• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

cdyhybrid

Let's seeeee...

Sasha on April 8, Gareth Emery on April 13, Amine Edge & Dance on April 14, John Digweed on April 15, Dirtyphonics on April 20, Moon Boots on April 22, Adam Beyer on May 28,

Lotsa good stuff :p It's also still only the end of March, so stuff for May and June is still in the process of getting booked/filled in. As they get closer the calendar will probably fill up more.
Good thing I don't live in NY. I'd spend all my paychecks at the club.

Oxn

Let's seeeee...

Sasha on April 8, Gareth Emery on April 13, Amine Edge & Dance on April 14, John Digweed on April 15, Dirtyphonics on April 20, Moon Boots on April 22, Adam Beyer on May 28,

Lotsa good stuff :p It's also still only the end of March, so stuff for May and June is still in the process of getting booked/filled in. As they get closer the calendar will probably fill up more.

Hmmm those arent really my jam. I use to like Gareth Emery, but i think he went full trance. I like the occasional trance.

Plus its a Wednesday

Aomber

This was the first time I didn't go to Ultra in a few years, but I did go to some pretty amazing events during Miami Music Week.
I has such a blast and I hope that anyone else that was in town for the week can say the same. It's seriously like christmas for EDM fans.

Wanted to share my latest mix on here. This one's got a few tracks that I heard through out the week, lots of Tech House, and some nice melodic stuff near the end.
If you give it a listen I hope you like it, and any feedback is always super appreciated!

https://www.mixcloud.com/ComplexSolution/satisfaction/

Tracklist
Rafa Barrios - Just Do It (Miami Edit)
George Privatti, Dantiez Saunderson - Pio (Original Mix)
Supernova - U'r so Hot (Original Mix)
Gui Boratto, Renato Ratier - Tesla (Original Mix)
DJ Tonio - King (Pig&Dan Remix)
Ben Champell - Energy (DJ PP Remix)
Cristoph - Genesis (Original Mix)
GoldFFinch - Are We Here (Original Mix)
Maxdal - Living Yourself (Marck D & Johan Dresser Remix)
Metodi Hristov - My Black Is Not Your Black (Original Mix)
Christian Smith, Wehbba - Tungsten (Original Mix)
Aluria, Squares - Hierarchy Tree (Cetera Remix)
I usually don't comment but I usually at least listen for a little while, really like some of the tracks you throw into your mixes keep it up =)

Hmmm those arent really my jam. I use to like Gareth Emery, but i think he went full trance. I like the occasional trance.

Plus its a Wednesday
Hm, are you sure you don't mean like, more progressive house kinda stuff? Because I wouldn't really say Gareth makes trance lately, just listen to his last album it was basically 128 all the way lol

This track for example which came out last month >> https://youtu.be/tc7U9q1C4iA

Anyway, it's not my thing either so, haha. Although I'd encourage you to at least give a shot w/ someone like Sasha or Adam Beyer, you might change your mind in the best sound system in new york city

mr stroke

OMG could it be happening again :eek:

3ZYDStM.png

2017 Sasha & Digweed Delta Heavy 2 tour incoming

mr stroke

I hope Sasha goes back to his old ways (Northern Exposure, Airdrawndagger, Involver, etc.) His newer shit does nothing for me.

I am assuming what ever beef they had with each other is now gone. So I can only hope they decide to re group and tour together. I doubt they could sell out arenas any more considering they're not big room EDM stuff, but who knows, maybe the scene is ready for a trip back to dark progressive tribal music again?

Aomber

Just stumbled again upon THE set that got me into electronic music. Enjoy =) make sure to hit the HD button

Deadmau5 Live @ Much Music Toronto

Part 1: https://www.facebook.com/POPLiveUSA...0150094221024025/?type=2&theater&notif_t=like

Part 2: https://www.facebook.com/POPLiveUSA...0150094191969025/?type=2&theater&notif_t=like

Part 3: https://www.facebook.com/POPLiveUSA...0150094163384025/?type=2&theater&notif_t=like

Also new Gryffin remix, I know a few of you took interest in him from his Ultra performance

Troye Sivan - Youth (Gryffin Remix)

mr stroke

Okay, just listened to Self Assemble by Mat Zo.

So... I loved the first half up until track 7, but I gotta say for ME personally I wasn't a big fan of the second half. I love experimental electronic music but the second half just feels so disconnected from the first half, but not in a way that it feels like it ties together. Yes, I love it when an artist is different and diverse and dips their toes in lots of different things, but in the album context you have to find a way to do that that WORKS, and I don't think the way he did it going from nu disco to brostep felt right.

Second of all, while I thought the first half was the stronger half, I thought that the transitional tracks were pretty out of place. For example the album was introduced with an eery minor tone that was quickly succeeded with some joyous melodic chords. If you take Damage Control that initial transition felt much more natural and in place while setting a very similar tone. That happens several times throughout the first 6 tracks and I almost feel like while they're well produced, it'd be better to just not have them at all than throw off the tone.

It sucks because there were so many tracks in the second half too that were like ALMOST there for me but I just didn't like them in the end. Off the top of my head, Soul Food and Lights Out were so close but no cigar, and as fairly close examples, Pyramid Scheme and Lucid Dreams were much more enjoyable. On that note I thought Damage Control as an album was much more successful. It had a clear theme while being distinct and diverse and those little transitional tracks had a much more welcome space.

I'm sorry for all the comparisons to his last album but there were a lot of thematically similar aspects. I just felt like that did it so much better and he tried to get TOO crazy with Self Assemble, and that's so often a mistake that's made with the sophomore slump.

Favorite tracks were The Enemy and Killing Time

Got around to listening to this and shocked to say I disagree. The second half is the best part of the album. The album as a whole is fantastic IMO. Love the dips and dives into different genres. Ruff neck bad boy is an absolute destroyer, its got "bro" written all over it but damn if it isn't dirty as hell. Self Assemble>Damage Control

Aomber

Got around to listening to this and shocked to say I disagree. The second half is the best part of the album. The album as a whole is fantastic IMO. Love the dips and dives into different genres. Ruff neck bad boy is an absolute destroyer, its got "bro" written all over it but damn if it isn't dirty as hell. Self Assemble>Damage Control

Nah I'm not shocked to hear that, I respect that and I don't expect what I said to be a popular opinion. I really wanna emphasize that it was a personal thing, tracks like Ruffneck are just not my thing at all. As far as the tracks that I liked a bit more like the ones I mentioned, it's not that I didn't think they were pretty good songs it's just the sound design and direction didn't really click with me.

The biggest thing though is I just thought the second half didn't work at all with the first half, in a funny way I probably would have liked the album more if it was actually just more of the second half. I didn't like it as much but I'm big on album flow so I hope that makes sense.

Sai-kun

Banned
moderat's "III" is out today! go listen and tell me how it is

also, i'm gonna be making a mix to submit to a festival here in Chicago (http://www.gigwax.com/lolla/ !), and i would love to have some suggestions for tracks to use, from you all. I've got a handful of tracks I like so far, but there's so much out there I don't know that I definitely would trust all of your opinions on what's cool. the mix is gonna be house-y, so it probably won't wade too far into EDM territory, but y'all have good taste in music anyways so I know you'll suggest good stuff. :)

cdyhybrid

also, i'm gonna be making a mix to submit to a festival here in Chicago (http://www.gigwax.com/lolla/ !), and i would love to have some suggestions for tracks to use, from you all. I've got a handful of tracks I like so far, but there's so much out there I don't know that I definitely would trust all of your opinions on what's cool. the mix is gonna be house-y, so it probably won't wade too far into EDM territory, but y'all have good taste in music anyways so I know you'll suggest good stuff. :)
Toolroom generally puts out quality tech-house. Maybe throw some Dirty Bird in there?

L1NETT

way more apparat than modeselektor but i still think its super. Clear they want Moderat to be a slightly friendlier listen than the darker techno stuff and i think it works.

Running, Animal Trails, Reminder and Ghostmother are my highlights.

best album of the week is Leon Vynehall - Rojus tho

his essential mix was also sumptuous.

Ashhong

Man, avicii is a pioneer and should be remembered fondly. Dude was and still is great. He's one of the few mainstream djs that I consider to have real talent. He just chooses to put out really poppy mainstream singles for the $$$

Aomber

Man, avicii is a pioneer and should be remembered fondly. Dude was and still is great. He's one of the few mainstream djs that I consider to have real talent. He just chooses to put out really poppy mainstream singles for the $$$
To be fair, he's never drastically changed his style for the mainstream unlike many other producers, he's been consistent since the beginning just trying different things with it. Personally I absolutely love pop, I grew up with it that's why I write it so I can empathize with that notion. But yeah I agree, I don't love all of his newest music but I still greatly respect him, was sad to see so many negative comments on Facebook and such about his touring retirement.

Ashhong

To be fair, he's never drastically changed his style for the mainstream unlike many other producers, he's been consistent since the beginning just trying different things with it. Personally I absolutely love pop, I grew up with it that's why I write it so I can empathize with that notion. But yeah I agree, I don't love all of his newest music but I still greatly respect him, was sad to see so many negative comments on Facebook and such about his touring retirement.

Well, some would say his turn with country and "Wake me up" etc was super mainstream, but I see it now as more pioneering. Nobody was doing that, and now look at people!

His older stuff was better no doubt, but even his new stuff has sprinkles of his old style and a higher quality than most. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he really help to usher in the sped up sample style that's so popular now? I can't think of anyone that did it before and was successful with it

Aomber

Well, some would say his turn with country and "Wake me up" etc was super mainstream, but I see it now as more pioneering. Nobody was doing that, and now look at people!

His older stuff was better no doubt, but even his new stuff has sprinkles of his old style and a higher quality than most. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he really help to usher in the sped up sample style that's so popular now? I can't think of anyone that did it before and was successful with it
Yeah that's exactly my thoughts, don't get me wrong the whole True album wasn't exactly the same as his previous works, but at its core it was still Avicii just dipping its toes into different genres as well. What I mean is he didn't change from Hardstyle to Bigroom or something (ahem). I still remember when people were apparently booing him at Ultra, some of those songs turned into some of the biggest electronic songs ever lol

I would say he probably contributed to its popularity, yeah, it already existed for sure but never to the scale he took it.

Sai-kun

Banned
way more apparat than modeselektor but i still think its super. Clear they want Moderat to be a slightly friendlier listen than the darker techno stuff and i think it works.

Running, Animal Trails, Reminder and Ghostmother are my highlights.

Ghostmother is my favorite aside from Reminder, I think. This is good shit. I can't wait to see them next month, I've never seen either of them live.

Dat new Seven Lions damn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYtT7Tko_vU

Like a follow up to Strangers with M&S54

im in.gif

Aomber

I like music too, but when i find songs that i really dig, i listen to it for months and months, so i dont get a chance to broaden my horizon.

I get it, I do the same, I'll find myself listening to some songs for 6+ months on almost a daily basis. In fact a lot of my favorite artists that I listen to today are the same as the ones from when I first started listening to electronic music years ago. That's the best kind of music because it means it's timeless.

I guess I keep up with music so much because of my writing career – hearing new ideas, understanding what to do and what not to do is all part of that. In other words I like hearing new music with new ideas so I can combine new and old inspirations, but I also like to figure out what's trending specifically to avoid that trend and do my own thing.

cdyhybrid

Too much music coming out to listen to something constantly for that long.

Most of my listening is podcasts, so I get new stuff fed to me every week.

Aomber

Okay if you're going to Tomorrowland this year I hate you 1000 times more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exmbOS9yvc0

1:40

"You know we sat down and talked about it, we're actually going to do a live set. We're gonna bring some gear, rehearse, we're going all out. We're gonna rent a studio out in brussels for a couple weeks before the show, I'm gonna bring all my backline for my live show and quickly school eric on live stuff – there'll be some moogs and synths and stuff"

Deadmau5 on the mau5 b2b prydz JESUSSSSSSSS. Tomorrowland you better stream this.

------------------------------------

And speaking of the mau5, just found out he's just started a Beats 1 radio show!

Mau5trap Presents Episode 2 | Deadmau5 + ATTLAS Guest Mix

mr stroke

Okay if you're going to Tomorrowland this year I hate you 1000 times more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exmbOS9yvc0

1:40

Deadmau5 on the mau5 b2b prydz JESUSSSSSSSS. Tomorrowland you better stream this.

------------------------------------

And speaking of the mau5, just found out he's just started a Beats 1 radio show!

Mau5trap Presents Episode 2 | Deadmau5 + ATTLAS Guest Mix

if they are playing together this summer then maybe this is actually happening

:eek:

Top Bottom