• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

demu

I mean, I watch every EZA Podcast on YouTube, but for all the people who listen to the audio version, it seems like a pretty big deal. So, good work, Blood.

RetroMG

I mean, I watch every EZA Podcast on YouTube, but for all the people who listen to the audio version, it seems like a pretty big deal. So, good work, Blood.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it. I listen to most of the podcasts when I'm out driving around, and it's been lame seeing the youtube video go up early but not being able to get it in my podcast app for a while after.

I'm now 8 hours behind on Xenoblade streams.
mBEbGgn.png

El-Suave

Probably too late since the expansion already went live, but if Ben or any other Allies who still play Hearthstone have preordered the new card set, a pack opening stream for the 50 packs that come with the preorder would be a nice and easy stream idea. I'd watch that (or the archive).

Brandon declares there's absolutely no way you can be spoiled by someone streaming something on Twitch if you don't want to be spoiled...

..then tells story about how Twitch on PS4 spoiled something for him.

:/

I was watching a qtpie stream a couple weeks ago when I was home sick from work. All of a sudden, he full screens a video of one of the divine beast bosses. I had only just started the game at that point. I was piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed. Didn't expect that from a League of Legends stream. Granted, I kind of forgot about it by the time I reached that boss, but the look of these bosses is so radically distinct from previous Zelda bosses that the image was burned into my head.

Kneefoil

I know that Damiani said the streams of his old reviews won't get put up on YouTube, but aren't they going to be at least highlighted on Twitch? I think they'd be worth saving permanently.

MrMette

So glad that
Bosman
won Monopoly. Even more glad that
Huber
was the first to fall.

Thanks for the spoiler ;)

I have yet to watch it (was going to watch it this weekend) and was really looking forward to it. That did crush my hypelevels somewhat.
Maybe going to skip it now.

Anaithsol

Neo Member

I have yet to watch it (was going to watch it this weekend) and was really looking forward to it. That did crush my hypelevels somewhat.

Sucks to hear you got spoiled, but I really recommend you give it a look whenever you can. The entire event is a treasure to watch even if you already know the final outcome.

Philippo

Does anyone here already got the gist around P5? I still don't know when it's better to tackle dungeons and have the most free time avaible for other activities.
In Persona 4 it was during rainy days because those were lacking in avaible activities, but i don't know if it applies here too.
The game's OT is too crowded and my questions go unanswered lol, so i hoped any ally already playing it.

Servbot24

Banned

As was discussed in the podcast, I think the onus was on you here to avoid them :p

Also I just spoiled that they talk about spoiling things in the podcast :D

MrMette

As was discussed in the podcast, I think the onus was on you here to avoid them :p

Also I just spoiled that they talk about spoiling things in the podcast :D

I did watch the podcast yesterday, so no spoiler for me ;) (I also wouldn't have cared if I didn't watch it yet, that's not a spoiler for me)

I agree as far as spoilers in games go. I am not going to search for a stream talking about EZA's groupstream or a stream of a specific video game when I still want to play it (as I did not watch Spoiler Mode as I will probably give Horizon a shot when it's cheaper and/or I have not much to play anymore).

Also, I usually don't mind knowing what the are playing in the group stream, just seeing the winner of the game is somewhat dissapointing (so I guess, it would suck for tournaments as well). I am usually avoiding the forums when I haven't watched TTE yet.
I just didn't realise that the groupstream could be spoiled (that's on me I guess) :)

It does suck, but no hard feelings to Don Draper's Hat. It happens (although my hype has seriously decreased by this).

wiibomb

Probably too late since the expansion already went live, but if Ben or any other Allies who still play Hearthstone have preordered the new card set, a pack opening stream for the 50 packs that come with the preorder would be a nice and easy stream idea. I'd watch that (or the archive).

I believe Ben did that stream last december with MSG, however he said he isn't interested in HS at all anymore, a shame since I'm deep into that game right now, but I understand

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone here already got the gist around P5? I still don't know when it's better to tackle dungeons and have the most free time avaible for other activities.
In Persona 4 it was during rainy days because those were lacking in avaible activities, but i don't know if it applies here too.
The game's OT is too crowded and my questions go unanswered lol, so i hoped any ally already playing it.

If anything there's probably more stuff to do on rainy days in P5 than not. Some stores only sell certain items on rainy days, and things like that.

It's mostly up to you. Personally I'd say to try to go into the dungeons relatively early on after they become available to you. Going in early gives you an out if your team is totally out of ammo and SP and what not. You'll have plenty of time to come in again on another day to finish it off if you can't get it all at once. And you're going to have to finish the main exploration of the dungeon at least two full days prior to the stated deadline anyway (for reasons). That way you can know that you've got the dungeon taken care of and can spend your time doing other things until the deadline.

Philippo

If anything there's probably more stuff to do on rainy days in P5 than not. Some stores only sell certain items on rainy days, and things like that.

It's mostly up to you. Personally I'd say to try to go into the dungeons relatively early on after they become available to you. Going in early gives you an out if your team is totally out of ammo and SP and what not. You'll have plenty of time to come in again on another day to finish it off if you can't get it all at once. And you're going to have to finish the main exploration of the dungeon at least two full days prior to the stated deadline anyway (for reasons). That way you can know that you've got the dungeon taken care of and can spend your time doing other things until the deadline.

Thanks.
How many days do cleaning a dungeon usually takes?
I'm kind of anxious because there's so much to do and i already don't know if i'm investing my time wisely or not (only at the first dungeon).

I'm actually not new to the series (beat both 3 abd 4), but its been so long i feel disoriented like its the first time lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks.
How many days do cleaning a dungeon usually takes?
I'm kind of anxious because there's so much to do and i already don't know if i'm investing my time wisely or not (only at the first dungeon).

I'm actually not new to the series (beat both 3 abd 4), but its been so long i feel disoriented like its the first time lol

Depends. The story usually sends you in a couple times for some small story bits near the beginning of the dungeon, but then once you're given free reign of the palace it's totally possible to get to the end in one day, with the difficulty level playing a factor there (it's definitely tough to get through it all in one shot on hard).
You can't fight the palace's boss on your first run through, though. You have to get to the end of the dungeon, leave, send out your calling card on another day, and then go back into the dungeon the next day in order to face the boss, hence why you need to make sure you've reached the end of the dungeon a few days earlier than the deadline says. The deadline is for actually beating the boss.

Spoiler marks just in case, but it's all gameplay mechanics, no story info.

Philippo

Depends. The story usually sends you in a couple times for some small story bits near the beginning of the dungeon, but then once you're given free reign of the palace it's totally possible to get to the end in one day, with the difficulty level playing a factor there (it's definitely tough to get through it all in one shot on hard).
You can't fight the palace's boss on your first run through, though. You have to get to the end of the dungeon, leave, send out your calling card on another day, and then go back into the dungeon the next day in order to face the boss, hence why you need to make sure you've reached the end of the dungeon a few days earlier than the deadline says. The deadline is for actually beating the boss.

That was actually really helpful as i had no idea about it!

N° 2048

Just go with the flow for Persona 5, and for the love of god, don't use a guide for your first play through.

I'm learning from the stress P4 gave me and just doing what I want in P5.

I grabbed Persona 5 earlier, I've been playing it and I'm 2 hours in (still in tutorial)

I was hesitant because, despite being waaaaay sold on the style, I'm really not a fan of turn based RPGs. Like my only real experience with it is Pokemon and (at least the classic games) are more rock paper scissors with elements than something super system heavy

Despite never usually wanting to do so, I switched to Easy just so I can experience the stuff I like and not worry about being complete garbage at systems or having to grind

Peering into the OT and seeing everyone following guides and trying to 100% just seems like too much. I'd rather just play how I'm feeling and whatever I end up with is what it is. I'm sure if I was seriously invested in the series I'd try for it but yea

Even the Kotaku tips were like "keep multiple saves and work on the ones you like " and I'm like.......nahhhh

Just go with the flow for Persona 5, and for the love of god, don't use a guide for your first play through.

I used a guide for Persona 4. Loved it.
Play these games how you want.
Easy mode, guides..whatever feels good.
I'd say the percentage of people who are going to be playing this game twice isn't even going to be double digits, so enjoy how you want.

Dineren

Banned

The amount of options Persona games give you always makes it tough for me to play them. I'm constantly worried I'm going to screw up and end up with a weak team that can't continue or miss out on cool story moments because I did the wrong thing.

I almost wish I had a no spoiler guide with an optimized path through everything.

Auctopus

Glad I read that spoiler or I'd have probably messed up. I just reached (first dungeon spoiler)
the bottom of the tower and have 6 days left

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Waking up to Trails of Cold Steel on PC news and Trails in the Sky 3rd May 3rd release.
I know games are crazy right now but man just going to recommend the series again.
Especially because I also very much believe that behind it are one of the most passionate and skilled localization teams out there. Like we're still getting from time to time small translation patches to the older games making things more consistent that were done in the free time of people working over there. And not only that they have even programmed and patched in functionality that was never part of the original PC versions.

:-x I also want to be unreasonable and I'm probably the single person that is going to hope for this which is reviews for this series mostly because while yes they're niche but there aren't a lot of reviews on the series out there in general especially video form. And given the nature of the series it might very well be one that won't become irrelevant for the next few years. Given how strongly interconnected everything is like with the titles themselves I think people seeing a review on the newest one might very well go back to a potential review of an older title.

I'm mostly hoping cause this series really needs all the exposure in can get. x_X
Also to anyone that might catch some interest again I very much still believe despite really liking Cold Steel that the Sky series from a story perspective is a far better jump in point. Cold Steel are fine games though if that's what your only option are hardware wise.

Edit: Also just on a sidenote Persona playing Allies(not really a spoiler but as always going to tag for safety for people that don't want to know anything, you're completely safe though if you're past the first dungeon)
Curious what everyone named their band of thieves.
I was kinda boring and named mine "罪盗団"(zaitoudan) meaning something like the sin stealers which is just an embarrassingly lame play on "怪盗"(kaitou) phantom thief.

Ahhh shit, I'm sorry, man.

I always just automatically assume I'm the last person to watch something.

I'll be more careful in future.

munchie64

New anime poll has a lot of great options (shame The Tatami Galaxy looks like it has no chance since it's amazing).

I voted Steins;Gate since it's one of my favourites with a lot to dig into character and world wise.

Waking up to Trails of Cold Steel on PC news and Trails in the Sky 3rd May 3rd release.
I know games are crazy right now but man just going to recommend the series again.
Especially because I also very much believe that behind it are one of the most passionate and skilled localization teams out there. Like we're still getting from time to time small translation patches to the older games making things more consistent that were done in the free time of people working over there. And not only that they have even programmed and patched in functionality that was never part of the original PC versions.

:-x I also want to be unreasonable and I'm probably the single person that is going to hope for this which is reviews for this series mostly because while yes they're niche but there aren't a lot of reviews on the series out there in general especially video form. And given the nature of the series it might very well be one that won't become irrelevant for the next few years. Given how strongly interconnected everything is like with the titles themselves I think people seeing a review on the newest one might very well go back to a potential review of an older title.

I'm mostly hoping cause this series really needs all the exposure in can get. x_X
Also to anyone that might catch some interest again I very much still believe despite really liking Cold Steel that the Sky series from a story perspective is a far better jump in point. Cold Steel are fine games though if that's what your only option are hardware wise.

Edit: Also just on a sidenote Persona playing Allies(not really a spoiler but as always going to tag for safety for people that don't want to know anything, you're completely safe though if you're past the first dungeon)
I was kinda boring and named mine "罪盗団"(zaitoudan) meaning something like the sin stealers which is just an embarrassingly lame play on "怪盗"(kaitou) phantom thief.

There was Trails news today? Huh, it sure dropped off the first couple of pages fast then.

I'm still annoyed I probably won't get a chance to play Trails in the Sky 3rd because they're not bothering with the PSP release. I get why they're dropping the PSP but at the same time, it's really annoying trying to follow a series like Kingdom Hearts or Trails that's all over the place in terms of platforms.

As for my (Persona 5 not-really-spoiler)
band of thieves, I named mine Foxhound. I'm not really sure what the point is of naming it though, as they're always referred to as the Phantom Thieves anyway.

New anime poll has a lot of great options (shame The Tatami Galaxy looks like it has no chance since it's amazing).

I voted Steins;Gate since it's one of my favourites with a lot to dig into character and world wise.

The EZAnime One Piece episode is out too.

I'm excited for Steins;Gate to win the poll, since it'd be the first one they've covered that I've actually watched. Even if the anime is nowhere near as good as the game, I'd love to hear them talk about it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Vote for tatami :D and see what happens then! I did cause I have 0 idea what that series is and it would be fun to actually for once watch something new in preparation and go fresh into an EZAnime. But yeah likely Steins Gate will win which is ok too it's a fun series although I'm probably not as much in love with it as most other people. El psy kongroo

There was Trails news today? Huh, it sure dropped off the first couple of pages fast then.

I'm still annoyed I probably won't get a chance to play Trails in the Sky 3rd because they're not bothering with the PSP release. I get why they're dropping the PSP but at the same time, it's really annoying trying to follow a series like Kingdom Hearts or Trails that's all over the place in terms of platforms.

As for my (Persona 5 not-really-spoiler)
band of thieves, I named mine Foxhound. I'm not really sure what the point is of naming it though, as they're always referred to as the Phantom Thieves anyway.
Yep they did a stream yesterday announcing both things. As for no PSP yeah it sucks for the people that started there and have no PC to fall back on.
But that's just the unfortunate reality. Even if they wanted to the devs don't have the PSP dev kit units anymore among various other reasons.
I will say though for anyone that has a PC even if one is averse cause they're trading portability as someone that made the switch from PSP to PC the PC version are incredibly. The localization team patched in things like craft/arts skip and are constantly refining the localization.
Also despite it sucking for people that wanted to stay portable XSeed's push for PC will be insanely good for this series in the long run. We're getting to the point where all the trails games might be available on PC in one place which is incredibly good given that Falcom needs to worry less about constantly porting older titles up and this is important given that this series might still run for another entire console generation before it finishes. Also because it was talked about on the stream anyone that wants this series to continue coming to the west the series needs more people that support it. It seems to barely somehow make it over here through the passion of the localization team and the sales barely being enough to make a case for it.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ScaryCoyReubenCharlietheUnicorn

In text sections in the JP version people refer to the name you decide for the phantom thieves. I mean it's a vanity thing like naming your protagonist in Persona or even Mass Effect sure there's no real point to it just a fun little thing.
I went with
"No Streaming"
Haha.

mcw

I went with
"No Streaming"

munchie64

Vote for tatami :D and see what happens then! I did cause I have 0 idea what that series is and it would be fun to actually for once watch something new in preparation and go fresh into an EZAnime. But yeah likely Steins Gate will win which is ok too it's a fun series although I'm probably not as much in love with it as most other people. El psy kongroo
Yeah, I changed my vote. May as well to show that I'd love for it to be in the poll again. You should watch it - it's a comedy drama by the guy that did Ping Pong so it's very well made. That said, I really love Steins;Gate myself, so it's all good.

One Piece episode was good considering how much they had to cover. Real excited for JoJo's part 2 with guests. Hopefully, they go into nitty gritty spoilers.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to the new EZAnime while enjoying it I think I kind of figured out for me where the struggle seems to come from. I think it's just the inexperience for Ben and Brad doing a 2 man podcast style show. The flow just isn't very refined yet. For all the other shows having a bigger panel it's far easier to free style conversation I think. With only two people it's way harder to keep it flowing especially for something so gargantuan like One Piece especially when you feel you have so many thoughts to get across.

Maybe EZAnime needs a stronger structure? But that's just so hard with shows differing so much that you can't quite come up with an episode formula of talking points you just check off for each topic. But I definitely think for series as big as this the better approach would be to be more focused choosing topics and structuring them that you both feel strongly about and dedicate segments to them.Like I definitely feel like one focused segment for this could have been just the designs in One Piece and anything related to that(islands, characters, creatures, criticism, etc).

I loved the moments in this episode where the emotion came out even with something so whimsical like the disgust over the Dub that was a thing in the US. I feel like the points where the discussion is very personal are very strong whereas the points where I feel like discussion just happens to cover something are weaker(but maybe that's unfair criticism given that not every single moment resonates equally strong but one might still want to talk about it.)

Just some scattershot thoughts after listening to it. Thanks for the episode and I'm still very excited for this show evolving and findings its groove. I definitely would recommend putting off some of the longer running things like HxH for less stressful times but also for when EZAnime just has a bit more experience behind it. Going through smaller series might be an easier way for the next couple of months for this show to evolve more quickly, since the smaller scope might leave more room to experiment with the format, not sure.

In any case thanks to both Brad and Ben for doing this!
Edit: Also Ben you've finished Persona? Is it safe to shoot my spoilerific question to your PM box?

Yeah, I changed my vote. May as well to show that I'd love for it to be in the poll again. You should watch it - it's a comedy drama by the guy that did Ping Pong so it's very well made. That said, I really love Steins;Gate myself, so it's all good.

One Piece episode was good considering how much they had to cover. Real excited for JoJo's part 2 with guests. Hopefully, they go into nitty gritty spoilers.

I'll keep it in mind and try to give the series a shot. Haven't seen Ping Pong as well but I know it's a highly regarded show. I've just struggled really hard to get into involving anime. Lately if I'm watching anything at all it's some slice of life fluff and can throw up in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom