• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Aomber

Heard this one the other day and I don't think it's been posted here, not new but it's fun :D

Kaz James & Junior Sanchez Feat Vick Knightly - Underground Police
I agree about the length of the album as a whole, but I don't think cutting down the intros or outros are the solution. I don't get the impression that these tracks are designed for DJ mixes. I think he uses those intros to build the specifically build the song up.
There are other reasons why it's too long I just meant that was one reason. Just removing them wouldn't be the solution, but writing the songs around the fact that they'd have shorter intros and outros might have been. There are ways the songs could have connected with each other a little better in the album context, if that makes sense.

It might have not been his intention to be consciously for DJ mixing I just mean that's what it feels like when I listen to it, but it's true it's possible he could have done it to build up the tracks. I guess I just get that impression because it's something done with dance music very often in general that sometimes it becomes "habit", not just with Prydz. Bear in mind he's been releasing tracks in the DJ format for a very long time prior to Opus without considering the album format, also there are many tracks in here that were released as individual tracks prior to the album.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Prydz had an AMA yesterday and said that his EPIC 4.0 shows will only be 2-hour sets, unlike the 3-hour set he played at EPIC 3.0 and the incredible 4-hour set he played at EPIC 1.0 in NYC.

That's unfortunate, and somewhat dulls my hype for the show. Luckily I'm going to two of his shows back-to-back, but I feel like Prydz needs at least 3-4 hours to get his sets going and let his songs breathe.

Ashhong

Heard this one the other day and I don't think it's been posted here, not new but it's fun :D

Kaz James & Junior Sanchez Feat Vick Knightly - Underground Police

There are other reasons why it's too long I just meant that was one reason. Just removing them wouldn't be the solution, but writing the songs around the fact that they'd have shorter intros and outros might have been. There are ways the songs could have connected with each other a little better in the album context, if that makes sense.

It might have not been his intention to be consciously for DJ mixing I just mean that's what it feels like when I listen to it, but it's true it's possible he could have done it to build up the tracks. I guess I just get that impression because it's something done with dance music very often in general that sometimes it becomes "habit", not just with Prydz. Bear in mind he's been releasing tracks in the DJ format for a very long time prior to Opus without considering the album format, also there are many tracks in here that were released as individual tracks prior to the album.

I just meant that his songs on the album are not the extended mixes that producers put out for DJs. There's a specific structure those follow and this isn't it. There's also no outro

Prydz had an AMA yesterday and said that his EPIC 4.0 shows will only be 2-hour sets, unlike the 3-hour set he played at EPIC 3.0 and the incredible 4-hour set he played at EPIC 1.0 in NYC.

That's unfortunate, and somewhat dulls my hype for the show. Luckily I'm going to two of his shows back-to-back, but I feel like Prydz needs at least 3-4 hours to get his sets going and let his songs breathe.

Hm slightly disappointing but I get tired easily so this might be a blessing in disguise lol. It's probably because he's doing fucking after party shows after like every one. He needs time to do both!

Aomber

Nice interview done with Eric Prydz by Zane Lowe. Turns out he wrote the track "Opus" in half an hour, that's awesome.

http://edm.com/articles/2016-02-06/eric-prydz-extended-convo-with-zane-lowe

------------

Just listened to the full Rufus Du Sol album. Pretty nice, not much variety here but it's solid nevertheless, if you're into their style you'll probably dig this

Here's the most popular track from their album (it's more or less a lot of this kinda thing) --> RÜFÜS - You Were Right

rufus-du-sol-bloom.jpg

I just meant that his songs on the album are not the extended mixes that producers put out for DJs. There's a specific structure those follow and this isn't it. There's also no outro
But there are many tracks that do follow that structure.

Here's the original Liberate: Liberate - Eric Prydz

Here's the Liberate on Opus (sorry for Spotify link, couldn't find it outside): Liberate - Eric Prydz (album version)

The second one has an additional minute intro. There's a short drum outro at the end of the original which is extended even further in the second one.

You see what I'm getting at? Why is there a longer drum beat? I don't find the Opus version adding anything to the song other than just additional length. I can't think of another reason why that would be there other than "well it just mixes smoothly into a DJ set". Generate is another great example because there's a much shorter radio edit of that (which is arguably TOO short :p but you get my point), but there's a lot of other tracks I could name that do something similar. Obviously not the whole album and there are several exceptions, but yeah.

DJ88

Man I can't wait to listen to that Eric Prydz album later. Been waiting for it's release for a while now.

I also kind of just launched my own thing, my first mix under my DJ alias and pages which I'll be uploading mixes to twice a month. Will always be a collection of tracks I'm really liking from the last 2-3 weeks so always the newest stuff and hopefully nothing you've heard before.

Hope you guys don't mind me sharing the link here. I'd love to get some feedback. If you like Techno, Tech House, or anything in between I think you'll enjoy.

https://www.mixcloud.com/ComplexSolution/shatter/
feb1agosro.jpg

Tracklist:
1. Intergalactic Summer (Kastis Torrau Remix) - Stas Drive
2. Volta - Matthias Tanzmann, Daniel Stefanik
3. We Feel - Ben Remember
4. Crazy Claves - Dani Sbert
5. Trece - Kenny Brian
6. Coulees (Blue Version) - Summer (Brendon Collins), Swyft
7. Move a Little Closer - Nicole Moudaber
8. Colante (Nick Devon Remix) - Innellea
9. Kitana (Original Mix) - Andres Blows
10. Submission (Truncate Rework) - Truncate & Jimmy
11. Time For Change (Lonya Remix) - Cristoph
12. Quetzalcoatl (Petter B Remix ) - Cari Lekebusch

L1NETT

stephan bodzin's essential mix holy moly

this will take some topping

https://www.mixcloud.com/corenewsuploads/stephan-bodzin-essential-mix-2016-02-06/

Luna Semara – Mustafa [Herzblut Recordings]
Alex Niggemann – Convection [Aeon]
Gardens Of God – Ghost [White Label]
MA – Untitled [White Label]
Pan-Pot – Sleepless (Stephan Bodzin Remix) [Second State]
Patrice Bäumel – This World [Correspondant]
Hunter/Game – The Path [Kompakt]
Rodriguez Jr. – Mistral (Stephan Bodzin Remix) [Systematic]
DJ Tennis – Chirality [Life & Death]
Stephan Bodzin – Untitled [White Label]
Shadow Movement – Lies [D.O.C.]
Locked Groove – Scherzo [Locked Groove Records]
Stephan Bodzin – Powers of Ten [Herzblut Recordings]
Stephan Bodzin – Singularity (Fur Coat Remix) [Herzblut Recordings]
Shall Ocin – Iso [Ellum]
Stephan Bodzin – Wir [Herzblut Recordings]
Luna Semara – Yul Brynner [White Label]
Victor Ruiz – Soul Seek [Sprout]
Marc Romboy – Simi (Agents of Time Remix) [Systematic Recordings]
Stephan Bodzin – Atlas (Adriatique Remix) [Systematic Recordings]
Stephan Bodzin – Outro [White Label]

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Saw Fred Falke at a night club in SF last night (got in free). Man, fun time as always with this guy. This new place has Funktion-One speakers too, what an amazing sound system. Music sounds really crisp without that overbearing treble that you usually get in clubs.

mr stroke

Went Super City 50 in SF this weekend and while Diplo was great(tiny bit of hardstyle, hits, and lots of bass heavy trap bangers)

Holly shit was every other DJ absolute trash. The Chainsmokers played their hits mixed with the current top 10 Beatport bigroom tracks, Showtek played I dunno WTF form of shit music, then got on the stage and screamed into the mic over every song, Alesso started strong then continued to play every cheese hit off his last album. This is all happening while every 18 year old from the Bay Area sat in an E-puddle on the main floor LOL.

Fuck me at the current state of Mainstage EDM stuff, yuck :\

Ashhong

But there are many tracks that do follow that structure.

Here's the original Liberate: Liberate - Eric Prydz

Here's the Liberate on Opus (sorry for Spotify link, couldn't find it outside): Liberate - Eric Prydz (album version)

The second one has an additional minute intro. There's a short drum outro at the end of the original which is extended even further in the second one.

You see what I'm getting at? Why is there a longer drum beat? I don't find the Opus version adding anything to the song other than just additional length. I can't think of another reason why that would be there other than "well it just mixes smoothly into a DJ set". Generate is another great example because there's a much shorter radio edit of that (which is arguably TOO short :p but you get my point), but there's a lot of other tracks I could name that do something similar. Obviously not the whole album and there are several exceptions, but yeah.

Gonna have to agree to disagree I guess. For example on Liberate, his intro is more layered than a normal extended mix. But even disregarding that, I see it more of a musical journey. I don't really think his songs fit a radio edit. There needs to be that long buildup that these album cuts provide. But yea, we just choose to interpret it differently =P

Aomber

Gonna have to agree to disagree I guess. For example on Liberate, his intro is more layered than a normal extended mix.
I mean I just revisited a bunch of extended mixes and they were all the same as Liberate in style and substance, I wouldn't say that if I didn't know what an extended mix sounds like, but agree to disagree I guess. The original Liberate as an example obviously isn't a "radio edit" because it's over 5 minutes, I didn't mean he should make radio length songs, I just meant there could have been more room for musical content and flow in the album context.

Aomber

Wow. I just lead a discussion for this french discussion elective I'm taking this semester, it's super lighthearted so was taking suggestions if anyone knew of any good french songs, and one person suggested Touch by Daft Punk. You forget that a lot of people don't understand good music that breaks the standard pop format. We didn't get much past the intro of this song because I could tell people were just getting impatient with it. I understand the intro is a little odd perhaps but I hadn't heard the song for a long time and was getting really into. All of a sudden the whole class break into laughter all of a sudden like "wtf is this?"

It totally threw me off, I mean the overall sound design and quality of writing in that song is absolutely outstanding, a true modern masterpiece, it's unfortunate that a lot of people can't understand that.

mr stroke

Got through Prydz's Opus and its 50/50 for me. Some really great tracks-Black Dyce, Som Sas, Generate, and Collider are really really good(so many good Synths in there) While some of the other tracks are boring-Last Dragon and Opus, meh :\

Overall I am sure this album will be one of my top played albums of 16.

The stuff I'm listening to, Tritonal and The Chainsmokers..... They're trying really hard to push Trap. Nice Hair with The Chainsmokers just had a bunch of Trap songs in the beginning to the middle and more Electronic songs near the end.

I don't know about the rest of the EDM world right now but I hope other DJs aren't pushing or forcing Trap this year. Last year was Tropical House right?

I've notice and increasing number of kids into trap i didn't know where it came from but maybe there it is.

Yea a lot of tropical house last year and deep house too. I felt like trap was pushed a few years ago. I don't know it's only February not sure if this is a trend or just a coincidence.

Yea, wasn't Trap being pushed just a few years ago? Kind of weird for Trap to make a resurgence again.

The younger crowd just wants to get turnt so of course they would turn to Trap more. But the younger crowd can just turn to Big Room tho. Since most of Big Room consists of 'dat drop tho' and huge bass sounds. But Big Room still has that Electronic sound that many newer people don't necessarily like to listen to compared to Trap.

It could just be a monthly thing, a coincidence, or this years trend.

I'm hoping it's just a coincidence.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Got through Prydz's Opus and its 50/50 for me. Some really great tracks-Black Dyce, Som Sas, Generate, and Collider are really really good(so many good Synths in there) While some of the other tracks are boring-Last Dragon and Opus, meh :

Overall I am sure this album will be one of my top played albums of 16.

Whaaaat? Opus, boring?

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
So EDM GAF, I have a bit of a random question for you. I was streaming an electronic album a few weeks back and all I remember was that it had a red car walking though traffic. I was too lazy to add it to my collection at the time but now it's just driving me crazy. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I think it may be a fairly new album.

Aomber

Ok, I gotta admit, I am really salty about the ASOT stage on Sunday at Ultra and the fact that I'm not gonna be there.

https://ultramusicfestival.com/lineup/

Are you guys seeing this? When my buddy sent it to me I literally laughed out loud and said it was so fake. Well turns out I was terribly wrong, not to mention the already incredible lineup they have going for the whole festival.

Well played Ultra. Bear in mind too this is the ASOT stage meaning it's Armin's more trancey set not the type he plays on mainstage (he's also doing one on mainstage on Friday)

e9wB9Vg.png

Anth0ny

Ok, I gotta admit, I am really salty about the ASOT stage on Sunday at Ultra and the fact that I'm not gonna be there.

https://ultramusicfestival.com/lineup/

Are you guys seeing this? When my buddy sent it to me I literally laughed out loud and said it was so fake. Well turns out I was terribly wrong, not to mention the already incredible lineup they have going for the whole festival.

Well played Ultra. Bear in mind too this is the ASOT stage meaning it's Armin's more trancey set not the type he plays on mainstage (he's also doing one on mainstage on Friday)

e9wB9Vg.png

fuck me

asot 750 in toronto was one of the best live events I ever attended. i'd kill to go to ultra this year, but literally no one I know is down to go :(

Jarnet87

Prydz played on the ASOT stage at Ultra least year, real good set.

Last year's ASOT on Sunday was kray:

8:30 p.m. Armin van Buuren
7:00 p.m. Eric Prydz
5:45 p.m. Andrew Bayer
4:30 p.m. Markus Schulz.

They took me to Trance heaven. There is still one name blurred out on the setlist, hope it's Andrew Bayer, he absolutely killed it at Ultra.

Aomber

Okay this made me lol

C5NTrCw.png

Prydz played on the ASOT stage at Ultra least year, real good set.

Last year's ASOT on Sunday was kray:

8:30 p.m. Armin van Buuren
7:00 p.m. Eric Prydz
5:45 p.m. Andrew Bayer
4:30 p.m. Markus Schulz.

They took me to Trance heaven. There is still one name blurred out on the setlist, hope it's Andrew Bayer, he absolutely killed it at Ultra.

I remember those sets, very good indeed. Hoping they have a good stream this year nevertheless. Ultra is killing it so far this year, now all they have to do is offer multi stage viewing and I'd be a very happy camper.

Ashhong

Okay this made me lol

C5NTrCw.png

I remember those sets, very good indeed. Hoping they have a good stream this year nevertheless. Ultra is killing it so far this year, now all they have to do is offer multi stage viewing and I'd be a very happy camper.

lmao that's hilarious

Very iffy on Deadmau5 at ASOT, although those tracks posted earlier are damn good. I love prydz but him at ASOT just didn't make much sense. He should retitle the stage to Armin and Friends instead

Aomber

lmao that's hilarious

Very iffy on Deadmau5 at ASOT, although those tracks posted earlier are damn good. I love prydz but him at ASOT just didn't make much sense. He should retitle the stage to Armin and Friends instead

I kinda agree, that's why when my friend sent it to me I laughed and said it was fake, thought it was an independent ASOT not the one at Ultra. There's no way that'd be a real lineup at a regular ASOT event.

Top Bottom