• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
They officially at 5901 patrons! Woohoo!

Doubt they'll crack 6000 this month, but I can totally see them cracking it for April.
And they got the one remaining sponsor slot filled

In my rough calculations if they can hit and maintain around 9000 patrons is when they will get to the final studio tier

cm osi

trying to canibalize KF is not good guys, let it go.

Keep in mind there are jobs on the line with the KF situation

is the situation that bad? i mean they lost a member but they still have 2 successfull patreon and sponsorships, they just need to replace colin.they make more, they're fewer and have a studio, i mean they got pretty much everything they could want.

(it doesn't feel right to me too, but i don't think they're having a "hard time")

Servbot24

Banned
is the situation that bad? i mean they lost a member but they still have 2 successfull patreon and sponsorships, they just need to replace colin.they make more, they're fewer and have a studio, i mean they got pretty much everything they could want.

(it doesn't feel right to me too, but i don't think they're having a "hard time")

KF will be fine, but it is still gonna be tough because Greg + Colin was their primary draw as they had been together 10 years

Why? Dude acted like a douche on Twitter all the time and had a super toxic fanbase. He'll go off and make money with all the other Ayn Rand fantasy land clowns.

In other news, this kind of blatant promotion seems kinda gross to me:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1352308

I'm sure there were good intentions behind it and we all want to see them do well but this kind of stuff doesn't come off or reflect well.

I get that the thread was made with good intentions, but it doesn't feel good at all. It's also annoying to hear that people try to "poach" viewers in the KF threads.

I don't feel like EZA needs this kind of promotion. Separate threads for their shows are fine, but taking advantage of a situation like this, no matter what you think of it, is downright shady. That's really not cool.

Mikey Jr.

And they got the one remaining sponsor slot filled

In my rough calculations if they can hit and maintain around 9000 patrons is when they will get to the final studio tier

9000 ehh? That's gonna be a while, lol. Though I think E3 will give them a boost. Their reaction videos are their highest viewed videos.

Axass

The thread was clearly made with good intentions, however it does leave a bad aftertaste and it could be seen as shady from the outside. Still it's publicity.

9000 ehh? That's gonna be a while, lol. Though I think E3 will give them a boost. Their reaction videos are their highest viewed videos.

There has to be some good material to react to though. That is not always the case.

Sony has already announced games so far off I doubt they have anything earth-shattering ready to announce and Microsoft's first party situation is a mess.

Let's hope for Metroid and/or Retro's new IP.

Obviously the views on reaction vids are good for visibility, but I don't think that alone can carry them

E3 is once a year, other conferences are becoming fewer and fewer. The kind of audience that is hugely drawn to "reactions" might not actually care about anything else (certainly not enough to support on a monthly basis)

E3 coverage in itself will be a boost for sure though. Plus you have the hype of bets. For GT I think I had seen some Final Bosmans in early 2015, then by the time Final Bets rolled around and was posted on GAF I was hooked

If they somehow could get a boost and maintain it that'd be nice but just getting a slow and steady growth over time would probably be healthier.

All their numbers continue to grow over time. That's all you can ask

Can they not switch the tier at $40,000 from Story Time with the Allies to something like creating Top 10's? I think that'd get them to their goal.

Also, Retrospectives and Game Sleuth are supposed to be how frequent? I know they're really time consuming; the Allies have games to review and such, but I'm just curious if they have like a schedule to keep to with respect to those tiers.

Hasney

They're not doing Top 10's as they take too much time and effort apparently. With that extra time and effort in editing and getting everyone together to discuss them, you then push out the studio goal to a higher tier. That's why the $40k has to be something not very time consuming.

I like Story Time and hope it happens.

Agree with the Sleuth and Retrospectives though. I'd at least like an announcement of what's next and even a rough date like Q2 or something.

Axass

Can they not switch the tier at $40,000 from Story Time with the Allies to something like creating Top 10's? I think that'd get them to their goal.

Also, Retrospectives and Game Sleuth are supposed to be how frequent? I know they're really time consuming; the Allies have games to review and such, but I'm just curious if they have like a schedule to keep to with respect to those tiers.

Brandon has said many times that they have no personal interest in doing Top Tens and that they're very time-consuming, so now that they don't have to care about views as much as before they're not considering them.

Retros and Game Sleuth are definitely behind in schedule though, at least according to what Brandon and Michael hoped when they started.

Visceir

The EZA crew seem rather content with where they are right now. It'll probably just cause frustration if you're clamouring for that studio space as a fan when there's no significant push from the allies themselves for it.

Hasney

The EZA crew seem rather content with where they are right now. It'll probably just cause frustration if you're clamouring for that studio space as a fan when there's no significant push from the allies themselves for it.

By all accounts, they're pretty much working flat out. Then adding things that weren't even goals like the anime podcast, Fiasconauts and Gundam building. I'm not sure what else they could be doing?

cm osi

i think they're pretty at the point where anything more than this will require a studio to put out better edited videos

Brandon has said many times that they have no personal interest in doing Top Tens and that they're very time-consuming, so now that they don't have to care about views as much as before they're not considering them.

Retros and Game Sleuth are definitely behind in schedule though, at least according to what Brandon and Michael hoped when they started.

Damn it Damiani, stop wasting time reading out Zelda guides and shit and get to work on those Sleuths! lol

Yea I'm not sure what's up with Game Sleuth. I guess it could be another massive project like the GTA V? But i think they need to say something about where each of the projects are at.

I did hear on one of the streams one Ally is working on the next Retro. So at least something is happening

I do think for both shows/projects they should mix in smaller bite size topics with the bigger commitment ones

Like I threw out to do a Streets of Rage Retro

By all accounts, they're pretty much working flat out. Then adding things that weren't even goals like the anime podcast, Fiasconauts and Gundam building. I'm not sure what else they could be doing?

The fact that they're all infrequent as well shows how much they're covering their bases. I can't believe they're not all full-time either, they all work as if they are.

Auctopus

I know the conversation has kind of gone but I agree that the "Bummed about KF..." thread is kinda cheap. Feels a bit gross taking advantage etc.

Also, i don't know if pandering to desponded Colin Moriarty (who's KF panel openly dissed Kyle) fans is a good way to develop EZA's community.

MrMette

One year later and we got two episodes of Game Sleuth and one Retrospective is pretty disappointing tbh.

I can imagine that those things take a lot of time with all the research/recording of gameplay if you want good quality retrospectives and game sleuth episodes. I would rather have an episode which isn't rushed then that the quality is not as good because a deadline had to be met.

I am not saying I don't want a new episode, but it is clear they have a lot on their plate (a lot of games came out for review). I am sure Damiani and the other allies have plenty of other work right now. The same for Ben with the Tales from Japan episodes. If you see how many (popular) games come out in the next few months (and how many reviews they did in the previous months), it seems quite clear on why it takes longer.

And while the retrospectives and Game Sleuth episodes are very popular (and deservedly so), I am sure they get more attention from potential new fans with on-time reviews (especially with them being on metacritic and opencritic).

Hasney

The fact that they're all infrequent as well shows how much they're covering their bases. I can't believe they're not all full-time either, they all work as if they are.

Yeah, except for Don and Ian who have other jobs, meaning that Jones has to have a window in his schedule to edit the bigger produced things as well as be the voice, manage things and wants to (rightfully so) write reviews and stream games as well as occasionally do a Cup of Jones.

I'm hoping we get a Retro announcement during the 1 year things they're doing but if not, then it will feel like they can only do them when there's less games out which at this rate will be once a year in summer.

cm osi

I know the conversation has kind of gone but I agree that the "Bummed about KF..." thread is kinda cheap. Feels a bit gross taking advantage etc.

Also, i don't know if pandering to desponded Colin Moriarty (who was happy to diss Kyle in front of Shu) fans is a good way to develop EZA's community.

did he? i remember jaffe and greg but not from colin

Also, i don't know if pandering to desponded Colin Moriarty (who was happy to diss Kyle in front of Shu) fans is a good way to develop EZA's community.

I think you mean David Jaffe?

Visceir

I should probably start this post by pointing out that whatever they want to do is fine with me. But I definitely think they could be doing things differently if they were determined to make the 50k goal happen, that doesn't necessarily mean working more but rather maybe seeking some guidance on those matters and managing their resources in a smarter way.

I guess I just don't see this?

There is no PS XOXO this week, likely next week or in the next month(s). Greg said yesterday he's leaning towards cancelling the show altogether. That's a sizeable amount of people who abruptly are trying to find an alternative to a podcast they listened to weekly that is now on indefinite hiatus.

It's like when I looked for a podcast substitute when GT Time went away. This situation is similar to if your favorite tv show is cancelled, you move on. You don't feel like you are "cheating" or being "poached" when the alternative is literally to just not listen/watch anything at all.

If/when there's a new PS podcast from them, i'll check it out.

There is no PS XOXO this week, likely next week or in the next month(s). Greg said yesterday he's leaning towards cancelling the show altogether. That's a sizeable amount of people who abruptly are trying to find an alternative to a podcast they listened to weekly that is now on indefinite hiatus.

It's like when I looked for a podcast substitute when GT Time went away. This situation is similar to if your favorite tv show is cancelled, you move on. You don't feel like you are "cheating" or being "poached" when the alternative is literally to just not listen/watch anything at all.

If/when there's a new PS podcast from them, i'll check it out.
A less scummy way to do it would be a general "podcast recommendations for PS XOXO fans" or something

Instead of "hey sucks your thing is fucked, but check out this other thing instead"

To me it's less "fans of this should check this out" and more opportunistic (regardless of positive intentions). It's not even a Playstation podcast, and Kinda Funny still exists

Auctopus

It's not a big deal, it just felt kinda weird imo. I'm more than happy if more people are checking out the Allies.

Kasper

I'm on the side of this being scummy. If I didn't already follow EZA I would definitely be put off by that kind of post, deeming it a snake oil salesman.

A less scummy way to do it would be a general "podcast recommendations for PS XOXO fans" or something

Instead of "hey sucks your thing is fucked, but check out this other thing instead"

To me it's less "fans of this should check this out" and more opportunistic (regardless of positive intentions). It's not even a Playstation podcast, and Kinda Funny still exists

I guess I really just don't get there's an antagonistic or "hey sucks your thing is fucked" vibe from that. But in reality, their shit IS fucked for them/their listeners at this time. They literally are on indefinite hiatus. Waiting around for the next episode might be a while/never happening. It's not saying "stop" listening to ps xoxo, there literally is nothing to listen to.

I guess it's opportunistic, but it's good to be that? More people being exposed to them is a great thing. Especially when they have 0% to do with the other podcast problems/drama. An unsolicited fan putting forward a suggestion I just don't think is a bad thing for them.

I do however agree that it could have been worded more "artfully," but I have no problem with the premise.

CyReN

It looks scummy and desperate to me. Imagine (god forbid) someone left EZA and someone did that to us. A better way to go at it was about their one year coming up and promoting L&R, not poaching.

Not to rag on the OP, I think you meant well btw.

I guess I really just don't get there's an antagonistic or "hey sucks your thing is fucked" vibe from that. But in reality, their shit IS fucked for them/their listeners at this time. They literally are on indefinite hiatus. Waiting around for the next episode might be a while/never happening. It's not saying "stop" listening to ps xoxo, there literally is nothing to listen to.

I guess it's opportunistic, but it's good to be that? More people being exposed to them is a great thing. Especially when they have 0% to do with the other podcast problems/drama. An unsolicited fan putting forward a suggestion I just don't think is a bad thing for them.

I do however agree that it could have been worded more "artfully," but I have no problem with the premise.
Just imagine if the day GT shut down someone made a thread saying "bummed about GT? There's never been a better time to check out Kinda Funny"

Of course KF isn't shutting down but the site was built on the pair of Colin and Greg

That thread to me doesn't seem like "I'm a huge Kinda Funny fan and I see a lot of the same virtues in EZA". It reads like "oh, perfect opportunity to plug and get their audience". Looking at it again it doesn't even mention Kinda Funny or anything in the OP.

Again I can appreciate spreading the word but I can't say I'm thrilled about something like that

CoolOff

https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCZrxXp1reP8E353rZsB3jaA/futureprojections/subscribers

2017-03-14
-- Now --

2017-03-24
10 days

They will hit 100k on their celebration if it just picks up a tiny bit more.

q7693Eb.gif

Just imagine if the day GT shut down someone made a thread saying "bummed about GT? There's never been a better time to check out Kinda Funny"

Of course KF isn't shutting down but the site was built on the pair of Colin and Greg

That thread to me doesn't seem like "I'm a huge Kinda Funny fan and I see a lot of the same virtues in EZA". It reads like "oh, perfect opportunity to plug and get their audience". Looking at it again it doesn't even mention Kinda Funny or anything in the OP.

Again I can appreciate spreading the word but I can't say I'm thrilled about something like that

Sure, I wish the OP would have mentioned similarities and why people who listened to ps xoxo might like the EZA pod.

But I don't think it's really "scummy" or in poor taste when the podcast is ending and people are trying to find something new. Thousands of people today will not have an expected ps xoxo pod and who knows if/when there will be a new one. I guess the disconnect I have is many of you are using "opportunistic" in a bad way and I think it's generally a good thing. Especially if there's no "backdoor shady deals" going on here.

Auctopus

Catching up on DGM.

I can't believe Kyle was looking for Tai-Fu, that was my favourite game as a kid! No idea how well it's aged but the boxart is still great...

T'ai_Fu_Wrath_of_the_Tiger_NTSC.jpg

Wiggy

The kinda funny stuff got me thinking: who will leave eza first?

My money's on Huber leaving to pursue his game show host dreams

MrMette

Yeah, I don't really think this is a good way to go either. I personally didn't feel KF at all when I saw their podcast when EZA started (with Brandon on) and I will probably never watch them again. It really seemed that only one of them was interested and the two other were there against their will. That said, I wish them and their fans all the best and I am sure it won't be that big of a problem. They will lose some subs and patrons, but they certainly aren't dead and they will probably bounce back rather quickly.

I don't have a problem with people trying to make EZA bigger, but I think it should grow naturally instead of trying to leech from a mishap from other communities. I am sure some of their fans will find their way to EZA without having that thread.

Axass

It's really all about the very badly worded title that, to quote someone else, "reads like an infomercial" and gives bad vibes.

The OP and the rest of the thread aren't bad at all, aside from the usual but sporadic comparisons.

I think that thread was in bad taste yes of course we want EZA to grow but don't make a thread trying to poach KF fans.

What ill say about KF is that Colin leaving is a real shame Colin was right was a good show and PS I Love You XoXo if its not cancelled will never be the same.

sora87

One year later and we got two episodes of Game Sleuth and one Retrospective is pretty disappointing tbh.

Yeah, very disappointing. They should have a schedule for them by now. If it means a few of the allies streaming less for a while then so be it.

farisr

I have often had the thought of what would happen if one of the Allies leaves/which one would be the first to leave, then proceed to immediately try to distract myself and think about something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom