• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

mr stroke

My EDC LV tickets have shipped and the festival is next month and still no Line up ?

What the fuck Insominac !?!?!

I guess Insmoniac will continue to get away with it as most kids gong don't know who's on anyway and only care about dropping molly and playing with glow sticks :

you suck Pasqulae

Aomber

My EDC LV tickets have shipped and the festival is next month and still no Line up ?

What the fuck Insominac !?!?!

I guess Insmoniac will continue to get away with it as most kids gong don't know who's on anyway and only care about dropping molly and playing with glow sticks :

you suck Pasqulae
Yeah... I never posted the details but I was very critical of the way they ran EDC last year. The fact that they've been doing it the same way for years now is insane to me, and honestly dangerous at many times. They know their audience I guess because like you said the EDC crowd mostly sucks.

mr stroke

Yeah... I never posted the details but I was very critical of the way they ran EDC last year. The fact that they've been doing it the same way for years now is insane to me, and honestly dangerous at many times. They know their audience I guess because like you said the EDC crowd mostly sucks.

True but unfortunate, and its seemingly gotten worse over the years.

Lets take a look at some of the responses to the "no line up yet" thread posted on the EDC sub Reddit(which got all down votes LOL)

I'm not going for the DJs. I am going for the experience because I listen to metal.

....why does it matter so much that they haven't released the line up yet? Most people that are going to EDC are going for the experience as a whole- not because they will only go to see certain DJs

I have gotten to the point where I don't really care who is playing because the overall experience is amazing no matter what, and the EDC line up isn't going to sway my decision of going (they could literally announce an entire line up of local DJs or unheard of DJs and I would STILL go- because its ED-FUCKNG-C).

There is nothing wrong with it at all. They have built their model around the lineup not being as generally important as the overall experience and EDC

I enjoy getting as fucked up as the next guy, but really? Sad :(

Aomber

True but unfortunate, and its seemingly gotten worse over the years.

Lets take a look at some of the responses to the "no line up yet" thread posted on the EDC sub Reddit(which got all down votes LOL)

I enjoy getting as fucked up as the next guy, but really? Sad :(
I find it ironic that people say it's all about the experience, yet in my opinion the experience was the worst part of the festival. Asides from the lineup being announced late every year, the shuttle was an absolute mess and has been for many years, there's pretty bad sound leakage between stages, the food is mediocre at best, the water supply was available but sparse with long waits... There's really nothing like waiting 45 minutes for water and eating some low quality food when it's 100 degrees at night then taking a several hour shuttle bus without air conditioning. I could really go on and on about the experience. Then there's the people, the crowd – I remember I was at Calvin Harris having a fucking great time at mainstage, I look around me and nobody is dancing. Not a single person, only the people way up at the front were. Two seconds later I had people asking me if I had molly, implying that because I was actually dancing that I was on drugs.

(Edit: To be clear... I'm not saying nobody dances at all. The side stages were better, especially Neon Garden, but I did have some less desirable experiences with that sort of thing at many places)

You know what makes EDC good? The music. That was the redeeming factor. Got to see Flume, Eric Prydz, Disclosure, Pretty Lights, Bassnectar, fucking GAIA. THAT was awesome. So why people don't think the lineup is important is crazy to me. There is no excuse – EDC new york's lineup was announced three months before the festival. Insomniac knows that people will buy EDC Vegas tickets regardless. Insomniac purposefully announces it late because they know you've already made your travel arrangements and can't re-consider. It's a terrible business practice and one that I cannot support.

cdyhybrid

I find it ironic that people say it's all about the experience, yet in my opinion the experience was the worst part of the festival. Asides from the lineup being announced late every year, the shuttle was an absolute mess and has been for many years, there's pretty bad sound leakage between stages, the food is mediocre at best, the water supply was available but sparse with long waits... There's really nothing like waiting 45 minutes for water and eating some low quality food when it's 100 degrees at night then taking a several hour shuttle bus without air conditioning. I could really go on and on about the experience. Then there's the people, the crowd – I remember I was at Calvin Harris having a fucking great time at mainstage, I look around me and nobody is dancing. Not a single person, only the people way up at the front were. Two seconds later I had people asking me if I had molly, implying that because I was actually dancing that I was on drugs.

You know what makes EDC good? The music. That was the redeeming factor. Got to see Flume, Eric Prydz, Disclosure, Pretty Lights, Bassnectar, fucking GAIA. THAT was awesome. So why people don't think the lineup is important is crazy to me. There is no excuse – EDC new york's lineup was announced three months before the festival. Insomniac knows that people will buy EDC Vegas tickets regardless. Insomniac purposefully announces it late because they know you've already made your travel arrangements and can't re-consider. It's a terrible business practice and one that I cannot support.

My shuttles had A/C (and bathrooms) and only took about 45 minutes-1 hour. Did you sign up through the EDC site?

Aomber

My shuttles had A/C (and bathrooms) and only took about 45 minutes-1 hour. Did you sign up through the EDC site?

Edit: To be clear, some shuttles had A/C, but some others didn't.

Took the official EDC shuttle. They first made us wait outside for 2-3 hours in the sun providing water bottles that were hot and almost undrinkable just to get our shuttle pass. Literally the lineup to get your shuttle pass was right next to the tents too, some genius thought it was a good idea to make us wait in the sun instead when it was 110 outside. Speaking of geniuses, they didn't mail the shuttle passes to anyone, this was the only way you could get them, while they did mail the festival tickets. This wasn't even the actual wait to use the shuttle either, we had to come back later in the day to take the trip to the venue, which was about a 30 minute wait to get on the shuttle.

Shuttles often took at least 2 hours, maybe 1 1/2 hours at a good time. I had friends who on the way back took 4 hours to get back to their hotel when they left the festival near closing time. Luckily I knew this in advance and left a couple hours early every night to avoid that.

So... Yeah, I was pretty salty about my EDC experience lol.

cdyhybrid

Took the official EDC shuttle. They first made us wait outside for 2-3 hours in the sun providing water bottles that were hot and almost undrinkable just to get our shuttle pass. Literally the lineup to get your shuttle pass was right next to the tents too, some genius thought it was a good idea to make us wait in the sun instead when it was 110 outside. Speaking of geniuses, they didn't mail the shuttle passes to anyone, this was the only way you could get them, while they did mail the festival tickets.

Shuttles often took at least 2 hours, maybe 1 1/2 hours at a good time. I had friends who on the way back took 4 hours to get back to their hotel when they left the festival near closing time.

That sucks. Maybe I just got lucky (or you got unlucky). The lines to get on were pretty shit (got a lot better as the weekend went on though, and don't think I ever waited that long at the MGM), but I brought a Camelbak so I had plenty of water.

Also, I feel like the lineup thing is a non-issue for all but the most hardcore of fans. There are only so many DJs out there and they have to fill those slots, it would be pretty difficult to put together a lineup worthy of an event of that magnitude that didn't have a good amount of people you'd be willing to see - unless you have incredibly discerning taste. I'd obviously prefer if the lineup were out earlier, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since they usually put together pretty solid lineups.

I definitely take a wait-and-see approach with my local festivals these days though, especially since a lot of them moved to a shitty venue. Go to a lot more club shows these days.

Aomber

That sucks. Maybe I just got lucky (or you got unlucky). The lines to get on were pretty shit (got a lot better as the weekend went on though, and don't think I ever waited that long at the MGM), but I brought a Camelbak so I had plenty of water.

Also, I feel like the lineup thing is a non-issue for all but the most hardcore of fans. There are only so many DJs out there and they have to fill those slots, it would be pretty difficult to put together a lineup worthy of an event of that magnitude that didn't have a good amount of people you'd be willing to see - unless you have incredibly discerning taste. I'd obviously prefer if the lineup were out earlier, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since they usually put together pretty solid lineups.

I definitely take a wait-and-see approach with my local festivals these days though, especially since a lot of them moved to a shitty venue. Go to a lot more club shows these days.
As far as lineup quality goes I can agree with that, I gotta say I was not disappointed with the lineup at all last year. What I don't like is that because they don't put the emphasis on that, you get the wrong people going for the wrong reasons. And let's be honest, they really don't have to do that, like I said EDC NY's was announced months prior.

mr stroke

Probably one of the biggest tracks of the summer. Heard everyone and there mom hammer that at WMC. Pretty big crossover track, seen everything from Techno DJ's to Tiesto play that track.

As far as lineup quality goes I can agree with that, I gotta say I was not disappointed with the lineup at all last year. What I don't like is that because they don't put the emphasis on that, you get the wrong people going for the wrong reasons. And let's be honest, they really don't have to do that, like I said EDC NY's was announced months prior.

is going to be a sad state of affairs once this EDM bubble bursts again :\

Aomber

EDC LV still hasn't sold out when in previous years it was selling out many months before the festival. They've also been on sale much earlier than previous years.

I heard some veterans last year saying they weren't as fond of it as previous years, plus it sounds like people are getting tired of this lineup nonsense.

EDIT: Note that Ultra sold out way faster than any year in recent memory when they had an absolute kickass lineup this year. Good. Insomniac needs to learn from this.

I'm not surprised. It seems like they finally got their moneys worth and just said, "eh.... We've made enough money out of this." People are flocking to different festivals now or they go to their favorite dj's closest shows and whatnot.

I CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO THIS

Fuckin A bros I'm in such a great mood. I just finished college, 100%, forever. Now it's time to figure out jobs, music industry, etc.

Congrats bro. Now it's time for you to be an "adult". Jk

Enjoy it my dude. Network like crazy, stay motivated, and always be looking out for new things to do!

If I could right now, I would buy you a beer or a shot.

Oxn

Wow edc nyc is this weekend, and they still have so many tickets.

They have 3 tiers of ticketing, and they still on tier 2.

Aomber

Wow edc nyc is this weekend, and they still have so many tickets.

They have 3 tiers of ticketing, and they still on tier 2.

They fucked up with the dates. It used to be memorial day weekend but for some reason they changed it. I know a lot of people who would go but aren't going because this weekend they're still at college, myself included

DMczaf

5 weeks til my first EDC!

Best part about living in Vegas is that every weekend up til EDC is so lit. Seeing Chainsmokers, Avicii, Armin and Tiesto in the next 4 weeks

Sai-kun

Banned
It was definitely very unique. I didn't look up the set list beforehand either, and there were some really great musical surprises woven into the set, which had me giddy as hell. You're in for a treat. It was a very unique experience, as you said, and I felt very lucky to have been able to witness it live.

Ashhong

Did I miss a conversation about this show? Because I was there and it was FUCKING AMAZING

It was definitely very unique. I didn't look up the set list beforehand either, and there were some really great musical surprises woven into the set, which had me giddy as hell. You're in for a treat. It was a very unique experience, as you said, and I felt very lucky to have been able to witness it live.

I saw their first tour and yea it was definitely a great experience. Wasn't too interested in seeing it again though. I think Skrillex came out on guitar at my show can't remember

edit: goddamn hearing this Kaskade set bringing back the chills and memories. The crowd reaction when they hear one beat from 4am. So good

Ixian

Did I miss a conversation about this show? Because I was there and it was FUCKING AMAZING
I went to Redux and the LACC show. So god damned tired after all of that, especially due to a lack of sleep on Friday night, driving back to SD Saturday night, and still not 100% from Coachella.

I feel bad for not enjoying Redux more than I did; going on till 3 AM kind of killed it for me since I was already tired and I didn't find the music energizing, even though I liked it. I had a lot of fun at LACC though, it dragged in parts for me but that's to be expected when he has such a huge discography; not every song is going to appeal to everyone.

Aomber

Gooooood Lord mother fuckers I am WAY too drunk to be posting in here right now but I just wanted to let you all know how much I love you fuckers and I love talking about music. Music is love music is life, all is good when music is good and your fuckers are as good as it gets with all the good music that gets posted in here

Much love from your boy aomber <3333

Aomber

Did I seriously post in here last night lol.

ANYWAY I just checked out the new Kygo album. I guess it's good if you like Kygo but I find this album and Kygo as an artist to just be a bit uninteresting. With most if not all the songs he somehow manages to make them all sound very similar and it feels like I've heard these songs so many times over in his previous remixed works. It's something he's been rolling with for the last several years, and in this album it just makes so many songs forgettable other than the hits we already know because they don't really manage to differentiate themselves that much. I'm a bit disappointed in that because he said he wanted to show his diversity as an artist asides from the mainstream sound he has coined, but this could have been so much more interesting. He's a talented guy no doubt, but his songwriting ideas just run a bit short.

Is it okay for background music while talking with some friends on a patio? Sure but I probably wouldn't listen to it in my spare time.

Gooooood Lord mother fuckers I am WAY too drunk to be posting in here right now but I just wanted to let you all know how much I love you fuckers and I love talking about music. Music is love music is life, all is good when music is good and your fuckers are as good as it gets with all the good music that gets posted in here

Much love from your boy aomber <3333

Oh Aomber and how you replied back when you were sober a couple posts back lol.

I'll give Kygo's album a listen I guess.

Top Bottom