• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tankard

Whoa, i think it was me all along, i went to bed the run before his monster one.

I did bet he would break his record last night though, but was off by 49k =)

Auctopus

Congrats to Kyle on that
score. Amazing what consistent practice and a bit of time can do for your skills. I remember back at GT, the team used to talk about how good he was at Tetris. That Kyle is a mere shadow compared to the player now.

Of course he sets a new record to one of the best soundtracks of recent memory too.

Woah I missed that Brandon streamed another Dragon Quest Builders. His chapter 2 castle is insane! I'm glad he ended up liking the chapter structure. Given how much he put and theorized in chapter 1 I was concerned.

KeRaSh

Awesome Tetris run, Kyle! Congratulations!
Am I the only one saluting the Buran when watching the VOD? Just me? Alright...

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I added a bot for submitting songs during Bozman v. Wozniak.

"!song ..." submits a song.
"!picksong" picks a random song (and removes it from the list).
"!resetsongs" resets the song submissions.

Only one song per user is allowed. Only channel moderators can pick and reset songs.

Budi

Anybody know specs to Huber's PC? I'm a bit bothered by the line in the BF1 review ": "perfomance hasnt been sacrificed either, the game holds steady 60 fps even on a modest PC". I was just talking with my friend who has been playing it and he told me he can't really run it and he also stated it wouldn't run on mine either. I built my PC last december so I went to check and I can't even reach the minimum specs. The game requires CPU from 2016 minimum. So it left me wondering what Huber considers to be a modest PC. I get it that he was just commenting on how the game performed while doing the review, but calling his PC modest got me thinking about it.

Anybody know specs to Huber's PC? I'm a bit bothered by the line in the BF1 review ": "perfomance hasnt been sacrificed either, the game holds steady 60 fps even on a modest PC". I was just talking with my friend who has been playing it and he told me he can't really run it and he also stated it wouldn't run on mine either. I built my PC last december so I went to check and I can't even reach the minimum specs. The game requires CPU from 2016/7 minimum. So it left me wondering what Huber considers to be a modest PC. I get it that he was just commenting on how the game performed while doing the review, but calling his PC modest got me thinking about it.

I know he has a 980, not sure about his CPU or RAM.

Budi

I know he has a 980, not sure about his CPU or RAM.

Ok thanks, I would be fine otherwise too. CPU is my demise didn't really think it would be outdated this fast. Or I guess it's more about BF1 being CPU heavy game, I played Mankind Divided for example without any problems. But it didn't have multiplayer with 64 people.

farisr

Sigh... My 1 year old harddrive that I was archiving EZA stuff on just failed and is beyond repair. It had every single video so far, plus stuff from twitch streams that sometimes gets cut out when they put up those vids on youtube.

I give up.

and no it wasn't a seagate

eerik9000

Decided to cancel my pledge on Patreon.

I don't watch live streams, most pre-recorded stuff doesn't interest me, and the overall quality is low. I expected things to get better with the constant money coming via Patreon, but so far over the past 6 months, I have not noticed any improvements.If anything, it's gotten worse, just see the latest episodes of Frame Trap and Easy Allies Podcast for that matter. Also, not having Bosman doing a regular show besides the Podcast is a huge loss. yuuuge loss...

I don't watch live streams, most pre-recorded stuff doesn't interest me, and the overall quality is low. I expected things to get better with the constant money coming via Patreon, but so far over the past 6 months, I have not noticed any improvements.If anything, it's gotten worse, just see the latest episodes of Frame Trap and Easy Allies Podcast for that matter. Also, not having Bosman doing a regular show besides the Podcast is a huge loss. yuuuge loss...

That's my issue with Kinda Funny too. A lot of low quality, low effort content. The vast bulk of what they post are just podcast excepts.

I guess it's cool if one just can't get enough of their personalities, but whatever happened to original features?

Dmax3901

I don't really get people who are upset over sound/camera issues. Like you can still see Kyle's face does it really matter you can't see what his left hand and leg are doing?

Budi

Unfortunate to hear that, I hope you still stick around to atleast watch the shows you somewhat enjoy. Bosman is a regular on D&D, I get it if that doesn't interest you though. But when you say the quality has gotten worse, you mean technical aspects? Yeah there has been some mild problems now and then. But other than that I couldn't agree with their content getting worse. You would be more helpful if you were more specific than say look for yourself, since I don't think many understand what you exactly mean. Besides the tech problems and I understand that complaint, they are supposed to be professionals not just people uploading videos from their garage. That being said, I haven't been bothered by the audio/camera.

sora87

Shame to hear that eerik, not sure what your expectations were as they're doing pretty much the exact same as they were at GT.

Budi

Even though I'll still keep pledging, I can't disagree with anything eerick said.

Would it be possible for you to be more specific then, you mean the techical problems or something else? We all want them to improve, so it would be great to hear what is bothering people.

I get where you are coming from. I'll give it time until the one year anniversary, before I decide whether to cancel my Patreon or not. Six months is not a lot of time, especially not for a small company, but I feel like there hasn't really been a progression in terms of produced content or a progression in general. It's clear to me that they can't really cover the produced video content that I liked at GT (Final Bosman, Just Played, old Mandatory Update) and I don't know if that's even the goal anymore. I really, really love these guys. I could listen to Ben's thoughtful rants forever and I still think that the way Kyle moderates the podcast, makes it the best in the biz. They all have great personalities and it's always fun to watch them, but as someone who really cannot stand anything about Twitch and thinks game streams are boring, the only chance I get is to watch/listen to the podcasts and I don't know if it's enough anymore.

What's worse is that by pulling the money, I know that I'll make it less likely for them to succeed at what I wish for. But at the same time I'm not seeing anything that gets them to the magical 50k Studio goal. I also think that it would help to prioritize old shows over new formats. Maybe it's just me, but I'd be more willing to up my pledge from 10 bucks a month to 15 or more, if the 40k goal was a new weekly Trailer Score, rather than something we've only gotten one episode of.

I'm still not giving up on them, because I know that they're working hard with that they got and they still manage to get new stuff off the ground, like a new Fiasco show. That really gives me hope. But the honeymoon is over now.

I think EZA should take a page for 4Player Podcast and upload stream highlights. It make for good 3 to 5 minute bite sized chunks of what are 1 - 2 hour long streams.

Budi

I'm also not very interested in their Twitch streams, never was even during GT perioid. If I would wan't to watch someone stream though, it would be them. I watched the group streams in the beginning on Youtube, but I've dropped that too. So I echo the thoughts of some people here that I would also like to see more produced content. Blood already stated that next two weeks would be strong in that regard so I'm happy about that. Sometimes I feel that EZA got things up and running too fast, since people see this as they are resting on their laurels now. Which ofcourse isn't true.

Brandon has stated many times why they aren't doing top tens anymore, but I wonder if it could be done if it wasn't a weekly thing. Once or twice a month, use some of the time when group gathers to discuss them. Also not everyone absolutely needs to be present on every discussion. I really think that top tens could be worth the effort to please the current fan base and bring new people in. So rather than wait for studio to start top tens, start top tens to help reach the studio goal. I loved the little bit of discussion about best Mario haunted houses in the last podcast.

I don't really follow other gaming media much these days, I've watched Kinda Funny a bit. They are only doing podcasts and panels basically? How about Giant Bomb? I'd just like to know so I can have some idea what would be fair to expect from this kind of production.

Edit: About Twitch, as I said earlier I've watched some of the group streams. Also while in GT I enjoyed them a bit more since those weren't solo streams as they mainly are now. This is another thing where having a studio would help. Having 2 or 3 people in the stream is the sweet spot for me. If they stream alone I find it a bit boring usually and in group streams it can be too chaotic sometimes.

Hasney

Brandon has stated many times why they aren't doing top tens anymore, but I wonder if it could be done if it wasn't a weekly thing. Once or twice a month, use some of the time when group gathers to discuss them. Also not everyone absolutely needs to be present on every discussion. I really think that top tens could be worth the effort to please the current fan base and bring new people in. So rather than wait for studio to start top tens, start top tens to help reach the studio goal. I loved the little bit of discussion about best Mario haunted houses in the last podcast.

I don't really follow other gaming media much these days, I've watched Kinda Funny a bit. They are only doing podcasts and panels basically? How about Giant Bomb? I'd just like to know so I can have some idea what would be fair to expect from this kind of production.

I don't think they really liked doing Top 10's, they just did them to get views, which isn't that great an idea as there was no real viewership retaining. Just look at the threads on here where they were constantly shit on for opinions, which was hilarious.

Giant Bomb has 2 weekly podcasts, a quick look of most games which is two of them playing a game and talking about it, a weekly premium show which may as well be the weekly EZA Group Stream except they all bring their own game to play. most of their premium stuff is just streaming a game with 2-4 of them. Also lots of complaints about the lack of premium content in their monthly thread.

Budi

I don't think they really liked doing Top 10's, they just did them to get views, which isn't that great an idea as there was no real viewership retaining. Just look at the threads on here where they were constantly shit on for opinions, which was hilarious.

Sure that's fair if they don't like doing them, then they shouldn't. Just keep doing stuff they are passionate about and enjoy doing. But I still hold some hope if they had some kind of "Best of" series where they discuss things like I mentioned about the haunted houses but just in more in depth. This could be part of Frame Trap and EZA podcast too, but I'd prefer it to be separate. Also I think any Top 10 list gets shit on in the internet, that's the nature of them when viewers are thinking the lists are factual and not opinions. And in the end the discussion they bring is a positive imo.

And thanks for the info on GB! Seems to me that EZA is doing bit more in quantity and variety of content. Not that it would be a competition though, so this isn't ment as a knock on GB.

If I wanted to be controversial, I'd say drop the reviews.
They seem to clog up any other kind of content being produced and personally don't really interest me too much.

Budi

They seem to clog up any other kind of content being produced and personally don't really interest me too much.

What would you like to see more of then? I don't think it would a good idea though, from my understanding they enjoy doing reviews. And they bring in the viewers.

Edit: I wouldn't mind if they had a dedicated show for TV/Movies too.

Just let people support what they want, guys. If EZA wasn't playing to the person's taste then they have every right to stop supporting/watching - they don't need to provide reasons.

For example, this. I'd stop pledging if this happened because I pledge so they can making gaming content.

I understand that, it's just that there's a limit of how much they can talk about games. So in that sense I think it could be beneficial to broaden their content even more. Some of us turn in for the personalities and some for their knowledge and professionalism in games. But i'm just mainly throwing out ideas.

This is a good point. Reviews are a big time investment for what might be relatively little return. You have to play the full game, then script, record, grab footage, and edit...all for one video.

I suppose it makes sense if people were already intending to play the games, but if not, it seems like that time could be spent more efficiently doing something a billion other outlets don't already do

Lack of studio basically, it was so easy to grab people together for discussions when they all were already working in the same place.

Thx!

Auctopus

Just let people support what they want, guys. If EZA wasn't playing to the person's taste then they have every right to stop supporting/watching - they don't need to provide reasons.

Edit: I wouldn't mind if they had a dedicated show for TV/Movies too.

For example, this. I'd stop pledging if this happened because I pledge so they can making gaming content.

Chuck

Still without luck
Would it be possible for you to be more specific then, you mean the techical problems or something else? We all want them to improve, so it would be great to hear what is bothering people.

For me, as someone entirely new to the crew this year (aside from Blood) I just wish it wasn't as much of a side thing as it still is. Jones said he wants to have a studio space, but how long is that going to take? Is it ever going to be the new GT like everyone wants?

Their equipment and setup doesn't seem like it matches the money they take in every month, but maybe it does since they have 9 guys. This past week was just a mess.

Naw. Outside live streaming press conferences That's their biggest recruitment tool. They've said time and again reviews is how people have discovered that the ol GT crew still exists and gets some of their biggest views

Plus I'd easily take reviews over things like top 10s that are so saturated these days on YouTube.

Me I'm overwhelmed with the content they produce and have no issue with my patreon pledge. Yes I'd like a show here or there but their providing so much compelling content (much more so than in the GT days) and their E3 coverage was better than it ever was. But if others don't, that's fine. It's not for everyone.

Edit
Now one thing I do want to get info is the status of Bens tales from Japan. We've only gotten one video. I expected one a week since the trip and there's been no word after the first one.

sora87

The reviews are a very big investment for what gets about 20k views normally. Also they're mostly late, sometimes by weeks, which is probably why they get low views. They should probably take a look at that.

I'm happy with everything overall myself, if I could have one thing I'd like the JRPG trio streams back, maybe every other week. Ben, Brad and Kyle just sitting down to play through a JRPG for a few hours, that'd be nice to have back.

Mista Koo

As someone who is subscribed to both but isn't paying for either: I like GB's quick looks, basically one off videos of newly released games (which range from AAA to obscure stuff) with two people commentating/chatting. I think having more than one person is key to get me to watch people play games, also it makes for natural conversation without the need to address chat or whatever to fill the silence.
I also follow both of GB podcasts. They are similar to EZA podcast except an hour longer, which allows them to be more free form and have Frame Trap like "what you've been up to/playing" part while covering news etc. Each podcast has their panel based on physical location.

I think they haven't figured out their identity yet. The reviews seem like a holdover from their more journalistic past. They don't mesh with a lot of their current content. Also I personally don't care for them but that's not here nor there.
Speaking of figuring out their identity, I have big issues with Easy Update. I like Ian (top 3 allies probably), I appreciate his creativity, and I often enjoy the show. But is it really a show when you have absolutely no idea what to expect?? There are at least 2 formats he did that I can see made into shows that would make a nice addition to the channel.

Fou-Lu

I'm happy with everything overall myself, if I could have one thing I'd like the JRPG trio streams back, maybe every other week. Ben, Brad and Kyle just sitting down to play through a JRPG for a few hours, that'd be nice to have back.

I would looooove this.

Mikey Jr.

Why does their new webcam look like it was bought in a flea market? I honestly don't get that part.

I watch all these twitch streams and the visual quality looks absolutely superb. Look at kinda funny.
https://www.twitch.tv/kindafunnygames/v/95920667

Now look at eza.
https://www.twitch.tv/easyallies/v/96087792

Looks like blurry crap. And this is the "new" camera.

And another thing, I don't get the "we need 45k to bring back trailer score". Like.....wut.

It is literally sit 3 guys in front of a tv, play a trailer, talk over it for 5-6 minutes. Done. Just spend 2 hours a week or whatever, do a whole batch of them, and then release them over a few weeks. I guess there is some editing, but I'm not even sure how much of that there really is.

Budi

For me, as someone entirely new to the crew this year (aside from Blood) I just wish it wasn't as much of a side thing as it still is. Jones said he wants to have a studio space, but how long is that going to take? Is it ever going to be the new GT like everyone wants?

Their equipment and setup doesn't seem like it matches the money they take in every month, but maybe it does since they have 9 guys. This past week was just a mess.

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, I still miss the GT days. I've been going back to their old content recently, currently watching Phantom Pain spoilercast again. I still haven't got my Witcher 3 spoilercast from EZA :/ I don't know if they are happier doing content supported by community or were they happier under employer with steady paycheck and office. Atleast now they have a free reign so that's a positive. But they also can be under much more pressure now to meet the expectations of Patrons.

Would be interesting to know how the Patreon money is being spent. I mean a detailed breakdown. Not that I would have any doubts that it isn't used wisely and efficiently. Cup of Jones episode could touch on that maybe, would also increase transparency and increase trust in people who doubt.

But as much as I loved GT, I'm really grateful to have Easy Allies. Would be a real bummer if they weren't around producing content together. The group has been part of my weekly routines from the start, when some of them were just interns. I'm really satisfied with my Patreon support.

Why does their new webcam look like it was bought in a flea market? I honestly don't get that part.

I watch all these twitch streams and the visual quality looks absolutely superb. Look at kinda funny.
https://www.twitch.tv/kindafunnygames/v/95920667

Now look at eza.
https://www.twitch.tv/easyallies/v/96087792

Looks like blurry crap. And this is the "new" camera.

I think Damiani answered the reaction stream camera question earlier. But isn't the audio in that Kinda Funny clip quite bad? Picture looks really good though. They have been around much longer than EZA has, so Allies have some catching up to do regarding studio space and better group stream setup.

I think having more than one person is key to get me to watch people play games, also it makes for natural conversation without the need to address chat or whatever to fill the silence.

I prefer this also, thanks for the info on GB.

As someone who is subscribed to both but isn't paying for either: I like GB's quick looks, basically one off videos of newly released games (which range from AAA to obscure stuff) with two people commentating/chatting. I think having more than one person is key to get me to watch people play games, also it makes for natural conversation without the need to address chat or whatever to fill the silence.

Yup, with the exception of most of Ben's I only watch streams with multiple people.

I know they're not to everyones tastes, but it's why I will watch Two Best Friends play almost anything.

Remember KF has cameras that cost 1000s of $$$, no surprise their streams look much better.

Does EZA not bring in $1000s every month?

PepperedHam

Remember KF has cameras that cost 1000s of $$$, no surprise their streams look much better.
Yeah uh, this.

No doubt they could do with some improvements but comparing their set up to Kinda Funny who has a full studio space with super super expensive equipment just isn't fair. It's silly to do so.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think EZA should take a page for 4Player Podcast and upload stream highlights. It make for good 3 to 5 minute bite sized chunks of what are 1 - 2 hour long streams.

They absolutely SHOULD be doing this. Its an easy and quick way for people to advertise why a pledge to their Patreon down the road will be worth it as each trailer of "best bits" is a hook. Unconvinced people aren't going to sit down to a 2 hour livestream, podcast or D&D session, they need the tidbits first to convince them. Hubers E3 reactions clipped out were the start of something amazing, but that doesn't just have to be E3/trade show moments.

Youtubers (Game Grumps, etc) know to do this, and ex-video producers on videogames should know to do so as well. Best of Easy Allies should be a monthly thing, or they should give the good graces to someone in the community to produce it. Needs to be on the EZA channel, mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom