• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

L3E2

hmm, netsky, seven lions, and marshmello kick ass, but I don't know if I'd want to drive 8 hours to see them. zeds dead has lost their way in recent years unfortunately, party favours remix of Dillon Francis is pretty good but I haven't heard anything else from them. garrix, hardwell are whatever but chainsmokers have been doing pretty decent stuff lately weird that they're a headliner though
Yeah I definitely feel you on having to drive 8 hours to get here, not looking forward to driving that long to get to Pemberton again this year, but last year was so fun that it was worth it and hopefully it'll be worth it again.

Martin Garrix is probably my favorite at the moment, I don't think he has a track that I don't enjoy. This is my jam ever since he played it at Ultra https://soundcloud.com/area21/spaceships
I'm feeling that Party Favours remix of that Dillon Francis song, thanks for the suggestion. I found out about marshmello a couple weeks ago and I'm really excited to see him. Going to see Chainsmokers twice in July, really hoping that they don't recycle their sets. Excited for Galantis, missed their show last time they were in town. Saw Hardwell 2 years ago but it was pretty meh, the volume had to be severely turned down during his set, such a buzzkill at an outdoor festival, but I guess that's what happens when you're in a park in downtown surrounded by apartment buildings. That's not really his fault though I guess.

I think a big element of progressive house usually is the progressive addition of elements to the song, strobe by deadmau5 is a really good example

I like this

In terms of not liking drops, you'll change your mind eventually if you hang out here long enough hehe :D

Haha I like drops, it's the lack of them that I don't like.

I guess that I do like pop prog house and I like this: Gaia - Empire Of Hearts (Original Mix)
LOVE THIS SONG, it brings me back to my innocent days haha: Deadmau5 + Kaskade - I Remember [Vocal Mix] (1080p) || HD

I'm not a fan of either of these :/

mr stroke

Yeah I definitely feel you on having to drive 8 hours to get here, not looking forward to driving that long to get to Pemberton again this year, but last year was so fun that it was worth it and hopefully it'll be worth it again.

Martin Garrix is probably my favorite at the moment, I don't think he has a track that I don't enjoy. This is my jam ever since he played it at Ultra https://soundcloud.com/area21/spaceships
I'm feeling that Party Favours remix of that Dillon Francis song, thanks for the suggestion. I found out about marshmello a couple weeks ago and I'm really excited to see him. Going to see Chainsmokers twice in July, really hoping that they don't recycle their sets. Excited for Galantis, missed their show last time they were in town. Saw Hardwell 2 years ago but it was pretty meh, the volume had to be severely turned down during his set, such a buzzkill at an outdoor festival, but I guess that's what happens when you're in a park in downtown surrounded by apartment buildings. That's not really his fault though I guess.

I like this

Haha I like drops, it's the lack of them that I don't like.

I guess that I do like pop prog house and I like this: Gaia - Empire Of Hearts (Original Mix)
LOVE THIS SONG, it brings me back to my innocent days haha: Deadmau5 + Kaskade - I Remember [Vocal Mix] (1080p) || HD

I'm not a fan of either of these :/

just an acquired taste

you will appreciate slower, groovier stuff the more you listen...

maybe you enjoy a bit of a harder tribal progressive style ?

Saeed & Palash - Watching you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgtHEWlr7R4

Saints & Sinners - Pushin Too Hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcBv-0yN3uk

if that kind of stuff is too slow then you need to look for newer Big Room progressive

Orjan Nilsen - Don
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ibmo7fcHTs

Orjan Nilsen - The Late Anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GwDVrn8tXI&nohtml5=False

L3E2

just an acquired taste

you will appreciate slower, groovier stuff the more you listen...

maybe you enjoy a bit of a harder tribal progressive style ?

if that kind of stuff is too slow then you need to look for newer Big Room progressive

Cool, will give a listen to these when I get home, thanks.

What does the term "big room" mean? I think that I like that kind of stuff.

Guys, guys let's get him started immediately with Hardstyle :p

Hahaha you guys kid but I actually do enjoy hardstyle, it's all that one of my best friends listens to and he's the one that got me into the edm scene. Im not familiar with any hardstyle artists/djs but I did see Coone a couple of months ago and I had a good time.

It's crazy how many different sub genres exist within the term "edm". I'm trying to learn the differences but there's so much to take in. I remember a couple of years ago I thought that it was all trash and sounded the same, and now looking back, how silly of me to say all that.

cdyhybrid

Cool, will give a listen to these when I get home, thanks.

What does the term "big room" mean? I think that I like that kind of stuff.

Hahaha you guys kid but I actually do enjoy hardstyle, it's all that one of my best friends listens to and he's the one that got me into the edm scene. Im not familiar with any hardstyle artists/djs but I did see Coone a couple of months ago and I had a good time.

It's crazy how many different sub genres exist within the term "edm". I'm trying to learn the differences but there's so much to take in. I remember a couple of years ago I thought that it was all trash and sounded the same, and now looking back, how silly of me to say all that.
Big room is stuff that ignores everything else and just goes for big drops. Which generally makes most of the songs sound similar. Typically found on the main stage of festivals.

Yea, Coone is probably the biggest sounding name right now for mainstream mainstream Hardstyle. He is what got me into Hardstyle. He would be a good start into Hardstyle. Listen to his podcast and you're going to be introduced to many more artists.

Zatox
Brennan Heart (another big name and probably the biggest name for Hardstyle right now)
Wasted Penguinz (EDM-GAF introduced these two to me )
Da Tweekaz (they have a more friendly sound, especially known for their Frozen mix)
d-block & s-te-fan
Isaac or DJ Isaac

Also marloisasian, your best friend sounds like me lol.

Big Room is generally what the mainstream refers to as 'EDM'. It's main focus compared to the other genres and sub-genres, is the drop. It generally is comparable to the other spectrum that Aomber described for Prog House. There's generally no beginning or end and just comprises of a middle or a drop.

Perfect example:

DV&LM with Martin Garrix - Tremor

Big Room isn't just hive and fart sounds or minimalist bass. In fact at least in Reddit's definition over at /r/edm and /r/bigroom the melodic pop stuff is also another form of big room.

Yes that Anthem/Melodic/Pop is considered Big Room as well

L3E2

Nah you start with the speedcore, breakcore, and gabber
breakcore wouldn't be a bad place to start honestly

What do these even mean? lol

I can rock with this

Zatox
Brennan Heart (another big name and probably the biggest name for Hardstyle right now)
Wasted Penguinz (EDM-GAF introduced these two to me )
Da Tweekaz (they have a more friendly sound, especially known for their Frozen mix)
d-block & s-te-fan
Isaac or DJ Isaac

Also marloisasian, your best friend sounds like me lol.

I will add it all to my list to look into, thanks. I'll ask him if he's heard of any of these people you mentioned. I have heard him talk about Brennan Heart a lot. Bummed that I missed his show last year.

And it should come to no surprise that I do enjoy that Tremor song haha.

My bad, I meant to say if you don't like NO drops, stick around here and you'll change your mind :D haha

I'm always open to listen to new artists and genres, some things take longer to grow on me than others. I can see the appeal of those kinds of songs but at the moment they aren't really for me. I'm sure that will change in a couple months/years though.

And now I get what you guys mean by big room, that's probably what I enjoy most then, followed by probably trap. I think those sounds appeal to me most because i find that they're easiest to dance to, and have a connection to rap/hiphop. It seems pretty popular for dj's to start in rap/hiphop then make a transition to edm. At least my scene anyways.
I find a lot of rap/hiphop gets thrown into sets from time to time with dance remixed catchy hooks. It's so good when you're rolling and the dj plays an entire verse opposed to two lines and coincidentally you actually know all the words, so you spit them out loud in confidence, which causes everyone around you to get more hype and start dancing. I love that shit.

cdyhybrid

What do these even mean? lol

I can rock with this

I will add it all to my list to look into, thanks. I'll ask him if he's heard of any of these people you mentioned. I have heard him talk about Brennan Heart a lot. Bummed that I missed his show last year.

And it should come to no surprise that I do enjoy that Tremor song haha.

I'm always open to listen to new artists and genres, some things take longer to grow on me than others. I can see the appeal of those kinds of songs but at the moment they aren't really for me. I'm sure that will change in a couple months/years though.

And now I get what you guys mean by big room, that's probably what I enjoy most then, followed by probably trap. I think those sounds appeal to me most because i find that they're easiest to dance to, and have a connection to rap/hiphop. It seems pretty popular for dj's to start in rap/hiphop then make a transition to edm. At least my scene anyways.
I find a lot of rap/hiphop gets thrown into sets from time to time with dance remixed catchy hooks. It's so good when you're rolling and the dj plays an entire verse opposed to two lines and coincidentally you actually know all the words, so you spit them out loud in confidence, which causes everyone around you to get more hype and start dancing. I love that shit.

Haha...just keep in mind that you can't roll forever. A lot of stuff will sound great when you're high, but eventually you're going to have to find something that you can enjoy while sober ;)

Aomber

Big Room isn't just hive and fart sounds or minimalist bass. In fact at least in Reddit's definition over at /r/edm and /r/bigroom the melodic pop stuff is also another form of big room.

Yes that Anthem/Melodic/Pop is considered Big Room as well
I'm not sure I like that. I can see the point being made but I think if you wanted to clump the two together it would be Mainstage EDM. To me the two have varying levels of musicality; Bigroom has very little musical credibility while the more Pop progressive stuff at least has a decent amount. Don't get me wrong, if you listen to the wrong guys it can still be uninteresting despite that but there's a lot more room for the MUSIC, yknow what I mean? I wouldn't consider Avicii bigroom for example - musically and sonically it's not even close to someone like DVLM.

And this should better explain why I wouldn't compare the two
It's just a different type of music with a different intention. A lot of mainstage EDM is instant gratification whereas the groovier more minimalist stuff is more about the journey, one is more for jumping and going bananas while the other is about grooving out. It definitely can take time to fully appreciate it.

A recent set that I thought did a great job of that is this, albeit I'll warn you it gets pretty minimal/underground at a couple points --> Deadmau5 @ Ultra Music Festival Miami 2016 - Day 2 Full set

Haha...just keep in mind that you can't roll forever. A lot of stuff will sound great when you're high, but eventually you're going to have to find something that you can enjoy while sober ;)
Exactly. I've never done drugs at shows but I used to listen to a lot more mainstage-ish EDM because I'd associate it with the shows. When I started going back to my roots, separating music you listen to and music that's designed for festivals, I started listening to that stuff a lot less. Not to say all that kind of music isn't listenable in a home and I do have a bit of it on my playlist, but a lot of it just feels like it's created with a different intent.

L3E2

LOL not for me

Valid point, I do agree. In a couple years I'm gonna be that dude at festivals sober and wearing ear plugs lol. Hopefully, in for the long haul.

I'm not sure I like that. I can see the point being made but I think if you wanted to clump the two together it would be Mainstage EDM. To me the two have varying levels of musicality; Bigroom has very little musical credibility while the more Pop progressive stuff at least has a decent amount. Don't get me wrong, if you listen to the wrong guys it can still be uninteresting despite that but there's a lot more room for the MUSIC, yknow what I mean? I wouldn't consider Avicii bigroom for example - musically and sonically it's not even close to someone like DVLM.

It's just a different type of music with a different intention. A lot of mainstage EDM is instant gratification whereas the groovier more minimalist stuff is more about the journey, one is more for jumping and going bananas while the other is about grooving out. It definitely can take time to fully appreciate it.

A recent set that I thought did a great job of that is this, albeit I'll warn you it gets pretty minimal/underground at a couple points --> Deadmau5 @ Ultra Music Festival Miami 2016 - Day 2 Full set

Exactly. I've never done drugs at shows but I used to listen to a lot more mainstage-ish EDM because I'd associate it with the shows. When I started going back to my roots, separating music you listen to and music that's designed for festivals, I started listening to that stuff a lot less. Not to say all that kind of music isn't listenable in a home and I do have a bit of it on my playlist, but a lot of it just feels like it's created with a different intent.

Yeah I definitely agree with everything you have to say here. That soundcloud example you gave is hilarious, I can see why people hate on big room/mainstage edm and say there is no creativity/little credibility.

You guys really know your stuff, I like that. I don't think I've ever posted this much on gaf before. You guys are cool.

Yea, I myself, don't consider the likes of Avicii, Vicetone, The Chainsmokers, etc. Big Room. Once you can identify that Big Room sound you know what it is immediately. It cannot be lumped into Prog House/House the likes of Zedd, The Chainsmokers, Avicii, etc. but sadly, many people do :/

I enjoy mainstage EDM and Big Room. Those two are what I listen to when I just want to rage the night away (along with Hardstyle). Stuff like Prydz and deadmau5 are great for when I don't want to rage the night away and just want to lay back and chill.

There's also nothing wrong with liking Big Room. Don't feel discouraged to post Big Room tracks here and say you like it. There's enough room for everyone here ^_^

Aomber

Yea, I myself, don't consider the likes of Avicii, Vicetone, The Chainsmokers, etc. Big Room. Once you can identify that Big Room sound you know what it is immediately. It cannot be lumped into Prog House/House the likes of Zedd, The Chainsmokers, Avicii, etc. but sadly, many people do :/

I enjoy mainstage EDM and Big Room. Those two are what I listen to when I just want to rage the night away (along with Hardstyle). Stuff like Prydz and deadmau5 are great for when I don't want to rage the night away and just want to lay back and chill.

There's also nothing wrong with liking Big Room. Don't feel discouraged to post Big Room tracks here and say you like it. There's enough room for everyone here ^_^

For sure. To be clear I DO love mainstage music even though that's few and far between now a day. I just don't love the repetitive rehashed sounds of most bigroom, but there's some decent bigroom tracks too that are mostly produced by Maarten Vorwerk (ex. Mammoth)

The main thing for me is I just like to hear interesting sounds/ideas

Charlie Darker - Vulu

Skrillex & The Doors - Breakn' A Sweat (Zedd Remix)

cdyhybrid

qKS66ue.png

Aomber

Alright I feel like I need to talk about this because I've heard this done so many times, but in this particular case it just annoyed me so much I think it needs to be addressed because nobody talks about it. But let me start off by saying you guys know me, I love artists getting experimental in the electronic format, and I'm not discouraging that at all. However I think there is something to be said about retaining certain types of music as they are and some things just shouldn't be blended. The thing is that happens so much in EDM.

I'll post the song in question that I heard that's making me say this.

Kaskade ft. Ilsey - Disarm You (Illenium Remix)

You have this really beautiful, atmospheric, instrumental track with guitars, strings, huge drums and a great vocal attached to it. Then it hits the 1:10 mark and suddenly it turns into this EDM build up and an herpy drpy eopic brostep footur bayse dorp.

Seriously though is this necessary? Why does it have to be EDMified it clearly ruins the vibe of what's otherwise a great song. The drop isn't even good it's just blatantly forced into the song. THAT'S what annoys me. I get it, every bedroom producer wants to get out of their bedroom and out into the real world and an effective way of doing that is writing music that is popular. But like, man if you wanna write orchestral music just write a fucking orchestral song it doesn't have to be EDM every single time, I hate seeing art ruined like that and it seems to happen pretty often in EDM. It's such a problem with upcoming and even pro level producers, they think every song HAS to have a snare build up or HAS to have an obvious "drop" instead of just writing songs that are actually good. This is what I was talking about the other day when I said so much EDM makes the point of the song the drop instead of just writing a song that takes you on a journey.

I was trying to think of a close comparison to this Illenium remix that just does it better and a great example is ODESZA. Listen to this, they're doing exactly what I'm talking about. It's not forced at all it's just a good song, and almost 4 million plays on YouTube. But shit people aren't willing to take risks I guess.

ODESZA - Bloom

mr stroke

Wait really?

My old raver days of dropping molly and acid are long gone too, but completely sober at every club/festival/show? (And this is considering booze & marijuana as drugs :p )

Illenium is being pushed hard but that's no excuse. Just an observation. It's essentially just being remixed for the mainstage and the push for Future Bass right now. I've listened to Illenium's remix for The Chainsmokers Don't Let Me Down and I wasn't a fan right from the start. I now ignore whatever remix Illenium puts out now. Like we discussed Aomber, this dickriding and bandwagonning is getting out of hand and it's alot more obvious now that it's a more easily identifiable style of music.

Also, I'm super happy that Galantis' Runaway is being used for Ratchet and Clank. I know I know, it's overplayed now but it's such a good song and I'm happy that Insomniac are fans of at least one song from Galantis.

Concerning drug use at a event, I don't partake due to having Asthma. I will drink but no drug use. MJ makes me sleepy so that's out the window sadly.

Aomber

Yesssss thank you for posting this

EDIT: Wait, apparently there's some confusion going on and Joel didn't even partake in the production. https://twitter.com/deadmau5

Wait really?

My old raver days of dropping molly and acid are long gone too, but completely sober at every club/festival/show? (And this is considering booze & marijuana as drugs :p )
Hahaha no. I've gotten drunk at shows, I should have clarified that, I meant like I've never done weed, MDMA, etc etc.

To be honest though I haven't even gotten drunk at a show in a long time, the last time I was plastered was Steve Angello in April last year because my cousin was in town. Otherwise I'll usually just have 1 or 2 drinks.

Illenium is being pushed hard but that's no excuse. Just an observation. It's essentially just being remixed for the mainstage and the push for Future Bass right now. I've listened to Illenium's remix for The Chainsmokers Don't Let Me Down and I wasn't a fan right from the start. I now ignore whatever remix Illenium puts out now. Like we discussed Aomber, this dickriding and bandwagonning is getting out of hand and it's alot more obvious now that it's a more easily identifiable style of music.

Also, I'm super happy that Galantis' Runaway is being used for Ratchet and Clank. I know I know, it's overplayed now but it's such a good song and I'm happy that Insomniac are fans of at least one song from Galantis.

Concerning drug use at a event, I don't partake due to having Asthma. I will drink but no drug use. MJ makes me sleepy so that's out the window sadly.

Yep. Everyone and their grandmother is writing future bass it's so boring, admittedly that's part of the reason I made that post but it's just an observation of a lot of EDM overall

Aomber

OH MAN I found this track from Armin's ASOT ultra set that I thought just brought an incredible amount of energy at the right time. Thought it was a Gaia track when I heard it but I guess not!

Ben Gold - I'm In A State Of Trance (ASOT 750 Anthem) [Extended Mix]

Not so EDM post incoming but it's electronic enough that I wanna nostalgia bomb this thread so we can appreciate this together.

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc. (Remastered)

This song is a FUCKING masterpiece I haven't listened to it in years but it's been on repeat the last couple days, used to only like short bits of it but now love it from start to end. It's so unique it's the kinda music you listen to in a bar where it's dim lights with tons of graffiti on the wall and it's super chill, just what I picture for some reason

I dunno I've been really inspired lately by a few songs in this kinda funky 140 BPM stuff :D

Talonz

I still fail to see why Jack-U is that great. This is just ok at the very least. I'd rather listen to a Hardwell set sadly.

Aomber

Some great stuff on the stream today, gonna be tuning in a little later

I still fail to see why Jack-U is that great. This is just ok at the very least. I'd rather listen to a Hardwell set sadly.
It's not for everyone but such is the nature of being unique. That's why they're great, even if you don't like their music that's more respectable than Hardwell who plays the same set and makes the same music as any other bigroom schmuck

Aomber

Checked out CHVRCHES, Disclosure, ZHU, Grimes, and Zedd today (online, one year I'll be there). All really great sets :D ZHU's set was a BIT slow for my likings even though I dig his music but I could still appreciate it. Grimes' music I'm not that familiar with but she's super wacky, amazing performer.

Was really surprised by Kesha's guest appearance during Zedd's set. Never realized how good her voice is live, wow

Also I've been saying it for a while (not in this thread really) but live electronic performance is the future and I love that

cdyhybrid

Purity Ring was also great. Zhu's set was just straight up baby-making music until he brought out his guests (which was amazing, by the way). Dude just makes damn good music.

mr stroke

Purity Ring was also great. Zhu's set was just straight up baby-making music until he brought out his guests (which was amazing, by the way). Dude just makes damn good music.

Who were the Zhu cameos?

Heard RL Grime fucking leveled the Sahara tent last night. Not surprising as his HARD Summer set was one of my favorites of last year(dark bass heavy bombs with zero cheese)

CAN NOT FUCKING WAIT till next weekend :eek:

cdyhybrid

Who were the Zhu cameos?

Heard RL Grime fucking leveled the Sahara tent last night. Not surprising as his HARD Summer set was one of my favorites of last year(dark bass heavy bombs with zero cheese)

CAN NOT FUCKING WAIT till next weekend :eek:
He brought out Bone Thugs N Harmony.

RL Grime's set was pretty great on the stream too.

Damn, Coachella's that lit huh? I need to go to one sometime lol.

Also I agree with folks saying that this is how EDM events should do their live streams. It's just so much better compared to what I've seen so far.

Also I've been saying it for a while (not in this thread really) but live electronic performance is the future and I love that

Definitely.

L3E2

Dang I was at a film festival all weekend and totally forgot about coachella. Does anyone know if there's an archive somewhere to watch streamed performances from the weekend?

Chainsmokers do nothing for me. They just sound like generic big room producers to me.

Fuck you!!! Just kidding ^_^

I don't like their electro songs and I prefer their Pop House Songs more. They've progressed more than I've thought. I thought that once they've hit #selfie status that they would stick with it but they didn't and that's what makes me a fan of their music.

Not everybody likes it, like you, but I do and applaud them. They turned a gimmick song into something more and that's great!

cdyhybrid

Fuck you!!! Just kidding ^_^

I don't like their electro songs and I prefer their Pop House Songs more. They've progressed more than I've thought. I thought that once they've hit #selfie status that they would stick with it but they didn't and that's what makes me a fan of their music.

Not everybody likes it, like you, but I do and applaud them. They turned a gimmick song into something more and that's great!

Not trying to be a dick, if you enjoy them more power to you. I just don't get it, I guess :p

Not trying to be a dick, if you enjoy them more power to you. I just don't get it, I guess :p

Yup! I think if you prefer more Pop House/Prog House you would like The Chainsmokers and I think the casuals like that sound more than what we are accustomed to? That's just what I think though.

Now if you wanna talk about garbage EDM... look no further we have KSHMR on right now lol.

Top Bottom