• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, buddy, I'm taking it real seriously. I was unable to get any sleep last night just thinking about it.

I don't take any of this stuff seriously, doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on what I watch. Is no one allowed to laugh along with their stuff either? Or would that be getting too invested in their shows/streams?

I say what I see (if you see it, say it (it's good but it's not right!)), and what I saw during that match was embarrassing for a grown man.

Or should I have just said ”THE SALT!!!!111" whatever the fuck that means.
Damiani and Ian were incredibly bitter lol. They kept insulting the game and Ian even threw the controller after he lost. Blaming the game their first time playing despite others performing well, and the fact that there's clearly some things to learn (power-ups, mechanics, strategies, etc.).

But hey, they're still awesome. I hope they don't take any of these comments offensively, rather work to improve themselves. No need to be a dingus in what should be a fun atmosphere :b

EDIT: Top of the page, eh? Well.. Uh.. Anyone saw Brandon's tweet recently of a confused April wondering why Huber didn't take her lol.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Damn, not such great vibes in here at the moment. Maybe this is still just some growing pains? The production pipeline at EZA still seems like it isn't nailed down yet.

I'm very much happy with the stuff I get for my patronage, and I hope the Allies still keep on the up and up (hopefully we'll get a surge of donations around E3?).

Haven't watched the Playgrounds stream, although it's never nice to have a stream end sour (I recall there being an episode of Tabletop Adventures where Huber did something and everyone seemed super pissed off).

Hasney

Damn, not such great vibes in here at the moment. Maybe this is still just some growing pains? The production pipeline at EZA still seems like it isn't nailed down yet.

I'm very much happy with the stuff I get for my patronage, and I hope the Allies still keep on the up and up (hopefully we'll get a surge of donations around E3?).

Haven't watched the Playgrounds stream, although it's never nice to have a stream end sour (I recall there being an episode of Tabletop Adventures where Huber did something and everyone seemed super pissed off).

The stream didn't end sour, it was all jolly. Especially with some of the gifts.

The individual Allies have really become better at streaming solo. Starting out it was kinda rough, but these days they each manage to hold their own pretty well (with the help of some great mods in the chat).

But MAN this Huber/Bosman outlast stream makes me miss the full playthroughs from the GT days: Shenmue, RE4, so many highlights actually. The EZ-Studio can't come soon enough!

Mad Love & Respect (especially for Jones and his tolerance of these weirdo's inhabiting his garage)

Auctopus

The Allies react to scary games in different ways...

Bosman
p7m6yUz.png

Jones
UpUv3wB.png

Auctopus

104k subs and tabletop still only getting like 6k views :( deserves so much more

I've tried so hard to keep up but after falling off in the 30s, it will take some genuine effort to get back up to scratch and that's coming from someone who really enjoys the show. I even spent a whole International flight catching up but it wasn't enough. I think I'm about 15 hours behind at the moment.

It's a great show but it becomes less and less relevant to people with each episode they miss. It's nobody's fault really, I guess they could do a catch-up episode soon? Have they done one recently already? I remember they did one in the late 20s.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I've tried so hard to keep up but after falling off in the 30s, it will take some genuine effort to get back up to scratch and that's coming from someone who really enjoys the show. I even spent a whole International flight catching up but it wasn't enough. I think I'm about 15 hours behind at the moment.

It's a great show but it becomes less and less relevant to people with each episode they miss. It's nobody's fault really, I guess they could do a catch-up episode soon? Have they done one recently already? I remember they did one in the late 20s.

Have a similar experience I'm waiting until cytube is in the 30s I imagine watching it with fellow allies could help the motivation. I think last time I checked they said they're watching 4 episodes after every talking syndrome but it's been a while since I checked in.

The film multiple episodes at once, yea? Maybe a 5 minute recap at the start of their filmings would help allow more folks to jump in to the show (e.g if they film episodes 41-45 one day, a recap at the beginning of 41). And of course, they'd need to title that episode appropriately to let newer/lapsed viewers know it has a recap.

I think that could alleviate some of the need for a full recap episode but optimally, you'd do both to ensure that newer Allies have multiple jumping in points.

Kneefoil

The one they did was episode 35, actually. It's the only one so far. Current episode is #57, so if they want to do recap episodes in a pattern, there would still be 12 more episodes before the next recap.

Naythan

Yeah, buddy, I'm taking it real seriously. I was unable to get any sleep last night just thinking about it.

I don't take any of this stuff seriously, doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on what I watch. Is no one allowed to laugh along with their stuff either? Or would that be getting too invested in their shows/streams?

I say what I see (if you see it, say it (it's good but it's not right!)), and what I saw during that match was embarrassing for a grown man.

Or should I have just said ”THE SALT!!!!111" whatever the fuck that means.

My basic "don't be an asshole on the internet" rule of thumb is: if you wouldn't say it to their face then don't say it at all.

If you were in the room with Allies while they were streaming, it would be fine to laugh along with them or really get into whatever they were playing. But if you stood up and yelled "DAMIANI YOU'RE A PETULANT CHILD. YOU'RE AN EMBARRASSMENT ACT LIKE A FUCKING ADULT!" everyone would stare at you uncomfortably and probably think you had some sort of behavior problem.

To equate that with "laughing along" or interacting with a stream is nonsense. It's okay to care but why be a dick? Your comment comes off as unnecessary, uncomfortable and most likely misinformed because you don't know anything about these people in real life.

Ultimadrago

I am excited to sit down with Huber's Outlast 2 playthrough. I enjoyed his Resident Evil 7 run and even got a friend to watch it as well.

On the latest Game Sleuth, I liked it. Yeah, I have never heard of the series in my life and it wasn't one I could have predicted. However, it was slightly entertaining all the same. I suppose some are more upset with the wait than with the product itself, which I could understand. Speaking solely on topics, I wouldn't mind seeing more obscure series focused on.

Damiani and Ian were incredibly bitter lol. They kept insulting the game and Ian even threw the controller after he lost. Blaming the game their first time playing despite others performing well, and the fact that there's clearly some things to learn (power-ups, mechanics, strategies, etc.).

Apologies for being out of the loop, but what stream was this?

My basic "don't be an asshole on the internet" rule of thumb is: if you wouldn't say it to their face then don't say it at all.

If you were in the room with Allies while they were streaming, it would be fine to laugh along with them or really get into whatever they were playing. But if you stood up and yelled "DAMIANI YOU'RE A PETULANT CHILD. YOU'RE AN EMBARRASSMENT ACT LIKE A FUCKING ADULT!" everyone would stare at you uncomfortably and probably think you had some sort of behavior problem.

To equate that with "laughing along" or interacting with a stream is nonsense. It's okay to care but why be a dick? Your comment comes off as unnecessary, uncomfortable and most likely misinformed because you don't know anything about these people in real life.

I would absolutely call out someone for acting childishly to their face. Do you know why? Because it isn't that big a deal.

You've decided to read my post in an overtly aggressive manner. That's not my fault.

And please stop calling me names, its very offensive. I'm very offended right now.

Mikey Jr.

104k subs and tabletop still only getting like 6k views :( deserves so much more

Its such a huge time investment for me. I watched the first 6 or 7. Cool stuff.

But not for me.

Honestly, maybe it would be a good idea to finish off tabletop and do something else with that time they get together every week?

Budi

But not for me.

Honestly, maybe it would be a good idea to finish off tabletop and do something else with that time they get together every week?

I like Tabletop, but I wouldn't mind if they finished this story already and started a new one with fresh characters and setting.

Also just pulled the trigger on Bayonetta and Vanquish in Steam. Both games for 30 bucks together is too good of a deal to pass. Never played either of those, my only experience with Platinum are MGR and Transformers. Liked both, though Transformers felt bit lacking. And I understand that I'm never going to get the full intended experience when I don't usually like to replay stuff and really master it. But atleast Vanquish is made to be spectacular even on the easiest difficulty =P

Karu

I hope they never enter the min-max ratings business lol. Tabletop is shooting for four, five hours a month which they obviously enjoy and it builds long-time engagement with a sub section of the community. I would hope that would be enough for a Patreon funded group. Their content is so diverse right now with Fiasconauts, Anime and Film Outsider of Gaming, I don't see how Tabletop as a niche product needs change. You can talk about soft-reboots in the same universe and the like of course, but the show itself should stay as long as the guys are up for it.

ShadyK54

I hope they never enter the min-max ratings business lol. Tabletop is shooting for four, five hours a month which they obviously enjoy and it builds long-time engagement with a sub section of the community. I would hope that would be enough for a Patreon funded group. Their content is so diverse right now with Fiasconauts, Anime and Film Outsider of Gaming, I don't see how Tabletop as a niche product needs change. You can talk about soft-reboots in the same universe and the like of course, but the show itself should stay as long as the guys are up for it.

Yup. My only suggestion is more frequent recap episodes for those that fall behind. Do one at the beginning of every session or maybe every X amount of videos.

Bahorel

Love Reaction Shots this week
Is there a place where Brazil was legally streamable? I'd like to watch with their commentary and I haven't seen it since college ten years ago

Kneefoil

But not for me.

They don't do Tabletop weekly. They record a batch of a few episodes about once a month.

I'm also personally very much against them quitting TTE and doing something else. It's my favourite show they make aside from maybe Fiasconauts, but that's only a monthly show.

That is not how Draper said it lol.. at all. And some Allies did call out Damiani, albeit in a joking manner and in a lighter tone, but you wouldn't let a friend know they're being irrational?

Hasney

But not for me.

That's the media, including games, tv and movie, that I look forward to the most of anything I consume. I will fight you.

Like literally if they said if I won a fight it would continue, I would fight someone. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though, probably got rusty in not getting in a fight for over 20 years.

End Frametrap and do a Tabletop side story instead.

arkon

The issue with Tabletop Escapades is always going to be there unless they change the structure of it to shorter standalone stories. It's just a "problem" with long serialized narratives. See also comics and manga that run into the hundreds of chapters or issues, although there the time investment to catch up usually makes it an easier undertaking. You can do things to mitigate it. Recap episodes help. Something comics do is the recap page which I think could be a good idea for sticking at the front of every episode. You could have a page for basic character traits and info, a few short sentences or a paragraph per character to explain what they're about. You could even use this character page to showcase the fanart you receive. Then you have a short summary of the story so far with more attention given to events in recent episodes. Update it every so often to keep it relevant. That way people can jump in at any episode and get a grasp of what's going on (in theory). I think they did this with Tabletop Adventures.

Another idea is maybe label episodes so that the arcs are more clear. So like Episode 36 (Khalveed part 1). Might help break the whole thing into more manageable chunks?

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not advocating for a structure change. I love the show as it is. Even found myself in a situation where I had to catch up on about 30 episodes a few months ago. I'm now down to being one episode behind.

Hasney

Maybe aim to end it on a nice round number. Like 100 or something.

Then just start a new story with new characters. NO ENDING.

WarRock

Love Reaction Shots this week
Is there a place where Brazil was legally streamable? I'd like to watch with their commentary and I haven't seen it since college ten years ago
It was on Netflix last time I checked, but time + different regions may mean it's not up.

The issue with Tabletop Escapades is always going to be there unless they change the structure of it to shorter standalone stories. It's just a "problem" with long serialized narratives. See also comics and manga that run into the hundreds of chapters or issues, although there the time investment to catch up usually makes it an easier undertaking. You can do things to mitigate it. Recap episodes help. Something comics do is the recap page which I think could be a good idea for sticking at the front of every episode. You could have a page for basic character traits and info, a few short sentences or a paragraph per character to explain what they're about. You could even use this character page to showcase the fanart you receive. Then you have a short summary of the story so far with more attention given to events in recent episodes. Update it every so often to keep it relevant. That way people can jump in at any episode and get a grasp of what's going on (in theory). I think they did this with Tabletop Adventures.

Another idea is maybe label episodes so that the arcs are more clear. So like Episode 36 (Khalveed part 1). Might help break the whole thing into more manageable chunks?

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not advocating for a structure change. I love the show as it is. Even found myself in a situation where I had to catch up on about 30 episodes a few months ago. I'm now down to being one episode behind.

I've been working on a long-form recap of the story, but I've been too busy to re-watch all of it. I'm up to Episode 23 at the moment and if I ever catch up I plan to keep it updated week by week.

Here's the very rough draft at the moment https://justpaste.it/16kz8

EDIT: It looks like it didn't carry over my paragraphs so I apologize for the hard reading

As a 100% extremely happy day 1 Patreon of Easy Allies, here's my admittedly trash opinions about current EZA:

1. Tabletop Adventures is fantastic! But...I dipped out at around episode 25. Not because I was unhappy with it or anything, just real life stuff came up causing an intimidating never ending backlog. Also, i much prefer the video version, so I don't catch up while at work (unlike the outstanding podcasts). I kind of wish they had seasons or took a break (but definitely came back!) to start fresh or give those people like me more chance to catch up/recap episodes or whatever.

2. Less streams! I don't dislike the solo streams one bit, but the group playthroughs are just so much better in my opinion. If this meant sacrificing more often solo streams, I'd make that trade.

3. (This one is really trash...) Ben should edit down his stuff more. I know a rash of "Ben" games has come out recently, but i think it's a waste of time/energy to create 10+ minute reviews. I know he has lots to say, but i'd recommend saving the "nonessential" review stuff for Frame Traps or having other specific game discussion videos.

Let me be clear, I value and seek out Ben's opinions on things as much as anyone in the gaming profession. Just things would get out quicker and he'd hopefully have more time for other things and he'd know he'd have the opportunity to expand on a game in a different less heavily editing intensive video.

4. A tired one, but another E3 coming and possibly going without a Bosman show is a bummer.

5. Let us know if the Studio goal is something they still want to pursue(Jones' garage is looking more studio-ish everyday...), and if so, what that exactly means (more group streams? scripted shows? full time workers? what a studio makes possible that the current set up doesn't (Bosman show?!).

I think that's all of my bad opinions for now...massively excited for E3 w/EZA.

Mista Koo

It's a little difficult to find good profile photos of each of the Allies that aren't just awkward, LQ caps from a podcast.
I've told Jones that they needed a publicity photo with all nine of them and he liked my tweet.

A) That's not how human interactons work. I can write a detailed paragraph about an EZA show that I hate with justifications, but that would be an extremely weird thing to say to the host of the show.
B) This isn't their thread. This thread is for the community and their involvement in it is as part of the community. The only requirement for posts here is basic human decency.

Well 2 isn't about wanting to do solo over more group things, just a necessity of them not being in the same space every day. It's kind of a "solo stream or no stream" kind of situation until they get that studio.
Even when they get the studio their schedules won't necessarily change much. Like most of them will most likely still be part time.

Hasney

Well 2 isn't about wanting to do solo over more group things, just a necessity of them not being in the same space every day. It's kind of a "solo stream or no stream" kind of situation until they get that studio.

dickroach

I like group streams and shows way way more than the solo streams 99% of the time.

a lot of youtubers will stream games while they're capturing stuff for a show, I'm surprised the EZAs haven't gone that route, though I guess Brad is for the souls retro.

Hasney

Even when they get the studio their schedules won't necessarily change much. Like most of them will most likely still be part time.

But they'll still be there more often and much like in GT, even if only the full timers are there, it'll likely turn a Ben stream into a "Ben with Brandon coming in and out", which were still fun.

Depending on the location, I could imagine Huber and Bosman using the streaming setup they have there for a better setup. Plus, would get Bowman away from his neighbours.

Love the solo streams. Yea group streams are fun and the more they interact as a group is fun but Ben, Huber and Kyle always create great solo streams as well. I'd watch more of the rest but I have to cut off the content at some point. Jones's FF6 is also really great. I catch up that in the archives. And his RDR was also great.

You lose Allies interactions with solo streams but they interact with chat more and that's a lot of fun watching live and you get great content from it. For example B v W wouldn't work as a group stream.

luchadork

I hope they never enter the min-max ratings business lol. Tabletop is shooting for four, five hours a month which they obviously enjoy and it builds long-time engagement with a sub section of the community. I would hope that would be enough for a Patreon funded group.

seems weird to produce content knowing that only a small subsection of the patreon funded community is going to watch. i know theres a stigma around them producing overtly popular content in general but when it doesnt even appeal to the majority of the eza community, it might be worth reconsidering the format?

seems weird to produce content knowing that only a small subsection of the patreon funded community is going to watch. i know theres a stigma around them producing overtly popular content in general but when it doesnt even appeal to the majority of the eza community, it might be worth reconsidering the format?

Maybe 20% of the patreons feel strongly supportive because of TTE.

Maybe another 20% are supportive because of the reviews

etc.

Not necessarily having content that is broader in views generates attachment and support.

Even if TTE fandom is a small subsection, whoever stuck by and is watching every episode has an greater attachment to it.

I can't say I'd be sad to see TTE go. I got behind very early on and now it seems almost impossible to catch up. I'm sure there's something more accessible they could do together every month. But if it makes a small percentage of the community super happy, then I don't have an issue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom