• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

mr stroke

Damn that look nice and we won't be burning the fuck up.

Curious about this heat you guys speak of. So I bailed on Paradiso this year cause of the "heat" but notice weather.com says it was only in the low 90's high 80's and cool at night?

Compared to Vegas & northern CA, this sounds like Air Conditioning :p

Was it un usually cool this year or am I missing something ?

I really need to see that George theater at least once in my life.......

cdyhybrid

Curious about this heat you guys speak of. So I bailed on Paradiso this year cause of the "heat" but notice weather.com says it was only in the low 90's high 80's and cool at night?

Compared to Vegas & northern CA, this sounds like Air Conditioning :p

Was it un usually cool this year or am I missing something ?

I really need to see that George theater at least once in my life.......
It's a camping festival, so there are no fans, no A/C, limited shade.

Ferr986

Wait, how the fuck did I miss this set? OMG best set Ive heard from them ever. Last year was a lot of melodic Trance and my buddy wasn't feeling so we left, this year dark driving psy/tech trance
FML :\

I liked the EDC 2015 set better, but that's because it was indeed more melodic.

This one is still better than the mess that was the Australia one though lol

Wonder if this means a shift on Gaia's set being even more dark and tech based. Even the videos on display are more about the 2 hooded guys and less about the Goddess.

Aomber

Wouldn't surprise me if they shift their sound for their sets. I thought GAIA in 2015 was too similar to AVB solo when he plays a trance set at ASOT stage or something (not his mainstage sets obviously), I actually preferred seeing the latter since he showed more character while performing.

Ferr986

Wouldn't surprise me if they shift their sound for their sets. I thought GAIA in 2015 was too similar to AVB solo when he plays a trance set at ASOT stage or something (not his mainstage sets obviously), I actually preferred seeing the latter since he showed more character while performing.

do you think? I felt like this set had more of that melodic trance on break then non melodic banging drop like Main stage Armin (minus the cheese of course).

Maybe it's true that the older Gaia set's are more like non mainstage Armin but to be fair Gaia was always on the melodic side (the latest 2016 song is more trancey than last year Gaia's tracks). I think 2015 got a better balance (more melodic and more techno with still some melody) but maybe it's just me.

Aomber

do you think? I felt like this set had more of that melodic trance on break then non melodic banging drop like Main stage Armin (minus the cheese of course).

Maybe it's true that the older Gaia set's are more like non mainstage Armin but to be fair Gaia was always on the melodic side (the latest 2016 song is more trancey than last year Gaia's tracks). I think 2015 got a better balance (more melodic and more techno with still some melody) but maybe it's just me.
Go watch AVB at ultra specifically on the ASOT stage not the mainstage you'll see what I mean. Full set is on YouTube

Ferr986

Go watch AVB at ultra specifically on the ASOT stage not the mainstage you'll see what I mean. Full set is on YouTube

Yep already heard that (another set I think it was better in 2015 :p).

Some parts of the set sounded similar (when he played the Di Stefano tracks) but I still feel like they were different enough IMO (different mood, no vocals..).

He usually plays more uplifting at ASOT stages (hell, the 2016 was a little unusual in that regard).

Aomber

Yep already heard that (another set I think it was better in 2015 :p).

Some parts of the set sounded similar (when he played the Di Stefano tracks) but I still feel like they were different enough IMO (different mood, no vocals..).

He usually plays more uplifting at ASOT stages (hell, the 2016 was a little unusual in that regard).
That's true GAIA's set is a lot more instrumental, either way the differences now are a bit more obvious in their 2016 EDC set.

To be honest though, and this is a personal thing, I think I just don't care as much anymore. Like I can tell there's a mood difference and one's more instrumental than the other but I just see it as "trance" either way. As much as I love trance I think the genre is stagnant and it's one of the reasons you don't see "true" trance as commonly in 2016. That's just how I feel about so much EDM now a day, something being different to me is like, when I see CHVRCHES and one minute they're playing a fucking banger the next minute it's a slow ballad. You know what I mean? That's just me though, I've been moving away from EDM bit by bit, my favorite albums this year are actually a pop/hip-hop album and an alternative rock album lol

L1NETT

the best: mall grab (lo-fi house)
this kid is seriously gonna blow up, also wouldn't be surprised if this style of house gets adopted by larger artists

mall grab – father
mall grab – can't (get u outta my mind)
mall grab – feel u
mall grab - i can't take it no more

similar great aussie/lo-fi/bassy/grimey stuff
aussie underground right now is producing some of the most interesting stuff about

1- DRO CAREY
dro carey - dark zoo (feat. FKL)
dro carey - signal mash

2- MICKEY KOJAK
mickey kojak - move too fast
(move too fast Is tad more poppy/accessible than the rest of the EP which is more experimental/cool)

3-DAZE
daze - give you all (full album:variations on yt)

4- DAN WHITE (more minimal)
dan white - ghost train

the best electro pop/indie dance albums/songs

1- THE INVISIBLE
The Invisible - Patience (full album on yt)

2-OLGA BELL
Olga Bell - Tempo (spotify link) (fun alt pop combining more traditional electro pop with tech house/techno. so good)

3-RAINBOW CHAN
rainbow chan - last (spotify)

4-GUNDELACH
Gundelach – Fjernsynet
(full ep is on his youtube, really recommend it. Couple of great remixes on there too)

5- FATIMA AL QADIRI
fatima al qadiri - power (full album 'brute' on yt/spotify. lyrically aggressive album about police brutality. really good)

my fav electronica/more experimental stuff

1-GOLD PANDA
gold panda - good luck and do you're best (full album) (one of my fav albums of the year)

2-LORN
Lorn - Vessel (spotify link)

3-AMNESIA SCANNER
amnesia scanner - as
super fucking weird, but super good.

best house releases

1-AERA - RUNNING HOT EP (deep house)
aera- running hot (whole EP on yt)

2-KORNEL KOVACS -RADIO KOKO EP(good summer tunes)
kornel kovacs - lighthouse (whole EP on yt)

3-OUER - THE FIRST DETOUR EP (more bassy)
ouer-show off

4-WEVAL - WEVAL (house/pop/future)
weval - the battle (full album on yt/spotify)

5-JUSTIN JAY - MAKE YOU MINE EP (tech house/house)
justin jay - climbing trees
Justin Jay is probably my stand out artist this year. releases have been proper varied, but consistently super listenable/funky as fuck. Kid is the fucking best.

6- AFFKT - BITTERSWEET EP (tech/techno/deep)
affkt - astronauts
full ep on yt

7 - FROMDROPTILLDAWN - EARTHQUAKE (g-house)
fromdroptilldawn - earthquake

8 - BILLY KENNY - RON DAT (deep house/g-house)

9- DENNIS FERRER -RIGHT THING

10- EARLY & KOFI - SURE THING

11- riggles - slick like oil (groovy fucking house)

12- books - stoned love (house/disco)

13 - TENSNAKE - DESIRE EP

14-KOLSCH -DOGMA EP dogma 1 is song of the year so far

15 - JORIS VOORN - THIS STORY UNTIL NOW EP
dawn (green mix)/look fake obviously

mi fav future/future-y stuff/other weird shit

1 - DIEMANTLE - WAY I FEEL (garage/g-house sorta)

2 - SUPER MAGIC HATS - TRANSPOSE
ambient/downtempo/idk
(full ep on soundcloud)

3 - SWICK - STAMINA EP
swick-all the way (future/hip-hop/bass)

4 - GANZ - GAOBEAR ft. Dusty (grime/bass)

5 - BRNFKD - Self Titled EP
BRNFKD Ft. Camille Michelle Gray - Sixteen

6 - myrne, graves - tiger blood (trap/future)

7 - tarro - solus (future)

8- boyboy- boy

9- Fred V & Grafix - Oxygen (second full length album). bit baggy but it good

They've been beefing on Twitter.

Lol.

I have to look this up now.

Edit: musical prowess aside..... Those two both have put something on their heads before so..... Eh? I did enjoy Joel mentioning how Dotcom didn't work so he had to change it to Marshmello. Joel is a savage regardless :p

Aomber

Lol.

I have to look this up now.

Edit: musical prowess aside..... Those two both have put something on their heads before so..... Eh? I did enjoy Joel mentioning how Dotcom didn't work so he had to change it to Marshmello. Joel is a savage regardless :p

I think the argument Joel is making is that Dotcom copied him, basically.

I'm neutral about it. Could argue that Joel copied Daft Punk.

EDIT: I'll also add - Steve Duda, his best friend, made a point about him. >> https://youtu.be/u3Gqj1MURco?t=8m46s

I think the argument Joel is making is that Dotcom copied him, basically.

I'm neutral about it. Could argue that Joel copied Daft Punk.

EDIT: I'll also add - Steve Duda, his best friend, made a point about him. >> https://youtu.be/u3Gqj1MURco?t=8m46s

People copy off of each other all the time tho, Joel. It's all or most for marketing anyways. The same when he was talking about AVB and playing real trance. Dude stays relevant by making new music and stays more relevant due to trash talking. Winning formula for Joel.

I for one enjoy his antics and trolling. Provides for some decent entertainment.

Aomber

This is an important set I think people should check out. Was the first year they had a few women playing mainstage at EDC LV, Alison Wonderland being one of them. You can hear her full set in HD video below :D

Alison Wonderland - EDC Las Vegas 2016 - Full Set (Official Video)

People copy off of each other all the time tho, Joel. It's all or most for marketing anyways. The same when he was talking about AVB and playing real trance. Dude stays relevant by making new music and stays more relevant due to trash talking. Winning formula for Joel.

I for one enjoy his antics and trolling. Provides for some decent entertainment.

He is super entertaining I'll give him that haha. It's funny you mention copying though because I will say if you go back to 7:15 in that video he basically says "the more I learn about EDM the more stupid I think it is" and I think he puts it a bit more harshly than I would but I don't think he explained it that well. The reason I can understand his saltiness is because like, what he's really trying to say is, when you become more and more experienced as a producer you realize how cheesy so much EDM production is. Hearing overused ideas, samples, sounds, and structures becomes much more conscious.

This is kind of a "low hanging fruit" example but if you listen to Pryda - Miami to Atlanta specifically at 1:05 and you hear that big "snare"... That fucking snare has been sampled to hell in 99% of all Bigroom House track for the last 4 years. It's absolutely ridiculous. Sampling creatively is one thing but there's absolutely no originality in using the exact same samples every other schmuck uses.

Simply put that's why he hates on guys like Marshmello all the time. I get it. He's a bit more harsh than he should be but it's just who he is. Anyway - I try not to take EDM too seriously and I enjoy the better stuff for what it is but I gotta say when I hear certain things it's like.. You guys can't come up with new ideas? There's literally limitless sound design ideas you can come up with and people just rehash the same ones thousands of times. Joel once literally smacked his own naked ass into a microphone and used that as a clap for christ's sake, you can literally sample anything. I could ramble a lot about the technical, production side of things, but I won't talk about it in this thread

EDIT: While I'm not a huge fan of his music he puts on a pretty good set :D Marshmello | EDC Las Vegas 2016 (FULL LIVE-SET) [TRACKLIST IN THE DESCRIPTION]

23qwerty

Way better than his recent remix for Calvin Harris as well as his new single "Candy"

Call My Name (Dillon Francis Remix)

hoo boy what a 30 second preview that is...

fuck soundcloud has gone to shit lately

maaan you don't like marshmello's music?

this vid tho.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKzLoZFz8PE

teQhkrf.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Aomber

hoo boy what a 30 second preview that is...

fuck soundcloud has gone to shit lately

maaan you don't like marshmello's music?

this vid tho.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKzLoZFz8PE

teQhkrf.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Really? That's weird, there's no 30 second preview for me, I can hear the full track. Must depend on your location. But I agree those previews are awful.

Lol YouTube comments. But yeah I've listened to a substantial amount of his work, I've tried to cause I see a lot of people like him, but it's not really my thing. To be honest though I also just don't think he does anything different to any other trap artist so it's not really interesting to me.

23qwerty

I'm not gonna go out and say that Marshmello is super unique or anything but I just feel that what he makes is just really happy sounding and works really well. Can't say the same for most trap artists.

This is an important set I think people should check out. Was the first year they had a few women playing mainstage at EDC LV, Alison Wonderland being one of them. You can hear her full set in HD video below :D

He is super entertaining I'll give him that haha. It's funny you mention copying though because I will say if you go back to 7:15 in that video he basically says "the more I learn about EDM the more stupid I think it is" and I think he puts it a bit more harshly than I would but I don't think he explained it that well. The reason I can understand his saltiness is because like, what he's really trying to say is, when you become more and more experienced as a producer you realize how cheesy so much EDM production is. Hearing overused ideas, samples, sounds, and structures becomes much more conscious.

This is kind of a "low hanging fruit" example but if you listen to Pryda - Miami to Atlanta specifically at 1:05 and you hear that big "snare"... That fucking snare has been sampled to hell in 99% of all Bigroom House track for the last 4 years. It's absolutely ridiculous. Sampling creatively is one thing but there's absolutely no originality in using the exact same samples every other schmuck uses.

Simply put that's why he hates on guys like Marshmello all the time. I get it. He's a bit more harsh than he should be but it's just who he is. Anyway - I try not to take EDM too seriously and I enjoy the better stuff for what it is but I gotta say when I hear certain things it's like.. You guys can't come up with new ideas? There's literally limitless sound design ideas you can come up with and people just rehash the same ones thousands of times. Joel once literally smacked his own naked ass into a microphone and used that as a clap for christ's sake, you can literally sample anything. I could ramble a lot about the technical, production side of things, but I won't talk about it in this thread

EDIT: While I'm not a huge fan of his music he puts on a pretty good set :D Marshmello | EDC Las Vegas 2016 (FULL LIVE-SET) [TRACKLIST IN THE DESCRIPTION]

Breh, she's coming to Summer Set (at MN's next door neighbor WI, BOOOOO WI BOOOOOO!). I do have the funds for one day. I might go see her set and Marshmello. I think they all play on a Sunday with Skrillex headlining on Sunday. Her set during Ultra was sick. The crowd sucks :( I think they also had a couple girl producers af EDC wasteLAND 2016! That's cool as fuuuuck.

My data sucks and I don't have access to decent wifi but I will check out that vid of Joel and Steve when I get home after the weekend.

I'm not gonna go out and say that Marshmello is super unique or anything but I just feel that what he makes is just really happy sounding and works really well. Can't say the same for most trap artists.

I don't know much about his music but based on Alone it seems that way. With Trap having a couple of different backgrounds, it is a nice change of pace. I can say that Marshmello should be classified as Future Bass just due to how happy and upbeat Alone sounds. Maybe Chill Trap,, but that is a huge maybe.

Edit: has anybody checked out Yellow Claw's Blood For Mercy Remixed Mixtape yesterday?

mr stroke

L]

Alison is such a great producer but a lousy DJ(from the times Ive seen her). She got on the mic every 10mins to scream something, then literally got on the mic to ask if people wanted "to hear a new demo" WTF REALLY? JUST PLAY THE FUCKING MUSIC?!?!

Then she dropped pjanoo half way into a trap set? LOL

Aomber

Alison is such a great producer but a lousy DJ(from the times Ive seen her). She got on the mic every 10mins to scream something, then literally got on the mic to ask if people wanted "to hear a new demo" WTF REALLY? JUST PLAY THE FUCKING MUSIC?!?!

Then she dropped pjanoo half way into a trap set? LOL

Admittedly a bit of a weird set lol

I gotz dat new Coone for y'all. Fresh off his upcoming album.

Black Submarine

I like it. I don't particularly know how Hardstyle sounded back then but this is definitely different compared to how Hardstyle sounds like now mainstream-wise.

Top Bottom