• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Cagey

Banned
Another year, another odyssey in Vegas.

Some of the night options include Kaskade on Friday and Porter Robinson on Saturday.

If you've seen Porter live, how accessible is his show to the mainstream fan? I know full well I would go and love every second but I have to consider the rest of the group.

Ixian

If you've seen Porter live, how accessible is his show to the mainstream fan? I know full well I would go and love every second but I have to consider the rest of the group.
I've seen Porter a few times now; my first time was last year at Hard Summer when I was just getting deeper into EDM and I think his sets are ultra accessible.

Aomber

Another year, another odyssey in Vegas.

Some of the night options include Kaskade on Friday and Porter Robinson on Saturday.

I assume you mean his Vegas DJ sets at Marquee right? Absolutely

Aomber

There's a lot I could say about this but I think this speaks for itself. I understand he's helping her out but I think a lot of potential was lost re-releasing a song that has already been out for a year. This collaboration could have been so much cooler, so much more interesting, and so much more unexpected. With the ongoing legal battle making headlines, taking a song that already existed and pumping it out there with said person just feels like such a blatant publicity move. Were it an actual new song I'd have no problem with it but this just sucks.

New:

Zedd & Kesha - True Colors

Old:

Zedd - True Colors (Empire State Building)

EDIT: Fixed new true colors with full version of song

Sai-kun

Banned
Yeah...I'm happy she can record again obviously, but I would have rather them worked on a new song than just rerecording an old one.

Aomber

Calvin Harris - This Is What You Came For (feat. Rihanna) Clip only, full version available through streaming services or online retailers

This is why Calvin is at the top of radio edm. This is unexpected. It's clearly house music there's no doubt about that, but that's as far as labeling goes. In a market where we can tell in 1-2 seconds what genre so much EDM is, especially when it comes to all the house music out there, Calvin always knows how to carve out his own space

Calvin Harris - This Is What You Came For (feat. Rihanna) Clip only, full version available through streaming services or online retailers

This is why Calvin is at the top of radio edm. This is unexpected. It's clearly house music there's no doubt about that, but that's as far as labeling goes. In a market where we can tell in 1-2 seconds what genre so much EDM is, especially when it comes to all the house music out there, Calvin always knows how to carve out his own space

Hm.... I'm left underwhelmed but I'm sure it'll grow on me in the coming weeks.

Aomber

actual good new music
So what quantifies as "actual good" music? I'm all for criticizing music and I do it all the time in here but I often see you just saying other music "sucks" and that's it. One time you went as far as just saying how a new song sucked and not even bothering posting it or saying why you thought so. I'm just not really sure what that contributes to the thread, I don't tell people their taste in music sucks but instead show and explain what I think is better - to me. "To me" being the key words because while I have my reasons, music taste is such a relative concept. It makes it really hard to take your music recommendations seriously, but that's just me

Aomber

Disclosure at the first ever Boiler Room China streaming tomorrow

https://boilerroom.tv/session/boiler-room-shanghai/

ChR4jDYUUAEenjp.jpg:large
actual/proper is my way of saying right good, not meant as a slight or a jab at other's tastes. Apologies if it seemed so, lazy choice of words.
No prob! Thanks for clarifying

Aomber

Techno at #1 on Beatport :D this track is great

Enrico Sangiuliano - X-Pollination [UNRILIS]

Axwell Ingrosso release vocal version w/ Pharrell of Dream Bigger

Axwell Λ Ingrosso - Dream Bigger

I can't put my finger on it, but without Angello something just seems "missing" from their music. It's not the same, they've clearly tried to recreate some of the swedish house mafia hits but none of them have been as good so far. This is clearly trying to be another "One" but it just doesn't capture the same kinda epicness to it.

For reference >> Swedish House Mafia - One (Your Name)

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
There's a lot I could say about this but I think this speaks for itself. I understand he's helping her out but I think a lot of potential was lost re-releasing a song that has already been out for a year. This collaboration could have been so much cooler, so much more interesting, and so much more unexpected. With the ongoing legal battle making headlines, taking a song that already existed and pumping it out there with said person just feels like such a blatant publicity move. Were it an actual new song I'd have no problem with it but this just sucks.

You do realize she isn't allowed to make new songs but can do covers, right?

Aomber

You do realize she isn't allowed to make new songs but can do covers, right?

See, that makes sense when you put it like that - I get that and I understand label contracts set certain limitations. However I don't think that was really communicated that well. I saw that he tweeted that they got permission to release it, but it was marketed as a new release, a new single. It was not marketed as a cover. It set the implications that something else could have been done there instead of just a cover of a pre-existing song.

I hope that makes sense, I know he has good intentions and I actually really like this new version but it's confused some people.

Aomber

My summer is gonna be too complicated with college graduation so I haven't planned any major, cross country festivals or anything like that.

Decent chance I might be attending Bestival in Toronto though, which is enough for me because the lineup is absolutely incredible.

1d9p5AV.png

Fantastic track. Stunned at the position considering its pretty dark and absent of a big drop.

Very reminiscent of old 2000's Global Underground/Saeed & Palash sound (tech/tribal/progressive). Love it. Hoping EDM is trending back toward that sound again.

Techno is definitely on the rise. Also I just realized the same guy made this track which I love too

Boris - Can You Hear Me (Enrico Sangiuliano Remix)

Aomber

Me in real life every day

rrR3S43.png

Also I've had Calvin's song on repeat the last few days, honestly it might be my favorite song of his that he's released

rbnoble06

Neo Member
Hello, new to this thread.

Been reading along and wondering where the best place to listen to big mixes or long playlists is, where I can discover new artists? I noticed some of you use Pandora, but that's unavailable in the UK. Any other suggestions?

Probably listen to progressive house the most.

cdyhybrid

Hello, new to this thread.

Been reading along and wondering where the best place to listen to big mixes or long playlists is, where I can discover new artists? I noticed some of you use Pandora, but that's unavailable in the UK. Any other suggestions?

Probably listen to progressive house the most.

Podcasts, di.fm. Also Soundcloud and Essential Mix as mentioned above.

So, I figure this is the most appropriate place to post my first rave story (I hope):

I went to life in color, and man, I got soaked in paint. I was dancing and loving life for a good moment, IT WAS SO MUCH FUN! For a few hours--until my roll just turned to shit. I got bad vibes from some girl I knew, and ever since that moment, I was on downhill trajectory. Nobody wanted to talk to me, or be around me (for good reason). I was so negative that I ended up almost ruining the night for a friend that I had just met. I felt so bad because I'm not that guy usually, and this guys was super down to earth and he even gave me my first candy bracelets. Anyway, despite that, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a full on raver. I absolutely LOVE the lifestyle, the whole plur thing, to me at first, seemed like nonsense, but now I get it and want nothing else!

Edit: omg, fuck menthols.

Aomber

So, I figure this is the most appropriate place to post my first rave story (I hope):

I went to life in color, and man, I got soaked in paint. I was dancing and loving life for a good moment, IT WAS SO MUCH FUN! For a few hours--until my roll just turned to shit. I got bad vibes from some girl I knew, and ever since that moment, I was on downhill trajectory. Nobody wanted to talk to me, or be around me (for good reason). I was so negative that I ended up almost ruining the night for a friend that I had just met. I felt so bad because I'm not that guy usually, and this guys was super down to earth and he even gave me my first candy bracelets. Anyway, despite that, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a full on raver. I absolutely LOVE the lifestyle, the whole plur thing, to me at first, seemed like nonsense, but now I get it and want nothing else!

It happens man. I've been there, having a great night and one person just puts you in the wrong mood - really easy to take a 180 especially if you're drinking or on something else. Just try to avoid those situations is all

Glad you enjoyed your first festival anyway! Never been to life in color before but it sounds cool

Don't take shit personal when you're rolling trust me. She could of just came off her roll too and not even know giving you bad vibes. Or you could of just been overblowning shit in your head. It's drugs after all. Trust me been to dozens upon dozens of these things. Looking back a lot of misunderstanding because wasn't in the right mental state.

Ixian

I went to life in color, and man, I got soaked in paint. I was dancing and loving life for a good moment, IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!
Which LIC did you go to? Went to the San Diego one last year and had tickets for this year's but decided to sell them to make up for a double dose of Kaskade in LA this coming weekend.

It happens man. I've been there, having a great night and one person just puts you in the wrong mood - really easy to take a 180 especially if you're drinking or on something else. Just try to avoid those situations is all

Glad you enjoyed your first festival anyway! Never been to life in color before but it sounds cool

It was phenomenal! Nothing better than getting wet from neon paint. I recommend it.

Don't take shit personal when you're rolling trust me. She could of just came off her roll too and not even know giving you bad vibes. Or you could of just been overblowning shit in your head. It's drugs after all. Trust me been to dozens upon dozens of these things. Looking back a lot of misunderstanding because wasn't in the right mental state.

Yeah, idk, her whole vibe or energy was off which threw me off completely. She wasnt even rolling. Oh well, I still had fun regardless :)

Which LIC did you go to? Went to the San Diego one last year and had tickets for this year's but decided to sell them to make up for a double dose of Kaskade in LA this coming weekend.

I went to the one in SD. I kinda wish I had glasses, goggles, or some protective eye where tho, I got blasted by paint straight across my eyes. Paint in the eyes is not the business.

I just googled kaskade, I like his music. It's pretty uplifting. Have fun!

DMczaf

I'm going to be there, but I'm always with such a big group that meetups are hard for me unless other people want to come to one of our meetup times/spots, lol.

I have multiple groups going, so I'll be making the rounds.

We'll see whats up the closer we get next month.

Top Bottom