• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Ixian

lol, I got into Kaskade's Spotify party on Friday as well. Doing Above and Beyond tomorrow night, Kaskade's thing on Friday and then the entirety of Ultra. /dead

I'm going to my first Ultra this year as well. :D Girlfriend and I are hopping on an overnight fly there tonight, in fact. Pretty hype for it, minus the predicted rainfall. :( Then we get a short time to recover before Coachella weekend 1.

Dude it always rains during Ultra weekend. It's expected at this point

Ixian

Dude it always rains during Ultra weekend. It's expected at this point
I live in SoCal so I'm spoiled by almost always sunny weather. :p I lived in Seattle for nine years prior to moving here so I'm used to the rain I guess; either way we've got our ponchos ready to go.

I'm going to assume that after Ultra all the big main stage DJs new tracks are going to start appearing on music sites.

Whaaaaa, no way! /s

I actually look forward to what genre/sub-genre's all the mainstage DJs try to push this year. Just to hear new people go, "breh I loved how blah blah blah made this or that famous now. Without them, this or that would have never existed."

Whaaaaa, no way! /s

I actually look forward to what genre/sub-genre's all the mainstage DJs try to push this year. Just to hear new people go, "breh I loved how blah blah blah made this or that famous now. Without them, this or that would have never existed."

I say that mostly because Ultra seems like the E3 of music. At least it was last year.

My impression of the industry is mostly that the older guys like Tiesto effectively steward new producers through the labels, do the collaborations to stay relevant and build up the new talent into their own thing in an attempt to create a never ending money machine.

Barely anything huge has been released in the last 2-3 months so it does seem like there is a music horde to be released.

Is Ultra getting streamed on Twitch again this year? I mean if it is usually they would have said something by now. And if not, then bummer because Ultra + Twitch chat was a sight to behold

Nah, I gotchu Warm Machine. Was just messing with ya.

Western, you should make the Ultra OT. I don't think we have any other choices tbh.

Is Ultra getting streamed on Twitch again this year? I mean if it is usually they would have said something by now. And if not, then bummer because Ultra + Twitch chat was a sight to behold

I think they are. If not, I have the app where TW streamed their event.

Nah, I gotchu Warm Machine. Was just messing with ya.

Western, you should make the Ultra OT. I don't think we have any other choices tbh.

I think they are. If not, I have the app where TW streamed their event.

I'll do it but I was waiting for a stream schedule to be posted first. I'll do it when i get home .

According to this there will be a twitch stream via the official Ultra twitch channel! Get hyped boys and girls! Time to get your Sandstorm ready lol.

Western, there is this that a user at reddit made. But I was reading on reddit that Ultra doesn't usually put their streaming schedule up until the last few minutes.

According to this there will be a twitch stream via the official Ultra twitch channel! Get hyped boys and girls! Time to get your Sandstorm ready lol.

Western, there is this that a user at reddit made. But I was reading on reddit that Ultra doesn't usually put their streaming schedule up until the last few minutes.

Yea i saw that already and the reddit post you're talking about.

Talonz

Day 1 Ultra: https://www.twitch.tv/ultra

panel-83099586-image-7054acabe57ddad3-320.jpeg

Aomber

Sup edmgaf bout to board my plane back to Boston from Vegas, had a great week but damn I've been really sick the last few days unfortunately :( it's been on and off so thankfully I was able to do stuff still but it sucked so hard dealing with fevers, colds etc.

Looking forward to watching ultra live tomorrow and Sunday!

Oh buddha, I just finished listening to deadmau5' awesome set but he is such a troll with the ending segment lol.

"A paycheck's a paycheck right?!"

Dead

Sai-kun

Banned
wow, baauer's new album, Aa, is super legit, and goes the fuck off. this shit will bang at festivals. i only hope he's actually become a good DJ in the time since I last saw him

My favorite track is Make It Bang

Aomber

Hi guys - wanted to share something a little personal with you all just to show my appreciation and how this place has directly affected my real life.

Because I follow music so closely and I talk about it a lot on here it's given me a lot of knowledge and interest on all things related to it, whether that be the music itself or the industry and business aspects. I just wrote my final ethics paper for my bachelor of science in info management & tech before spring break, half the paper was about the issue of piracy and the other half was about soundcloud and its controlling issues. It's easily the most important paper I've ever had to write, and I've never been the greatest student, but I got a 98.8%.

Thanks for giving me a great place to talk about this stuff =)

Hi guys - wanted to share something a little personal with you all just to show my appreciation and how this place has directly affected my real life.

Because I follow music so closely and I talk about it a lot on here it's given me a lot of knowledge and interest on all things related to it, whether that be the music itself or the industry and business aspects. I just wrote my final ethics paper for my bachelor of science in info management & tech before spring break, half the paper was about the issue of piracy and the other half was about soundcloud and its controlling issues. It's easily the most important paper I've ever had to write, and I've never been the greatest student, but I got a 98.8%.

Thanks for giving me a great place to talk about this stuff =)

Great! That's awesome to hear Aomber.

L1NETT

CeKWq4FWoAEdWui.jpg

yessssss

really wasn't a fan of his second album, hope this is more akin to his debut which so supa dupa fresh

fewer ill fitting vocal guests, more instrumental variation and im golden

here it is

DJ88

This was the first time I didn't go to Ultra in a few years, but I did go to some pretty amazing events during Miami Music Week.
I has such a blast and I hope that anyone else that was in town for the week can say the same. It's seriously like christmas for EDM fans.

Wanted to share my latest mix on here. This one's got a few tracks that I heard through out the week, lots of Tech House, and some nice melodic stuff near the end.
If you give it a listen I hope you like it, and any feedback is always super appreciated!

https://www.mixcloud.com/ComplexSolution/satisfaction/
march1n9yst.jpg

Tracklist
Rafa Barrios - Just Do It (Miami Edit)
George Privatti, Dantiez Saunderson - Pio (Original Mix)
Supernova - U'r so Hot (Original Mix)
Gui Boratto, Renato Ratier - Tesla (Original Mix)
DJ Tonio - King (Pig&Dan Remix)
Ben Champell - Energy (DJ PP Remix)
Cristoph - Genesis (Original Mix)
GoldFFinch - Are We Here (Original Mix)
Maxdal - Living Yourself (Marck D & Johan Dresser Remix)
Metodi Hristov - My Black Is Not Your Black (Original Mix)
Christian Smith, Wehbba - Tungsten (Original Mix)
Aluria, Squares - Hierarchy Tree (Cetera Remix)

Oxn

Anyone know about any good events coming up soon in April May or June in NYC?

Im getting antsy.

Also what are some good venues? I know about Terminal 5, and I know a few others but hear bad things. PachaNYC closed down, and Webster Hall is a dump.

HELP!!!!!

Aomber

Im getting antsy.

Also what are some good venues? I know about Terminal 5, and I know a few others but hear bad things. PachaNYC closed down, and Webster Hall is a dump.

HELP!!!!!
Off the top of my head Output I've heard is one of the best. Don't know about events though, check out their website, there's also some festivals coming up in those months.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Im getting antsy.

HELP!!!!!

Output, Verboten, Cielo are solid venues. It's been over a year since I left NYC so don't know if there's any hot new clubs, but those three are pure class.

Sai-kun

Banned
God I fucking love Output. They always have really fucking good DJs playing. I'd go even if you don't really know who the person is.

http://outputclub.com/

Every time I visit NYC I make it a point to go to a show at Output. I've never had a bad time, especially in the spring and summer. They open up the rooftop and it's fucking beautiful out there, day or night.

Sai-kun

Banned
Let's seeeee...

Sasha on April 8, Gareth Emery on April 13, Amine Edge & Dance on April 14, John Digweed on April 15, Dirtyphonics on April 20, Moon Boots on April 22, Adam Beyer on May 28,

Lotsa good stuff :p It's also still only the end of March, so stuff for May and June is still in the process of getting booked/filled in. As they get closer the calendar will probably fill up more.

Aomber

Okay, just listened to Self Assemble by Mat Zo.

So... I loved the first half up until track 7, but I gotta say for ME personally I wasn't a big fan of the second half. I love experimental electronic music but the second half just feels so disconnected from the first half, but not in a way that it feels like it ties together. Yes, I love it when an artist is different and diverse and dips their toes in lots of different things, but in the album context you have to find a way to do that that WORKS, and I don't think the way he did it going from nu disco to brostep felt right.

Second of all, while I thought the first half was the stronger half, I thought that the transitional tracks were pretty out of place. For example the album was introduced with an eery minor tone that was quickly succeeded with some joyous melodic chords. If you take Damage Control that initial transition felt much more natural and in place while setting a very similar tone. That happens several times throughout the first 6 tracks and I almost feel like while they're well produced, it'd be better to just not have them at all than throw off the tone.

It sucks because there were so many tracks in the second half too that were like ALMOST there for me but I just didn't like them in the end. Off the top of my head, Soul Food and Lights Out were so close but no cigar, and as fairly close examples, Pyramid Scheme and Lucid Dreams were much more enjoyable. On that note I thought Damage Control as an album was much more successful. It had a clear theme while being distinct and diverse and those little transitional tracks had a much more welcome space.

I'm sorry for all the comparisons to his last album but there were a lot of thematically similar aspects. I just felt like that did it so much better and he tried to get TOO crazy with Self Assemble, and that's so often a mistake that's made with the sophomore slump.

Favorite tracks were The Enemy and Killing Time

Top Bottom