• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Aomber

As with any great artist/s, I expected more but like we discussed I don't know music production and they could have used things I don't know of. It's a decent track to me and like other things, I will probably warm up to it ^_^
This one grew on me, I didn't really dig it at first but something about it is charming once you've listened to it a good number of times. I can definitely see why you might not though, it's quite different production wise from other galantis tracks. Also not a big fan of the "woo!" Sample they used in the hook because that's so over used in edm lol

Oh Aomber and how you replied back when you were sober a couple posts back lol.

I'll give Kygo's album a listen I guess.
:D

Sai-kun

Banned
been relistening to knife party's ultra set recently

god it's so fucking gooooooodddd

that LRAD VIP mixed into the Pendulum - Hold Your Colour and M35 mashup, gives me fucking chills EVERY time
p0QHO.gif
p0QHO.gif
p0QHO.gif

(starts at 9:17-ish)

mr stroke

EDC LV still hasn't sold out when in previous years it was selling out many months before the festival. They've also been on sale much earlier than previous years.

I heard some veterans last year saying they weren't as fond of it as previous years, plus it sounds like people are getting tired of this lineup nonsense.

EDIT: Note that Ultra sold out way faster than any year in recent memory when they had an absolute kickass lineup this year. Good. Insomniac needs to learn from this.

and this is the top comment on that Facebook page-

6gc8GZF.png

WTF is this real life?

and this is the top comment on that Facebook page-

6gc8GZF.png

WTF is this real life?

So.... people who buy tickets to watch a fight, go to the state fair, or any festival to watch a specific artist, certain acts/shows, or fighter shouldn't go to those events at all? They should just go to those events for the "experience" and to stop being impatient?

Got it.

I'm glad that I removed my account from facebook a long time ago.

That Kygo album was decent. Nothing memorable and the songs all feature a similar sound. It's good for kickbacks or a bbq with people who don't care what's playing in the background because the people are too busy eating food and conversing.

mr stroke

Lol. Well I'm glad you guys understand at least why I wasn't massive on EDC

If all these kids want to do is drop Molly and stare at lasers then they should go to Disneyland, it's way cheaper

Music>Everything else

Probably my last year at EDC since 2001. Sad the EDC scene has turned into a complete joke

Aomber

So.... people who buy tickets to watch a fight, go to the state fair, or any festival to watch a specific artist, certain acts/shows, or fighter shouldn't go to those events at all? They should just go to those events for the "experience" and to stop being impatient?

Got it.

I'm glad that I removed my account from facebook a long time ago.

That Kygo album was decent. Nothing memorable and the songs all feature a similar sound. It's good for kickbacks or a bbq with people who don't care what's playing in the background because the people are too busy eating food and conversing.
lol I love that analogy. And yeah that's exactly my feels about kygo, could have been so much better.

I wish there were more good electronic albums. At least we get flume soon and I love what I'm hearing so far

If all these kids want to do is drop Molly and stare at lasers then they should go to Disneyland, it's way cheaper

Music>Everything else

Probably my last year at EDC since 2001. Sad the EDC scene has turned into a complete joke
Lmao! Yeah seriously it puzzles me that they don't emphasize the lineup because like I said the lineup last year was so kickass. The crowd would be way better if the music fanatics bought tickets based on the lineup :/

Tomorrowland doesn't announce their lineup before but the crowd is awesome because you HAVE to be a music fanatic to go since the tickets are so hard to get. And they announce it like immediately after anyway instead of waiting like three weeks before.

Ashhong

I went to Redux and the LACC show. So god damned tired after all of that, especially due to a lack of sleep on Friday night, driving back to SD Saturday night, and still not 100% from Coachella.

I feel bad for not enjoying Redux more than I did; going on till 3 AM kind of killed it for me since I was already tired and I didn't find the music energizing, even though I liked it. I had a lot of fun at LACC though, it dragged in parts for me but that's to be expected when he has such a huge discography; not every song is going to appeal to everyone.

Yea I had tickets to redux as will but decided not to go because I didn't think I'd enjoy the sound as much. It's definitely not a party show. I actually think his discography was almost all well received. The downer parts of his Lacc set were other people's songs :p

Kygo's new album is a fun listen. Exactly what I was hoping it'd be...I'll be blasting it all summer

Ooh didn't know e entire album was out. Time to groove

Music>Everything else

Man.... it better not be like this when my friends and I get some decent jobs and free time to actually start attending these festivals in the upcoming future :(

Also..... I need to get better at shuffling. C'mon, I'm Asian I should at least be able to know some dance moves lol.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Had similar feelings about the Kygo album. I was excited for it's release, but it felt very "meh" overall. I can't for the life of me remember any of the songs or beats.

Had similar feelings about the Kygo album. I was excited for it's release, but it felt very "meh" overall. I can't for the life of me remember any of the songs or beats.

I think of Firestone and that's kind of how the whole album sounds like imo. His tropical house is very identical seeing as he is the tropical house guy right now.

Granadier

The album artwork is on point.
unless by icon you mean my avatar

Also that monstercat song is great. Very upbeat.

cj_iwakura

rbnoble06

Neo Member
What type of headphones do you guys use?

I recently bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x. I really do like the sound of them, especially for EDM, but after a week or so I just find them too uncomfortable. They put too much pressure on the top of my head and I'm in considerable pain after 2 hours. Was looking at buying a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770s, probably the 80 ohm version. They seem to be almost half the weight so I'm hoping they are more comfortable.

Does anyone here use them? Are they good for EDM, or good in general?

EDIT: OK, the DT770s are actually about the same weight as the ATH-M50x but general consensus is that the DT770s are more comfortable.

Granadier

I have a set of Sony MDR-1's. The bass is a tad low at times for base heavy tracks, but they are super comfy and have great response.
When I first got them I listened for ~6 hours straight without discomfort.

DT770's are also fantastic headphones.

Ferr986

I recently bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50x. I really do like the sound of them, especially for EDM, but after a week or so I just find them too uncomfortable. They put too much pressure on the top of my head and I'm in considerable pain after 2 hours. Was looking at buying a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770s, probably the 80 ohm version. They seem to be almost half the weight so I'm hoping they are more comfortable.

EDIT: OK, the DT770s are actually about the same weight as the ATH-M50x but general consensus is that the DT770s are more comfortable.

I have the M50. They were unconfortable for a bit but once the headband streches it gets more comfy.

Still, DT770 are a bit better. They have better bass when I tried them.

rbnoble06

Neo Member
I have a set of Sony MDR-1's. The bass is a tad low at times for base heavy tracks, but they are super comfy and have great response.
When I first got them I listened for ~6 hours straight without discomfort.

DT770's are also fantastic headphones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N3WWG4U/

Like those?

I have the M50. They were unconfortable for a bit but once the headband streches it gets more comfy.

Still, DT770 are a bit better. They have better bass when I tried them.

Hmmm, maybe better to give them a bit more of a chance then. It's just that I have a small head so not sure stretching the headband would help much.

Do either of you know if the 80 ohm DT770s can be powered by a portable device? I will probably be using them at a desk 99% of the time, just wondered if on the odd occasion I did use them with my phone, if they be OK or if they would require an amp. I already have a small headphone amp but still find it a bit of a chore to carry around on the go.

Granadier

Those are the ones! Great phones.

Do either of you know if the 80 ohm DT770s can be powered by a portable device? I will probably be using them at a desk 99% of the time, just wondered if on the odd occasion I did use them with my phone, if they be OK or if they would require an amp. I already have a small headphone amp but still find it a bit of a chore to carry around on the go.

The DT770's can be powered by an iPhone or similar device, but you will get better sound quality with a small amp. It's not required though.
If you are worried about it you can find a set of 32ohm DT770's instead.

rbnoble06

Neo Member
Those are the ones! Great phones.

The DT770's can be powered by an iPhone or similar device, but you will get better sound quality with a small amp. It's not required though.
If you are worried about it you can find a set of 32ohm DT770's instead.

Yeah, I thought about the 32 ohm set as well, but they are £25 more. Probably not worth it when these are going to be used as an "at home" headphone 99% of the time.

I'll have a look in to the Sony's as well. Thanks for recommending them and for your help with the DT770s.

Aomber

The top of the head? That's really unusual, I've never heard of that complaint. Usually people have clamping problems with the ear cups, not sure what to tell you about that one though

Ferr986

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N3WWG4U/

Like those?

Hmmm, maybe better to give them a bit more of a chance then. It's just that I have a small head so not sure stretching the headband would help much.

What I did is leave them open using the box (like if the box was a head) for a couple of nights. I also have a small head but still, every head is different :p

Not sure about the DT770 but even the M50 benefit with a small amp for portable devices, but they're still good without one. DT770 are probably the same.

The top of the head? That's really unusual, I've never heard of that complaint. Usually people have clamping problems with the ear cups, not sure what to tell you about that one though

It happened to me too. Dunno if it's something with the M50s but I experienced the same till they streched (or maybe I got used?)

mr stroke

add these pads to make the M50's more comfortable, the red velour is insanely comfy
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Repl...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

rbnoble06

Neo Member

Yeah, after about 30 mins a real burning pain starts to slowly grow right at the crown of my head where the top of the headband rests. Two hours in and it's pretty unbearable. I love over the ear headphones so it's so annoying.

Trying to upgrade from my 7 year old (?) pair of Sennheiser HD215, which I can sit with for hours with absolutely no discomfort. Bought a set of AKG K550 a couple of years ago which sounded amazing but I had the same problem with those. Were unused for the most part and just sold them on recently. Started the search again and first purchase was the ATH-M50x but still uncomfortable.

What I did is leave them open using the box (like if the box was a head) for a couple of nights. I also have a small head but still, every head is different :p

Not sure about the DT770 but even the M50 benefit with a small amp for portable devices, but they're still good without one. DT770 are probably the same.

It happened to me too. Dunno if it's something with the M50s but I experienced the same till they streched (or maybe I got used?)

Yeah I've put them over the box for about an hour now. Will probably leave them overnight and see if that helps. Just hope I can still return them if they still end up being uncomfortable.

add these pads to make the M50's more comfortable, the red velour is insanely comfy
http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Repl...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Yeah I've heard about these for improving comfort. Not sure this would make much difference to the pain at the top of my head though? I don't really have an issue with discomfort around my ears.

Aomber

Yeah, after about 30 mins a real burning pain starts to slowly grow right at the crown of my head where the top of the headband rests. Two hours in and it's pretty unbearable. I love over the ear headphones so it's so annoying.

Trying to upgrade from my 7 year old (?) pair of Sennheiser HD215, which I can sit with for hours with absolutely no discomfort. Bought a set of AKG K550 a couple of years ago which sounded amazing but I had the same problem with those. Were unused for the most part and just sold them on recently. Started the search again and first purchase was the ATH-M50x but still uncomfortable.

Yeah I've put them over the box for about an hour now. Will probably leave them overnight and see if that helps. Just hope I can still return them if they still end up being uncomfortable.

Yeah I've heard about these for improving comfort. Not sure this would make much difference to the pain at the top of my head though? I don't really have an issue with discomfort around my ears.
Yeah that's puzzling because ive literally produced with m50's for 12+ hours at a time. I hope the box trick solves your problem but that's usually for the grip on the sides not the top of the head.

Off the top of my head you could check out Sennheiser Momentum over ears. I have been using Sennheiser HD 600's recently which I find amazing but I probably wouldn't recommend them for the average listener.

So the rain protecting plastic thingy was quite a huge issue this past weekend for DJs at EDC NY. But you know, perhaps the people there didn't care since they were there for the "experience" only.

There wasn't rain and the protectors made it harder for DJs to actually DJ with the sun glare and everything. That sucks for the DJs :(

Aomber

Exclusive: SoundCloud Preparing to Block all DJ Mixes

SoundCloud is now preparing to impose serious restrictions on the upload of all DJ mixes, according to a source with close knowledge of the company’s plans.

As of Monday morning, it remains unclear exactly what these restrictions will entail, only that significant and serious limitations are on the way. That said, the restrictions could include a complete block on all DJ mixes that are not fully cleared, a decision that would impact an extremely large percentage of tracks.

Already, SoundCloud has been wreaking havoc on DJ accounts, with high-profile artists routinely finding their accounts ripped down based on copyright concerns. In some cases, these teardowns are questionable, though DJs rarely have a voice in the matter.

Problematic indeed, but instead of resolving those concerns, recently-inked deals with Universal Music Group and Sony Music Entertainment seem to be intensifying the level of policing happening on the site. “I don’t think the DJs are going to be happy,” the source relayed to Digital Music News last week. “Probably piss off a lot of subscribers too.”

LOL Soundcloud is so terrible now. When I uploaded my remix of Justin Bieber it got removed by their detection software within an hour, meanwhile YouTube was happy to keep it up while the label just monetized it. Why Soundcloud hasn't taken the steps to do this with remixes and DJ mixes is amazing to me – these creatives aren't your enemy and they aren't stealing your business, this is business you're losing because you're not taking advantage of all the amazing work out there. I literally wrote a whole paper about this in my last semester of college.

Also:

morgan_page2.jpg

Granadier

Fuck, this sucks.
They are getting strongarmed by the major labels, and they are handling this in the worst way possible.

Aomber

I've been listening to quite a bit of SebastiAn recently and he has something really special about some of his productions. The vibe it gives you in your body is so different to what many other productions manage to accomplish. Things like that contrast between 0:52 and 0:57 where the kick and clap/snare get more powerful, it's not really common to see nuances executed that way now a day

I wonder when he's gonna put out more music, been a very long time now.

SebastiAn - Love In Motion (feat. Mayer Hawthorne)

Soundcloud sucks. I rarely use it now and it's for the occassional Tritonia and Nice Hair with The Chainsmokers or for sets that I missed. But I guess those will be gone then. Kiss your business goodbye from these DJs Soundcloud.

mr stroke

Exclusive: SoundCloud Preparing to Block all DJ Mixes

LOL Soundcloud is so terrible now. When I uploaded my remix of Justin Bieber it got removed by their detection software within an hour, meanwhile YouTube was happy to keep it up while the label just monetized it. Why Soundcloud hasn't taken the steps to do this with remixes and DJ mixes is amazing to me – these creatives aren't your enemy and they aren't stealing your business, this is business you're losing because you're not taking advantage of all the amazing work out there. I literally wrote a whole paper about this in my last semester of college.

Also:

morgan_page2.jpg

Mr Carmack's got deleted too. WOW unreal Soundcloud. Guess they will die a slow death

its Mixcloud from this point out.......

mr stroke

Tried my hardest to get through that new album twice and just can't get into that "Tropical house" sound. It feels like the "Smooth Jazz" of EDM.

Makes me wonder if people will think of Kygo as this generations Kenny G, 10 years from now.

Top Bottom