• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visceir

Not quite sure I follow -- but maybe it's just because I'm not familiar with the specifics of production. Are you saying there's a silver bullet equipment solution that's affordable and would allow them to have great production values without hiring someone on to operate it (or converting someone on the team into that role full time)?

Because if you told me that exists, I'm not sure I'd believe you.

No, but they haven't exactly shown they put much effort or care into these kind of things, they had a super blurry camera for a year and now still using a camera from way back GT days era. I'm sure there are constantly new solutions being introduced to the market and new ways to streamline the production. That's why I think it'd be valuable to have someone with the know-how and interest in that kind of stuff to come in and make the case for the investment and specifically show the right things to get and how to set those things up.

No, but they haven't exactly shown they put much effort or care into these kind of things, they had a super blurry camera for a year and now still using a camera from way back GT days era. I'm sure there are constantly new solutions being introduced to the market and new ways to streamline the production. That's why I think it'd be valuable to have someone with the know-how and interest in that kind of stuff to come in and make the case for the investment and specifically show the right things to get and how to set those things up.
I don't share your optimism in regards to those things being priced at a level that makes sense for a patreon.

I think they can get better (and are getting better -- the camera change is an attempt to improve), but I think it's going to be a slow, process of elimination thing. Like it's been so far.

I understand the frustration, but we have gotten a new camera, lights, microphones, mixer, capture card, sound proofing, the VO booth, etc. The only camera we had from GT hasn't been used for several months, and the recent technical issues have been specifically due to having to troubleshoot some of the new equipment.

Sheentak

I have a question since the allies are 5k away from a studio i was wondering, what would a studio do to benefit the allies?

Now obviously it frees up Brandons garage which I'm sure it would be nice for him but what about content wise?

luchadork

It mostly just comes off as them not seeing the importance in making the investment into proper gear to give better quality content for their viewers/patrons. Their patreon keeps on growing and at 45k/month it seems kinda crazy that they're still struggling with seeminly such poor setups, even allocating 5% of that would be over 2k/month.

Don't need to neccessarely hire someone full time but I think it'd make sense to contract or get in someone (via Keighley/their friends or old colleagues) who does that kind of stuff professionally, have them take a look at their whole setup/garage and give solid advice on how to improve their production values and make life for themselves easier...and maybe set up some ground rules and standards for everyone to follow, so stuff doesn't get lost.

It makes sense to invest in "crazy expensive" gear if they knew they'd be using it for multiple years to come and would greatly improve the quality of their product.

This is like skimping on buying shoes and then complaining for months to come that your feet hurt.

i dunno. i think its good to keep on them to try and get it right. but also from what i understand audio shit is super hard to get right. especially when they are doing shit like having multiple inputs and stuff. i've been to so many concerts where there have been audio issues. and these are multi million dollar events in specific audio listening venues hosting performances from superstars.

like, if the allies have minor sync issues from time to time, i think you gotta give them some leeway.

abrack08

I have a question since the allies are 5k away from a studio i was wondering, what would a studio do to benefit the allies?

Now obviously it frees up Brandons garage which I'm sure it would be nice for him but what about content wise?

Will be easier to have multiples allies available on streams at once and each other's shows. Shows will theoretically look better with specific sets for each show rather than taking down and setting stuff up all the time in Brandon's garage. I think Brandon also mentioned wanting a location more convenient for everyone as I think his place is a bit of a drive for some of them.

We don't know if studio is a new studio or remanufacturing Brandon's garage.
Based on the comments they've made in the past about the goal it's definitely about a new location, not remodeling the garage some more.

Bahorel

Well like I just posted on the last page, Kyle stated it will allow them to create setup spaces for each show which will help them tech and production wise so they don't have to constantly deconstruct and reconstruct for filming

Visceir

I understand the frustration, but we have gotten a new camera, lights, microphones, mixer, capture card, sound proofing, the VO booth, etc. The only camera we had from GT hasn't been used for several months, and the recent technical issues have been specifically due to having to troubleshoot some of the new equipment.

I do encourage to share that kind of stuff more often. I remember some "hey we bought new equipment, expect the quality to improve!" posts from the early days but not much recently. Some sort of "yes, we're aware of the issues and will iron out the problems before E3" communication would also be nice.

It's not uncommon for companies to have audits and have an external person come do a check-up on things, I do still think something like that would benefit easyallies productions.

Bloodworth kinda touched up on that earlier in the thread already:

Jones definitely wants a studio. One thing that can be said for sure is that we'll be open to do more things with guests - collaborations, developer interviews, game demos, etc. And Jones is excited about those opportunities. There's still a lot of details to work out before we actually get there, but we'll certainly benefit from having a space that's custom fit to do everything we want.

I do encourage to share that kind of stuff more often. I remember some "hey we bought new equipment, expect the quality to improve!" posts from the early days but not much recently. Some sort of "yes, we're aware of the issues and will iron out the problems before E3" communication would also be nice.
These both have happened. Jones did a cup of jones this week that showed off the updated setup for patrons. And they have said numerous times they're aware of the current issue and have been working to fix it before E3. Kyle said as much yesterday. They also thought they had a fix for it last week but apparently not.

Since they've launched they've improved sound mixing, VO, lighting, michrophones for group streams and camera. The upgraded camera they're using wasn't their first choice but used it as a workaround. Once they fix the syncing everything will be good

Agentnibs

Have the allies talked about how they plan to sustain a studio? It seems unfair to expect a studio as soon as they hit 50k, especially when patreon can fluctuate. Does the studio just go away if it drops below 50?

abrack08

Have the allies talked about how they plan to sustain a studio? It seems unfair to expect a studio as soon as they hit 50k, especially when patreon can fluctuate. Does the studio just go away if it drops below 50?

They've said they would need to be above 50k for a while first, they're not gonna run out and get a space as soon as they break 50k. Has to prove itself sustainable at that level.

LOL Konosuba on Easy Anime, that show was such a gift.
PKUNA6d

F4ZvQDo

O5sM9sx

hioPh0j

Axass

On tech difficulties: on one hand they're losing a lot of good will by still having constant tech problems more than one year in, especially for events such as the concert and the panel, and it makes them look very amateur-hour, moreso when compared to almost all medium-big streamers out there, who have none. On the other hand, they are trying to solve them and they're getting better at it, even though it's a slow process. They've shown they care and that they're willing to eliminate them, so I'm not mad at them or anything.

Only thing that kind of irks me is that sometimes they send out the wrong message while live: like Kyle complaining he has to fix the stream/sync or Ian saying he knows about all the tech problems but that's simply how things are. Those words are said on the spur of the moment, mostly due to frustration, I understand that, but they get 40k-45k a month now, so there should be no excuses for bad audio or visuals: just use part of the money to buy better equipment or to hire someone part-time that can look into things. It's a long-term investment to better your on-screen image and to look more professional, I think it's worth every dollar that goes into it.

Again, I don't want to be misunderstood, I think they're seriously working on getting the tech under control for E3 and beyond.

Ah, i thought everyone was charged as soon as the 1st of the month hits.

I think the charging period goes from the 1st to the 5th or something like that.

So far it's holding up exceptionally well, usually the first dip is the huge one, yet we're still above 45k. Besides Blood said we don't see the real figure that they see, which is usually higher. I'm positive we're getting Trailer Jones this month, it'll be glorious.

The tech issues at the Fanime panel were Fanime's fault, not ours. I don't understand why they do not have tech ops in every panel room. I relayed my grievances with the tech support to panel ops, so maybe next time they will be better prepared. For example, Anime Expo, to its credit, has always had multiple tech staff on hand in each panel room and have never had any tech issues with them.

Auctopus

Surprised to see Konosuba on EZAnime. I couldn't make it past the first 3-4 episodes due to the egregious fan-service. Maybe I'll try again, there's a little too much to watch at the moment.

Axass

The tech issues at the Fanime panel were Fanime's fault, not ours. I don't understand why they do not have tech ops in every panel room. I relayed my grievances with the tech support to panel ops, so maybe next time they will be better prepared. For example, Anime Expo, to its credit, has always had multiple tech staff on hand in each panel room and have never had any tech issues with them.

I see, thank you for the clarification!

Surprised to see Konosuba on EZAnime. I couldn't make it past the first 3-4 episodes due to the egregious fan-service. Maybe I'll try again, there's a little too much to watch at the moment.

Nichijou was robbed.

Why is the camera out of focus during the podcasts? It doesn't look sharp. Is that an issue with the lighting or is just the quality of the camera they have? For example, when I watched Kinda Funny Gamescast their camera is really sharp, but they do have a studio and better lighting equipment so that factors into it right?

God damn it, my card didn't work this month on Patreon for some reason.
My pledge won't much of a difference anyway but I hope they're not having issues with anyone else.

munchie64

Love Konosuba. The characters are so horrible yet still relatably caring for eachother that it just works. The humour can seem a bit egregious from the outside looking in, but they make it work.

Not gonna vote for the next EZAnime since I know jack shit about sports anime but I look forward to possibly finding a good show out of it.

The fan-service stays pretty heavy but i think the show handles it pretty well and different to most shows.

I don't even notice half the issues you guys mention, only technical issue that ever bugged me was the size of the camera in some stream where I wanted to see the reactions to something but it was just too small.
Can't even remember what it was.

Maligna

Banned
It's janky at the start but gets real good.

Sweet. Yeah probably a group stream isn't the best way to pay this game. Wish either just Jones or just Kyle had played it.

Hearing all the Allies chatting in the background would be difficult for whoever EA is playing with.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Hey all, do we know how often Brandon checks the PO Box? I don't get to watch all the way through the streams that often, but is it every week? (Omitting the fact E3 is upcoming, of course)

Tsosie

Just got the confirmation email that my payment went through.

Quick question (That I think I have asked before and did not get an answer to):

If the patreon hits a goal for the month (let's say the 45k goal), meaning all of the cash clears above 45k, does that guarantee 1 month of a show even if the displayed patreon falls below the goal for the next month?

Have they ever talked about that situation?

Hasney

The prequel is different from the announced sequel and the bet was for the latter.

Just got the confirmation email that my payment went through.

Quick question (That I think I have asked before and did not get an answer to):

If the patreon hits a goal for the month (let's say the 45k goal), meaning all of the cash clears above 45k, does that guarantee 1 month of a show even if the displayed patreon falls below the goal for the next month?

Have they ever talked about that situation?

I think they mentioned that if they dropped below the goals for Friend Code and the Movie Podcast, they wouldn't happen.

Hasney

honestly feeling a little crushed seeing it drop so much :(

Plenty of time for people to fix their payments and some people may have gone in and dropped their pledge already after seeing their higher temporary one clear. Like the dude that pledged $1k as a one off may have dropped his back down to its normal level now.

One thing I did notice on Patreon is that some creators now have a beta option for upfront charging. So the first time you pledge, it takes the payment instantly and then recurrs on the 1st of every month after that.

Plenty of time for people to fix their payments and some people may have gone in and dropped their pledge already after seeing their higher temporary one clear. Like the dude that pledged $1k as a one off may have dropped his back down to its normal level now.

One thing I did notice on Patreon is that some creators now have a beta option for upfront charging. So the first time you pledge, it takes the payment instantly and then recurrs on the 1st of every month after that.
Yea based on patreon count after the billing cycle I always felt it'd go back to 43k. As long as they got billed before people reduced their pledge it's all good.

We will have to wait to hear from EZA what goals were met.

I predict they got enough for box peek but not Trailer Jones. But Jones will do one episode anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom