream and added a few more commands, in case we need it again next week: http://forums.easyallies.com/topic/432/song-submission-for-bosman-vs-wozniak/18

I've been meaning to do this for a while but here is a snapshot of their patreon numbers at the start of each month. So this reflects what the numbers are after each months "dip" during the billing cycle.

I also included what its at now. Historically it looks like the dip is around 150-200 patreons at month end

Code:
+-------+-----------+------------+
| Month |  Patreons |  Dollars   |
|  4/16 |   4,031   |  33,909.70 |
|  5/16 |   4,559   |  35,143.90 |
|  6/16 |   4,760   |  38,101.30 |
|  7/16 |   5,055   |  38,617.60 |
|  8/16 |   5,083   |  37,638.90 |
|  9/16 |   5,096   |  37,941.10 |
| 10/16 |   5,059   |  36,937.60 |
| 11/16 |   5,034   |  36,033.80 |
| 12/16 |   5,239   |  36,603.20 |
|  1/17 |   5,413   |  37,924.20 |
| Now*  |   5,636   |  38,563.00 |

I get what you're trying to do, but I don't think comparing at the dip is going to paint a very clear or accurate picture. Those first five to ten days of the month are always a bit off because active patrons need to update payment information, and when they do, it does count towards the previous month. You might want to try a date in the middle of the month when that activity has stabilized for the best comparison.

I would love for EZA to get all the money in the world but personally I'm perfectly content with what they are doing now. Podcasts and TTE are the main reason I pledge for them with event coverages being the cherry on top.

While obviously they know much better than me, I think they are on a good position with the money when it comes to what I expect them to produce. The amount is relatively stable and with a good buffer.

I would just get anxiety by proxy if they reached a point where they would seriously start to plan for a new office and the pressure to keep money flowing to afford it all.

kami_sama

Did Splatoon 1 have custom controls?
The B and analog problem make me want to use bumper jumper.

Also, one thing I haven't seen anywhere is when you play with a split controller, the gyro controls will still work?

Wiggy

So they're having a meeting on monday to discuss their 2017 plans and goals, hopefully they'll come up with some better stretch goals for patreon!

The meeting should just be an intervention on bosman to convince him to bring his show back

I get what you're trying to do, but I don't think comparing at the dip is going to paint a very clear or accurate picture. Those first five to ten days of the month are always a bit off because active patrons need to update payment information, and when they do, it does count towards the previous month. You might want to try a date in the middle of the month when that activity has stabilized for the best comparison.
Good to know. I know there's a bit of the bounce back but it was never clear where that line was. So I went with the "Bare minimum " amounts

I also have to say now that Blood mentioned the right joycon's analog being right below the b button, I can't unsee and i could see that getting really annoying. Man a pro controller is a must have purchase for this system.

Hasney

Good to know. I know there's a bit of the bounce back but it was never clear where that line was. So I went with the "Bare minimum " amounts

I also have to say now that Blood mentioned the right joycon's analog being right below the b button, I can't unsee and i could see that getting really annoying. Man a pro controller is a must have purchase for this system.

A few impressions I've seen say the Joycons in the grip feels better. Think GBomb said it feels like a Dreamcast controller. Honestly, for me, the stick is in a better position than the DS4 with the X button.

Auctopus

I had no idea the EZA JoJo fans weren't caught up on DIU. Part 4 is a different beast comapred to 2 & 3. It's really hard to compare once you've reached the end of DIU.

Edit: Completely unrelated. Resident Evil 7 is being streamed right now on Twitch by multiple streamers so watch out!

Kansoku

I thought he was going to say how the analog is right in the middle when you hold it horizontally, but the B thing is probably going to be more problematic.

Mista Koo

I agree with pretty much everything Blood said about the Switch. Glad to hear that Arms and Snipperclips seem good since they are the highlights of the launch window games for me.

And my favorite Easy Updates are always Ian with an Ally hanging out
Agreed. That or them playing video games (which I still think should be another show).

There's something extra adorable about Huber, fan of everything horror, being afraid of needles.

Splendor

I really enjoyed the Impressions. Blood and Bosman did a good job capturing what is exciting about the switch and the lingering questions we have without falling into hysterics either way. Also whomever did the editing the footage for SnipperClips demonstrated what they were discussing very well with the stream footage. Great work by all involved.

I really enjoyed the Impressions. Blood and Bosman did a good job capturing what is exciting about the switch and the lingering questions we have without falling into hysterics either way. Also whomever did the editing the footage for SnipperClips demonstrated what they were discussing very well with the stream footage. Great work by all involved.
Ian did the editing and did a great job mixing in the right amount of footage

Ultimadrago

I'm certainly very skeptical on the Switch, but seeing Bloodworth's honest excitement still felt inspiring in a way. I wasn't at all turned off by how he expressed his positive reception on it and it was informative. Thanks for the report.

arkon

Enjoyed those very detailed Switch impressions. Snipper Clips looks like a lot of fun. That's another game to add to the list.

Now that I've settled after that presentation I'm feeling more positive but still not enough to be there day one. I'm hoping there's more games for this year that Nintendo are not talking about for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom