• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visceir

lol I started watching Ippo because it was brought up in this thread, and Huber hasn't even started it.

p.s. it's awesome.

Yea, watched it as well. Really enjoyed the show -- felt like it was actually somewhat respecting my time as the story progressed on quite fast, with the first few episodes already offering a satisfying story arc.

Watched season2 and somewhat into season3 too that came out like 10 years later, it definitely shows they're from a different era with cliffhanger endings, way over the top action and just loads of "anime" bullshit, still alright but S1 is def best.

dickroach

I like that the Allies are talking about anime now. Unfortunately it seems like it's all stuff from the mid 2000s and onwards which is exactly when I fell off of anime.

Ben, any chance you guys will talk about classics such as all the stuff that had been uploaded to this channel?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-YZH6Iv0R-221C26MthWVA

Or other stuff like Ranma 1/2, Macross, Bubblegum Crisis, Guyver etc?

yoooooooooo sweet link. there's a bunch of cool looking stuff on there. any suggestions?
I remember renting that Final Fantasy miniseries on vhs from Blockbuster like 20 years ago. it wasn't great, but the box said Final Fantasy, so in 1997 that made it a 10.

Maligna

Banned
yoooooooooo sweet link. there's a bunch of cool looking stuff on there. any suggestions?
I remember renting that Final Fantasy miniseries on vhs from Blockbuster like 20 years ago. it wasn't great, but the box said Final Fantasy, so in 1997 that made it a 10.

Lots of cool stuff there. I haven't watched a lot of them in a long time. Just whatever sounds interesting to you. I remember liking Slayers, Appleseed, Guyver and Battle Angel.

I do think everyone should watch Otaku No Video though. It's an anime about being an Otaku. It follows a guy as he falls in with a nerdy crowd and moves through his life as an Otaku. Throughout it has live action interviews with real Otaku. Some of them are really weird guys.

https://youtu.be/iYv0ms0XlJs

I love that it uses real anime and manga series in the story. Was awesome seeing an anime character geeking out over Macross designs.

Karu

Don't Skip Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

I was expecting a review, but a Don't Skip will do.
Great Don't Skip, Ben. Went ahead and ordered it just now. Never played it, but the combat system seems more to my taste than the traditional turn based combat of earlier titles. I never much dabbled with setting up team mates in other games like Dragon Age: Origins or even DAII (which for the flack it gets, retained, funnily enough, all the deep customization for your mates), but I really want to dive in here especially in that regard.

Deimo5

Don't Skip is fine since the original game is a known quantity and this format gives enough room to go over the additions put in to the Zodiac Age version without having to play 100 hours.

Gametrailers gave FFXII an 8.0 btw.

Ultimadrago

I completed the original Final Fantasy XII for PS2 around the time it released. I do not like that game at all (Story, Most characters, Combat, License Board...essentially anything that wasn't the unique Guild Hunts). I've decided that The Zodiac Age will likely not change my mind. Still, a nice Don't Skip video from Ben.

I also finally got around to Reaction Shots. I feel like I should check out Brazil now. Oddly enough, listening to the show I don't feel I got a great sense of what makes the film great from Ian and Huber (aside from the set). Perhaps the magical realism examples make it more difficult to speak straightforward about. I've been liking the inclusion of constant guests on the board. They aren't always the most talkative, but give enough input to add flavor to discussion.

Servbot24

Banned
Great Don't Skip, Ben. Went ahead and ordered it just now. Never played it, but the combat system seems more to my taste than the traditional turn based combat of earlier titles. I never much dabbled with setting up team mates in other games like Dragon Age: Origins or even DAII (which for the flack it gets, retained, funnily enough, all the deep customization for your mates), but I really want to dive in here especially in that regard.

FFXII is a bazillion times better than any DA game. I think you'll enjoy.

Ultimadrago

crashtespk.gif

Good Frame Trap! It was great to hear more from Brad. Sifting through the subjects:

- I'm one of those mysterious people Ben spoke of on panel and barely like Final Fantasy XV. But that didn't take away from the discussion on the panel. It was a nice chat about some of the interpersonal touches that feed into the brotherhood theme, one of the better parts about the game. I'm not surprised that Kyle is taking to the game well, and it made for a light-hearted discussion.

- The salt over Crash Bandicoot 1 is great and well-warranted. As someone playing the Trilogy right now, I can certainly empathize with some of the points on the panel about turtle hitboxes and the bridge Bonus level fall. I haven't played 3 in a while, but I'm looking forward to getting around to it eventually (currently Platinumed Crash 1 and have moved on to beat 2 normally). Like Ben said, persevering through the bullshit did feel fulfilling in a weird way. Of course breaking boxes, spinning enemies and the "chunky" sounds of picking up Wumpa Fruit still feels good.

- I loved the "Summer Game" question. For me, I'd say Digimon World 2, which I grew up with. Same reasons as Kyle brought up Digimon World 1, it's grindy with one of the worst monster progression systems out there. That allows me to have a mission to get stronger Digimon, take down tournaments and dungeon crawl from morning to evening. I also got around to The Misadventures of Tron Bonne on a vacation once and that was also a great "Oh, I've never gotten around to this. I have time for it now" game.

- On the subject of remasters, I agree with Kyle and Brad. If a great remaster comes out for a great game, there's a reason for it. I don't get upset with myself for playing a remaster over a new game or vice versa. As Ben said, with some much longer games, it does become more of an active choice. Speaking of re-releases, I didn't get DQ8 for 3DS for similar reasons. I really like the original, but the game takes long enough that I don't feel the need to prioritize it over other games. On the other hand, I completed KH 1.5 and 2.5 last year, taking hours upon hours that could have been put towards other games. I simply had to make the choice and be okay with the time I put down. It'll really depend on preferences, priorities, so on.

- Autosaves + Manual Saves. This is the way to go almost every damn time. I will also echo Ben and agree that most games need Horizon: Zero Dawn's Quick Save system. You have a chosen file, you press one button and Boom. Back in the game. In fact, you don't even leave the game. Of course, that comes with soft respawn points and hard save slots when you need them. I save very often, so seeing the PS4's UI (or any other system's) too often tugs at me a bit.

I can see why Ben was uncertain about the temperature of the show, but I really liked it. It was good to hear much more from Brad, in particular. I will still champion 3-Man Frame Trap format. Making my favorite EZA show even better!

Auctopus

Not to derail conversation but I'm starting to improve the OT (tart it up, cut the fat, grease the palms) in preparation for OT3 and I'm open to hearing all your witty OT titles from now on.

CoolOff

I really wanted the save discussion to talk more about it as a gameplay/storytelling mechanic. I mean, it sounds like in Persona 5 it sort of does that, but an even better example is Alien Isolation.

Autosaves would completely ruin that game.

abrack08

I'm really glad Kyle ended up liking FFXV, I hope he talks about it again after finishing it next time he's on Frame Trap and maybe goes into some spoiler territory too. It was really nice in general to see a conversation about FFXV that wasn't about how it's "unfinished garbage," which seems like the tone most people online have when discussing it these days. Not that that's necessarily an invalid opinion, but it's nice to be reminded some other people liked the game.

Huber doing a full play through of Nioh?

Watched the first hour so far. Very fun.

"I'm all about the pole." Literally 2 seconds later he picks up an axe and the pole is completely unequipped.

Karu

Mhh....

Easy Allies |Final Remix 3.0| New Era
Easy Allies |EZOT3| Did You Know Gametrailers?
Easy Allies |EZOT3| All Things Gundam

Bahorel

Kyle talking about XV on Frame Trap got me super excited. I haven't played it yet (my day one edition still in cellophane) since I was waiting for patches and updates etc plus general backlogging. But hearing his passion and enjoyment for it makes me feel so much more ready for it, it sounds like what he cares about (the road trip and friendship aspects) is what I'd care about too. I've never played a FF before and I understand that there's going to be a lot of lore that will go over my head but I don't care about that I just want to cook with my buddies and drive around.

I'm really glad to hear Kyle gush when he likes something, because I feel like it's rare when a game really clicks with Kyle. (I am also shamefully a second screener so I feel better to hear him talk about that, and podcast games)

dickroach

Kyle talking about XV on Frame Trap got me super excited. I haven't played it yet (my day one edition still in cellophane) since I was waiting for patches and updates etc plus general backlogging. But hearing his passion and enjoyment for it makes me feel so much more ready for it, it sounds like what he cares about (the road trip and friendship aspects) is what I'd care about too. I've never played a FF before and I understand that there's going to be a lot of lore that will go over my head but I don't care about that I just want to cook with my buddies and drive around.
there's literally nothing connecting this game to the previous ones, except for like item and magic names.
and the fact that the music is so lackluster that the game lets you just listen to the soundtracks from the old games.

Mista Koo

I don't like the Nier spoiler disclaimer. They should always clarify whether they'll do plot/reveal spoilers or they'll just mention details. IMO the latter doesn't need a warning when you have timestamps (especially since it's not a new game that people would expect early impressions for).

I'm one of possibly few people who didn't love Netflix Castlevania. I thought the gore and profanity were too gratuitous and edgy.

Easy Allies |EZOT3| Did You Know Gametrailers?/QUOTE]
Easy Allies |EZOT3| Is that the GameTrailers guy?

Bahorel

I don't like the Nier spoiler disclaimer. They should always clarify whether they'll do plot/reveal spoilers or they'll just mention details. IMO the latter doesn't need a warning when you have timestamps (especially since it's not a new game that people would expect early impressions for).

I'm one of possibly few people who didn't love Netflix Castlevania. I thought the gore and profanity were too gratuitous and edgy.

I'm glad they had a disclaimer. I skipped the discussion as soon they told me to since I still want to play it and don't want plot spoilers. I'm not sure what they discussed but I'm glad they gave me the wake up call to go ahead. When I'm at work listening to the podcast on my phone I'm not paying attention to the text description below

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom