• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

That was actually one thing I never had a problem with at EDC Vegas. I was texting and calling friends no prob there (AT&T user)

Actually meeting up with them, on the other hand...

T-Mobile here and I would get a message like 4 hours after it sent....people who had AT&T in our group was our only way of contact. We lost a few people a couple of times and it was pretty much bye bye if they weren't on AT&T.

Aomber

T-Mobile here and I would get a message like 4 hours after it sent....people who had AT&T in our group was our only way of contact. We lost a few people a couple of times and it was pretty much bye bye if they weren't on AT&T.

Yeah damn, that's rough. Also I actually lied - I remember there was a problem with a couple people where I literally didn't get a text until 3 days later. That was only a couple cases though, most times that wasn't a prob

rbnoble06

Neo Member
Heard this before and it's nice. I would love to do a remix of chvrches, it's high on the wishlist but unfortunately there's no publicly available studio stems, absolutely love Laurens voice

Yeah I like it a lot. It's a shame that's the case, hopefully they're available some day. Hard not to love Lauren's voice!

mr stroke

BTW, if any of y'all are going to EDC let me know. We gotta have a GAF meetup!

That was actually one thing I never had a problem with at EDC Vegas. I was texting and calling friends no prob there (AT&T user)

Actually meeting up with them, on the other hand...

AT&T and never got a signal at all. Every other festival no issues. For some reason that speedway hates my phones.

Aomber

AT&T and never got a signal at all. Every other festival no issues. For some reason that speedway hates my phones.

That's so weird, I guess the bottom line is you gotta be prepared that you won't have signal haha. I sure was, was pretty surprised I had no issues

Aomber

AlunaGeorge - My Blood (Visualette) ft. Zhu

Flume announced a new tour with all dates >> http://www.flumemusic.com/

Also won't post it since it's not edm at all at all but just wanted to say... Radiohead - Burn The Witch is so far my song of the year. Masterpiece.

EDIT: This guy... Finished version of the mau5 studio. Sexiness surround sound mixing, glorious modular systems, prophet 10, the works.

ChpVywZU4AESTPy.jpg:large

Aomber

Whoaaaaaa one of the FUCKING craziest songs Dillon has put out :D this is fun! Also I love Zane Lowe, that's interesting that he used Sorry as an analogy for Moombah getting popular again, I never thought of that as a Moombah song but that's pretty true

Anyway, sounds perfect for a night of getting pissed eating pizza and playing overwatch

I used to be aggressive as fuck when I'm drunk however if I'm like on molly then I'm like lovey dovey.

Now I'm pretty chill, but I don't really get drunk either just drink a little for a buz then call it good.

Aomber

Porter Robinson - Worlds ALBUM REVIEW (theneedledrop)

It's been almost two years since Worlds and I came across this review the other day that I remember seeing way back but not actually watching it. I thought this was really interesting because it made some points that I wasn't able to really make myself when the album was released and I thought it would be a good time to revisit it, as I now have a personal wish for Porter's next album.

First of all I wouldn't criticize the album quite as harshly as he did. He says he didn't really enjoy it and preferred his direction with the Spitfire EP. I wholeheartedly enjoy the album, I personally disagree that he should have stuck with the Spitfire direction, and I still love Worlds to this day. However I think he has a point - certain songs while a lot better than a lot of EDM, feel like they could have been ripped straight from something like an early MGMT album, Passion Pit, M83... Stuff like that. (example: MGMT - Time To Pretend). Obviously I am not saying that there's anything wrong with those influences as those are some fucking great ones, but there is a "dated" feeling, a "been here done that" with some of the music on Worlds, without offering a distinct new cocktail mix of some real Porter influence. Specifically the songs: Years of War, Polygon Dust, Hear The Bells, Lionhearted, and (sort of) Sea of Voices. All great songs still, but nothing really out of the park like the other half of the songs. Songs like Flicker and Goodbye To A World have a much more distinct "PORTER" sound to them, this big "fuck you" sound with a certain "Porter" harmonic and melodic influence rooting from Spitfire. Sad Machine while not necessarily borrowing from that brings some really interesting nuances, with Porter singing along to the Vocaloid and the video game influence being thrown into the mix.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'd love more of that! With a new Porter album likely on the horizon in the next ~12 months (it's been almost 2 years since Worlds), my personal wishlist is hoping he really hits it out of the park with his own distinct style. He goes like, 60% of the way on Worlds. Still one of my favorite electronic albums, great music from start to end, but that would be cool to see.

On a separate note, less related to porter but more so a comment I've seen on the internet a lot. This comment on YouTube: "Oh this dude clearly hasn't seen Porter live therefore his opinion is moot". What kind of nonsense logic is this? Porter's show is absolutely incredible but a live show is a completely different thing from an album or music quality in general. I can enjoy a Flosstradamus set but that doesn't mean I think their music is good.

Listen to Worlds here >> Porter Robinson - Worlds (YouTube Playlist)

mr stroke

AlunaGeorge - My Blood (Visualette) ft. Zhu

Flume announced a new tour with all dates >> http://www.flumemusic.com/

Also won't post it since it's not edm at all at all but just wanted to say... Radiohead - Burn The Witch is so far my song of the year. Masterpiece.

EDIT: This guy... Finished version of the mau5 studio. Sexiness surround sound mixing, glorious modular systems, prophet 10, the works.

ChpVywZU4AESTPy.jpg:large

dear God :eek:

and...... Aomber, no more changing your Avatar! I should be talking to Tracer, and I am all confused now :\

Aomber

and...... Aomber, no more changing your Avatar! I should be talking to Tracer, and I am all confused now :\

LOL I knew someone was gonna say this eventually! I've been having a hard time settling on an icon recently

I wanted a new tracer icon actually but haven't found any GREAT ones which I'm kinda surprised about since the internet loves her too much

Edit: Let's try this one for a while. And by a while I mean probably until tomorrow amirite

Anthony Smantano here lol. I like the dude just for how harsh he can be towards the artists that he appreciates.

Also, I was watching the TomorrowLand doc, People of Tomorrow, on Netflix today..... Separating the people and the constant use of DV&LM killed it for me. They also got too deep into each persons background. I understand that they all come from a troubled or controversial background but focus on it for 5-10 minutes and move on. There was no need for multiple episodes about all these people from around the world.

I also understand that the people are important and that we are and should be the focus for these EDM Festival docs but geeze, take it back a notch. There's no need for ~1 hours worth of footage for each persons life. I also noticed how rich some of those folks are :/ One was a rich Nepalese girl who came from royalty and got into acting and she's married to a Pro Cricket player. They also had two things that repeated themselves, the LGBT movement. They already had a lesbian couple, they didn't need another women (who is straight) that is involved in LGBT politics where she lived.

I did enjoy the Kenyan women! She was cute and was sorta lost on the whole thing from a newness perspective. She made a great comment that I found myself asking repeating it, "there are alot of white folks here. It would make me alot more comfortable if I saw another person with my skin color!" But it has progressed and there are now alot more minorities and poc that goes to these festivals! They have also made moves to have more festivals in more countries where you would see more people who look like you (doc was made in 2013-2014).

It was too long and I stopped watching it. I can see why they went the EDC route and focused on a shorter doc that included fan interactions and DJs talking about the history of Electronic music.

Aomber

DVLM are partnered with SFX/ID&T so they're always unfortunately a big image of Tomorrowland. I haven't watched it because I've heard similar things about the documentary, but don't let their focus on things like that give you the wrong impression, the event is absolutely awesome and the diversity of dance music is excellent. It's far and away better than any dance festival I've been to or have heard lots about in the states.

But yeah, you are of course going to get people who are pretty wealthy at these festivals, it's just how it is. Those are the same people popping big money in Vegas and Ibiza megaclubs. The race comment is a bit interesting to me because Tomorrowland prides themselves in bringing in more nationalities than the Olympics, but nevertheless that skin comment could still be very much valid.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong about the poc and DV&LM and rich folks. They've always pride themselves about being diverse but to hear it from a African women really put it into perspective of just how diverse it is in her view. She was pretty awkward so I can see where she was coming from. She stayed in her tent for most of the morning before heading out because she's never been to something like TL. If I were to go to TL by myself, I would be quite uncomfortable and awkward because I know for a fact that there are not alot of Hmong people who go to TL. I can see myself repeating what she was saying, "there's not many people here who look like me."

But later on in the film, many people showed her love and she opened up more! The power of music and PLUR really shined later and I loved it when that happened! It just goes to show that you don't necessarily need people who look like you to feel comfortable because for these festivals, color, race, culture, ethnicity, are put to the side. They are there to unwind, let loose, and enjoy life!

I know that DV&LM are the mainpoints of TL but it would have made the doc better if they interviewed and showed other mainstage DJs like their recent doc that was on YT and now on Netflix. They showed Yves V and.... that was the only one they showed before I shut it off lol (not because of Yves V but because it was dragging along too long).

There will always be alot of rich folks going to these huge festivals. I just didn't think that the doc would focus so much on people who are well-established themselves. As far as I watched, there wasn't a person who was middle class or lower class. They made it seemed like only people who were well off were the only ones who were able to go to TL. Maybe in episode 4 they probably delved deeper into people who weren't rich or well-off but I couldn't waste more of my Saturday waiting for it lol. There were probably 50% of the people shown that were well-off and the others barely had any of their backgrounds shown.

I already know how awesome TL is and that doc didn't detract me from it! It's THE World Festival for EDM fans and ravers. For newer fans, I can see how it would discourage people from going to it. Especially people who aren't wealthy and a poc. For those folks, I would recommend Coachella or Lollapalooza because of their variety of music.

Aomber

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong about the poc and DV&LM and rich folks. They've always pride themselves about being diverse but to hear it from a African women really put it into perspective of just how diverse it is in her view. She was pretty awkward so I can see where she was coming from. She stayed in her tent for most of the morning before heading out because she's never been to something like TL. If I were to go to TL by myself, I would be quite uncomfortable and awkward because I know for a fact that there are not alot of Hmong people who go to TL. I can see myself repeating what she was saying, "there's not many people here who look like me."

But later on in the film, many people showed her love and she opened up more! The power of music and PLUR really shined later and I loved it when that happened! It just goes to show that you don't necessarily need people who look like you to feel comfortable because for these festivals, color, race, culture, ethnicity, are put to the side. They are there to unwind, let loose, and enjoy life!
That's definitely something you get at these electronic music events. Even at the variety festivals, as much as I love rock music, hip hop, things like that, there's a certain energy and love at the electronic dance music stage that isn't quite captured at the others. That's great to hear she ended up having a great time, I love hearing about stuff like that. Only semi related but I went to EDC Vegas alone and didn't have quite as much success, I felt that too many people were there for the wrong reasons and couldn't really vibe with it. However I did meet enough cool people to make the experience worthwhile and enjoyable :) but I felt Tomorrowland had such a nicer community of people... And people go there for the music, you have to REALLY want to go to Tomorrowland because of how fast it sells out.

In fact I had this one chick at my university who I discovered over time was into EDM basically just for the partying, drugs, etc, and wasn't really a nice person overall unfortunately. One day she asked me how to get Tomorrowland tickets and I wouldn't tell her, that festival doesn't need those sort of people.
I know that DV&LM are the mainpoints of TL but it would have made the doc better if they interviewed and showed other mainstage DJs like their recent doc that was on YT and now on Netflix. They showed Yves V and.... that was the only one they showed before I shut it off lol (not because of Yves V but because it was dragging along too long).
They should have shown an interview with Maarten Vorwerk – THEN I'd be interested. Lawlawlawl

I already know how awesome TL is and that doc didn't detract me from it! It's THE World Festival for EDM fans and ravers. For newer fans, I can see how it would discourage people from going to it. Especially people who aren't wealthy and a poc. For those folks, I would recommend Coachella or Lollapalooza because of their variety of music.
Yeah it's very unlikely I'll go to Tomorrowland in the foreseeable future just because my financial priority is on hitting one of those big variety music festivals as I've diversified my interests quite a bit. But I'll be back when the opportunity arises, especially since TomorrowWorld isn't happening anymore

Yeah, they sellout of tickets fast so people who saved up for it better be willing to refresh their pages until tickets are available lol. Sucks about that girl you mentioned :( I think that's too common for every festival but is really obvious when it comes to EDM festivals. "I just want to party and get fucked up fam! Let's get tickets for this or that." I've heard many people say that during convos about going to these festivals. You need people who really want to go there for the vibe and the love for the music. I don't think my two best friends would even go to these festivals if it ain't for drugs and the chances to get laid is increased....

If people want films about EDM Festivals, I wouldn't recommend what I watched lol. It's too long, loses focus because of how many people they tried to fit in, no coverage of other artists besides DV&LM. I still think Under The Electric Sky is one of the better EDM docs out there for modern EDM. There are older films that I need to watch on YT or search the webs for these older films. I love watching how things come to and why they are relevant now. I've heard good things about Idris Elba's film (I was also surprised to learn that he was/is a DJ! Along with comedian Russell Peters lol) and I want to find a better quality version of his film.

Aomber

Yeah, they sellout of tickets fast so people who saved up for it better be willing to refresh their pages until tickets are available lol. Sucks about that girl you mentioned :( I think that's too common for every festival but is really obvious when it comes to EDM festivals. "I just want to party and get fucked up fam! Let's get tickets for this or that." I've heard many people say that during convos about going to these festivals. You need people who really want to go there for the vibe and the love for the music. I don't think my two best friends would even go to these festivals if it ain't for drugs and the chances to get laid is increased....
She told me she stayed at the mainstage the entire 3 days of Ultra and her favorite act was Tiesto when eric prydz and deadmau5 and a lot of other great names had performed mainstage that year. When I was at EDC I met some people who literally didn't know a single other name other than Tiesto. Which is fine if you're genuinely curious about the music but these people were clearly there just to get fucking slammed. You'll be hard pressed to find that sort of nonsense at Tomorrowland, sure it exists but it's definitely not as obvious, and being in Europe definitely helps.

Under the electric sky is probably one of the better ones, but that said I found it to be over the top corny at some points

cdyhybrid

I dunno why you'd even go to EDC just to get fucked up. It's too damn hot for that lol. I think I had one drink at the speedway the entire weekend.

Aomber

I dunno why you'd even go to EDC just to get fucked up. It's too damn hot for that lol. I think I had one drink at the speedway the entire weekend.
The people who do are the people who think beer is a supplement for water. At EDMBiz the head of health services of EDC Vegas said this is quite a common problem.

cdyhybrid

The people who do are the people who think beer is a supplement for water. At EDMBiz the head of health services of EDC Vegas said this is quite a common problem.
I dunno how people do it. I bought a Camelbak for EDC and drank more water out of that than I could have ever imagined. Maybe I'm just getting old 😝

Oxn

Only semi related but I went to EDC Vegas alone and didn't have quite as much success, I felt that too many people were there for the wrong reasons and couldn't really vibe with it. However I did meet enough cool people to make the experience worthwhile and enjoyable :) but I felt Tomorrowland had such a nicer community of people... And people go there for the music, you have to REALLY want to go to Tomorrowland because of how fast it sells out.

Speaking of this. Since im getting older, no one wants to go to festivals or clubs anymore. At a point i will really need to get over my fear of going to a festival alone. Let me know your experience.

I have seriously considered it, but my main fear is that I cant vibe with anyone and become awkward. I will become too aware and definitely will need to get messed up to feel comfortable.

And the weird thing is that when I do go to festivals or club with my friend, i tend to just ignore them and get in my own zone for a few hours.

I guess its just being really self conscious of going alone. The heat is coming, and I dont want to miss out on the big things this year over this.

The people at these huge festivals seem to be really friendly and really love PLUR. Chances are somebody will come up to you willy nilly and take random selfies or videos. You can try and tag along or you can choose to ignore them. People seem to have lots of stories of meeting new people at these festivals so experience your own. Dress up (if you have the energy for it lol), wear something that allows you to stick out, record yourself at a festival and grab random ravers into it.

Lastly, have a shitload of fun my dude. Whether you are alone or not, at these festivals you are never alone. Just know that there are also many people who go to these festivals alone and have to deal with going alone themselves. You are never alone ^_^

cdyhybrid

Speaking of this. Since im getting older, no one wants to go to festivals or clubs anymore. At a point i will really need to get over my fear of going to a festival alone. Let me know your experience.

I have seriously considered it, but my main fear is that I cant vibe with anyone and become awkward. I will become too aware and definitely will need to get messed up to feel comfortable.

And the weird thing is that when I do go to festivals or club with my friend, i tend to just ignore them and get in my own zone for a few hours.

I guess its just being really self conscious of going alone. The heat is coming, and I dont want to miss out on the big things this year over this.
I go to a lot of club shows and some festivals solo these days. Nothing to worry about. If you wanna just chill you can do that, but people are usually very friendly so you can strike up conversations in line at the bar and stuff.

Aomber

If you're going to a concert or a club show alone, it can be a great time. It doesn't really matter that much who you're with if you're getting into the music anyway, last show I went to alone was Zedd and the music was so great from the openers to the headlining set that I didn't really want to chill with anyone. But that said, I've been to shows solo where I've met lots of people and ended up hanging out with them for the evening. That's always a good time =)

With festivals... You have to be pretty comfortable being by yourself at times. It's not as easy to just meet a group of people and stick with them – logistics get so much more complicated at festivals because as soon as you meet a group of cool people, you have to be open to what they want to do, and that might not line up with what you want to do. I met this great group of guys on the bus to EDC the first day, and after a couple hours they wanted to go to Yellowclaw and I wanted to go to Flume. It was really as simple as that and I never saw them again. What I'm trying to say is you can meet groups of people easily but you have to accept that you might leave them as quickly as you met them. There's also something to be said about sharing the best and worst moments with someone else – it's hard to keep going if you don't have that other person(s) to hype you up.

Bottom line: Shows, absolutely, do it. Festivals... Maybe you can do it, it's highly unlikely I will again. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though because EDC Vegas was easily my least favorite festival I've been to, unrelated to the fact that I went solo.

New Remix for The Chainsmoker's Don't Let Me Down

Hardwell and Sephyx - Don't Let Me Down Remix

Nothing against Hardwell but that remix was probably and most likely all of Sephyx lol. Year of Hardstyle?! Possibly but I still think it's the year of Future Bass.

I see Tiesto do this a lot, he puts his names on tracks that he so-called "collabed" on but it just sounds like the other guy's work. At least Hardwell actually produces his own stuff though.

Anyway, it's the year of some great fucking music because Radiohead's album dropped today and Flume's album drops in a couple weeks.

Oxn

The people at these huge festivals seem to be really friendly and really love PLUR. Chances are somebody will come up to you willy nilly and take random selfies or videos. You can try and tag along or you can choose to ignore them. People seem to have lots of stories of meeting new people at these festivals so experience your own. Dress up (if you have the energy for it lol), wear something that allows you to stick out, record yourself at a festival and grab random ravers into it.

Lastly, have a shitload of fun my dude. Whether you are alone or not, at these festivals you are never alone. Just know that there are also many people who go to these festivals alone and have to deal with going alone themselves. You are never alone ^_^

I go to a lot of club shows and some festivals solo these days. Nothing to worry about. If you wanna just chill you can do that, but people are usually very friendly so you can strike up conversations in line at the bar and stuff.

If you're going to a concert or a club show alone, it can be a great time. It doesn't really matter that much who you're with if you're getting into the music anyway, last show I went to alone was Zedd and the music was so great from the openers to the headlining set that I didn't really want to chill with anyone. But that said, I've been to shows solo where I've met lots of people and ended up hanging out with them for the evening. That's always a good time =)

With festivals... You have to be pretty comfortable being by yourself at times. It's not as easy to just meet a group of people and stick with them – logistics get so much more complicated at festivals because as soon as you meet a group of cool people, you have to be open to what they want to do, and that might not line up with what you want to do. I met this great group of guys on the bus to EDC the first day, and after a couple hours they wanted to go to Yellowclaw and I wanted to go to Flume. It was really as simple as that and I never saw them again. What I'm trying to say is you can meet groups of people easily but you have to accept that you might leave them as quickly as you met them. There's also something to be said about sharing the best and worst moments with someone else – it's hard to keep going if you don't have that other person(s) to hype you up.

Bottom line: Shows, absolutely, do it. Festivals... Maybe you can do it, it's highly unlikely I will again. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though because EDC Vegas was easily my least favorite festival I've been to, unrelated to the fact that I went solo.

I see Tiesto do this a lot, he puts his names on tracks that he so-called "collabed" on but it just sounds like the other guy's work. At least Hardwell actually produces his own stuff though.

Anyway, it's the year of some great fucking music because Radiohead's album dropped today and Flume's album drops in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the encouragement.

There is a Vicetone show in June. I'll ask my friend who i usually go with but if he says no, im gonna do my first solo.

Pretty excited now that i hear it from someone.

Ah, a Vicetone fan. Enjoy the show my dude. With or without buddies.

Just don't let it bother you. I think that tends to happen to alot of people who go to any event by themselves. If you want to do it, do it and don't hesitate. If you hesitate then chances are you'll keep finding excuses to not go (just trust me on that one). Think of it like you are going to go out and enjoy some nice music ^_^

If Hardwell goes Hardstyle, that would be funny. Headhunterz goes Big Room/House and Hardwell goes Hardstyle/Euphoric Hardstyle. Trade one name for another :p

Aomber

I actually remembered the first show I went to by myself. It was avicii back in 2012 – I'll admit that was the one and only time I didn't have such a hot time going by myself. For some reason all these dumbass kids kept asking me why I was there by myself, but in a really judgemental tone. To this day it throws me off because I haven't been questioned about it since at any show I go to (believe me I've been to a lot), usually people think it's pretty cool.

Just don't let it bother you. I think that tends to happen to alot of people who go to any event by themselves. If you want to do it, do it and don't hesitate. If you hesitate then chances are you'll keep finding excuses to not go (just trust me on that one). Think of it like you are going to go out and enjoy some nice music ^_^

If Hardwell goes Hardstyle, that would be funny. Headhunterz goes Big Room/House and Hardwell goes Hardstyle/Euphoric Hardstyle. Trade one name for another :p

I still love how Headhunterz says he wanted to go in a different "creative and artistic direction" and of all the different electronic music chose to make Bigroom.

If you wanna cash in it's fine just don't pretend it's something else lol. I know a few guys who have done exactly this.

Ironically I thought Hardwell was a hardstyle DJ when I first heard of him because of his name lol.

It would be strange since the dude practically prides his fame and success on slow bee hive, farts big room sounds. And to have him transition to harder and faster beats....

Oxn

Well cant back out now, i bought my ticket, and i hate wasting my money.

Edit: listening to vicetone ultra 2016 set now and im getting hyped.

I still love how Headhunterz says he wanted to go in a different "creative and artistic direction" and of all the different electronic music chose to make Bigroom.

If you wanna cash in it's fine just don't pretend it's something else lol. I know a few guys who have done exactly this.

Lol, that happens to so many djs or producers. It's fine, do you boo boo.

Ironically I thought Hardwell was a hardstyle DJ when I first heard of him because of his name lol.

It would be strange since the dude practically prides his fame and success on slow bee hive, farts big room sounds. And to have him transition to harder and faster beats....

I think he just wants a backup if big room starts dying. Instead of cashing in on future bass or another variety of trap he's choosing hardstyle instead, well for now lol.

Aomber

I'm gonna post about this because it definitely has quite a number of electronic elements as is the nature of this band and after all we just love music in here.

I have very little to say about it right now because it's taking me time to digest it, but this is one of the best albums, if not the best, of the decade. Go to your room tonight, turn off a lot of lights, put on some headphones, and listen to it from start to end without doing anything else. This is nothing short of an absolute masterpiece. I was bawling my eyes out by the second song in the album.

7Lmd9Xg.jpg

PSA

Tomorrowland is rolling out their Brasil 2016 Sets Today. Go go go!

Just got done with Cesqeaux's set, good set and with similar sized artists, the crowd was semi-dead. Tuning into Axwell ^ Ingrosso, Robin Schulz, Nicky Romero, and DV&LM (can't deny that their sets have awesome visuals and want to see how good it is).

Top Bottom