• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine Review Scores: Issue #399 — Hellblade II, Homeworld 3, Still Wakes The Deep and more scored

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If he is giving out review scores based on platforms then how in the world did he give Ghost of Tsushima a 5/10?

More Sony tax? Or does this also fall under "it happens"?
over it whatever GIF

JackMcGunns

Hellblade was multiplat.

It's the same tired ass mechanics in 2024. A slog.

I mean don't give it a 9.5 then.

Read my full reply. I said low scores happen in games on both sides, but what has happened here is a game going from 9.5 to 4.0 when switching to MS exclusive. Show me the example when a game was on both Xbox and Playstation, then got review bombed when it became PlayStation only, then we're done.

Topher

Gold Member
I mean don't give it a 9.5 then.

Read my full reply. I said low scores happen in games on both sides, but what has happened here is a game going from 9.5 to 4.0 when switching to MS exclusive. Show me the example when a game was on both Xbox and Playstation, then got review bombed when it became PlayStation only, then we're done.

lol....Hellblade 2 didn't get "review bombed".

JackMcGunns

My guy, from the get go I said can you explain this one reviewer who gave it a 9.5, then turned around and gave the sequel a 4.0. Edge was at least consistant. Some reviewers are full of shit. I didn't say it was review bombed, I was asking to show me a scenario where a game was on Xbox, then became a PS exclusive and got a bad review, review bomb was incorrect wording on my part.

Three

My guy, from the get go I said can you explain this one reviewer who gave it a 9.5, then turned around and gave the sequel a 4.0. Edge was at least consistant. Some reviewers are full of shit. I didn't say it was review bombed, I was asking to show me a scenario where a game was on Xbox, then became a PS exclusive and got a bad review, review bomb was incorrect wording on my part.
Edge gave Hellblade 1 a 4/10 too. What exactly are you talking about? Have I missed something?

JackMcGunns

Edge gave Hellblade 1 a 4/10 too. What exactly are you talking about? Have I missed something?

I wasn't talking about Edge magazine, I already said they were at least consistant. Gamecritics gave HB1 a 9.5, praised it for bringing mental health to light and the reviewer mentioned how much he loves Ninja Theory games, then proceeded to give HB2 a 4.0.

JackMcGunns

My fuck, you're insufferable.

No, YOU!
Blaming Spider-Man GIF

I made a claim, showed you a reviewer that gave HB1 a 9.5, then the sequel a 4.0 and specifically mentions the Microsoft acquisition in the review. There was influence there, it's undeniable. If you disagree, you can articulate that rather than just calling out persecution complex which is a cheap way of invalidating someones claim.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I wasn't talking about Edge magazine, I already said they were at least consistant. Gamecritics gave HB1 a 9.5, praised it for bringing mental health to light and the reviewer mentioned how much he loves Ninja Theory games, then proceeded to give HB2 a 4.0.
Imagine what he'd have given HB2 if he didn't like Ninja Theory
DxRIKSZ.png

Seeing screenshots of Ghost in colour is jarring.

JackMcGunns

This magazine is dumb as hell. I subscribed for a year more recently and it was useless.

They at least remained consistant since they gave the original a 4.0 as well. However they did give Redfall a 6.0, WTF? now that's crazy, Redfall is not even worth the toilet paper needed to clean it off my butt after pooping it.

tommib

It’s not baby. Not with the great artwork they always have access to and interviews with smaller devs. I know you don’t like them for being aligned with the political correct paradigm but they’re the best at getting exclusive look at behind the scenes stuff.

And look, they know GT7 is the best PlayStation game released this generation. We have to give them that. 😘

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s not baby. Not with the great artwork they always have access to and interviews with smaller devs. I know you don’t like them for being aligned with the political correct paradigm but they’re the best at getting exclusive look at behind the scenes stuff.

And look, they know GT7 is the best PlayStation game released this generation. We have to give them that. 😘
Where's their Hogwarts interviews?

Crayon

They at least remained consistant since they gave the original a 4.0 as well. However they did give Redfall a 6.0, WTF? now that's crazy, Redfall is not even worth the toilet paper needed to clean it off my butt after pooping it.

I didn't mind the review hijinks. I knew that going in. It was the subjects and writing of the articles. And every other one couldn't help but mention workplace abuse, crunch, etc. That's part of the industry and fair game to cover but I was rolling my eyes.

Plus the print is unbelievably tiny!! >:0

KrisB

I swear the more I think about HB2 the worse I think it was. I felt like it was a solid 6/10 right after beating it.
Now I think I agree with Edge . . .
Finished it last night and I think I could only give it a 5 or 6 being generous.
The graphics and animation are amazing but everything else is incredibly average.

- Tedious and repetitive puzzles
- Combat felt very disconnected. There's times in the battle where it'll keep taking control away from the player and this happens many times in general gameplay too where you'll have no idea if you're actually supposed to be doing anything or if it's a cutscene
- The constant voices with the annoying whispering and repeating things like a broken record. I played the first few hours with a headset like everyone recommends but the voices are so frustrating.

Last edited:
Finished it last night and I think I could only give it a 5 or 6 being generous.
The graphics and animation are amazing but everything else is incredibly average.

- Tedious and repetitive puzzles
- Combat felt very disconnected. There's times in the battle where it'll keep taking control away from the player and this happens many times in general gameplay too where you'll have no idea if you're actually supposed to be doing anything or if it's a cutscene
- The constant voices with the annoying whispering and repeating things like a broken record. I played the first few hours with a headset like everyone recommends but the voices are so frustrating.
Yea, with the combat I think they were just going for your inputs triggering their captured animation sequences. It's almost like QTEs but without showing you the prompts to press on the screen.
Like they wanted to make the combat look good and the animations to stay smooth instead of having any player agency. It's off-putting and makes it not feel like a real game.

Orbital2060

Youre not going to get fair reviews of Xbox games from Edge magazine, or any other outlet owned by Future plc (fx PCGamer). Theyve gone full retard on Microsofts ass, and are completely honest about it.

qMKoY6i.jpeg

The only reason Edge and PCGamer review Xbox games is to make fun of them.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Youre not going to get fair reviews of Xbox games from Edge magazine, or any other outlet owned by Future plc (fx PCGamer). Theyve gone full retard on Microsofts ass, and are completely honest about it.

qMKoY6i.jpeg

The only reason Edge and PCGamer review Xbox games is to make fun of them.
What’s not fair about their Hellblade review? Why did they give the original the same score, when Ninja Theory wasn’t owned by them, if it were all about sticking to Microsoft/Xbox?

SirTerry-T

So this kiddy kitty trash is a 7

little-kitty-big-city-scaled.jpg

Press Y to drop bread!

while this cinematic masterpiece, with intense combat, the best visuals of all time, that dared to try something different, gets a 4.

8be235b257e137e2bbd6ec83db59ac15.gif

Irrelevant, hipster magazine.
Edge hasn't been relevant since they gave Gunstar Heroes a 6.

Orbital2060

What’s not fair about their Hellblade review? Why did they give the original the same score, when Ninja Theory wasn’t owned by them, if it were all about sticking to Microsoft/Xbox?
I wasnt even thinking about Hellblade 2, because I think their argument for a 4/10 makes sense, as it did for the first game. I wasnt too hot on the first game because of the same issue, but with HB2 I kind of let it be what it is and enjoy the ride.

The quote was posted in this issue, though. At this point, I think the magazine should rather opt out of reviewing Xbox games. Instead of committing to the console wars on an editorial level.

Chronos24

Pretty amazed at how split Hellblade II is with everyone. Either love it or hate it no in between. I'm in the "love it" club but that's just me.

Top Bottom