• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budi

I hear you on that.

I want to clarify a couple of things about criticism in the thread. Beware that this is absolutely not geared against you but I think it's an important thing to address and your previous comment prompted me towards this.

We have to remember ourselves that we have a very tight-knit community here. We know we are heard, Blood Ben and Michael routinely show up here and discuss things with us.
Generally speaking, the positivity towards the allies is very high here, and it's very rare to see any feedback here that is not based on real motivation of getting them in a better place (even in cases I disagree with said feedback).
That said, I fear for them everytime I read a comment that dismisses some criticism and seem to want to shield them from the loop of feedback (critical and positive). I think they can see GAF as a place where feedback and criticism is level headed and coming from true fans. I think it's too easy in this day and age of patreons to have a fanbase split in sections where the most vocal fringes are either a toxic bunch or a die-hard defence force at the opposite ends of a silent majority.
Let remember us that and when we face someone we're disagreeing with here let's try not to paint then in a negative light just because they gave a critical feedback.
Yeah absolutely. But at the same time it's fair to call out things that aren't really constructive but lean more on the "dickish" side. This happens too from time to time, I have been guilty of it myself and I'm glad that people pointed it out. And in cases when someone says they don't like a thing others are also free to respond if they did like it. Ofcourse people like different things. I find it to be a positive when things turn into debate. People will go more in depth from both sides when challenged to explain and clarify, then the feedback can be truly helpful. Nobody should be policing that only positive feedback is shared here. But the tone is important, if someone gives their feedback with a "know-it-all" attitude (there's a recent example of being factually wrong), rudely or without actual thoughtful criticism but instead venting there probably will be some backlash and I don't think that should surprise anyone. Nobody wants this thread to be like typical Youtube comment thread. "Huber in the video, automatic dislike" is something I remember from Gametrailers days and it's Youtube comments.

Edit: Just want to add this quote as an example of thoughtful critism. Bolded the important part. Haven't played GTA online in a long time though, so no idea if that 20 minutes is a huge exaggeration =D But nevertheless, it goes beyond "it's bad". If people really want their message to get across, it kinda needs to be done in a right way. Even so the people who the feedback is aimed at won't dismiss it.
Without trying to purposely propagate the negative reaction, the only genuinely 'bad' game choice I can see on there is GTA: Online.

It sounds okay on paper but 20 minutes of that slot will be spent loading in/matchmaking in to a Los Santos lobby and then matchmaking in to a match (and that's just a run of the mill TDM, not a Heist). For an action-packed title, the online partion has a hell of a lot of waiting about.

That's unless Jones is just planning a solo rampage or something.
Another great example is that long Scrotum Phillips post you quoted too. And nobody here tried to discredit the post, argue against it or tell them to stop complaining.

Also to clarify when I said that I support the idea that EZA would stream games they have fun with, I think that fun translates to the audience. I watched some of that horse jockey stream when it happened, if I remember correctly they didn't have that much fun with it and it definitely related to the audience too.

Them playing Alpha 3 on the group stream was a nice surprise! Also Damiani is the best voice actor.
Respect the circle!

Also for people who wanted board games on Easy Livin, Ian explained that it would be hard to set it up during a marathon. He said he'd like to do a board games stream later.

It's not mine. This is probably how I'd do it:

NWa8ej8.png

True Neutral should be the cardboard cut-out of Lightning.

Budi

Real glad that Lawbreakers was atleast brought up in the Games of August segment. I think Ben was fair saying it seems quite by the books aesthetically. But he was also right that he definitely needs to try it out himself before making full judgement. Personally I really adored the movement in the game and the matches were really thrilling because of the fast pace. It was nice that the discussion ended in a positive note with Ian being open to it and allegedly Brad being excited. I was actually hoping to get some impressions about the beta from Brad. I'm still on the fence about getting it myself, I've have pretty much fallen out of shooters (especially competitive multiplayer) long time ago. And I'm worried if the game doesn't get any casual following, I have no chance in playing against only the hardcore. It's not an easy game to be great at.

It was also surprising to hear Rohan Rivas on some of those early introduction videos for the game.

Edit: Hah a Goodfellas shoutout! If I was part of the Podcast my goal would be to snuck in a Scorsese film mention.
I'm with Ben, respect to Jones for picking
Divinity
as his Poptart!

Yeah absolutely. But at the same time it's fair to call out things that aren't really constructive but lean more on the "dickish" side. This happens too from time to time, I have been guilty of it myself and I'm glad that people pointed it out. And in cases when someone says they don't like a thing others are also free to respond if they did like it. Ofcourse people like different things. I find it to be a positive when things turn into debate. People will go more in depth from both sides when challenged to explain and clarify, then the feedback can be truly helpful. Nobody should be policing that only positive feedback is shared here. But the tone is important, if someone gives their feedback with a "know-it-all" attitude (there's a recent example of being factually wrong), rudely or without actual thoughtful criticism but instead venting there probably will be some backlash and I don't think that should surprise anyone. Nobody wants this thread to be like typical Youtube comment thread. "Huber in the video, automatic dislike" is something I remember from Gametrailers days and it's Youtube comments.

Edit: Just want to add this quote as an example of thoughtful critism. Bolded the important part. Haven't played GTA online in a long time though, so no idea if that 20 minutes is a huge exaggeration =D But nevertheless, it goes beyond "it's bad". If people really want their message to get across, it kinda needs to be done in a right way. Even so the people who the feedback is aimed at won't dismiss it.

Another great example is that long Scrotum Phillips post you quoted too. And nobody here tried to discredit the post, argue against it or tell them to stop complaining.

Also to clarify when I said that I support the idea that EZA would stream games they have fun with, I think that fun translates to the audience. I watched some of that horse jockey stream when it happened, if I remember correctly they didn't have that much fun with it and it definitely related to the audience too.

In the end I substantially agree with you, but let me just point out as reminder to us all that deciphering the "tone" of an internet message is very difficult. It's to easy to come to the conclusion that someone is being a dick just because we are in disagreement. Maybe that someone put some effort in writing something that is rooted in constructive criticism, just to be called out unfairly by the defence force and have his message buried by wall of counter-negativity.
You're totally right about having a debate: it's better to talk about the merits of someone's opinions than try to discern their ultimate agenda.

Budi

In the end I substantially agree with you, but let me just point out as reminder to us all that deciphering the "tone" of an internet message is very difficult. It's to easy to come to the conclusion that someone is being a dick just because we are in disagreement. Maybe that someone put some effort in writing something that is rooted in constructive criticism, just to be called out unfairly by the defence force and have his message buried by wall of counter-negativity.
You're totally right about having a debate: it's better to talk about the merits of someone's opinions than try to discern their ultimate agenda.
True, in GAF overall dogpiling can distract from the actual point if there was one.

Servbot24

Banned
Started watching JoJo, two episodes in... hmmm there is some intrigue but I'm not sure yet. The art style is very jarring after just finishing Mob Psycho, lol

Auctopus

Started watch JoJo, two episodes in... hmmm there is some intrigue but I'm not sure yet. The art style is very jarring after just finishing Mob Psycho, lol

The art style for Part 1 is quite dated now, it changes quite heavily through the anime, most notably in Parts 3 and 4.

Part 1 is also nothing like the rest so I'd recommend staying on - it's a whirlwind ride after Part 1.

luchadork

a lot of the 'constructive criticism' has basically been "i dont like that game. you should play this game that i like." or "i dont like this video. you should do videos i like".

its unrelenting and myopic.

a lot of the 'constructive criticism' has basically been "i dont like that game. you should play this game that i like." or "i dont like this video. you should do videos i like".

This is the perfect example of the problem I was talking about. If you think that most the voices here could be reduced to that, you should really reconsider your ability to read your fellow EZA allies here. What you just wrote seems like a very convenient self-absolution to give yourself permission to dismiss everyone's opinion but yours. Talk about myopy...

Tankard

YOU saying that?
Now i really have seen everything.

ShadyK54

Checking the website for the schedule & I like the *insert Ally name here*+ indicator to let people know it won't be strictly the Ally playing that shows up.

Edit: Also, FLCL EZAnime is up!
Huber returns!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Good podcast with them talking about August and September games but I was disappointed that they didn't have an actual conversation about Matterfall because Housemarque is fucking awesome and this game will be nothing less. Simply believe that this game deserves a lot more than just a mention.

Mikey Jr.

Good podcast with them talking about August and September games but I was disappointed that they didn't have an actual conversation about Matterfall because Housemarque is fucking awesome and this game will be nothing less. Simply believe that this game deserves a lot more than just a mention.

Matterfall looks super generic from my view. Nothing about it looks appealing at all. Looks like it plays like a million other of those type of games.

I love Housemarque's output this gen but yea.....Matterfall doesn't look that great. Especially after Nex Machina

I'll grab it down the road

aadiboy

Oh man, this week's podcast was so great! That Damiani joke was so mean, yet so funny, it caught me off guard. Jones is really good at doing immediate funny responses to stuff. I remember when the group was talking about who would keep the reward if EZA won something and Jones immediately said "I would."

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I love Housemarque's output this gen but yea.....Matterfall doesn't look that great. Especially after Nex Machina

Are you serious? I think that it looks great and will be better than Nex Machina. It's basically an extreme version of Outland which was/is a 2D classic. Matterfall will be no exception. Nex Machina was great (8/10 for me) but im fully expecting Matterfall to hit my 9/10 mark just like Outland did six years ago. I can understand if the game doesn't appeal to you but to say that it doesn't look great is mind boggling to me.

Servbot24

Banned

It looks good but I'm not a big fan of the main character... looks pretty dull and his animation seems odd as well. Still I'm sure the game will be great.

mcw

They're about to stream from a beach house for a whole weekend and I feel like there has been zero promotion of this...

Am I off base here...?

So they're all streaming from 10PM tonight until 1PM tomorrow? This weekend is gonna fuck with some sleep cycles HARD.
i hate living on the east coast only because of how everything i love comes at like 10pm or later...

i miss PST
They're about to stream from a beach house for a whole weekend and I feel like there has been zero promotion of this...

Am I off base here...?

im sure they've mentioned it during their streams and they also had that trailer.
but yeah, it should be on billboards everywhere

So they're all streaming from 10PM tonight until 1PM tomorrow? This weekend is gonna fuck with some sleep cycles HARD.

50 straight hours starting approximately 40 minutes from now.

Also, yeah, love the guys, but their self promotion/social media game is um, subpar to say the least. At least they always kill it consistently better than anyone else (in my opinion) with the actual content. I think maybe a topic is going up on the main board that will hopefully grab some peoples attention, because i'm sure many don't know that this is actually going on.

mcw

im sure they've mentioned it during their streams and they also had that trailer.
but yeah, it should be on billboards everywhere

Yeah... It's such a cool thing they're doing. I want everyone to know! But they've barely mentioned it on their own podcasts and the trailer was originally only shown at like 3 in the morning on Twitch...

ZeoVGM

Banned
No OT? :(

I'm too drunk to make it.

Also, I set up an extra TV to have this going on all weekend, while the main TV is for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom