• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auctopus

Have they commented in any of their podcasts about doing another episode of Game Sleuth? It's been months.

Damiani said this in mid-March...

But I guess tl;dr answer people have been waiting for on Game Sleuth, probably April for next episode. Have some people looking into stuff to get back to me with answers, then I can do a big push on my end to get it wrapped up and delivered to Don to be edited. I just worry a lot about this show and it does stress me out a lot because of various things. Sorry for doing such a poor job communicating about it, though. Still working on improving so thanks for you patience and constructive feedback everyone. L&R

I'm not bringing this up to quote him because it's April now and he only has X amount of days etc. Just to tell you that he's working on it and it'll be ready soonish, hopefully.

_Ryo_

It was a joke about how the group stream was cancelled due to Persona 5 releasing and they were all playing that instead.

So was Frametrap and Easy Allies Podcast recorded before the Monopoly stream cause I think Ben and maybe Huber? were the only people who had played any Persona 5. I haven't watched the Monopoly stream yet BTW, I just noticed the chair when I was about to.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Damiani said this in mid-March...

I'm not bringing this up to quote him because it's April now and he only has X amount of days etc. Just to tell you that he's working on it and it'll be ready soonish, hopefully.

Excellent news, thank you.

Anaithsol

Neo Member
So was Frametrap and Easy Allies Podcast recorded before the Monopoly stream cause I think Ben and maybe Huber? were the only people who had played any Persona 5. I haven't watched the Monopoly stream yet BTW, I just noticed the chair when I was about to.

Frametrap was recorded before whereas the Podcast was recorded after. If you haven't watched the start of the last group stream, you wouldn't have seen the context for the message on the chair.

The joke depicted at that particular moment is pretty much it for the story behind the chair.

abrack08

It was just a joke about the stream being canceled because of P5, not an actual statement about how many of them are playing it.

Finally started up P5 today. Do you ever get those odd apprehensions to start a new game or return to one after a long break? I was oddly holding off playing P5 for some reason. It's happened on various games before. Anyway I put a couple hours into it and I'm really liking it so far. It's got its hooks into me for sure. As for my persona history I beat P3 years ago during a holiday break, I started Persona 4 a couple times liked it but kept getting distracted by other games. I still need to go back to it one day. It's early but P5 has hooked me in stronger than either of those two from the start.

And I hear the English dub is good, but I can't tell you how happy I am to be able to play a persona game with the original VO. Given the style, the setting, etc. it just feels right.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Finally started up P5 today. Do you ever get those odd apprehensions to start a new game or return to one after a long break? I was oddly holding off playing P5 for some reason. It's happened on various games before. Anyway I put a couple hours into it and I'm really liking it so far. It's got its hooks into me for sure. As for my persona history I beat P3 years ago during a holiday break, I started Persona 4 a couple times liked it but kept getting distracted by other games. I still need to go back to it one day. It's early but P5 has hooked me in stronger than either of those two from the start.

And I hear the English dub is good, but I can't tell you how happy I am to be able to play a persona game with the original VO. Given the style, the setting, etc. it just feels right.

Still recommend playing in English unless you played the prior titles in Japanese too.
The game does some sixth sense style of things that partly plays off on your familiarity with the series language wise.I highly recommend experiencing that first you can always enjoy the JP in a second playthrough but cannot re experience those twists. And I don't say that lightly :-x since I'm very much aware how awesome the JP cast is and also generally love/prefer OV in almost anything.
------
Glancing on the stream schedule on one side makes me happy because Trails in the Sky is on it :D and the wave of people that seem to pick these games up after Ben streams always warm my heart. On the other side I worry :D that between Xenoblade and Trails, Trails definitely loses out on the immediate strong hooks as the resident slow burner.

Heck I couldn't even begrudge Xenoblade that's how excellent I consider that game(honestly Xenoblade what a goddamn amazing game). Was hoping once Xenoblade was finished the stage to be perfectly set for Trails :-x to sink its claws in.(ignore :p)
(man if this was jp this could have been a really awfully lame kiseki pun which is how you both pronounce the jp word for miracle and trails)
. Guess I gotta have trust in the games! xD
-----
Also put a bit of time into Drawn to Death, not my thing. The visuals, it's hard to get used to them and I feel like they make the game really hard to read at times.
I don't even believe it's the core idea behind the visuals that is bad I still very much like the idea I think, but the execution and style they went with it isn't striking a personal chord with me. I was one of those people that would doodle a lot myself and I think one of my biggest disappointments with Drawn to Death is it seems to adhere to this idea of what American teenager would doodle and think of crazy and cool and to me personally it's just kind of whatever, I might be too desensitized with Japan usually being my favorite brand of weirdness but Drawn to Death feels weirdly vanilla in its "craziness" and also very lacking in variety on that front. It's all mostly juvenile from what I've seen and sure that might have been the intention but feels like shame to not spread your wings more within that style. I still remember the stuff me and my friends would doodle and I'd say we had a lot more range between things accidentally ending up rather cute or straight up real weirdness, and I kind of think this experience might not be uncommon.
I recognize some of this might be unfair cause I don't really consider the gameplay implications when wishing for more stylistic variety etc, but still it really doesn't deliver on the cool visual premise for me.

PepperedHam

Not sure if your voice recommendation bit for Persona there Holundrian is spoilery or not, it kinda seems like it honestly. At least how I'm seeing it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if your voice recommendation bit for Persona there Holundrian is spoilery or not, it kinda seems like it honestly. At least how I'm seeing it.

I obscured and falsified the statement intentionally in certain ways like with the sixth sense thing that's very much misleading in a way and is only meant to reference the fact that once you watch that movie once your perspective of it changes in an irreversible way but other than that it really doesn't relate to what I'm talking about in any way(actually Bioshock might have also been an example that would have worked). I tried to basically only allude to specifically there being something that relies on your familiarity which I believe/hope is waaaaay to vague to come to any real conclusion but it's a hard thing though to make a case for people to stay with English while staying as vague and misleading as possible while still trying to be convincing. If you could PM me and give me more feedback on what specifically seems dangerous to you I could maybe improve the statement? Until then I'll be happy to tag it just for safety.

PepperedHam

I obscured and falsified the statement intentionally in certain ways like with the sixth sense thing that's very much misleading in a way and is only meant to reference the fact that once you watch that movie once your perspective of it changes in an irreversible way but other than that it really doesn't relate to what I'm talking about in any way. I tried to basically only allude to specifically there being something that relies on your familiarity which I believe/hope is waaaaay to vague to come to any real conclusion but it's a hard thing though to make a case for people to stay with English while staying as vague and misleading as possible while still trying to be convincing. If you could PM me and give me more feedback on what specifically seems dangerous to you I could maybe improve the statement? Until then I'll be happy to tag it just for safety.
Oh no it's fine. I don't have any specifics myself as I'm only five hours into the game (first Persona), I just always happen to stumble onto unmarked stuff in unrelated threads so I was hoping this wasn't another one of those instances where five hours into a 100 hour game I have some more little things spoiled as it's kind of exhausting how much of a minefield it is for this game sometimes. Nothing against you personally.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no it's fine. I don't have any specifics myself as I'm only five hours into the game (first Persona), I just always happen to stumble onto unmarked stuff in unrelated threads so I was hoping this wasn't another one of those instances where five hours into a 100 hour game I have some more little things spoiled as it's kind of exhausting how much of a minefield it is for this game sometimes. Nothing against you personally.

Don't worry not taking it personally at all! Know that I take it very seriously to not have this game spoiled for people. I would feel terrible if I did that. I just want people to experience it in the way that I think is closest to the original intent of the creators because they really did a few things that are super cool that might get lost in a language switch. So if something seems iffy totally let me know I'm happy to think up better ways to get my point across if necessary.

PepperedHam

Don't worry not taking it personally at all! Know that I take it very seriously to not have this game spoiled for people. I would feel terrible if I did that. I just want people to experience it in the way that I think is closest to the original intent of the creators because they really did a few things that are super cool that might get lost in a language switch. So if something seems iffy totally let me know I'm happy to think up better ways to get my point across if necessary.
No worries! Hearing the explanation for why you worded it that way cleared it up. I've just been on high alert in unrelated threads. I know it would be smarter to just vanish from here until I'm comfortable with reading stuff but I also really like reading the EZA thread, so I'm walking on eggshells here haha. I am really enjoying this game and don't want any bubbles popped. Seeing that streamer press release that went over the specific things not to show on video (my own fault, I curiously needed to see what they could possibly have spoiled themselves, and I am not sure how big those spoilers are but they seem innocent in the grand scheme, correct me if I'm wrong there, it's the character stuff under the video section) and then your original post I kind of had a slow motion OOOOH NOOOO hahah. But thanks for clarifying your intent.

L&R

fastmower

I obscured and falsified the statement intentionally in certain ways like with the sixth sense thing that's very much misleading in a way and is only meant to reference the fact that once you watch that movie once your perspective of it changes in an irreversible way but other than that it really doesn't relate to what I'm talking about in any way(actually Bioshock might have also been an example that would have worked). I tried to basically only allude to specifically there being something that relies on your familiarity which I believe/hope is waaaaay to vague to come to any real conclusion but it's a hard thing though to make a case for people to stay with English while staying as vague and misleading as possible while still trying to be convincing. If you could PM me and give me more feedback on what specifically seems dangerous to you I could maybe improve the statement? Until then I'll be happy to tag it just for safety.
I played Persona 4 in English, but the English VA in P5 is a noticeable step down in a lot of ways. Even if you state I'll miss something big, I just can't play what I view as a lower quality experience. Pretty disappointing if what you say is true. :(

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I played Persona 4 in English, but the English VA in P5 is a noticeable step down in a lot of ways. Even if you state I'll miss something big, I just can't play what I view as a lower quality experience. Pretty disappointing if what you say is true. :(

:( it's a difficult thing. I rate what I'm referring to rather highly but mileage may vary of course if it affects your enjoyment that much don't feel bad about playing in Japanese. But from what I've heard coming from the Japanese VO aside from 1-3 voices(for me magician, tower and hermit) and the couple weird mispronunciation of names the English VO seemed to be pretty good honestly.

It's good mostly, but some VA is that generic stilted quality that I just can't forgive. Professional voice acting should be past that these days.

I hear you I think it's more that anime type/style of voice direction(at least that's what I assume given that it's happened so often now that I find voices in other works absolutely fantastic while I don't like them in my JRPGs, biggest example is Troy Baker in anything Naughty Dog vs his Snow). Not a giant fan of that either.

fastmower

:( it's a difficult thing. I rate what I'm referring to rather highly but mileage may vary of course if it affects your enjoyment that much don't feel bad about playing in Japanese. But from what I've heard coming from the Japanese VO aside from 1-3 voices(for me magician, tower and hermit) and the couple weird mispronunciation of names the English VO seemed to be pretty good honestly.
Id rather enjoy the whole game than lower my experience for a single moment. It's good mostly, but some VA is that generic stilted quality that I just can't forgive. Persona is all about becoming attached to characters to me. If I hear stilted VA, it breaks my immersion and I lose all hope to attach to that character. It sucks for me but professional voice acting should be past that these days. Bleh.

All my humble opinion of course.

Oh wow, I finally watched my first Q&A (the March one). Are they all this awesome and insightful? I really felt like you get a much better sense of who everyone is than you can get out of the group streams. I mean, I watch a lot of their individual and group streams (along with the podcasts and Frame Trap) and I've been following them for a long time, so I feel like maybe that background knowledge helped me out with already knowing a good deal about their personalities, but I still felt like this Q&A went pretty in depth still.

Should I go back and watch all the other Q&A sessions or was this one kind of an outlier?

Roubjon

Oh wow, I finally watched my first Q&A (the March one). Are they all this awesome and insightful? I really felt like you get a much better sense of who everyone is than you can get out of the group streams. I mean, I watch a lot of their individual and group streams (along with the podcasts and Frame Trap) and I've been following them for a long time, so I feel like maybe that background knowledge helped me out with already knowing a good deal about their personalities, but I still felt like this Q&A went pretty in depth still.

Should I go back and watch all the other Q&A sessions or was this one kind of an outlier?

Q&A's are always enjoyable to listen to.

Yea they're all pretty much like that. The one really not to skip is the one where all of them but I think Blood and damiani were together at jones house. A tease of how awesome Q&As will be when they have the studio.

And I guess I'll try the dub for P5 and see if I can tolerate it. But I have a feeling I'll switch back. The Japanese VO for this game feel right. And I take exception to the "use it the second play through" this is a 100 hour game. I got too many other great games on the backlog to be playing this game twice any time soon. If I miss some twist because of it so be it.

fastmower

Yea they're all pretty much like that. The one really not to skip is the one where all of them but I think Blood and damiani were together at jones house. A tease of how awesome Q&As will be when they have the studio.

And I guess I'll try the dub for P5 and see if I can tolerate it. But I have a feeling I'll switch back. The Japanese VO for this game feel right. And I take exception to the "use it the second play through" this is a 100 hour game. I got too many other great games on the backlog to be playing this game twice any time soon. If I miss some twist because of it so be it.
Yeah I tried the English for about a day. Some people sound fantastic - natural and nuanced; some people are just junk - stilted and fake. Too bad.

farisr

Man, I'm lucky I had my old GPU tucked away. Sending my current one in for repair/replacement cause its fan decided to cause a lot of noise/metallic clinking. Going to take a while to get back.

Waiting for replacement CPU fan to arrive before I can start editing/rendering again as well. First the CPU fan failing altogether and then the GPU fan giving troubles within the same week. Sigh... Just a bad coincidence. My room is normal temperature, and the temperature inside the chassis generally hovers around 30 degrees celsius, reaching 40 at heavy load. (when the fans are actually working that is, right now without the fan at idle the CPU is at 40-45)

Gonna have my work cut out for me once the CPU fan arrives as I have a ton of footage to narrow down further for Week 12 (which had the anniversary group stream + Q&A + concert). Usually the set of clips I've narrowed down with my initial editing pass are around 1-1.5 hours. This time around it was around 3.5 hours.

I think both the regular best of and round two videos could end up being around 20 minutes or more each for this week.

I tried the Persona 5 JP. But when I listened to Kamoshida in JP vs. English, I ended up sticking with the English one.

The English Kamoshida absolutely destroys the Japanese VA. I'll take a few hits here and there if it means the main stuff is better in quality.

mcw

In the early 2000s I ran a website focused on anime dubbing. As someone who's been enjoying dubbed JRPGs for many years, I am overjoyed that Atlus included the Japanese voice track in this; that's an area where fans, for many years, haven't been getting the full experience they deserve. That said, I myself am playing in English and wanted to share my experience.

With any dub, the quality of voice actors is usually never the problem. That's doubly true for P5 so far-- there are some real fucking legends in this cast, and I'm only to the second Palace.
When I first heard Crispin Freeman in this, I freaked the fuck out, I'm not gonna lie

Where you run into trouble is with the script and the direction. Voice actors are usually brought in for a very short period of time, like maybe a couple hours total on some projects. Because of this, the actors rely very heavily on the director to be the person who best understands the material and provide them with context for every piece of dialogue. I don't know who directed P5 but the periodic mispronunciations of names is on that person.

The most troubling bit here is the script. In the mid-2000s there was a brief trend in anime dubbing in which the original script was literally translated and the voice actors just read that. Sometimes this happens because the original Japanese production house demands more control, which causes the dub to suffer 100% of the time. It's almost impossible to make such dialogue sound natural. This has happened again within P5, but I think this is more due to Sega's heavy-handed approach with this specific game rather than any broader industry trend, thank goodness.

farisr

Can someone explain this challenge of neftis thing? Felt like that was some huge in-joke I wasn't in the loop on...
I don't know if it goes any further back than Damiani getting that point back that he lost in the podcast game that Kyle abandoned. The joke is that they're going to get the point no matter what and Kyle is just making a whole big deal/"challenge" around it for no real reason at all other than just that he wanted to instead of simply adjusting the points without any fanfare.

dickroach

Can someone explain this challenge of neftis thing? Felt like that was some huge in-joke I wasn't in the loop on...

it's hardly even an in-joke. it's just a dumb thing
it reminds me of Paper Mario TTYD when you run into that big, intimidating Thwomp in a dungeon, and... he challenges you.

farisr

So does that finally count as Kyle making a joke on the podcast, since the challenge being super easy is a joke?
Whether it counts as a joke or not, the panel already agreed that the robot razor part (hydro-bot reference) was a joke. So either way, that goal has been accomplished.

mcw

Just be glad they're not undertaking the Challenge of Athol, in which you get every question wrong no matter what.

abrack08

Whether it counts as a joke or not, the panel already agreed that the robot razor part (hydro-bot reference) was a joke. So either way, that goal has been accomplished.

Oh really? I remember the hydro-bot reference, don't remember the panel discussing and confirming it was a joke. Makes sense.

From the tone of the Yooka Laylee review, I was expecting a lower score...

Yeah, I've seen that comment a lot even though I felt like his score is appropriate. Something to try to keep more in mind when editing future scripts. I think I'm just used to Damiani bagging on even some of his favorite games of all time.

Plus that middle range is awkward no matter what. Game could either have lows and highs knocking back and forth or just be kind of ok throughout with nothing particularly remarkable.

Yeah, I've seen that comment a lot even though I felt like his score is appropriate. Something to try to keep more in mind when editing future scripts. I think I'm just used to Damiani bagging on even some of his favorite games of all time.

Plus that middle range is awkward no matter what. Game could either have lows and highs knocking back and forth or just be kind of ok throughout with nothing particularly remarkable.

If a game that was expected to be great underwhelms, it makes sense to spend more time focusing on what went wrong, even if the game itself is still OK.

WarRock

I don't get it actually. Damiani gave it an average score while saying multiple times the game is mediocre. If people think that mediocre means below average, that is on them.

I don't get it actually. Damiani gave it an average score while saying multiple times the game is mediocre. If people think that mediocre means below average, that is on them.
It's more that outside of the music nothing in the review is really praised but a lot is criticized. It was skewed more on the flaws than what it does well. Thus people thinking the words painted a lower score review

Like bloods review for ME showed the good and bad and how it got to that score more. But both are still good reviews. And when you play in that mid range things can swing a bit

Yuuup. I always find excuses/distractions not to start a game I've been really anticipating and even once I've started it, I'll usually find excuses/distractions that limit my game time for the first few days. It's weird and I try to be conscious of it to stop it from happening but it's a trap I always fall into.

It's more that outside of the music nothing in the review is really praised but a lot is criticized. It was skewed more on the flaws than what it does well. Thus people thinking the words painted a lower score review

Like bloods review for ME showed the good and bad and how it got to that score more. But both are still good reviews. And when you play in that mid range things can swing a bit

To me it seemed like the review was continually reiterating how mediocre the game is, not outright calling it bad. So I was expecting either 2.5 or 3.0 from it.

Yuuup. I always find excuses/distractions not to start a game I've been really anticipating and even once I've started it, I'll usually find excuses/distractions that limit my game time for the first few days. It's weird and I try to be conscious of it to stop it from happening but it's a trap I always fall into.
Once I start a game it goes away

MrMette

Sure, but he didn't really say a lot of it was bad either. It is just mediocre, so it gets a
mediocre, "decent"
score. It's not good and it's not bad. It's worse then Banjo-Kazooie, which isn't saying a lot as although as that game gets very high scores.

People hoped on more, which makes it unfortunate that it doesn't completely deliver, but that doesn't make it a bad game perse.

I always try to guess the score after I heard the review (and before the score is shown) and I am usually guess it correctly or I am very close. With the Yooka-Laylee review, I did guess the score that it got. It's seems a mediocre game with not that much big positives and negatives, nothing more, nothing less.

Agreed, I think the score was within my "error bars" -- just at the high end.

Karu

I always try to guess the score after I heard the review (and before the score is shown) and I am usually guess it correctly or I am very close. With the Yooka-Laylee review, I did guess the score that it got. It's seems a mediocre game with not that much big positives and negatives, nothing more, nothing less.
I thought it would be lower to but then I come from a standpoint where forgettable is almost the worst offender and should be "punished" accordingly. With this review, it very much came across as forgettable.

Still want to buy and test it myself down the line. Never played Kazooie and co.

The part in the review where Damiani bags on the quiz section is just awful. Reviews are one person's opinion, but it's not phrased that way at all. He just declares it like it's a universal truth.

Erevador

The part in the review where Damiani bags on the quiz section is just awful. Reviews are one person's opinion, but it's not phrased that way at all. He just declares it like it's a universal truth.
When you are listening to someone provide a critique it is a given that they are speaking their opinion. You can mentally add "in my opinion" before every sentence. It would be absurd for them to actually do that.

Servbot24

Banned

It's obvious that when someone states their thoughts on a game that it is an opinion. It doesn't need to clarified every single time. Otherwise every single post on NeoGAF would be "but that's just my personal opinion and you totally don't have to agree with me on that" :p

Friend Code is a great podcast name btw
but that's just my personal opinion and you totally don't have to agree with me on that

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Found out Slink.fm did a Nier:A spoiler cast they even referenced/gave a small shout out to Ben and his Nier:A review. It's a pretty decent discussion(almost 3 hours long) made me realize I totally missed the insanely obvious Persona 4 reference in Nier:A x_X but thinking back on it yeah it's totally that.

Hope Nier:A spoiler mode does open a patron post either for patron question/suggestion or simply discussion a bit before it gets recorded, well in case it gets one. Would be a nice way to maybe refresh on things a little.
-----------
Opened up dark souls 3 again entertaining maybe getting the DLC but man after Nioh I just completely lost my feeling for this game and I'm not motivated enough to work towards getting it back. Guess I'm past it. It's too bad sometimes I seem to miss out on the timing for Dark Souls DLC and never find a reason to get to it. Thinking about it actually it seems my main motivator to go past that have always been specific weapons/armor. I got DSI DLC because of the Artorias armor and got Old Hunter because I saw the Pizza Cutter. DS II and III I haven't seen anything yet that entices me enough xD.
Who even cares about bosses :-x #FashionSouls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom