• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the best episodes of Tabletop, everyone was so on point!

Anyways
Necator and Yogalla should totally kill the purifiers after they reveal their hiding spot, then they can steal their "end if the world" bunker and "funds" and steal the purifiers plan to wait it all out and be rich and powerful in the world afterwards. They would probably enjoy that.

Pomper and Moof can then go and try and save the world.

Y'all already got your votes in for Farming Simulator, right?

That's a strange way to spell Stardew Valley :p

What hostility?

At about the 1.45 part When they both jumped on Damiani with crap about Switch being underpowered compared to the PSFIVE.
"What are you talking about? Nintendo is gonna get left in the dust!".
I don't even know where it that came from, pulling BS consoles from the near future (next Playstation in 1 year?)when we don't even know the specs or life plans of the Switch.
They just weren't listening to what Damiani was saying and seemed to want to contradict everything the man was being saying than have a rational discussion about it.

Edit: Compare it with the thoughtful conversation from this week podcast, like night and day.

Mario007

At about the 1.45 part When they both jumped on Damiani with crap about Switch being underpowered compared to the PSFIVE.
I don't even know where it that came from, pulling BS consoles from the near future (next Playstation in 1 year?)when we don't even know the specs or life plans of the Switch.
They just weren't listening to what Damiani was saying and seemed to want to contradict everything the man was being saying than have a rational discussion about it.

Edit: Compare it with the thoughtful conversation from this week podcast, like night and day.
Oh no how dare they attack Nintendo. When switch launches it will be 4 times less powerful than Pro, closer to 5 times really.Next year it will be around 6.3 times less powerful than scorpio. That's already a very big difference and yes they were making a good point asking what will happen to third party support once ps5 launches. It will probably launch 2 years after the Switch is out, what then?
Damianis defence of "but iterative consoles" is a bad one since Sony has been saying that they are still doing generations.

Oh no how dare they attack Nintendo.

I don't really care what they say about Nintendo, it was more the way they spoke to Damiani without letting him give his point across fully.
You're a good example though, quick to shut down what someone else said because you don't agree.

Hasney

Damianis defence of "but iterative consoles" is a bad one since Sony has been saying that they are still doing generations.

Unless the Pro takes off, then they won't. At a minimum, the Pro will have extended the generation, so if a PS5 happens, I'll place a bet on 2020.

Karu

When Ben bites his fist not one but several times within a podcast, you know it will be probably stellar... now this episode? This episode was on top of Ben's wisdom from minute one to 120 simply amazing, good entertainment. Podcast chemistry right there.

Budi

Oh no how dare they attack Nintendo. When switch launches it will be 4 times less powerful than Pro, closer to 5 times really.Next year it will be around 6.3 times less powerful than scorpio. That's already a very big difference and yes they were making a good point asking what will happen to third party support once ps5 launches. It will probably launch 2 years after the Switch is out, what then?

Sure you kinda have a point there, but if gaming was just about specs nobody would play on consoles. My year old PC is better than PS4 Pro, if Switch sells well 3rd parties will be there. And Nintendo portables usually have been doing well. And before the next gen of Xbox and Playstation, devs aren't abandoning the lower spec versions of PS and Xbox. Also I would think that having Scorpio and Pro delays the next gen devices a bit.

Maiar_m

If specs were the only thing ensuring hardware success or software support, you'd be right. It's not though, never really has been, and especially not in the portable market space.

Mario007

If specs were the only thing ensuring hardware success or software support, you'd be right. It's not though, never really has been, and especially not in the portable market space.

It's advertised as a home console.

And specs are winning this generation btw. And we're talking about 3rd party support here, once it starts getting difficult to port stuff cause the console is underpowered it will be a problem. And that can happen within 2 years.

Hasney

And specs are winning this generation btw. And we're talking about 3rd party support here, once it starts getting difficult to port stuff cause the console is underpowered it will be a problem. And that can happen within 2 years.

The most powerful console winning doesn't mean that specs are winning. The cheaper console out of the gate is winning. The one that made the fewest mistakes at launch is winning. The console that didn't treat multiple countries as a lower tier is winning. If specs were winning, we'd all have PCs. My PC is more powerful than a Scorpio.

2 years is fine anyway. You forget the wonderful world of cross-gen which will keep the power thing more viable and then after that, the install base will decide it. If it doesn't sell enough, then they wouldn't bother with the effort anyway after 2 years regardless of power. If it does sell enough, they'll be willing to make the effort to make sure games are on the Switch.

Maiar_m

That said they were considering it a home console, but the ad clearly doesn't show it as a home console. It's a portable tablet that you can dock to your TV, for all that we know from that teaser trailer. Specs are irrelevant. Public perception and initial line up matters much more IMO.

Tankard

You sound very aggressive towards people who disagree with you about Nintendo Switch, like there is only positives. Guess what? There is a thousand reasons to think this is another Nintendo console that will fail, people are trying to discuss these too. Chill out, dude.

Lol, I finally dropped my patronage to a lower tier this month (which should start next month). Q and A was posted last night and I was able to leave a comment, but today I can't even view the page because of my tier. Weird.

Also, please stop with the Nintendo persecution complex

Maiar_m

Also, please stop with the Nintendo persecution complex

That's sort of the issue with the Frametrap discussion critique IMO, as Damiani pointed out, it's not a persecution complex, nor is it fanboyism or blind Nintendo hate, it's just different concerns and gaming approaches expressing themselves. Brad and Huber were pessimistic because they judge the Switch as a home console trying to fit in the same market as the other two but not being able to get the same games or performance, while Damiani argues it's not about that and there's another way. You can take the Nintendo brand out of the equation and have the same conversation, although a bit less enriched by the value of their first party titles, most of the points made either way will still hold some value.

You sound very aggressive towards people who disagree with you about Nintendo Switch, like there is only positives. Guess what? There is a thousand reasons to think this is another Nintendo console that will fail, people are trying to discuss these too. Chill out, dude.

And in turn when you do defend the Switch's ideas, people get really in your face because it's obviously going to fail since [reasons]. It's like people can like different things! Or like Nintendogs could turn out to be the system seller that ensured an install base exploitable for years to come.

I don't think anyone's blind to the obvious unsurprising fact that it's not going to outperform current gen, mid gen or next gen hardware specs-wise. It's still not historically what determines the success of a platform.

It's so very hard to discuss hardware without being automagically sorted into a Console War Great House. I don't get that. None of that speculation is going to be verifiable until at least a five year span anyways :/

That's sort of the issue with the Frametrap discussion critique IMO, as Damiani pointed out, it's not a persecution complex, nor is it fanboyism or blind Nintendo hate, it's just different concerns and gaming approaches expressing themselves. Brad and Huber were pessimistic because they judge the Switch as a home console trying to fit in the same market as the other two but not being able to get the same games or performance, while Damiani argues it's not about that and there's another way. You can take the Nintendo brand out of the equation and have the same conversation, although a bit less enriched by the value of their first party titles, most of the points made either way will still hold some value.
The Wii U exists. All of the problems still exist because we are still in that cycle

Nintendo made a pretty fantastic first impression with the Switch, but that is without showing any actual specs or actual game announcements (only implied)

The Switch is being billed as "the new Nintendo home console". Whether people like it or not, it is competing with the other two consoles. If the selling point is "gaming on the go" they are competing with phones. Right now the system seems too big to even really be considered a handheld, it's not something you can really put in your pocket

When I say "persecution complex" I'm referring to people seemingly taking negative outlooks on the Switch/Nintendo as a personal attack.

Big concerns right now for me: Battery life, power compromised for portability, region locking, controller feel

For people who don't want to game on the go and just want a Nintendo console for home, it's seeming like they're getting the short end of the stick because the console is designed around the "play anywhere" idea

There's a lot of stuff that could very easily be in or out, just needs confirmation. Unfortunately after this console cycle it is very hard to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.

UrbanRats

It's not a very powerful console,,,
"It's not a home console!"
It's not a very easy to carry around and versatile portable device...
"It's a home console first!"

Honestly the Switch could very well end up as a great device, but Nintendo has everything to prove, as of now.

Hasney

There's a lot of stuff that could very easily be in or out, just needs confirmation. Unfortunately after this console cycle it is very hard to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt.

Pretty much. I know I'm getting it day 1 regardless because the genres Nintendo fills no-one can touch them on, but for the wider public, it's not that simple. Plus I'm weird, I wish my phone was as big as the Switch (and might be if I get that Mi Max...)

Personally it'll just be home console for me bar the occasional train journey with a reserved seat and a plug socket, so everything is fine regardless for me as long as Nintendo keep their quality up in the games department.

I actually think the Wii U has helped the reception of the Switch too. Since people barely even knew it existed, it's almost like Nintendo are returning to some people.

Maiar_m

The Wii U exists. All of the problems still exist because we are still in that cycle

Nintendo made a pretty fantastic first impression with the Switch, but that is without showing any actual specs or actual game announcements (only implied)

The Switch is being billed as "the new Nintendo home console". Whether people like it or not, it is competing with the other two consoles. If the selling point is "gaming on the go" they are competing with phones. Right now the system seems too big to even really be considered a handheld, it's not something you can really put in your pocket

When I say "persecution complex" I'm referring to people seemingly taking negative outlooks on the Switch/Nintendo as a personal attack.

Big concerns right now for me: Battery life, power compromised for portability, region locking, controller feel

For people who don't want to game on the go and just want a Nintendo console for home, it's seeming like they're getting the short end of the stick because the console is designed around the "play anywhere" idea

The WiiU is a commercial failure. It's not a bad console and it has good games. Both statements are equally true and specs, which is what people seem to focus most on, have little to do with it. The Wii and NDS are phenomenal success. They have some great games. They are glorified calculators in plastic cases. People don't think Nintendo can replicate the "lucky strike" they hit with the Wii and that's fine, the WiiU has undone a lot of that goodwill and even before that, traditional gamers weren't very happy with the Wii anyway. It still doesn't mean much. Market predictability isn't exactly straightforward.

Concerns are very valid, but there's also a lot of potential. People who want to game at home can, they have the pro controller and the dock, you can let the unit docked until the end of time and you'll be fine. People who want to play on the go do have to carry a backpack around, but then again, going out I see so many (too many) people already doing that so they can take pictures with their tablets. And if you're like me and you only play at home or at your family's but don't like to monopolize the TV screen, jackpot.

I understand people are not really willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. It's fair, some people got burned twice and resent the company for changing its primary focus to a wider, different market with the Wii. I still don't think gaming has to be so black and white though and I'm glad there's a company doing something grey.

It's not a very powerful console,,,
"It's not a home console!"
It's not a very easy to carry around and versatile portable device...
"It's a home console first!"

Honestly the Switch could very well end up as a great device, but Nintendo has everything to prove, as of now.
I agree with the bolded. It's true enough of the three companies though. Sony has everything to prove with VR, Microsoft and them have everything to prove with the new mid-gen iteration cycle, etc etc... It's terrific IMO. It's really nice to see a market that is so damn young evolve and try things out.

Edit: Anyways, sorry for derailing the thread a bit. Just saying I enjoyed the Frametrap discussion and understood the counterpoint Damiani was trying to make, but Huber's sadness that his WiiU didn't give him more and made him doubt Nintendo was also fairly sensible.

UrbanRats

I agree with the bolded. It's true enough of the three companies though. Sony has everything to prove with VR, Microsoft and them have everything to prove with the new mid-gen iteration cycle, etc etc... It's terrific IMO. It's really nice to see a market that is so damn young evolve and try things out.
Indeed.

-
Meaty podcast this week, the only thing i need to say, is that i still fail to comprehend their (and the gaming populace in general) sour reaction to Ghost Recon Wildlands.

First of all, i think it looks amazing.
Second of all, i don't think Ghost Recon was ever anything mind blowing, past the first title (and even then, you've had much better contenders, for the military shooter sim crown, from ArmA to Op. Flashpoint).
Warfighter and all their other attempts weren't that spectacular at all, sort of dumbed down the formula, without bringing anything all that interesting to the table.

This one at least looks like it's trying something different, and it looks like it's going to be a multiplayer MGSV with a larger scope (and probably not as fluid gameplay, but hey).

My picks for 2017, though:
Sleeper - Nier Automata (basically what Ben said, even though i speak as someone who never played Nier, it seems like a game that will be built on word of mouth).

Bust - Scalebound (I don't think this game is going to ever turn around from the lukewarm showing).

Lock - Zelda
(Despite not being 100% sold on it myself, people seem to be going crazy over it, and i think it will deliver on that promise).

RE7 ain't gonna be great i think, and RDR2 is going to be delayed to 2018, 99%.
Horizon will be alright, not mind blowing, but still gonna get a stream of 9s, due to production value alone.

Karu

Hmm...

Sleeper - I basically got nothing for you here. I wish it will be Gravity Rush 2, though.

Bust - Horizon is certainly a possibility. Everything after the amazing reveal gameplay left me ice-cold. Mass Effect Andromeda depends on how close they build it to Dragon Age: Inquistion. If close... oh boy.

Resident 7 will probably be either Sleeper or Bust... not quite sure myself. For Capcom's sake it better be the former

Lock - Well, Red Dead 2

Edit:
It's not a bad console and it has good games.
Since you seperated console and games here... what makes the Wii U specifically not a bad console? Genuinely curious, because all I heard and saw was its borked OS et al.

Hasney

Edit: Since you seperated console and games here... what makes the Wii U specifically not a bad console? Genuinely curious, because all I heard and saw was its borked OS et al.

Borked OS? In what way? You turn on the console then touch the game you want to play. I don't see how it could be any easier.

Since all I want to do is boot a game and I didn't even need to wait for the OS to load to do that, it's my favourite of the three consoles right now. The left and right list of PS4 is a close second, then the "Why the fuck are all my games not on my front page oh and it's slow as shit because my internet is having issues today" XBox 1 is a distant third.

Sleeper - Resident Evil 7. The cries of "this is not Resident Evil" will be silenced. Capcom is onto something and is keeping their cards close to their chest

Bust - Scalebound. This game looks like a failed experiment that's no fun to play

Lock - Nier: Automata. Lock it in, this is gonna be one of the all time greats

Maiar_m

Edit: Since you seperated console and games here... what makes the Wii U specifically not a bad console? Genuinely curious, because all I heard and saw was its borked OS et al.
The OS isn't botched, just the account system that's still years behind. The console, hardware wise, was fine. Gamepad battery life sucks for sure, but it's promise has been otherwise fulfilled as far as I'm concerned. Secondary screen gaming is something I'll miss, but its foray in off TV gaming was a great appetiser of what the switch does. The console failed to seduce a larger audience, true, but I don't think it was Bad. Just not wanted, not well marketed, not well supported. Probably not "sexy" enough either. Taken at a fair value with its best games, there's little to complain about in the console itself, to me.

The OS isn't botched, just the account system that's still years behind. The console, hardware wise, was fine. Gamepad battery life sucks for sure, but it's promise has been otherwise fulfilled as far as I'm concerned. Secondary screen gaming is something I'll miss, but its foray in off TV gaming was a great appetiser of what the switch does. The console failed to seduce a larger audience, true, but I don't think it was Bad. Just not wanted, not well marketed, not well supported. Probably not "sexy" enough either. Taken at a fair value with its best games, there's little to complain about in the console itself, to me.
The main gimmick of the console (the pad) is mandatory for use, has garbage battery life, and can't even be used outside of like 15 feet from the console

The release schedule was a sad joke, with every game being held until the end of the year regardless of it being ready or not. Devil's Third was finished and in english, yet wasn't even going to be released in the US until there was an outcry. It eventually came out in December, over 2 months after its release elsewhere

Most people didn't care about Devil's Third (I get it) and thought it was the worst thing ever, that's fine, but there was nothing else coming out. Really hard to be picky about your console's games when you release 3 big titles between September and December and that's it for the year

I was sold on the console from Mario Kart and their E3 2014 showing. The spacing between those games coming out was insane. Regardless of quality, the games need to come out more frequently, otherwise its a box that collects dust as you think fondly on the 7 really good games that came out for it

Ray Down

Banned
Bust: Nier 2 (from sales perceptive) it's Platinum after all.

Sleeper: Nioh

Lock - Really nothing, Red Dead 2 I have concerns since Benz is gone.

Considering the last 2 consoles from Nintendo it's a fair thing to point out or to be skeptical about.
Calling it a hostility is blowing it way out of proportion.

Budi

Considering the last 2 consoles from Nintendo it's a fair thing to point out or to be skeptical about.
Calling it a hostility is blowing it way out of proportion.

What do you mean last 2? Wii was insane success. They can only hope that Switch will perform as well. And it got decent 3rd party support too as I recall.

Maiar_m

The main gimmick of the console (the pad) is mandatory for use, has garbage battery life, and can't even be used outside of like 15 feet from the console
Well that the pad is mandatory is an issue only if you dislike the main console selling point and by then it's really not a question of the console being good or not, it's just not what you're after. This was always going to be about asynchronous gaming and off TV games. Not into that? Not into WiiU. It doesn't make it bad (Starfox Zero does :D). I personally liked the gamepad and never questioned its necessary use, it'd be like wondering why my car has a steering wheel. Although yeah, that battery was crap. Screen quality too, but I chalk that up to price. Range was fine for me, but you're right: this was no Switch, just a living room console you could play off TV. It was poorly advertised as such and it's still paying the price today.

Completely agree with the rest of your post. I think the WiiU console was fine conceptually and had some very good games, but failed to have enough of the later to convince enough people of the former. Switch could follow the same path, but its clearer, smarter IMO introduction seems to have learned from previous mistakes. Time will tell. I'm optimistic because it caters wholly to my use case.

Back on topic, caught up a bit on the last group stream, very jolly! Luke was a great guest, I feared it was going to be awkward but he managed so well.

wiibomb

such a good podcast..

but I have a concern since some past podcasts when Ben is in them..

why so silent? there weren't many contributions in this podcast or in the ones Ben was in in recent memory, he is too quite despite having some of the truly best opinions of the panel

such a good podcast..

why so silent? there weren't many contributions in this podcast or in the ones Ben was in in recent memory, he is too quite despite having some of the truly best opinions of the panel

I tend to talk quite a lot during FT, so I want to make sure people get a chance to speak on EZA Pod.

Sometimes I'm just not very knowledgeable about a situation, such as with the voice actor strike.

We also didn't start recording until late and I was up all night playing Civ (whoops).

sora87

What do you mean last 2? Wii was insane success. They can only hope that Switch will perform as well. And it got decent 3rd party support too as I recall.

Think Wii ended up being the casuals console, it sold a lot sure but it didn't really have a compelling library for the core gamer. It had a few excellent games and some good games but that's about it. Plus the droughts, like the Wii U, were a killer.

Hasney

We also didn't start recording until late and I was up all night playing Civ (whoops).

I often wonder if there's a slight global effect on the worlds productivity in the months after a new Civ release. I know I've not been at my best at work recently.

EDIT: Oh hey, it's 3:20am here, I should probably sleep...

Hubear Syndrome was awesome. His reaction to Don's story, pricless. What a duo.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, I don't give a hoot about Nintendo. But bringing up bs points in a discussion about a console is pointless.
The battery life, account systems, Nintendo history with 3rd parties or what's this things role in a house hold that has a PS4 and and apple devices? all relevant.
Cutting off someone else repeatedly to compare Switch to consoles that are 3+ years away and pie in the sky nonsense? Insane.

It is great to get labeled a Nintendo defender though. ^_^
I mean look at the hundreds I've spent on WiiU games
v2z5A9b.jpg

Budi

Think Wii ended up being the casuals console, it sold a lot sure but it didn't really have a compelling library for the core gamer. It had a few excellent games and some good games but that's about it. Plus the droughts, like the Wii U, were a killer.

Yeah that's quite true. Although I think for "core" gamer there still was plenty of great titles especially from Nintendo. But from 3rd party too, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Mad World etc. But it sure wasn't cool and hip like Xbox 360 and PS3. Having family/casual friendly image can work as repellent for edgier gamers. And much of the 3rd party support was sport games, kids games and party games like singing and dancing. Not to forget the fitness games. But I can't in any way see Wii as a failure, Wii U I can. Even though I personally like it, more than the Wii.

Edit: Personally I'm just looking a console to compliment my PC, I think Nintendo does best in that regard. Best exclusives, it's bit more than just a weak PC, price has been lower than Sony and Microsoft offers.

such a good podcast..

I believe it actually requires more skill and precision to remain quiet and patient than it does to babble at every topic.

wiibomb

I tend to talk quite a lot during FT, so I want to make sure people get a chance to speak on EZA Pod.

Sometimes I'm just not very knowledgeable about a situation, such as with the voice actor strike.

oh you were falling asleep lol! no prob, we've all been there.

however, as a person who wasn't knowledgeable about VG in the past, I always at least ask to clarify the situation, so I can talk more if I can, I have seen you Ben, you are incredibly capable of formulating a good opinion with a clarification, also consider some of us may be are in your position, so a clarification on the topic would actually help us. For example I now understand the strike of the voice actors and I didn't before, I'm very glad someone took their time to explain that even if some are well aware.

I would argue that it actually requires more skill and precision to remain quiet and patient than it does to babble at every topic.

of course, I truly believe that too, but that doesn't apply in a podcast where a formulated opinion is much more valuable that being too quiet. After all, the point of a podcast is pretty much, discussions on opinions

Ultimadrago

I don't really care what they say about Nintendo, it was more the way they spoke to Damiani without letting him give his point across fully.
You're a good example though, quick to shut down what someone else said because you don't agree.

I'll agree. I don't have a stake with Nintendo, but it quickly became clear that Brad and Huber were simply poking at Damiani's glowing red "N" buttons preemptive after a while. I don't disagree with them completely, but let Dam say his piece. I still enjoyed the discourse overall and think it'd be nice to hear the Allies discuss their thoughts on the console more over the following months.

Burt

I'm just catching up with the LWYTG from last week (not last night), and that mind game challenge part was pretty hilarious. Show's definitely stepping up. Sad no Dear Bosman, though. Anyone watch it last night?

Edit: oh also, Bosman got that EasyAllies tag in -- noice

Hasney

Oh god, you can tell Ian had fun editing this. First scene
with Huber standing menacingly in the background is brilliant too.

Hasney

Yup, that was amazing. Probably the best fiasco they've done. Not the most hilarious, obviously with the setting, but everything ended up holding together alright and it was still hilarious in a lot of place. Great shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom