• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Aomber

Wunderground Exclusive Reveal: Osama Bin Laden Alive And Living In America As EDM Producer Marshmello

marshmello.jpg

“Bin Laden is still a very dangerous and influential individual,” continued the whistleblower. “Just because he’s on the CIA’s payroll doesn’t make him a friend of the state and he is being closely monitored at all times. He may not be an active terrorist anymore but I’ve heard his music and it definitely terrorised my ears and senses, we definitely need to be weary of this guy.”

LMAO

------------------------------------------------

More Soundcloud bullshit. RAC gets basically all his remixes removed lol

Aomber

REZZ releases a remix of Kill The Noise.

Kill The Noise - Without A Trace (REZZ Remix)

This... Wasn't very good compared to her other stuff. Some of her other work is a lot more forward thinking with some quite interesting sound design. This is very close to her single "Lost" in many ways but just not as good, probably got inspired by the vocals being similar and wanted to go for a similar feeling. With the sound design direction she's been going in I would have hoped she'd do something a bit more interesting with this. Posting about this because I hope this is not an indication of her already running out of ideas, I know she doesn't have much of a musical background to speak of so that's going to be a big deciding factor in how her career goes forward.

cj_iwakura

That was very different for him.

I'm with you on that.

Plus I respect him personally. He doesn't give a fuck. He's who he is and you won't change him.

I really enjoy his music, but he's kind of an ass. He's often very caustic and full of himself.

Aomber

YEAHHHHHH BUDDY GOING TO SEE CHVRCHES NEXT WEEKEND JUST BOUGHT MY FLOOR TICKETS! WHO'S FUCKING EXCITED? THIS GUY

First concert since October :D

Aomber

New single/album cover or something. 99.999999999999999999999% sure it's not a Gaia reference, if that's what you're getting at.

No of course, I meant more so the fact that there's more than one guy here. A tour with the other two like sai-kun mentioned is most likely here.

Oxn

Man, there are so many djs playing in nyc this summer.

The problem is many are playing in nightclubs that require collar shirt and shoes.

I wear those for work, i dont want to wear them while dancing to edm.

Sai-kun

Banned
ive never understood crazy dress codes in clubs. that shit makes no sense to me, and it never will. went to a club once that just had their dress code as 'dress to impress'. like, i'm going with the partner, who else do i give a fuck about impressing lmao

Aomber

Clean Bandit and Louisa perform new single Tears | Grand Final Results | Britain’s Got Talent 2016

As much as I enjoy a good DJ set, I gotta say, now a day I MUCH prefer to watch a live show where they're actually playing instruments and/or taking extra steps to manipulate their own music live.

Also, I'm gonna bring it up again because it's that time of the year. Was sitting out on my patio last night and put on the RUFUS Bloom album, it's pretty great for a chill evening and some background music

cdyhybrid

Eh, I'm not mad. It's just a novelty/fun thing, I don't think anyone is ever going to try and convince people that he's a legit DJ/producer.

Aomber

Eh, I'm not mad. It's just a novelty/fun thing, I don't think anyone is ever going to try and convince people that he's a legit DJ/producer.
Definitely true, but I gotta say it definitely shows how a lot of these bedroom producers suddenly show up on stage with no DJing experience and play full sets

This is why most DJing in edm is a joke. You obviously have the exceptions but really this is what most of it is like, at least as far as mainstream stuff goes

Sad but true :(

But nobody will take it seriously and if they do then god help us all.....

I am legit wondering what his friends will put on his playlist. Should we expect alot of deep or future house with some dubstep thrown in there? Or are we expecting full on big room bangers? Do we know who Shaq has been hanging out with lately?

Aomber

Sad but true :(

But nobody will take it seriously and if they do then god help us all.....

I am legit wondering what his friends will put on his playlist. Should we expect alot of deep or future house with some dubstep thrown in there? Or are we expecting full on big room bangers? Do we know who Shaq has been hanging out with lately?
Idk when he did tomorrowworld he did a (joke) video with the chainsmokers where he got taught to DJ but that would probably explain his music selection

Milchjon

I'm listening to the Knife Party/Pendulum Ultra set at work, and I can't help but notice that younger me would have been quite embarrassed by my musical preferences these days.

Sai-kun

Banned
holy shit that is so fucking bad

like damn, i wanna make music like gesaffelstein too...but holy shit have a little respect

Aomber

That track is from last year it's weird that it's only being reported on now. First I've heard about it too but yeah.

holy shit that is so bad

like damn, i wanna make music like gesaffelstein too...but holy shit have a little respect
I've spoken about this before but my issues with a lot of edm is the inspiration borrowed by artists is creatively butchered. There's absolutely nothing wrong with inspiration, everyone gets inspired and borrows ideas, nothing is totally original. But I dislike it when edm artists take an idea or a song and "edm" it, and that sort of edm is rarely all that good. Kinda how I feel about this one.

Aomber

LA nightclub bans laptops >> http://www.mixmag.net/read/los-angeles-nightclub-bans-laptops-from-its-booth-news

This elitism in the DJing scene is honestly the craziest thing to me. Beat matching doesn't matter at all in 2016, guys like deadmau5, zedd, play amazing sets and use ableton or traktor all the time that does the tempo matching for them. These platforms can also be great for using more interesting setups than just a couple CDJs. "Programming shit live" - does this joker of a club owner even know what that means? That's like when I heard someone talking about deadmau5 live set and saying how he "codes music live". Also if you plug turntables into a laptop that effectively can make that setup into a controller.

Damn that makes me salty. Using CDJs is no indication of playing a good set, there are plenty of "pros" who can't play a good one whatever they decide to use.

Dubfire on his traktor setup >> https://youtu.be/2byCiDOIO7w

Brennan Heart just released his latest album, I Am Hardstyle. That link includes all his tracks and the Spotify version doesn't.

Listening to it right now and it's hot, fam. I've never listened to a full Hardstyle album and it's pretty diverse. Next Hardstyle release for me is Coone's Less Is More.

I still need to listen to Flume's latest (even though Smanthony Fantano gave it a meddling review lol).

Edit: yo Aomber our Avatar's are the opposites of each other. Mine's real and Tori is looking to my post and yours is animated and Tracer's looking to her right. Lol

Oxn

Speaking of this. Since im getting older, no one wants to go to festivals or clubs anymore. At a point i will really need to get over my fear of going to a festival alone. Let me know your experience.

I have seriously considered it, but my main fear is that I cant vibe with anyone and become awkward. I will become too aware and definitely will need to get messed up to feel comfortable.

And the weird thing is that when I do go to festivals or club with my friend, i tend to just ignore them and get in my own zone for a few hours.

I guess its just being really self conscious of going alone. The heat is coming, and I dont want to miss out on the big things this year over this.

Thanks for the encouragement.

There is a Vicetone show in June. I'll ask my friend who i usually go with but if he says no, im gonna do my first solo.

Pretty excited now that i hear it from someone.

Well cant back out now, i bought my ticket, and i hate wasting my money.

Edit: listening to vicetone ultra 2016 set now and im getting hyped.

Tonights the night.

Just had my dinner. Made myself a bottle of pregame, and gonna leave in an hour and a half.

Vicetone baby.

mr stroke

TLDR: I like it. A lot. :D

I'm gonna be honest. You guys know by now that when it comes to the album format I can be pretty critical. It's hard for me to get really impressed by something in electronic music because honestly, most albums aren't that good as a complete piece of work. It's sometimes just the nature of an artist and their limiting direction, other times they just don't necessarily know how to pull together a lot of different ideas into a cohesive story, or are just "fun" albums that are really just a big set list of songs.

Skin, the latest work from Flume, is a rare exception to this. It's been four years since his self-titled LP debut which took a more relaxed, laid back vibe, but he laid out the groundwork for his own little space in the music scene. People started going to his concerts, seeing him at festivals, and started dancing to his music. Harley being surprised by this reaction, as he didn't expect people to dance to this music, took up a more aggressive sound for his follow up sophomore album. He takes the sonic influence of "EDM" and uses it in his own crazy ways, in part so that the music would be more appropriate for a live setting. This album just starts off in such an explosive way with Helix coming in as the first track. Helix has this arabic, mystique feeling to it, followed up by a glitchy synth build up and the dopest fucking beat that just gives you a big slap in the face, combining his pulsing saw waves of old with his newer humongous kickass drums that set the sound design tone for a good chunk of the album. This gets followed up by a soft "Never Be Like You" with Kai's fantastic vocal performance, contrasting the hard aggressive sound prior with something a little more relaxed resembling a similar but cheerier tone coined from his Disclosure "You & Me" remix.

What happens in these first two songs is an ongoing theme throughout the album and is what makes Skin such an excellent piece of work. Harley manages to contrast these tones between songs in such a way that feels natural but in such extreme ways, going back and forth between hard and epic, soft and beautiful, dark and distorted, all while using familiar pop formats but also weirder, freeform formats. "Numb & Colder ft. Kucka" especially was such a defining moment of the album because it displays Harley's understanding of pop music in terms of writing and pairing a great vocalist, while displaying such a weird, twisted production direction that really DOES give you the feeling that the song is really "cold". You have songs like "Say It" which, while obviously more pop than the others, fit in a really nice way, still shining Harley's unique production, and complimenting that contrast mentioned earlier with "Wall Fuck", a track with such a weird, crazy array of sounds that really give you a "fuck you" vibe like nothing I've heard before. I talked about this recently too but there were a couple songs that really grew on me, "Smoke and Retribution" being the biggest example of something I wasn't a fan of at first but really managed to turn around and appreciate. With all this going on I just love how Harley's production is so intricate and detailed, some moments soft and smooth, some moments ticky and glitchy, while having the instrumental & synth sounds complimented so well by the drums, with little moments where each gets their own space. It's these little things that made me appreciate the production so much, all while remaining musically interesting with beautiful harmonies and melodies that feel meaningful. This is especially apparent in tracks like Pika where it's purely about the music, very minimal drums are present here.

There were a couple moments I didn't love or thought could have been improved. I wasn't really feeling "You Know ft. Allan Kingdom & Raekwon", this one felt like something you would hear from Fort Minor, a bit generic and didn't feel like it fitted with the weirdness of the rest of the album. "Innocence ft. Alunageorge" and "Like Water ft. MNDR", while both nice songs, were dragged out a bit for my liking and felt somewhat tedious by the end of the latter. Fortunately this was contrasted by the finale between "Free" and "Tiny Cities ft. Beck", and boy what a way to end the album with the Beck collab, I love how their styles compliment each other in this one, really unexpected from both of them. If I was to be more nitpicky I kind have would have liked to have seen an instrumental track somewhere between track 2 and 5. You have four back to back very heavy vocal tracks and they're all great songs, but I felt like it would have been nice to get a bit more of just Flume in there. Minor quibbles in the big picture though, this is a 16 track album which is pretty ambitious compared to a lot of 9-11ish track albums we usually see.

So far, in regards to electronic albums, my favorite album of the year. Good stuff Harley :D give this one a listen guys! I'm so glad this is good because there's been so much shitty "future bass" now a day. It's good to see the guy who popularized that sound is making strides to push way beyond what the EDM guys who just care about club bangers try to accomplish, pushing his own artistic direction at the same time and standing out as somebody with a completely distinct and unique sound. Well done.

Edit: skin is now available officially go get it

24rbaDL.jpg

Nice write up!

After listening to this album for a week, I like it. Just not enamored with it.
Love-Helix, Never Be like You, Say it, Like Water and Innocence.

Credit to Flume for not going with an all out club/festival album though, He could have easily done a cheesy big room trap album, but never goes there. He keeps it dark and heavy. Good, just left me wanting a little more.

Tonights the night.

Just had my dinner. Made myself a bottle of pregame, and gonna leave in an hour and a half.

Vicetone baby.

Enjoy it fam! Dance the night away. I had the chance to see them a last month but I didn't go because of going alone and I don't regret it (used to have regrets but now I don't ^_^) because there will always be a next time.

Aomber

ok first of all CHVRCHES WAS MY SHIT TONIGHT CONCERT WAS FUCKING 👌👌

I still need to listen to Flume's latest (even though Smanthony Fantano gave it a meddling review lol).

Edit: yo Aomber our Avatar's are the opposites of each other. Mine's real and Tori is looking to my post and yours is animated and Tracer's looking to her right. Lol
Lol I saw that review and I gotta say I disagreed with a lot of his points. It's not a perfect album as I mentioned but man he just didnt get it, basically his critique was on the pop records which I loved. Not gonna be for everyone I guess.

As for the avatars I get what you're saying but wow am I too drunk to comprehend that 😄

Nice write up!

After listening to this album for a week, I like it. Just not enamored with it.
Love-Helix, Never Be like You, Say it, Like Water and Innocence.

Credit to Flume for not going with an all out club/festival album though, He could have easily done a cheesy big room trap album, but never goes there. He keeps it dark and heavy. Good, just left me wanting a little more.
Ty my good sir. Im with ya! I think there was a little bit left to be wanted as much as I liked the high parts. Didn't 100% grab me flow wise. Part of me actually would have preferred he kept it a bit shorter too like I mentioned since it drags out at times.

Ashhong

ok first of all CHVRCHES WAS MY SHIT TONIGHT CONCERT WAS FUCKING 👌👌

Lol I saw that review and I gotta say I disagreed with a lot of his points. It's not a perfect album as I mentioned but man he just didnt get it, basically his critique was on the pop records which I loved. Not gonna be for everyone I guess.

As for the avatars I get what you're saying but wow am I too drunk to comprehend that 😄

Ty my good sir. Im with ya! I think there was a little bit left to be wanted as much as I liked the high parts. Didn't 100% grab me flow wise. Part of me actually would have preferred he kept it a bit shorter too like I mentioned since it drags out at times.

Fuck yea man I saw CHVRCHES for the first time a week before Coachella in CA. One of my favorite concerts ever. The energy was amazing. It was my first non-edm concert in years and it's amazing how different it is. The artist going all out in every song, people cheering after every song instead of standing there waiting for a buildup. So good

Oxn

Enjoy it fam! Dance the night away. I had the chance to see them a last month but I didn't go because of going alone and I don't regret it (used to have regrets but now I don't ^_^) because there will always be a next time.

Had a blast. The set was sick, and the people had good vibes. A few people chatted with me. Once you get going it the thought of being their alone doesnt even exist.

They started really late at 2am. My legs only made it to 3:15am.

Gonna so it again in 3 weeks for Tommy Trash

Aomber

Fuck yea man I saw CHVRCHES for the first time a week before Coachella in CA. One of my favorite concerts ever. The energy was amazing. It was my first non-edm concert in years and it's amazing how different it is. The artist going all out in every song, people cheering after every song instead of standing there waiting for a buildup. So good
I loved that about it, you nailed it as to why they're a huge inspiration for me. So happy to have finally been able to see them!

Aomber

LOL some of these EDM blogs are absolute trash tier websites, with Your EDM leading the pack. I unfollowed their page a long time ago for their shit clickbait and drama they post all the time, glad to see other artists calling them out.

nWTrESE.png

Top Bottom