• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visceir

I'm probably not the target audience for EZanime, but as someone who never really watches anime I'd probably be more likely to listen to the podcast if they talked about more obscure or older anime movies or shorter series that I could treat as a recommendation -- treat it more like a book club.

MrMette

Ahhh shit, I'm sorry, man.

I always just automatically assume I'm the last person to watch something.

I'll be more careful in future.

No worries, I know this wasn't done on purpose and I had to be more careful. If I haven't seen some of their shows (eg. TTE), I am usually quite careful here, but because I saw most of this weeks shows already, I didn't think about possible spoilers.

I always watch the groupstream in the weekend, but usually it doesn't matter to me if I know what happens on there or not, so I didn't really think about it until I saw your post.

I was quite dissapointed when I typed my reaction, but it's not the end of the world and I will probably watch it today.

munchie64

I feel that EZAnime would be better if there were two clear sections. One that they assume the listener knows zero about whatever they're discussing and one a full deep dive no holds barred spoiler talk. Recommendations in between to split the sections up.

Now they try to balance it a bit too much and I feel it leaves both fans and newcomers wanting more. I know everything they've talked about and I'm at times sad they don't go into details. I can't know for sure, but I feel like newcomers would be lost as the basics of the shows are glossed over.

I still really like the show though as the love for the shows shines through clearly, and I think there's been an improvement each episode so I hope they keep at it! Really hope they use the unique opportunity of another JoJo's episode to dig in deep.

diablogod

I very much want Steins Gate to win the poll. Partly because I think it's one of the best anime ever, also selfishly because it would be the second EZA anime I can actually watch.

jett

D-Member
I gotta say, I don't get Parappa the Rapper at all. Last time I played it I just couldn't understand how it was measuring your "success" and rhythm at all. Just seems completely random.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
I gotta say, I don't get Parappa the Rapper at all. Last time I played it I just couldn't understand how it was measuring your "success" and rhythm at all. Just seems completely random.

The key is to remember that all you ever need is money. Also, don't forget to crack the butter.

Once you take into account those two things, you'll be a big boy.

UrbanRats

Jones nailed it on the Persona/spoiler discussion.

And Huber is right in that the onus to avoid spoilers should be on the spoilerphobes, not on the rest of the planet.

Not saying you should be a dick and spoil people on purpose, but if you have ridiculously high standards for media blackout, you should be on media blackout, not force everyone else to be.

N° 2048

Jones nailed it on the Persona/spoiler discussion.

And Huber is right in that the onus to avoid spoilers should be on the spoilerphobes, not on the rest of the planet.

Not saying you should be a dick and spoil people on purpose, but if you have ridiculously high standards for media blackout, you should be on media blackout, not force everyone else to be.

Are there Persona 5 spoilers in the latest podcast?

Visceir

Are there Persona 5 spoilers in the latest podcast?

Jones read out loud the note from Atlus about the streaming guidelines. It went into quite specific details about what not to spoil, to the point that the details could be considered spoilers itself. Huber was not happy.

_Ryo_

If I did not already know about that stuff in the press release from watching a bit of a Japanese let's play last year I would definitely consider it spoilers. Some of it like the date, I still don't know what it means. Anyways the entire thing was in extremely poor taste. Glad easy allies discussed it. Jones spoke truth.

Whenever companies make odd decisions, I talk to my girlfriend about it. She's an attorney so she always has a different perspective on it than I do as a gamer/fan/consumer/wannabejournalist.

She said that Atlus is within their right to restrict what gets seen, at least in the eyes of the law. It's stupid, but they have the right to do it, at least. She agreed it's stupid, though.

Kneefoil

I'm usually very sensitive to spoilers and I know almost nothing about Persona 5 yet, but there was nothing in the press release I would personally consider a huge deal. The only thing that kinda bothered me was the name drop for some kind of awakening, but I figured that that just means he'll become a party member, and party members in Persona 3 & 4 were quite obvious pretty much as soon as they were first introduced.

For what it's worth, the top YouTube comment for the podcast gives you a time to skip to in case you are worried about what's said in Atlus' guidelines.

MrMette

I'm usually very sensitive to spoilers and I know almost nothing about Persona 5 yet, but there was nothing in the press release I would personally consider a huge deal. The only thing that kinda bothered me was the name drop for some kind of awakening, but I figured that that just means he'll become a party member, and party members in Persona 3 & 4 were quite obvious pretty much as soon as they were first introduced.

For what it's worth, the top YouTube comment for the podcast gives you a time to skip to in case you are worried about what's said in Atlus' guidelines.

I didn't find it a spoiler either, but I still haven't yet touched Persona 5 (and never played a persona game). That said, I have heard that people who were already into the game did consider it a spoiler as they knew what a lot of those things meant.

I don't think it is a smart way to tackle something like this. It is pretty weird to spoil people in a letter that says not to spoil the game. The examples did seem a little too specific imo.

Mista Koo

lol at Kyle calling wrestling "super masculine." Games and wrestling have essentially the same target audience.

I hate how they don't differentiate between plot spoilers and random screenshots.
Related: My Twitter timeline hilariously uses ROT13 encryption to hide spoilers.

DKHF

Probably won't happen (though I remember they streamed for its announcement back at GT) but it would be cool if some allies streamed reactions for the Dragon Quest XI stream happening on April 10 (10pm PT). It won't just be the Japanese release date there will be gameplay and stuff (maybe Switch version details).

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Probably won't happen (though I remember they streamed for its announcement back at GT) but it would be cool if some allies streamed reactions for the Dragon Quest XI stream happening on April 10 (10pm PT). It won't just be the Japanese release date there will be gameplay and stuff (maybe Switch version details).
tumblr_mlc78jMJYr1s1vk5xo2_500.gif

Duuuuude thanks for the accidental reminder!!! Totally forgot about it. So hyped!!! Hope it makes the 2017 JP release.

DKHF

tumblr_mlc78jMJYr1s1vk5xo2_500.gif

Duuuuude thanks for the accidental reminder!!! Totally forgot about it. So hyped!!! Hope it makes the 2017 JP release.
Haha no problem, I'm hyped too. I'm sure it will make a 2017 JP release if they're announcing a date in April, and it seems to be Square Enix's big game for this year.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't find it a spoiler either, but I still haven't yet touched Persona 5 (and never played a persona game). That said, I have heard that people who were already into the game did consider it a spoiler as they knew what a lot of those things meant.

I don't think it is a smart way to tackle something like this. It is pretty weird to spoil people in a letter that says not to spoil the game. The examples did seem a little too specific imo.

They're not really at all. Most of the characters they referenced are literally on the box art of the game, and a couple other things are pretty damn vague (one thing in particular they mentioned I knew in broad terms what they were referring to but didn't actually find out until last night what it actually meant, for example). The only significant thing they spoiled is
the name of the first major boss of the game, and it becomes apparent who that is going to be practically within minutes in the game
. That's basically the equivalent of spoiling something that happens within the first two minutes of a movie.

It's annoying if you're on full media blackout (and if you are, what are you doing listening to people you know are going to be talking about Persona days after launch?), but otherwise a whole lot of nothing in the overall grand scheme of things really.

Visceir

It's annoying if you're on full media blackout (and if you are, what are you doing listening to people you know are going to be talking about Persona days after launch?), but otherwise a whole lot of nothing in the overall grand scheme of things really.

The description didn't explicitly reveal anything but I'd be very attentive to and suspicious of things that fit the description right from the get go, which would probably lessen the impact of whatever plot twists were going to happen.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The description didn't explicitly reveal anything but I'd be very attentive to and suspicious of things that fit the description right from the get go, which would probably lessen the impact of whatever plot twists were going to happen.

We're talking mostly about characters who are on the box art, in the intro video, on the title screen, and on the game start up splash screen. If you never heard about this statement from Atlus, you'd still be exactly as attentive and suspicious upon their very first appearance in the game as you are right now.

_Ryo_

I very much want Steins Gate to win the poll. Partly because I think it's one of the best anime ever, also selfishly because it would be the second EZA anime I can actually watch.

Steins;Gate is not only one of the best time travel series in anime, its one of the best time travel stories in general.

I feel that EZAnime would be better if there were two clear sections. One that they assume the listener knows zero about whatever they're discussing and one a full deep dive no holds barred spoiler talk. Recommendations in between to split the sections up.

Now they try to balance it a bit too much and I feel it leaves both fans and newcomers wanting more. I know everything they've talked about and I'm at times sad they don't go into details. I can't know for sure, but I feel like newcomers would be lost as the basics of the shows are glossed over.

I still really like the show though as the love for the shows shines through clearly, and I think there's been an improvement each episode so I hope they keep at it! Really hope they use the unique opportunity of another JoJo's episode to dig in deep.
I definitely share this sentiment

If it's a show I haven't seen, I really don't have any reason to watch because they're covering spoilers and stuff

Nick Robinson had an anime discussion show years ago (Behind Anime Lines, best title) when he was still with Rev3, where they would do discussions of shows like Kill La Kill with clips and whatever, but not really spoiling it. Just talking about overall themes, what they did and didn't like. Apparently the shows are all removed from Youtube with the Fandom Beat channel though, all that's left are a few reuploads on that channel with that girl guesting. Dang.

Your idea of splitting up the discussion would be good as, like you said, the people who haven't seen don't benefit from spoiler talk. But those who want a full discussion get a bit compromised by a broad overview

They've said this is the show they want to do so by all means, go for it. Obviously a lot of people like it. Just putting it out there

Semi-related, shoutout to Rev3 and more importantly Rev3Games. Don't know if anyone here was into them back then but they were the best, didn't find anything comparable until I got into GT

Yea I think an intro that just steps through the synopsis of the show, the characters, etc without assuming anyone knows what it's about would be good. Then dive into overall themes, takeaways of the show and finalize it with bigger story spoiler talk

So an escalation
I do like this latest episode better than the previous. A couple more tweaks and I think it's there.

I also think tackling a smaller more focused series, like a 12-24 episode show will help. Versus these 100s of episode shows or ones that span years or decades to produce to help iron out the show formatting.

ArjanN

Yeah I had to laugh about that, as though wrestling hasn't been dumb dorky bullshit for like.....a really long time

I think the dudebro audience basically moved on to MMA.

That said I think the wresting audience is probably still pretty lowbrow and less broad than gaming.

Roubjon

Great review for Yooka-Laylee. I'm actually surprised it was scored a
3/5
. Sounded more like a
2 or a 2.5

Regardless, I backed it so I guess I'll give it a go lol. I'll probably be dissappointed.

PepperedHam

Gotta be honest, I am pretty god damn sick of having to tip toe around everywhere with god damn Persona 5 spoilers, insignificant or not, popping up all over the damn place. Even in this thread discussing the press release I purposely avoided. It's easy to stay away from places but for a 100 hour game it's pretty crazy to have to stay away from all forms of social media just to stay safe. It's nobody's fault in here and nobody's fault on the show, it annoys me that they would even brush specifics in that damn release, whether they're broad or not.

This whole situation with the press release disappears if they didn't have this weirdo policy to begin with. People who purposely spoil will do so whether they can touch eyes with a stream or not. Those who choose to watch a Persona 5 stream will do so understanding 100% what the consequences are, if they even care about the spoilers at all. And those who want to share a screenshot or clip to purposely shove it in people's face will do so with their damn phone or capture device. Unless you banish trolls from the living realm there's no way to ever avoid that situation. But stopping your game from being streamed to audiences that choose to watch... come on, man.

That said I'm enjoying Persona 5 a fuckton. This is my first Persona game and this whole package just oozes style. I'm in love with everything.

N° 2048

Gotta be honest, I am pretty god damn sick of having to tip toe around everywhere with god damn Persona 5 spoilers, insignificant or not, popping up all over the damn place. Even in this thread discussing the press release I purposely avoided. It's easy to stay away from places but for a 100 hour game it's pretty crazy to have to stay away from all forms of social media just to stay safe. It's nobody's fault in here and nobody's fault on the show, it annoys me that they would even brush specifics in that damn release, whether they're broad or not.

This whole situation with the press release disappears if they didn't have this weirdo policy to begin with. People who purposely spoil will do so whether they can touch eyes with a stream or not. Those who choose to watch a Persona 5 stream will do so understanding 100% what the consequences are, if they even care about the spoilers at all. And those who want to share a screenshot or clip to purposely shove it in people's face will do so with their damn phone or capture device. Unless you banish trolls from the living realm there's no way to ever avoid that situation. But stopping your game from being streamed to audiences that choose to watch... come on, man.

That said I'm enjoying Persona 5 a fuckton. This is my first Persona game and this whole package just oozes style. I'm in love with everything.

The OT is a mess too, avoid it. Nobody spoiler tags anything.

The yooka-laylee review was pretty harsh, but not incredibly surprising given the other reviews of the game. I'm still looking forward to trying the game myself although the reception it has gotten is disappointing.

Chuck

Still without luck
Yooka's voice sounds...are terrible. I couldn't stand the 3 second clip in the review so I can't imagine playing it.

PepperedHam

The OT is a mess too, avoid it. Nobody spoiler tags anything.
It's annoying. Even the stuff people would consider insignificant, like yeah, it's easy to say that when you have already seen it in game and know the context but people who aren't there don't know that. It is not hard at all to spoiler tag. And I kind of wish certain things from the press release were spoiler tagged in here.

Sometimes I feel like I'm overreacting but so many things ruined on me and others on GAF over the years because people don't spoiler tag. And maybe I shouldn't browse GAF anymore when playing games I like, but as I said, this is one of the best game discussion resources around and if I ditched it when playing games I care about I would never ever come here. And it isn't even me entering OTs unaware, it usually happens in other threads, whether it's about a specific game or not, that people will just say shit without any consideration. It annoys the fuck out of me.

So peeved.

EDIT: Ended up seeing the press release for Atlus and okay that isn't too bad. Though it's still super friggin silly to even include details like that in there. That said, my point still stands on unmarked spoilers on GAF.

dickroach

Yooka's voice sounds...are terrible. I couldn't stand the 3 second clip in the review so I can't imagine playing it.

yeah, that was real rough
0 interest in playing this game from what I've seen/heard.
Snakepass look slike the game that's gonna have to fill the platformer void right now

Auctopus

That Yooka review really sounded like a flat 2.5 but fair enough. Succint review and really nice editing. "A facade that quickly shatters"

Yeah, what the hell was that burping? Sounded awful.

That Yooka review really sounded like a flat 2.5 but fair enough. Succint review and really nice editing. "A facade that quickly shatters"

Yeah, what the hell was that burping? Sounded awful.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was going back and forth between a 2.5 and 3 and the music pushed it to a 3.

I will say even hearing the complaints when I see the footage and music I still want to play it. I backed it so I'll get my chance. In the end my kickstarter cost less Than the current price so I'm good

Auctopus

Thought you guys would like this, I was watching ACG's Yooka Laylee review and this was in the comments...

90cognO.png

Crazy that there's people who still haven't heard the news.

MrMette

Great review for Yooka-Laylee. I'm actually surprised it was scored a
3/5
. Sounded more like a
2 or a 2.5

Regardless, I backed it so I guess I'll give it a go lol. I'll probably be dissappointed.

To me it did sound like the score it got to be honest. It doesn't seem a bad game, more a disappointing game.

I backed it as well. I don't know when/if I will be playing it as I have a huge backlog (and a lot of games I never finished), but I am still somewhat curious in trying it out.

My huge excitement for the game (which I had when I backed it), is already gone for some time as my huge backlog and my lack of time to play games killed a lot of excitement I have about videogames in general unfortunately. There are quite a lot of games I was originally looking forward to and for which I now have a lot of trouble to be excited. I just am not able to finish most of the games I start as I want to start/play so many games (and I love long RPG en sandbox games usually, so that doesn't help) and just don't have the time. So I am afraid of starting games now (I did start Persona 5 this evening, although I still have to finish Yakuza 0). I still love watching EZA and videogames news, I just dread new releases as I see my (mostly virtual) pile of games grow and grow without any sign of ever being able to play most of them.

Disappointing to see Yooka Laylee's score, but not completely unexpected either unfortunately.

Thought you guys would like this, I was watching ACG's Yooka Laylee review and this was in the comments...

90cognO.png

Crazy that there's people who still haven't heard the news.
Yo that's crazy! Does he not recognize Brandon, best in the biz, Jones' voice?! That ain't right.
Never asked but can someone explan the "Sorry Persona 5" chair?

Did Ben cancel the review?
Don't play with my heart like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom