• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

cj_iwakura

Heard a Kaskade/Deadmau5 track on Area that I was going crazy over than I find out it's eight years old, WTF. (Move For Me)

Aomber

Popping the Drop: A Timeline of How EDM’s Bubble Burst

I could write a novel about this article and it amazes me how incompetent the writer of a major publication like Pitchfork is and has no clue about the EDM scene.

This is complete bullshit, it's like they don't have a basic understanding of trends in music. I could easily pull up some Google stats and show several artists who are trending now more than ever on Google (look up Jack U, Flume, Kygo and DJ Snake as examples). Not to mention they only focused on SFX's poor business decisions and management, including Tomorrowworld and EZoo's events, while conveniently leaving out every other EDM event organization. My favorite part was "Miami Music Week was dead" when Ultra sold out faster than any year in recent memory.

You could do this about lots of genres. I can write an article about tons of people getting hospitalized or arrested at a Keith Urban concert near me and proclaim as a result that Country is dead. As much as I don't like country, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

They should really stay out of subjects like this and stick to writing about indie music.

mr stroke

Popping the Drop: A Timeline of How EDM’s Bubble Burst

I could write a novel about this article and it amazes me how incompetent the writer of a major publication like Pitchfork is and has no clue about the EDM scene.

This is complete bullshit, it's like they don't have a basic understanding of trends in music. I could easily pull up some Google stats and show several artists who are trending now more than ever on Google (look up Jack U, Flume, Kygo and DJ Snake as examples). Not to mention they only focused on SFX's poor business decisions and management, including Tomorrowworld and EZoo's events, while conveniently leaving out every other EDM event organization. My favorite part was "Miami Music Week was dead" when Ultra sold out faster than any year in recent memory.

You could do this about lots of genres. I can write an article about tons of people getting hospitalized or arrested at a Keith Urban concert near me and proclaim as a result that Country is dead. As much as I don't like country, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

They should really stay out of subjects like this and stick to writing about indie music.

Odd article, it just lists a bunch of bad incidents that have happened over the last few years LOL

(Even though I do agree we have reached the "peak of EDM", it will continue to trend downward as the young kids only going for the Molly will burn out.)

chris121580

Pitchfork has been awful for a few years now. It's a shame because I used to enjoy reading their reviews...now they're all just a bunch of try hards begging for attention

Aomber

Odd article, it just lists a bunch of bad incidents that have happened over the last few years LOL

(Even though I do agree we have reached the "peak of EDM", it will continue to trend downward as the young kids only going for the Molly will burn out.)
Yeah it's hard to imagine it can get any bigger at this point BUT I think it will healthily sustain itself in the future, and what becomes mainstream will evolve. I think that's the point these guys miss, and a lot of people in general who are always talking about the "EDM Bubble". Damn though this article was awful

Aomber

Heard about stereo this morning, no official post but I wouldn't be surprised at all. HARD being 18+ is expected because LA made it the law that EDM festivals have to have that. Actually kinda surprised it's not 21+ because HARD DOTD went that way.

Pig & Dan essential mix this Saturday. Added one of their tracks to my techno playlist recently that is topping Beatport's Techno right now

Pig & Dan - Growler

Also here's a mix from some of the mau5trap artists, half Matt Lange half ATTLAS

ATTLAS and MATT LANGE in The Lab LA

Lastly Creamfields 2016 Lineup announced

453_10156740069165032_3904238921977005844_n.jpg

I'm not really digging this Future Bass or Future trend. It is a unique sound but I don't like it. Really dislike this bandwagonning off of each other. Tritonal, The Chainsmokers, Zedd, W&W, Martin Garrix, etc.

What do you folks think of this trend? I can admit that it is better than the Tropical and Deep House trend of last year.

For the big roomish house/prog house fans, Vicetone just released their EP titled 'Aurora'

It's decent. But I am really, really missing their older sound that had more prog roots. Their tracks with Kat really showcased how great their music making abilities were but this EP is just decent. Nothing stands out that much. Green Eyes and perhaps Siren?

Aomber

I'm not really digging this Future Bass or Future trend. It is a unique sound but I don't like it. Really dislike this bandwagonning off of each other. Tritonal, The Chainsmokers, Zedd, W&W, Martin Garrix, etc.

What do you folks think of this trend? I can admit that it is better than the Tropical and Deep House trend of last year.
I'm glad someone posted about this because I almost asked this same question a while ago.

I think the sound is really influenced from what Flume made popular. I'll first say I totally understand taking influence from artists, nothing is totally unique. I took a bit of influence from that sound in one of my recent songs, no shame in admitting that, but for me I took a different direction and inspirations to ultimately create something with a bit more personality and identity, a different format, so on.

What I really don't like about "future bass" and these types of trends is when artists take an idea and "EDMify" it. Best way I can explain this is by giving an example.

Disclosure - You & Me (Flume Remix)

Halsey - Colors (Audien Remix)

Here's my thing about the latter song and I can confidently say this about future bass and some of these popular EDM trends that come and go. They've taken the idea from the first song, but giving it the EDM sound. The problem with so much popular EDM is that it's functional, and they make the point of the song the drop. Let's be honest the "new" sound is the drop, everything else surrounding it is as generic as it gets. In fact I'd go as far as saying you almost could just slow the song down to 128 bpm and boom you have a pop progressive house song. But another observation to make, if you compare the two songs, is that the Audien remix has a very obvious snare build up - the Flume song skips that in favor of musical content.

The Flume remix is a piece of art. The Audien remix is taking that idea and making it an EDM banger. That's true for so many future bass songs and I guess my problem with it is that it feels easy.

Aomber

I have no idea what future bass is.

You're probably better off :D haha

Also wowowow I'm supposed to be getting a package today of something very cool I'll post pics of in here but I'm concerned it's not even gonna arrive in time since it was already delayed several days. It is out for delivery though so hopefully there's no problems.

Good point Aomber. I listened to both songs back to back and I can totally see and hear what you are talking about. They made Future Bass "EDM" aka about the drop. There's nothing in the beginning that is remotely creative and that applies to the end too. It all rides until that drop and the middle. It seems like there is no creativity right now with these trends and I can kind of see why many people rag on EDM and Electronic right now.

I will only listen to Future Bass if it happens to be San Holo or Hyper Potions. Those three make incredible Future Bass and the former also makes great Trap music.

Future sucks
Deep house sucks
Tropical sucks

The only Deep House track I like to listen to is a remix of 2 On by Tinashe and only because the original remix with Drake is hot fire lol.

I'll give those a listen.

I haven't actively pursued new NEW music lately. Just put on shuffle on Pandora. Been hearing alot of crazy Hardstyle tracks from Max Enforcer, Hard Driver, etc. Other than that, I've been listening to Tritonal's and The Chainsmoker's podcasts. I've fallen to my trap of listening only to people I know and not listening to other artists or producers.

Nothing is grabbing my attention lately besides Hardstyle or Hard Dance hah.

Aomber

Can't tell you guys how many years I've been wanting one of these. Thought I would share :)

Good point Aomber. I listened to both songs back to back and I can totally see and hear what you are talking about. They made Future Bass "EDM" aka about the drop. There's nothing in the beginning that is remotely creative and that applies to the end too. It all rides until that drop and the middle. It seems like there is no creativity right now with these trends and I can kind of see why many people rag on EDM and Electronic right now.

I will only listen to Future Bass if it happens to be San Holo or Hyper Potions. Those three make incredible Future Bass and the former also makes great Trap music.

Yeah that's how I feel. I like my good share of popular EDM but I totally understand why people crap on it. The problem with those people is they also hate on the stuff that's actually good because they don't get it, popular or not. It sucks because there's always going to be good music and not so good music no matter what genre it is, just wish people would be more open minded.

I gotta say though I got really tired of a lot (definitely not all, but a lot) of music that follows that kind of break-drop-break-drop format. There's nothing wrong with the format but so many guys make songs like they took a recipe out of a cookbook and followed it to a fine point. Like, there's so many sonic possibilities and variety – I'm all for getting inspired by music but I don't get it when they can't mix their own cocktails in the process. I may have said this before but I feel like it should be re-iterated on the subject of future bass and trends.

EDIT: The one group I think are pretty good right now who are making future bass is Grey. I'm not really a big fan of Zedd's Candyman (they worked on that) and they're not always superbly original but they have a couple gems, most notably this. I love the infected mushroom vibe. Also I haven't checked out the artists you mentioned I may have to do that!

Kaskade - Disarm You ft. Ilsey (Grey Remix)

Oxn

Can't tell you guys how many years I've been wanting one of these. Thought I would share :)

Yeah that's how I feel. I like my good share of popular EDM but I totally understand why people crap on it. The problem with those people is they also hate on the stuff that's actually good because they don't get it, popular or not. It sucks because there's always going to be good music and not so good music no matter what genre it is, just wish people would be more open minded.

I gotta say though I got really tired of a lot (definitely not all, but a lot) of music that follows that kind of break-drop-break-drop format. There's nothing wrong with the format but so many guys make songs like they took a recipe out of a cookbook and followed it to a fine point. Like, there's so many sonic possibilities and variety – I'm all for getting inspired by music but I don't get it when they can't mix their own cocktails in the process. I may have said this before but I feel like it should be re-iterated on the subject of future bass and trends.

EDIT: The one group I think are pretty good right now who are making future bass is Grey. I'm not really a big fan of Zedd's Candyman (they worked on that) and they're not always superbly original but they have a couple gems, most notably this. I love the infected mushroom vibe. Also I haven't checked out the artists you mentioned I may have to do that!

Kaskade - Disarm You ft. Ilsey (Grey Remix)

Can we look forward to any music from you?

Yea, at least put some individuality into your tracks. Try adding in new instruments, a warped vocal, just something.

One thing that sucks about now is that some people listen to just one track and people already are accustomed to that sound. So when they hear something out of the left field, "uh.... this track sucks." Which goes to show that first impressions are really, REALLY important in music. We, as humans, are starting to have a shorter and shorter attention span and memory. Once we hear a certain sound, we settle for that and disregard the same sound from another artist.

It's just the way human beings are right now, sadly. I'm guilty of it too and (not accusing EDM-GAF) and we are too. It's not just EDM but EDM and Electronic Music received an insurgence these past something years and we are seeing it firsthand. It's still new to some people. Same thing happened to other genres of music and it's happening right now.

EDM and Electronic Music is still evolving. We are now in the semi-golden age of modern EDM and Electronic Music ^_^

Aomber

Yea, at least put some individuality into your tracks. Try adding in new instruments, a warped vocal, just something.

One thing that sucks about now is that some people listen to just one track and people already are accustomed to that sound. So when they hear something out of the left field, "uh.... this track sucks." Which goes to show that first impressions are really, REALLY important in music. We, as humans, are starting to have a shorter and shorter attention span and memory. Once we hear a certain sound, we settle for that and disregard the same sound from another artist.

It's just the way human beings are right now, sadly. I'm guilty of it too and (not accusing EDM-GAF) and we are too. It's not just EDM but EDM and Electronic Music received an insurgence these past something years and we are seeing it firsthand. It's still new to some people. Same thing happened to other genres of music and it's happening right now.

EDM and Electronic Music is still evolving. We are now in the semi-golden age of modern EDM and Electronic Music ^_^
Yeah I hear what you're saying, like to be honest with you I wasn't big on Flume when I first heard him (since we're talking about him) but I realize now he's a genius. Always hard when something's a little bit different – I've become a lot more accepting of different music quicker as I've listened to more and more, and more often than not I prefer it.

������

Edit: Holy fuck Imgur, is a "copy image link" option on mobile too much to ask for?
Lmao! I was wondering what the first gif you posted was. That's really exciting though :D been loving some Zhu recently

dvdjamm

CfaD8nyUIAAWG-4.jpg

Deadmau5 @ Home Set - April 07, 2016 [04/07/2016] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bcOvhUM28I

Tracklist (thx +zoel_jimmerman):

1. [00 min] ID - ID
2. [04 min] Ryan Provost - Feel You (Original Stick)
w/ Mark Reeve - Dice
3. [11 min] Pig&Dan - Growler
4. [17 min] ID - ID
w/ deadmau5 - Complications
5. [22 min] ID - ID
6. [25 min] ID - ID
7. [29 min] ID - ID
8. [33 min] Loco & Jam - Titus
9. [36 min] Adam Beyer - Stoneflower
10. [41 min] DJ Borris - Foul Beats
11. [47 min] Maceo Plex - Conjure Floyd
12. [52 min] ID - ID
w/ Maceo Plex - Conjure Floyd
w/ Kenji Kawai - Ghost City
13. [58 min] ANNA - I Am
14. [62 min] ID - ID
15. [66 min] ID - ID
16. [70 min] Enrico Sangiuliano & Secret Cinema - Trrbulence
w/ Dark Beat vocal (teased at 73 min)
17. [75 min] Jaceo - Eigengrau
18. [80 min] Lucy - Beautiful People
w/ deadmau5 - FML (teased)
19. [85 min] ID - ID
20. [90 min] Cari Lekebusch & Joseph Capriati - Missed Flight
21. [96 min] Darmec - Kimberlite

I still find it surreal that deadmau5 is on Twitch hah. It's just so weird for a person of his caliber to be on such a site. I know there have been plenty of other celebrities that have appeared on Twitch but they rarely stick around unlike deadmau5.

How often does he stay home?

cdyhybrid

I still find it surreal that deadmau5 is on Twitch hah. It's just so weird for a person of his caliber to be on such a site. I know there have been plenty of other celebrities that have appeared on Twitch but they rarely stick around unlike deadmau5.

He's a huge nerd, seems pretty fitting. Dude plays a ton of Diablo.

Aomber

Reason he's on Twitch is because he used to use a proprietary streaming service on his website. When he moved homes he didn't have it set up and wanted to do quick streams so he resorted to Twitch, and kept with it since it was much easier.

Deadmau5 @ Home Set - April 07, 2016 [04/07/2016] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bcOvhUM28I

1. [00 min] ID - ID
w/ Mark Reeve - Dice
4. [17 min] ID - ID
5. [22 min] ID - ID
6. [25 min] ID - ID
7. [29 min] ID - ID
12. [52 min] ID - ID
13. [58 min] ANNA - I Am
14. [62 min] ID - ID
15. [66 min] ID - ID
19. [85 min] ID - ID

Thanks for posting this been meaning to catch it!

cdyhybrid

CfaD8nyUIAAWG-4.jpg

1. [00 min] ID - ID
w/ Mark Reeve - Dice
4. [17 min] ID - ID
5. [22 min] ID - ID
6. [25 min] ID - ID
7. [29 min] ID - ID
12. [52 min] ID - ID
13. [58 min] ANNA - I Am
14. [62 min] ID - ID
15. [66 min] ID - ID
19. [85 min] ID - ID

About to check this out. I see some dope techno in here, I'm stoked.

L3E2

Hey EDM gaf,

I've been lurking this thread for a couple months but have never really had anything worthwhile to post so have kept quiet. I haven't been into the edm scene for that long, I'm mostly into hip-hop and rap but over the past 2 years have been going to more festivals and really fell in love with the music and edm scene. I'm really digging a lot of the music you guys have been posting in this thread and you guys have broadened my tastes, and for that I want to say thanks.

With that said, are there any Western Canadians (or anywhere close) here coming to Chasing Summer this year? The lineup was officially released this morning and I'm super excited, especially since I don't have to leave the city to attend.

I'm familiar with the headliners and bigger names on the first 4 lines (& MOTi) but don't know much about anyone else below them, and was hoping I could get some suggestions of songs to listen to from you guys.

Hoping to participate more in this thread and find even more great music. Thanks!

Sai-kun

Banned
seven lions - strangers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfFBP4JQ1jQ

kyau & albert - you got to go (remix of above & beyond) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydy82XWsin8

andrew bayer - bullet catch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW7YFwH4QGE

gabriel & dresden - tracking treasure down - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0BFfeCFsg0 (I have no idea if they would even play this live anymore lmao)

grum - U - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XpYwFKYIec

jauz - feel the volume - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkYq02183fc

party favor and zaxx are pretty alright too. that anjunabeats stage is gonna be killer.

Meet you in front :p

bruh let's say hello. love meetin new people at festivals, especially gaffers!

cdyhybrid

Hey EDM gaf,

I've been lurking this thread for a couple months but have never really had anything worthwhile to post so have kept quiet. I haven't been into the edm scene for that long, I'm mostly into hip-hop and rap but over the past 2 years have been going to more festivals and really fell in love with the music and edm scene. I'm really digging a lot of the music you guys have been posting in this thread and you guys have broadened my tastes, and for that I want to say thanks.

With that said, are there any Western Canadians (or anywhere close) here coming to Chasing Summer this year? The lineup was officially released this morning and I'm super excited, especially since I don't have to leave the city to attend.

I'm familiar with the headliners and bigger names on the first 4 lines (& MOTi) but don't know much about anyone else below them, and was hoping I could get some suggestions of songs to listen to from you guys.

Hoping to participate more in this thread and find even more great music. Thanks!
Listen to Above & Beyond's Group Therapy podcast for a good taste of the Anjunabeats stage. Mostly prog house and trance, although Seven Lions is more melodic dubstep sort of stuff.

Ixian

I'm also going to be at Coachella this weekend; my first one! It's my girlfriend's fourth though so I get to benefit from her camping experience. :D

L3E2

seven lions - strangers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfFBP4JQ1jQ

kyau & albert - you got to go (remix of above & beyond) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydy82XWsin8

andrew bayer - bullet catch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW7YFwH4QGE

gabriel & dresden - tracking treasure down - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0BFfeCFsg0 (I have no idea if they would even play this live anymore lmao)

grum - U - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XpYwFKYIec

jauz - feel the volume - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkYq02183fc

party favor and zaxx are pretty alright too. that anjunabeats stage is gonna be killer.

Cool thanks for the suggestions, I've heard that Jauz track at a bunch of shows but never knew who or what it was.

Listen to Above & Beyond's Group Therapy podcast for a good taste of the Anjunabeats stage. Mostly prog house and trance, although Seven Lions is more melodic dubstep sort of stuff.

I will give it a listen thanks, I do enjoy melodic stuff.

Can anyone explain to me the difference between house and trance? And what does progressive mean? I've asked some friends but they have a hard time explaining it to me. I think that I like trance but unsure if I like house. I do know for a fact that I do not like deep house though, I need drops! Haha

23qwerty

Hey EDM gaf,

hmm, netsky, seven lions, and marshmello kick ass, but I don't know if I'd want to drive 8 hours to see them. zeds dead has lost their way in recent years unfortunately, party favours remix of Dillon Francis is pretty good but I haven't heard anything else from them. garrix, hardwell are whatever but chainsmokers have been doing pretty decent stuff lately weird that they're a headliner though

Aomber

Can anyone explain to me the difference between house and trance? And what does progressive mean? I've asked some friends but they have a hard time explaining it to me. I think that I like trance but unsure if I like house. I do know for a fact that I do not like deep house though, I need drops! Haha
Trance tends to be higher BPM between 130-140 and usually associated with more emotional harmonies

Gaia - Empire Of Hearts (Original Mix)

Mat Zo - Don't Say The T Word

House is a pretty loose term, but basically it's more or less any EDM that's 128 BPM with certain exceptions like Tropical House (think Kygo). Progressive House can mean two things depending who you ask, you have the type that guys like Zedd and Calvin Harris make on one end, with deadmau5 and Eric Prydz as examples on the other end. For the former I prefer saying "Pop progressive house" because it's easy to confuse the two and those first names are clearly more on the Pop end of the spectrum.

Pop prog house:

Zedd - Beautiful Now ft. Jon Bellion

Calvin Harris - Sweet Nothing ft. Florence Welch

Prog house:

Eric Prydz - Liberate

Deadmau5 + Kaskade - I Remember [Vocal Mix] (1080p) || HD

In terms of not liking drops, you'll change your mind eventually if you hang out here long enough hehe :D

23qwerty

I think a big element of progressive house usually is the progressive addition of elements to the song, strobe by deadmau5 is a really good example

mr stroke

Trance tends to be higher BPM between 130-140 and usually associated with more emotional harmonies

Gaia - Empire Of Hearts (Original Mix)

Mat Zo - Don't Say The T Word

House is a pretty loose term, but basically it's more or less any EDM that's 128 BPM with certain exceptions like Tropical House (think Kygo). Progressive House can mean two things depending who you ask, you have the type that guys like Zedd and Calvin Harris make on one end, with deadmau5 and Eric Prydz as examples on the other end. For the former I prefer saying "Pop progressive house" because it's easy to confuse the two and those first names are clearly more on the Pop end of the spectrum.

Pop prog house:

Zedd - Beautiful Now ft. Jon Bellion

Calvin Harris - Sweet Nothing ft. Florence Welch

Prog house:

Eric Prydz - Liberate

Deadmau5 + Kaskade - I Remember [Vocal Mix] (1080p) || HD

Classic(True :p ) Progressive house:

gNVgZH7.jpg

(or pretty much anything on the old Global Underground imprint)

In terms of not liking drops, you'll change your mind eventually if you hang out here long enough hehe :D

fixed

Top Bottom