• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have majority of Yakuza 0 to finish, I'll never be ready for Kiwami at launch. Ughhhhh

Too many games this year man

.....I'm still barely into Horizon as well

ShadyK54

I ask you, and anyone in this thread, what is the most time you've spent with a game and what was it?

For me it's a tie between Skyrim and Civ5, both around the 200 hours area. I know that doesn't hold a candle to people who spend years on MMOs but for me that's a ton to put into single player experiences.

The only ones I can think of are Fallout: New Vegas & Persona 4 Golden. Both eclipsed over 200 hours each (across multiple playthroughs, of course). Just completely got swept up in them both. A couple of my all time favorite games, for sure.

I'll most likely blaze past 200 hours in Persona 5 when I finally commit to finishing my NG+ playthrough.

I ask you, and anyone in this thread, what is the most time you've spent with a game and what was it?

For me it's a tie between Skyrim and Civ5, both around the 200 hours area. I know that doesn't hold a candle to people who spend years on MMOs but for me that's a ton to put into single player experiences.

In recent years, it would definitely be Destiny. I've got around 150 hours in that game.

Back in college, I played a TON of Halo 3 and Modern Warfare though, so I imagine I spent at least 150 hours in one of those.

I don't usually get as into single player games but I'm over 85 hours into Breath of the Wild now and still have about 25 shrines to find, so I'll likely go over 100 in that!

I finished Yakuza 0 last weekend. Clocked in at 77 hours (with only 56% complete apparently). Loved every single second of it. Phenomenal game.

Already got Kiwami preordered. At £22 I'd be stupid not to.

Auctopus

They've done collabs with other places before, but I'm guessing RoosterTeeth management don't see it as a mutually beneficial thing as in terms of audience, FunHaus is a step up.

Not to take anything away from GT/EZA but I still follow her on Twitter and it's crazy how much more of a fanship/exposure she has now.

It's so strange seeing so many people know her and that dumb dog that can't walk itself.

Not to take anything away from GT/EZA but I still follow her on Twitter and it's crazy how much more of a fanship/exposure she has now.

It's so strange seeing so many people know her and that dumb dog that can't walk itself.

Yeah. Funhaus has taking her to a whole new level of exposure, which is excellent for her. She deserves all the recognition she gets.

I'd really like to watch more of her but I just genuinely can't stand any of the rest.

250-300ish days into FFXI. Hard to know the exact amount since there was a lot of AFKing involved. Think my playtime was listed around 425 days when I stopped playing. Not counting MMOs it would be probably be Total War: Shogun 2, somewhere around 500-600 hours co-op put into that. Counter Strike (1.6/2.0, haven't played in years) & Rocket League would both be up there too... None of these are single player though. Most into a single player game? My Skyrim time is probably right around yours

Aters

1000 hours in BF4.

1200 hours in Destiny. Bought it at launch and only stopped playing it a month ago. Super excited for Destiny 2.

Fou-Lu

Maple Story didn't document hours when I played it, but at least 1000 hours there and 800 in DOTA 2. There are multiple JRPGs where I have a couple hundred hours.

Lexad

The only ones I can think of are Fallout: New Vegas & Persona 4 Golden. Both eclipsed over 200 hours each (across multiple playthroughs, of course). Just completely got swept up in them both. A couple of my all time favorite games, for sure.

I'll most likely blaze past 200 hours in Persona 5 when I finally commit to finishing my NG+ playthrough.

Destiny for me at over 460 hours

Lexad

Any word on any of the allies playing hell blade?

Also too early to call but what games do you think will be up for game of the year for EZA, which one will take it all?

Zelda, nier, persona, and horizon will be up there. I think dark horses could be pyre or hell blade. Mario will probably show up there too.

I think it goes to persona. Zelda had quite a few issues and the allies have seemed to have had it dropped off the radar. They were pretty critical on horizon as well. I think Ben and Huber will lead the charge for persona at years end

Bahorel

Also too early to call but what games do you think will be up for game of the year for EZA, which one will take it all?

Zelda, nier, persona, and horizon will be up there. I think dark horses could be pyre or hell blade. Mario will probably show up there too.

I think it goes to persona. Zelda had quite a few issues and the allies have seemed to have had it dropped off the radar. They were pretty critical on horizon as well. I think Ben and Huber will lead the charge for persona at years end

My prediction with be Mario. Every single one of them will play it and I'm pretty sure they're going to be so hyped on it during the holiday season it'd be at the forefront of everyone's mind (similar to the last guardian and Mario will be even better performing )

Pretty much the stuff you mentioned

I don't think Horizon has a chance in the main categories (besides like MOST GRAPHIX or something)

Would love to see Wolfenstein and TEW show up, high hopes for both of those.

Sonic Mania will probably show up for a random category

Auctopus

I'm pretty certain it'll be Zelda. All the Allies are hot on it but most importantly Ian's hot on it, who's pretty much the swing voter. Huber (who swung the BB vs. TW3 vote to BB) loves it too and I haven't heard Damiani talk that passionately about any game besides Zelda or Mario this year (maybe RIME but I don't think it's really in the same league to him).

The only game I can see possibly de-throning is Odyssey but I honestly don't think any other game has a chance within the group this year.

Bahorel

Loved to see Jones on Reaction Shots this week. Ian, I don't want you to worry about the podcast as you said at the end. You're doing a great job, I enjoy the balance of fun and analysis, and I'm entertained even if I haven't seen all the movies you bring up. And the opening theme is awesome too.

MrMette

Don works for FunHaus too right?
Their target audiences seem kinda different as well

Yeah, but as far as I know, Don is an editor there and not on camera (that said, I don't watch Funhaus, so I am not sure if that's the case or not). They probably don't really care in that case. Elyse is one of the faces of RoosterTeeth's shows (I am quite sure Funhaus doesn't have a say about this, but it's their parent company RoosterTeeth who does). We don't know what's in her contract either. Maybe they forbid collaborations with non-RoosterTeeth channels (they have plenty to do collabs with).

I have watched some funhaus when Elyse went there and it really is not cup of tea (nothing against people who like them btw). I also don't think it really fits with the vibe Elyse had at GT and imo she changed a lot working there (from the few things I have seen). That said, I am glad that she is doing well and it looks like she enjoys it + she is there with her husband/boyfriend (not sure), so I am glad for her (would rather have her at EZA, but what can you do).

Budi

I have watched some funhaus when Elyse went there and it really is not cup of tea (nothing against people who like them btw). I also don't think it really fits with the vibe Elyse had at GT and imo she changed a lot working there (from the few things I have seen). That said, I am glad that she is doing well and it looks like she enjoys it + she is there with her husband/boyfriend (not sure), so I am glad for her (would rather have her at EZA, but what can you do).
I got it! 60k Patreon goal, with that extra ten grands going to Elyse.

I can't really say for sure but I figure it'd probably be one of these three:
Final Fantasy VII - Replayed it a dozen times, most of which I did pretty much everything.
Suikoden II - Same as FFVII. My favourite RPG ever.
Rome Total War - Played through numerous campaigns. I've always been a huge fan of Ancient Greek/Roman history, so I was hooked from the minute I had a computer that would actually run it.

Oh, that's sad to hear. I know 0 is widely loved, and it really reached a new audience, but it really messed up a lot of things I loved of previous yakuza games. Just to mention one of those, they fucked the karaoke...

You say fucked the karaoke, I say made karaoke less of a chore. It used to be one of those mini-games I'd leave to the end as getting all the songs near perfect could take a while. Now I don't.

The worst part about Kiwami is knowing I'll have to play that awful batting cage mini-game yet again. That thing should've been put out of its misery the minute they came up with the awesome Shinada batting mini-game in Yakuza 5, yet they dragged that old carcass back out for 0 and Kiwami anyway. Thankfully, Yakuza 6 DOES bring back Shinada's version and that's something to really look forward to.

I hope next time someone makes a bet with Bosman that they make him write a BBT episode. A 10 minute episode that he has to perform in front of everyone (maybe have Huber as Penny, Bosman as Sheldon, and Brad as Guest Star Wil Wheaton).

Edit: I don't watch the show, so oops on the dumb idea. I WOULD watch the show, but I feel like EZA has spoiled too much that I wouldn't find the jokes funny.

Citations needed on almost everything Damiani said about Reggie's job at Nintendo. Yikes, what a mess. If you don't know the answer, just say you don't really know.

I mean it's not up to Reggie if a game gets localised...it's up to Japan...

..So Nintendo Europe went rogue and paid to localise Xenoblade, Last Story, Disaster and Pandoras themselves behind Japan's back.

yeah that was terrible.

MrMette

He is not on camera often but he does appear. Kinda like EZA minus the weekly group stream.
Oh, ok. Then it's either a different contract (maybe Don managed to get something in there) or something I can't think of. While I loved seeing her at Easy Update and I would love to see her more at EZA, she is doing her thing right now. Maybe when EZA get to the studio tier.

Bahorel

Ergh it's been a while since I checked but I'm a little bummed to see they've slipped quite a bit farther away from 45k. Hoping it's still technically growing though.

yeah that was terrible.

Did you miss the posts underneath that one or something? Damiani was right. I'm surprised some people are just learning this, I thought Nintendo having final say over what their regional offices do was fairly common knowledge on GAF, especially after Iwata appointed himself as NoA's CEO.

Speaking of that segment, where the hell is Great Detective Pikachu? It's been a year and a half since it came out in Japan and we've heard nothing about a localisation. NOTHING!

Ergh it's been a while since I checked but I'm a little bummed to see they've slipped quite a bit farther away from 45k. Hoping it's still technically growing though.

There are a few things going on. I think we hit a temporary surge with Box Peek and people settled back to normal after it was funded. We have a sponsor slot open at the moment. Hoeg was pumping in some extra funds. (Those two sponsors alone account for a lot) There are some people who left because they're unhappy with Patreon closing down another creator's account. And then the current slowness also mirrors last summer. So it might just be a general pattern for this time of year. Of course we're keeping an eye on it, but nothing that has me concerned.

Kneefoil

Catched up to Paper Mario: TTYD streams, and I dislike how helpful the chat was being. If Ben is going to the wrong direction, forgets/doesn't know about a game mechanic, or asks something, then I feel like it can be good to say something, but telling him hints and tips unprompted gets a bit annoying. If he misses an item, badge, or a star piece, so be it. If he decides not to equip the cricket SFX badge before Hooktail, I think he should be let to fight Hooktail without it.

In this case he did ask just before the boss fight about if he'd missed the cricket badge, because he hadn't realized what the sound effect was supposed to be, but people told him to equip the badge way before that, and that's the point. I would find a more natural playthrough a lot more interesting than one in which he might as well keep a GameFAQs tab open. TTYD isn't even a hard game anyway. Maybe at the very end it can get a bit tough.

Ben seems to be enjoying streaming/playing the game, though. I guess that's the most important part.

Budi

There are a few things going on. I think we hit a temporary surge with Box Peek and people settled back to normal after it was funded. We have a sponsor slot open at the moment. Hoeg was pumping in some extra funds. (Those two sponsors alone account for a lot) There are some people who left because they're unhappy with Patreon closing down another creator's account. And then the current slowness also mirrors last summer. So it might just be a general pattern for this time of year. Of course we're keeping an eye on it, but nothing that has me concerned.
Wow I only know of two that got closed. And I'm sad to hear if there was overlap between EZA. "Creators" isn't the proper word for those that put people in danger and can cost lives.

You say fucked the karaoke, I say made karaoke less of a chore. It used to be one of those mini-games I'd leave to the end as getting all the songs near perfect could take a while. Now I don't.

I understand what you say, but especially for the karaoke, I wasn't there to "play" the game, just to hear the duets and the pretty images at the end of the song. Now the characters don't even lip-sync while singing.
The very issue I have with the game is that everything is now behind walls of text and it's cluttered with systems (the combat styles, the level up grid) that now depends on money you have to acquire by forcefully playing all those minigames.
The previous games had a relaxed rhythm that let you explore the city and get some story at a relaxed pace, all while enjoying the mild gameplay fun to be had in kamurocho.
Now they "fixed" it and it tries to play like a modern videogame, but imo it's a death blow for the simple game foundations.

That said, I'm happy the series has new fans. I have high hopes for 6, new engine and new gameplay.

Axass

Some thoughts since I haven't commented much lately:

- Watched the last two Frame Traps back to back: what a treat! Ben's getting better and better as a moderator, also he's both super insightful and super funny.
I think he has a great capacity of absorbing, learning and repurposing what he sees and experiences. He's a little Borg! Joking aside, his adaptation skills show a great intelligence.

- Podcast's cool as always, mad props to Kyle for keeping it interesting over this newsless months.

- Huber Hype is getting better and better IMO, love the return of the green screen and that gambling backstory was amazing: I respect him a lot for having had the courage to share it with us.

- Don's Beat Cop video was otherworldly, both in the editing and in the script. His talent really shines in the self-produced stuff, he should really do more because everything he has done so far has been a hit.

Wow I only know of two that got closed. And I'm sad to hear if there was overlap between EZA. "Creators" isn't the proper word for those that put people in danger and can cost lives.

Honestly doubt it, we're probably talking of a range of 5-10 people at best if any.

I was thinking the same thing. It probably isn't much of an overlap but good riddance if that's the case anyway.

I understand what you say, but especially for the karaoke, I wasn't there to "play" the game, just to hear the duets and the pretty images at the end of the song. Now the characters don't even lip-sync while singing.
The very issue I have with the game is that everything is now behind walls of text and it's cluttered with systems (the combat styles, the level up grid) that now depends on money you have to acquire by forcefully playing all those minigames.
The previous games had a relaxed rhythm that let you explore the city and get some story at a relaxed pace, all while enjoying the mild gameplay fun to be had in kamurocho.
Now they "fixed" it and it tries to play like a modern videogame, but imo it's a death blow for the simple game foundations.

That said, I'm happy the series has new fans. I have high hopes for 6, new engine and new gameplay.

Oh, okay, I can agree with you on some of that then. I'm not the biggest fan of Kiryu's various new fighting styles because none of them are anywhere near as good as his main one and Zero locked that behind a ridiculously long side quest. I find that it usually takes a couple of games for the Yakuza team to get a new fighting style down right (eg, Saejima and Akiyama in Yakuza 5), so introducing a half dozen new fighting styles in Zero wasn't the greatest. They were all very gimmicky, especially Majima's big bad style (which I didn't even bother unlocking in my EX-Hard run).

To be fair though, most of the series has had moves/upgrades locked behind lengthy side quests. Yakuza 5 was the worst at that, with major side quests for each of the five main characters. That and the stop-start nature of playing through one character and then starting from scratch with the next murdered the pacing.

BBboy20

DG8ADy8WsAEkgjx.jpg:large

Servbot24

Banned
Watching the Mario Sunshine stream... has Kyle really never sworn on camera? I can't remember an instance of it, but that's quite the feat if so.

farisr

Btw are we getting some betting special for gamescom and TGS? Gamescom starts in 10 days.
Gamescom is just not that big anymore in terms of new announcements unfortunately, so very likely no betting special for that. TGS has more of a chance at getting one due to the Sony conference.

Deimo5

Last year they didn't do Gamescom and combined the Playstation Meeting and TGS into one. Not sure if that meeting thing is even happening this year.

Did you miss the posts underneath that one or something? Damiani was right. I'm surprised some people are just learning this, I thought Nintendo having final say over what their regional offices do was fairly common knowledge on GAF, especially after Iwata appointed himself as NoA's CEO.

lots of what he said was wrong. i wasn't speaking about one point in particular.

Last year they didn't do Gamescom and combined the Playstation Meeting and TGS into one. Not sure if that meeting thing is even happening this year.

PlayStation Meeting's are only ever held for major hardware announcements (Vita, PS4 and PS4 Pro were the last three), so there definitely won't be one this year. Otherwise, Jim Ryan gave lip service to Gamescom but gave no confirmation of an EU conference this year (which is dumb IMO), so it seems like Sony's only conferences left this year are TGS and then PSX.

Microsoft apparently have something going on at Gamescom but given the dire state of their first party lineup, I'm not expecting much from it. At best it might have a new Age of Empires and then a few new timed exclusive indies or something.

And then there's Nintendo, who could announce a new Direct any day and then release it the next.

I'm not sure Sony's TGS conference is big enough to warrant a betting special by itself, so I figure our best chance of one before Game Awards/PSX in December would probably be if Nintendo gave us a week's notice for a new Direct sometime around TGS and EZA could bet on both events. Not very likely, TBH.

lots of what he said was wrong. i wasn't speaking about one point in particular.

Like what, exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom