• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deimo5

Tekken 7 is boring as shit unless someone's being thrown in a volcano. ARMS is somewhat interesting to watch at least.

But you can make a pro wrestler fight a bear. Also, Akuma can equip and fire a shotgun. Paging Huber here.

Can only watch half of the upcoming Ben's Dojo live fuuu

Hasney

And you can also make a sandwich in the time a juggle dial-a-combo comes out. A delicious deli special with cheese most likely.

Maybe in a few years they could feature an Ally at Gamescom.
Makes me wonder what happened to Gametrailers auf Deutschland after GT got shut down. I hope Schluffe, Brübbe and the other one landed back on their feet. Video Spielen remains to this day the most important show on digital entertainment in Europe, and shaped the lives of countless people. I doubt I'd be here if it wasn't for it.

Ultimadrago

I'm surprised to hear that Ben caught wind of many people hating Ys Origin (relative to every Ys title). I think it's easily one of the best games in the series, having completed a number of them.

I'm surprised to hear that Ben caught wind of many people hating Ys Origin (relative to every Ys title). I think it's easily one of the best games in the series, having completed a number of them.
Yeah, it's my personal favourite entry in the series by far. I'm not sure where he heard this, but I can't imagine it being a commonly expressed sentiment. The only complaints I heard at the time was that it skipped the PSP.

Philippo

Makes me wonder what happened to Gametrailers auf Deutschland after GT got shut down. I hope Schluffe, Brübbe and the other one landed back on their feet. Video Spielen remains to this day the most important show on digital entertainment in Europe, and shaped the lives of countless people. I doubt I'd be here if it wasn't for it.

tumblr_o7p02dWp8S1ux8nkxo1_250.gif

HeavenlyE

Tekken 7 is boring as shit unless someone's being thrown in a volcano. ARMS is somewhat interesting to watch at least.
I watched Funhaus and Achievement Hunter play it, 2 groups who have no idea how to play Tekken 7 and each round was more entertaining than watching the Arms open invitational finals

imo

Charamiwa

Banned
I watched Funhaus and Achievement Hunter play it, 2 groups who have no idea how to play Tekken 7 and each round was more entertaining than watching the Arms open invitational finals

imo

I agree that Arms is awful to watch when people don't know what to do but the Grand Final (and the final boss after that) was incredible.

Hasney

imo

I didn't watch the invitational, but the EZA stream was great.

Woahhohoho. Woahhohoho. WOAHHHHOOOOOOOHOOOOOO. Woah ho ho. Woah ho hooooooo.

Fire Pro Wrasslin tournament for July let's go!

I disagree completely. It has a high skill ceiling but also is super easy to jump in, push buttons and have fun exciting matches. Plus with the Rage move that is super easy to pull off for good damage, it's easily more exciting. You won't get huge juggle streams until you Get higher skilled players. So it wouldn't be an issue. Also the matches are quick, you can do dull zone/timeout nonsense like the EZA arms matches started heading towards.

As further proof. Look at me in the first Tekken 7 Ben's dojo. I hopped in, first time playing Tekken 7 and did alright. And they were fun matches. Way more exciting than watching Arms.

Mikey Jr.

Not liking the 3 person frame trap.

Seems like they talk about less games, and I literally skipped probably 3/4 of this weeks frametrap.

Do people like this format?

Tankard

Seems like they talk about less games, and I literally skipped probably 3/4 of this weeks frametrap.

Since it's still pretty long anyway, i would say keep 4 people there, but i'm fine either way really.

I prefer the 3 person Frame Trap because it seems less like people are just taking turns explaining the games they're playing. Tighter conversation

Hasney

I get why they tried a 3 man to give more time to the hottake and the emails, but I like hearing what people are playing more, which is why I like the extra people. Otherwise if they don't rotate Huber out as well, we gotta wait 10 weeks for Brandon to talk about what he's been playing again.

I disagree completely. It has a high skill ceiling but also is super easy to jump in, push buttons and have fun exciting matches. Plus with the Rage move that is super easy to pull off for good damage, it's easily more exciting. You won't get huge juggle streams until you Get higher skilled players. So it wouldn't be an issue. Also the matches are quick, you can do dull zone/timeout nonsense like the EZA arms matches started heading towards.

As further proof. Look at me in the first Tekken 7 Ben's dojo. I hopped in, first time playing Tekken 7 and did alright. And they were fun matches. Way more exciting than watching Arms.

Nah, I tried watching that and I just don't dig watching Tekken at any level. It's more fun that Injustice, but I do like watching that EZA stream of ARMS. It was fun as hell.

Mikey Jr.

So you skipped almost all of it but have still judged that it wasn't good?

Did I say it was or wasn't good?

I said I didn't like the 3 person frametrap because they talk about less games.

And those games/shows they talk about do not interest me, thusly I skipped it.

Ultimadrago

I'm all about preferring 3-Man Frame Trap. The conversation stays close knit and more fluid. It also makes it easier for Ben to pull from across the panel for perspectives without it feeling like a Final Fight Game Over Countdown edge-of-your-seat wondering when Person D will speak or be encouraged to.

It has been great so far, but we have had some of the larger presences for the format thus far (Kyle, Huber, Brandon Jones), people that could make a quick speech about a pebble on the sidewalk. I'm looking forward to a future one with a Brad Ellis, to hear more from him on various topics. He's an Ally I don't believe I hear enough from on panels in general. 3-Man Frame Trap may encourage more conversation from him.

On that note, Ben has been doing a very deliberate job of gently pressing fellow panelists on "Why" they think certain ways or have exceptions for certain aspects of a game. I love it. It's similar to how Kyle Bosman presses, but usually from a more subjective standpoint and using context of their past comments or biases to boot. This makes for even better, less defensive, answers at times that feed into the relaxed persona of the show for me. Frame Trap is an even better show for this as well.

Hasney

I'd be fine with 3 man if it was weekly or there was another show for discussing what had been being played, but waiting 10 weeks to hear what someone is playing when they eventually rotate back in is excessive.

Do a mini Frame Trap on the off weeks called i-Frames where it's just the what they've been playing part!

AAK

3 man frame trap is a huge upgrade IMO.

Sure we miss out on other allies' impressions of what they've been playing but it more than makes up for it with a much smoother listen thanks to the amplified pacing.

Bahorel

I feel like I enjoy both three and four persons so I don't mind the alternating, but three does feel a little sparser with the "what are you playing?" section (although tbh that's understandable with e3 keeping them so busy anyway)

I enjoyed the watch dogs 2 discussion, that game is great.

sora87

I much prefer 4 person Frame Trap, when it's that long it helps having more people there to offer views and discuss things.
--

I gotta admit, Arms was mostly boring as hell to watch except for 1 or 2 matches. Definitely not seeing what all the fuss is about.

Budi

I don't feel very strongly about 3 or 4 people panel. 4 was fine but 3 has been great too. But I do love emails and hottake. Since these are usual discussions in a broader sense and not game specific like the what have you been playing segment. Personally I find the former more interesting usually. Unless the game in question is something I'm really interested in or it's very unique and groundbreaking in some way. There's very rarely a reason for me to skip emails and hottake. But I really don't need to hear about Overwatch anymore, I know plenty about it even while I don't own it. Have played in beta and free weekends though. And it's one of the biggest games at this moment, so news and discussion about it are everywhere. There probably isn't much more new and interesting takes about it.

On that note, Ben has been doing a very deliberate job of gently pressing fellow panelists on "Why" they think certain ways or have exceptions for certain aspects of a game. I love it. It's similar to how Kyle Bosman presses, but usually from a more subjective standpoint and using context of their past comments or biases to boot. This makes for even better, less defensive, answers at times that feed into the relaxed persona of the show for me. Frame Trap an even better show for this as well.
Absolutely, for me "why" has always been the most important question.

CyReN

Count me as another who prefers the 3 person Frame Trap, as others have said when you had 4 it seemed to drag in parts and felt like people waiting their turn over a natural conversation.

emb

But I do love emails and hottake. Since these are usual discussions in a broader sense and not game specific like the what have you been playing segment. Personally I find the former more interesting usually.
Agreed with this point in general. The section where they talk about what they're playing lately is sometimes extremely pertinent and interesting to me, and most of the time it leads to good discussion anyway. But also pretty often, there will be games I have no interest in, or games I want to discover for myself, that I haven't gotten around to or I've barely started. In plenty of cases I end up skipping big chunks of the early parts.

Deimo5

You really get an idea of how many games ben plays when he has so much to bring to frame trap every couple of weeks. Even without bringing up Rime on the latest frame trap which he mentioned that he finished on the dojo stream.

You really get an idea of how many games ben plays when he has so much to bring to frame trap every couple of weeks. Even without bringing up Rime on the latest frame trap which he mentioned that he finished on the dojo stream.

Even accounting that playing games is his work its still a BUNCH OF GAMES.

I love it.

Budi

Huh, I guess he wasn't that impressed then since he didn't feel any need to talk about it. Bummer, would have loved to hear his take on it. It seems quite devisive game and all the talk about it after parting ways with Sony has been about controversies. Why did they split, why did GAF make the developer cry, Switch pricing, frame rates and Denuvo. Really intrigued to know his impressions about the actual game. Hopefully he is just saving up the discussion since someone else is playing it too.

emb

With him especially, it always astounds me how often someone will mention some game or series, and he'll just kinda be like 'oh, I love that so much!', and then be able to speak intelligently on it.

Huh, I guess he wasn't that impressed then since he didn't feel any need to talk about it. Bummer, would have loved to hear his take on it. It seems quite devisive game and all the talk about it after parting ways with Sony has been about controversies. Why did they split, why did GAF make the developer cry, Switch pricing, frame rates and Denuvo. Really intrigued to know his impressions about the actual game. Hopefully he is just saving up the discussion since someone else is playing it too.

The opposite actually. I really loved Rime. I'm just a big idiot and forgot about it. I know those two statements don't line up super well. Since Damiani has finished as well, would like to get him on to discuss.

3-man Frame Trap works for me, but I'd also agree that rotation needs to be handled better. There are 7 Allies to be rotated in and out, which means that 4 podcasts are needed to go through everyone. That's fine as far as spread goes.

However, of course there will always be issues with scheduling and other commitments - that's not something that can be sorted easily. At least now with episodes having a slightly shorter run-time, some Allies with a lot of additional commitments may be able to commit to episodes more frequently. Given that the podcasts are two weeks apart though, I'd honestly be happy as long as guests aren't on consecutive episodes.

Budi

The opposite actually. I really loved Rime. I'm just a big idiot and forgot about it. I know those two statements don't line up super well. Since Damiani has finished as well, would like to get him on to discuss.

Oh, really nice to hear! I feel bad for the devs because of all the bullshit surrounding it. It's really overshadowed everything about the game itself. Hopefully I get to hear you guys go more in depth on it.

I've enjoyed 3 person and 4 person frame trap panels. However if the long term rotations means I don't get Huber as the unofficial co-host then I'd lean towards 4 person panel. I need that ben/huber podcast duo!

Loved Ben's Guilty Gear stream. Glad he's all in on fighting games. It's been a sore spot for me that there wasn't anyone showing off fighting games at a half decent degree. The Injustice 2 gameplay recently was painful to watch, lol.

I know nothing about GG though so I can't say how well or poorly Ben was playing, but it made me want to buy the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom