• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBboy20

Also, this thread is dangerously close to becoming an echo chamber where people consider the dozen or so people who post in here's opinion as the mindset of the entire EZA fanbase. I donate/give the money to EZA each month so they can do what they feel is best with it. A horse by committee is a camel.
ONR1U2T.gif

Kasper

I personally have zero interest in reviews but still feel that they have their place. For the most part slightly late reviews shouldn't be that big of an issue either, though I do agree that with a game as relatively quick and insignificant as ReCore it should probably either have been out closer to release or not been reviewed at all. It's not a big release that will continue to have people interested and neither is it niche enough to cater to a specific fan group. It just resides in this no man's land where it'll be forgotten until people start claiming it's a diamond in the rough ten years from now.

When it comes to streams I think it's also not something that should necessarily get any big changes. It does it's job and I don't see them removing a few streams actually resulting in that much more time spent on producing show content. It brings in much needed Twitch cash as well.

However, I do think the show schedule as-is is a little weak. I wasn't expecting GT levels of content, but I had hoped to either see one more weekly, properly produced shows at this point or more semi-produced stuff like Just Played segments and the like. Also, the fact that we have only gotten one episode of Game Sleuth at this point is a little disheartening and definitely not what I was expecting. I don't know if it means that Damiani is working on several at once, but is stuck at various points of the production of each for various reasons with stuff holding up their release, of if the production of even one episode is this big of an undertaking, which seems extreme.

I was actually hoping the guys would reach out to the community in terms of helping with bringing some of their old shows like for example Level back, outsourcing the editing process to willing third parties with the know-how and the interest, and then providing them with a script from an Ally and VO from Brandon. This might be more trouble than it's worth, though. I don't know, I just saw interest from various people at some point and it seemed to never really get either a solid yes or no response from the Allies.

Mista Koo

I agree on the appreciation and understanding part. But I think everyone is well aware that some of EZA are reading and participating in this thread. That's exactly why I asked the person dropping their pledge to give specific criticism. To give feedback, I think that's one reason why creators follow youtube comments, forum discussions and such. I also hope that this thread would be better (it is) than Youtube comments and people share their opinions in respectful and more helpful manner than what might happen in tube comments. I mean, what's the point to drop into the thread and tell us that they aren't gonna support in Patreon anymore without telling why they don't feel it's worth it. Do we need to know when someone does or doesn't support them through Patreon, not really. Could it be helpful and informative to EZA crew explain why, yes. We are yet to see if the Tales from the East get's it name changed. But if it does, it was directly a reaction to comment in this thread that went further than "I don't like the name."
I mean it's up to them whether they read the thread or not, it's just that my comments aren't gonna be as constructive or subtle as if I was directly addressing them.

I pretty much listen to FrameTrap and watch streams to tell if I should get a newly released game or not (can't wait to hear more about Civ 6). I think the reviews are great for games that you may have missed the boat on but you are wondering if you should pick up way later, maybe for like a sale or something. In that sense I like the way ReCore was done. Like I can watch the Battlefield 1 review, but then I'm probably going to listen to discussion/streams anyway so the review itself is less important to me around release. But like a year and a half from now it won't be worth it to comb through streams to find out if I should pick up Battlefield 1 for $6.99.

I'm also super happy that we're getting more Tabletop shows!

Auctopus

I already tweeted him about it but Huber needs to watch the second episode of the new Black Mirror entitled "Playtest". It was like it was created for him!

Man I love frame trap Monday nights! Still working through it

I think I feel better cancelling the World of FF pre-order after Damiani's impressions. The demo and late review embargo made me nervous

Looove the battlefield 1 talk.

Karu

This is the first Easy Allies video I've watched, but I'm getting immediate vibes of old GameTrailers reviews - in a very good way. The manner of writing so similar that it's being mentally filled in with Daniel Kayser's voice in my head.

I assume there's a connection? I'm about to look this up, and I'll be damned if there's not.
Right under the Titanfall 2 review lol 8)

Roubjon

Isn't the Switch going to be the successor to both the 3DS and the WiiU? It confused me a lot when the panel in Frame Trap were so worried about 3rd party support when the DS and the 3DS had an absolutely amazing 3rd party library. If I were to combine the WiiU and 3DS library we have now that would be an astonishingly awesome group of games. Ben was the only one who even brought up the idea that it is theoretically consolidating both the games from 3DS and WiiU.

PtM

Banned
Isn't the Switch going to be the successor to both the 3DS and the WiiU? It confused me a lot when the panel in Frame Trap were so worried about 3rd party support when the DS and the 3DS had an absolutely amazing 3rd party library. If I were to combine the WiiU and 3DS library we have now that would be an astonishingly awesome group of games. Ben was the only one who even brought up the idea that it is theoretically consolidating both the games from 3DS and WiiU.
Third pillar.

Karu

Ben, great review of Titanfall 2 and 1A editing by Brandon; man, the soundtrack sounds really good! If it wasn't for MW:R which I just can't miss I would almost regret my preorder of IW, but eh. Might pick up Titanfall 2 down the line though.

With Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2 and MW:R the shooter genre is just stacked with quality this fall. And I am one of the few who actually liked the IW Beta.

Mario007

Listening to Damiani talk about anything Nintendo is a horrific experience, about as bad as reading an n4g comment.
Also he mistakingly mentioned that Red Dead Redemption might be coming to the Switch...which got me thinking, Nintendo's next brand new console will not have RDR2, ie the biggest game next year. That's an awful start.

Karu

Nah, Damiani spoke truth about Switch.
Edit: Well, not specifics like particular ports etc., but generally speaking.

Awesome episode all around.

Budi

Listening to Damiani talk about anything Nintendo is a horrific experience, about as bad as reading an n4g comment.
Also he mistakingly mentioned that Red Dead Redemption might be coming to the Switch...which got me thinking, Nintendo's next brand new console will not have RDR2, ie the biggest game next year. That's an awful start.

I have no idea what you are talking about, is this because of your preconcieved notions? I found the Switch discussion to be the highlight of the podcast. Interesting and passionate thoughts from all of them, nothing horrific about it. Also was really happy to hear some Civ 6 talk, always a pleasure when they give some time to PC exclusives too!

About Switch not having the next Red Dead, while it's disappointing I agree. I don't think it matters in the long run. PC might not get it and it would still be the best platform to play in the future. But if this indeed becomes a trend once again, it will hurt Nintendo for sure. But missing RDR alone doesn't really matter. Platforms won't live or die because of one game.

Edit: Just to add, I think PC version is more probable than Switch. That's how I would prefer it too, even though I have interest in Switch.

Edit 2: Points to Huber for mentioning Blue Valentine, it's indeed an excellent film!

Hasney

Looks like a good week for streaming.

I really hope jack party box 3 won for the group stream.

No.

Farming simulator.

Nah for real, the new games on there are pretty great. I think it's the best Jackbox yet. might do a EZA GAF community stream of it if people are down.

Think Tee KO needs a bit of a Cards Against Humanity level of humor to really land, but the Murder and Audience Poll games (forget the names) are great.

sora87

TF2 looks good but I sucked at the first one so meh :p I've heard lots of good things about World of FF so I'll pick that up.

WarRock

Frame Trap was sooo good. Shout outs to Ben for asking specifics on how Damiani and Huber felt about their games and for the counterpoints during Switch discussion.

Really like Huber/Ben together.

J-Skee

Brad & Huber are bumming me out on Frame Trap. Is this what it's like for Nintendo fans to be burned by Nintendo in the past 10 years or so?

Being that I've never had a Nintendo console, I'm really excited to see what they have in store. They're so focused on the power of the Switch, whereas I think we should look into the potential of it. The Switch is the first non-PlayStation console where I'm considering getting 3rd part games for. I grew up with nothing but PlayStation consoles, & yet, when Dragon Quest XI comes out, I have to seriously consider getting it for the Switch. I like JRPGs, but it's tough to play solely on a television. They seem much more tailored to being portable. It's always nice to have more power, but I think ease in playing & accessibility is also just as important. I was never a PC gamer, so specs just don't matter to me. And the idea of playing what looks to be an amazing 3D Zelda title anytime I want? That's a luxury I can't ignore.

UrbanRats

Regarding what Damiani was saying, it's true that the Switch doesn't have complicated gimmicks, but i don't know how straight forward it is to port a game, when the HW is still severely under powered compared to the competition, and it's running on Nvidia chips instead of AMD ones (ok, that's not a big deal, especially if there's a PC version, but it's still something to consider, given how close Xbox and PS4 are).
I guess my point is, i can't see someone like R*, reworking their game to fit into a lesser HW, especially if those changes are fundamental in structure to the game design.

And i don't think porting games to WiiU, HW disparity aside, was that big of a deal for most developers, since most of them, Nintendo included, seemed to just ignore the dual screen thing in the first place, beyond slapping a menu on there.
The problem was the old HW, as i mentioned above and, especially, the non-existent install base.

Hasney

Brad & Huber are bumming me out on Frame Trap. Is this what it's like for Nintendo fans to be burned by Nintendo in the past 10 years or so?

Being that I've never had a Nintendo console, I'm really excited to see what they have in store. They're so focused on the power of the Switch, whereas I think we should look into the potential of it. The Switch is the first non-PlayStation console where I'm considering getting 3rd part games for. I grew up with nothing but PlayStation consoles, & yet, when Dragon Quest XI comes out, I have to seriously consider getting it for the Switch. I like JRPGs, but it's tough to play solely on a television. They seem much more tailored to being portable. It's always nice to have more power, but I think ease in playing & accessibility is also just as important. I was never a PC gamer, so specs just don't matter to me. And the idea of playing what looks to be an amazing 3D Zelda title anytime I want? That's a luxury I can't ignore.

I always play on my TV. I'm getting a Switch for Nintendo games, I doubt I'll ever buy any nonexclusive 3rd parties for it, so they don't bother me either wah. I'll go where the game plays best, so the next Dragon Quest on PS4 Pro.

cm osi

it's not about the power to push 4k/60, it's about the minimal power expected to support the present 3d engines and a little futureproofing. if you don't have it, you won't get any third party, and the console will be again the platform for the nintendo games. which is fine if you have other platform bt many other people aren't gonna buy it only for that

Hasney

it's not about the power to push 4k/60, it's about the minimal power expected to support the present 3d engines and a little futureproofing. if you don't have it, you won't get any third party, and the console will be again the platform for the nintendo games. which is fine if you have other platform bt many other people aren't gonna buy it only for that

Rumours pin it around the level of an XB1, maybe ever so slightly under, so as long as the libraries are on point, I don't see any reasons why third party ports won't keep coming for the duration of this generation as long as the install base is there.

Rumours pin it around the level of an XB1, maybe ever so slightly under, so as long as the libraries are on point, I don't see any reasons why third party ports won't keep coming for the duration of this generation as long as the install base is there.

I'd also note that what MS and Sony are doing with iterative versions of the same console is one of the first things Nintendo mentioned with the NX - that it's more of an operating system that would have multiple hardware iterations. That's still part of this puzzle that's yet to play out. And while it's pretty unlikely that they'd launch with multiple SKUs, (especially considering how that went for the Wii U) I wouldn't be surprised to see different configurations either.

Oh hey, they finally talked about Valkyria: Azure Revolution on Frame Trap. That took a while.

I didn't know they might do an English demo - thanks for that news Damiani!

Massa

I'd also note that what MS and Sony are doing with iterative versions of the same console is one of the first things Nintendo mentioned with the NX - that it's more of an operating system that would have multiple hardware iterations. That's still part of this puzzle that's yet to play out. And while it's pretty unlikely that they'd launch with multiple SKUs, (especially considering how that went for the Wii U) I wouldn't be surprised to see different configurations either.

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if they released a non-portable version for really cheap not long after launch.

UrbanRats

Considering the system has to even run under-clocked when bringing it around (unless they want to chew through battery life in 2 hours) i don't know how many games can scale down that well.
The iteration theory though makes sense to me.

Auctopus

I think the Battlefield 4 server troubles at the beginning of its lifespan did a world of trouble in regards to casual players' perspectives of the game.

I've put dozens of hours into Battlefield 4 and can confidently say that the action, versatility of classes and range of maps exceed that of Battlefield 1. Now, that's not a bad thing, Battlefield 1 is doing a tremendous job with its limited time period and setting. It's certainly worthy of all the praise. But it's sort of frustrating when it feels like the Allies are throwing 4 under the bus (especially when I didn't hear them talk much about it when it hit its stride) because BF1 is the new hotness. There are certainly improvements to the franchise in this latest entry but in lots of ways (UI, Map construction, playing the objective), there are several steps back.

Nevertheless, BF4, BF1 and FT are all good.

Mikey Jr.

For me, I don't play games outside my house.

I work in a trade, I don't have the luxury or time to pull out this fat tablet with sticks poking out the side.
If I go outside, it's not for video games. Maybe it'd be nice for road trips, but that's rare.
So I'm trying to think where portability is a factor for me, and I'm hard pressed to think of one. That's why I was never into portables.

So the portable nature of this console is out. What's left? Power. If I game 99% of the time in my room on my 50" tv, why would I play multiplats on the switch?
The fact is that compared to the ps4 and x1, it is going to be far weaker.

And I am invested in the playstation ecosystem. My games are there, friends, trophies, etc.

Plus Nintendo has a LOT to prove in terms of online infrastructure, system level ui, and just basic common sense. Yeah, the hardware is nice. But remember the first months of wiiu? Terrible. Shit was slow, and other stupid crap. It was a terrible launch. So yeah, I'm not going to blindly jump into a Nintendo console.
The games are great, everything around it is ass-tastic.

And that Joycon controllers really do not look comfortable,and no dpad. But I'd have to try it and see.

Hasney

Yeah, it makes a lot of sense for both Nvidia and Nintendo since the Android tablet market isn't in that great a spot (even though I love my NVidia-based Pixel C) so they can actually get some revenue on these chipsets and keep pushing them since this is the tech they want in regular consumer-level autonomous cars. Roborace and the latest Tesla are busy using something Titan Pascal based, mind you.

Considering the system has to even run under-clocked when bringing it around (unless they want to chew through battery life in 2 hours) i don't know how many games can scale down that well.
The iteration theory though makes sense to me.

I think if you aim for an undocked 720p locked resolution, it shouldn't be too bad. Depends a lot on how their memory architecture is too as XB1 was hamstrung slightly by having a pool of regular DDR and a small amount of ESRAM.

Massa

I think the Battlefield 4 server troubles at the beginning of its lifespan did a world of trouble in regards to casual players' perspectives of the game.

It went far beyond server troubles, the game would straight up crash often. To this day they still haven't fixed the widespread save file corruption issues.

BBboy20

We have a Hollywood actor on Twitch (some dude from Black Sails but...yeah, this is probably exciting for anybody who watches that show).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom