• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

So Beatport's streaming is shut off just as Soundcloud fucks up the DJ mixes. Great timing.

Game over man, game over! The bubble is about to burst!! EDC is getting worse and worse, these damn festival tickets are too damn high, too many djs are ripping off of each other, too many ghost producers, etc.

Nah, I'm just kidding :p

Aomber

A&B Acoustic tomorrow, should be cool! Then wednesday I go to california for a week. Feels weird having left college for good

You guys remember Far East Movement? Were they always a Bounce/Trap group or did that happen recently?

Apparently they do Bounce and Trap music now. Need to find some of their songs and see if they're decent.

Aomber

You guys remember Far East Movement? Were they always a Bounce/Trap group or did that happen recently?

Apparently they do Bounce and Trap music now. Need to find some of their songs and see if they're decent.

Just checked out their recent stuff, it's as generic as it gets

Just checked out their recent stuff, it's as generic as it gets

I'm not surprised. They should stick to their pop and hip hop songs instead. I really liked Rocketeer.

Well thats what the lyrics in their song "rattle" said.

I had totally forgotten that they featured on Rattle.

Apparently they were touring with Guetta and Harris these past something years. I can see why they switched up their sound. They've also been hanging out with Yellow Claw and Deorro so you can guess where they got their trap and bounce influences from.

Aomber

All this talk about Flume has made me curious. I've never heard of him so thought I'd see what he's all about.

Stumbled across this remix, which is pretty awesome:

Lorde - Tennis Court (Flume Remix)

Is his debut album any good? May have to check it out before he releases his second.
It's fucking awesome, but don't expect it to be edm at all. His upcoming album "skin" is much more sonically influenced by edm. Also check out his disclosure you & me remix as well as the Lockjaw EP

rbnoble06

Neo Member
It's fucking awesome, but don't expect it to be edm at all. His upcoming album "skin" is much more sonically influenced by edm. Also check out his disclosure you & me remix as well as the Lockjaw EP

Just listened to the debut. It's definitely not what I would consider EDM, but I did enjoy it. Quite a mix of different styles / genres of music. I think I would need to listen to it again to give a full verdict.

His music has definitely peaked my interest though. I'll be looking forward to hearing his new album. In the meantime I'll check out some of the other stuff you mentioned. Also came across the Disclosure remix, which is pretty great.

mr stroke

Line up just hit for the other Vegas festival
Vc75kIw.jpg

1st time going this year, surprised zero big room EDM DJ's. Really decent dubstep/trap though-Bassnectar, Flume, Mr Carmack, Excision, Snails, Gramatik, Keys Krates, etc..

What is the best place for new music recommendations? I was using the Beatport app which had daily new releases on it as well as trending. Other than that I listen to Electric Area and BPM on Sirius Satellite radio. Where should I be taking a look?

cdyhybrid

What is the best place for new music recommendations? I was using the Beatport app which had daily new releases on it as well as trending. Other than that I listen to Electric Area and BPM on Sirius Satellite radio. Where should I be taking a look?
Podcasts, di.fm, BBCR1 Essential Mix, Mixcloud, SoundCloud (but not for much longer the way they're going :p)

Hm, something less Euphoric coming from Coone:

Robotz

I generally like both styles though. Hardstyle and Euphoric Hardstyle. Enjoy.

Also new Pierce Fulton:

Losing You

I like it. I don't really know his tracks and sound but after Kuaga, he's on my radar.

EDC is like a month away. Can't wait to see the live stream again. It's a shame Im missing out on the historic year but trials, tribulations, and first world problems of a college student

Aomber

Yeah I'm not a fan of Pasquale I gotta say, he says some really uncalled for shit sometimes. Yeah Joel says his share of stuff but I don't know why he felt it was necessary to weigh in there. Joel was just stating a fact for his fans who were wondering.

cj_iwakura

Heh, I was actually listening to Night Owl Radio and he was teasing the EDC Vegas lineup by playing mashups of who would be at each stage. Had no clue overall, but some of it sounded familiar.

Damn, that Hardstyle stage will be lit as fuck. So. Many. Good. Artists.

It should be lit anyways. Where would the streams be at? Will that be announced later?

Aomber

Flume will be live streaming the full Skin album today. Can't post details since I'm out of town and in a rush but go check his Facebook.

Aomber

TLDR: I like it. A lot. :D

I'm gonna be honest. You guys know by now that when it comes to the album format I can be pretty critical. It's hard for me to get really impressed by something in electronic music because honestly, most albums aren't that good as a complete piece of work. It's sometimes just the nature of an artist and their limiting direction, other times they just don't necessarily know how to pull together a lot of different ideas into a cohesive story, or are just "fun" albums that are really just a big set list of songs.

Skin, the latest work from Flume, is a rare exception to this. It's been four years since his self-titled LP debut which took a more relaxed, laid back vibe, but he laid out the groundwork for his own little space in the music scene. People started going to his concerts, seeing him at festivals, and started dancing to his music. Harley being surprised by this reaction, as he didn't expect people to dance to this music, took up a more aggressive sound for his follow up sophomore album. He takes the sonic influence of "EDM" and uses it in his own crazy ways, in part so that the music would be more appropriate for a live setting. This album just starts off in such an explosive way with Helix coming in as the first track. Helix has this arabic, mystique feeling to it, followed up by a glitchy synth build up and the dopest fucking beat that just gives you a big slap in the face, combining his pulsing saw waves of old with his newer humongous kickass drums that set the sound design tone for a good chunk of the album. This gets followed up by a soft "Never Be Like You" with Kai's fantastic vocal performance, contrasting the hard aggressive sound prior with something a little more relaxed resembling a similar but cheerier tone coined from his Disclosure "You & Me" remix.

What happens in these first two songs is an ongoing theme throughout the album and is what makes Skin such an excellent piece of work. Harley manages to contrast these tones between songs in such a way that feels natural but in such extreme ways, going back and forth between hard and epic, soft and beautiful, dark and distorted, all while using familiar pop formats but also weirder, freeform formats. "Numb & Colder ft. Kucka" especially was such a defining moment of the album because it displays Harley's understanding of pop music in terms of writing and pairing a great vocalist, while displaying such a weird, twisted production direction that really DOES give you the feeling that the song is really "cold". You have songs like "Say It" which, while obviously more pop than the others, fit in a really nice way, still shining Harley's unique production, and complimenting that contrast mentioned earlier with "Wall Fuck", a track with such a weird, crazy array of sounds that really give you a "fuck you" vibe like nothing I've heard before. I talked about this recently too but there were a couple songs that really grew on me, "Smoke and Retribution" being the biggest example of something I wasn't a fan of at first but really managed to turn around and appreciate. With all this going on I just love how Harley's production is so intricate and detailed, some moments soft and smooth, some moments ticky and glitchy, while having the instrumental & synth sounds complimented so well by the drums, with little moments where each gets their own space. It's these little things that made me appreciate the production so much, all while remaining musically interesting with beautiful harmonies and melodies that feel meaningful. This is especially apparent in tracks like Pika where it's purely about the music, very minimal drums are present here.

There were a couple moments I didn't love or thought could have been improved. I wasn't really feeling "You Know ft. Allan Kingdom & Raekwon", this one felt like something you would hear from Fort Minor, a bit generic and didn't feel like it fitted with the weirdness of the rest of the album. "Innocence ft. Alunageorge" and "Like Water ft. MNDR", while both nice songs, were dragged out a bit for my liking and felt somewhat tedious by the end of the latter. Fortunately this was contrasted by the finale between "Free" and "Tiny Cities ft. Beck", and boy what a way to end the album with the Beck collab, I love how their styles compliment each other in this one, really unexpected from both of them. If I was to be more nitpicky I kind have would have liked to have seen an instrumental track somewhere between track 2 and 5. You have four back to back very heavy vocal tracks and they're all great songs, but I felt like it would have been nice to get a bit more of just Flume in there. Minor quibbles in the big picture though, this is a 16 track album which is pretty ambitious compared to a lot of 9-11ish track albums we usually see.

So far, in regards to electronic albums, my favorite album of the year. Good stuff Harley :D give this one a listen guys! I'm so glad this is good because there's been so much shitty "future bass" now a day. It's good to see the guy who popularized that sound is making strides to push way beyond what the EDM guys who just care about club bangers try to accomplish, pushing his own artistic direction at the same time and standing out as somebody with a completely distinct and unique sound. Well done.

Edit: skin is now available officially go get it

24rbaDL.jpg

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Shit, you just got me so excited to listen to this.
edit: listening now. This is so good. What a great birthday gift.

Top Bottom