• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

I don't really care for the music and the video really rubs me the wrong way. They could have handled the subject of the video a lot better but it just comes across as them saying the artists depicted are phonies and have absolutely no talent.
Funny you say that, Deadmau5 commented on that video to say that it was the most true thing ever said about modern day music. In short, they ARE phonies. At least they're good at it, I guess.

There's quite a cool DJ/Producer from Durban called Veranda Panda. He just released his first album entitled Colours. I don't know if any of you will enjoy it but its free and I really like his sound. I'll provide a download link and a listen link for anyone interested.

Download: Veranda Panda - Colours [Full Album]

Listen: Veranda Panda - Colours [Listen]

Hope some of you enjoy it. He's probably the first real producer to make it this far coming out of Durban.

It's good but I don't like the reggae vocals in some of the songs. I do really enjoy the violin/DnB combo though. Pretty unique.
Exactly the same for me. I don't like the vocals in a lot of his songs. Its so, so awesome when he plays live though. He plays a cool mixture of dnb, tech, progressive house and deep house with the violin. So amazing.

the_jiggler

Neo Member
Funny you say that, Deadmau5 commented on that video to say that it was the most true thing ever said about modern day music. In short, they ARE phonies. At least they're good at it, I guess.

I didn't say it wasn't true, I just said they didn't handle it correctly. Also, just because deadmau5 says something, doesn't automatically make it 100% correct.

I didn't say it wasn't true, I just said they didn't handle it correctly. Also, just because deadmau5 says something, doesn't automatically make it 100% correct.
I know it isn't true just because Deadmau5 says it was, but he was essentially the subject of the video. The video may have been made in bad taste but it conveyed the right message. And when an artist who is under scrutiny in the video comments to say how true it is, you have to wonder.

vikki

I know it isn't true just because Deadmau5 says it was, but he was essentially the subject of the video. The video may have been made in bad taste but it conveyed the right message. And when an artist who is under scrutiny in the video comments to say how true it is, you have to wonder.

If I believed Deadmau5 was just one of those button pushers then maybe the video would hold some weight, but, even though he is one of the subjects in the video, he is not how he is portrayed. Sure there is some truth in what is said in the video, but more often than not it is the EDM community, Fans/Producers/DJs calling out other DJs on their BS.

For what is portrayed in the video to be true in the industry then all DJs represented should be interchangeable with other headlining DJs, but you can't do that. You wouldn't see Carl Cox or Paul Van Dyk thrown in that video, because then what they said would be laughable.

Live acts have always felt more entitled than DJs, even when DJs such as Deadmau5 produce a portion of the music they play.

I actually don't mind the video that much, it's something that has been said for a long time, and I love the idea that some of the people portrayed in that video would take offense. Clearly Deadmau5 thought it was funny, i'm sure a few others would laugh, but the ones who are not laughing are probably the worst offenders.

Ominym

Banned
For what it's worth, I'm sure deadmau5 got the spotlight in that after his 'We all push play' rant a few months ago. Not to say that Goldfish wasn't sniping a bit with the video, but I can somewhat understand why they might feel "holier than thou" given their incorporation of live instrumentation in their sets.

Anyway, on to music.

The fact that Overwerk just gives stuff like this away is criminal. He's so talented.

Overwerk - Matter

Also, have any of you had the chance to listen to Kanye West's new album Yeezus? Has like two or three songs produced by Daft Punk. Haven't had the chance to check it out yet.

vikki

So I was at my parents house last weekend and got a chance to look through some of my stuff in their basement. I found my massive collection of CDs, 4 1/2 years doing an EDM show on a local radio station. I took some binders of CDs with me and I was nostalgia-ing big time so I wanted to share some of the stuff I found.

Sedat The Turkish Avenger - Genesis

Terry Ferminal - Deep Inside

Pig & Dan - Sly Detector

I also recently saw a Scion commercial with an original work from Jeesh. He makes some pretty sweet tracks, so does This Guy. They are so similar that at first, when I heard the commercial, I thought it was Pogo.

Finally I'll post something relatively new because everyone likes new and FREE!!

I like TheFatRat

vikki

Who was the first to start that minimal drop thing? I feel like Sandro Silva & Quintino did with Epic. LRAD seemed to really boost that style into the mainstream though. A lot of songs seem to be doing it now.

One a side note I love the Hardwell mashup of Epic and Changed the way you kissed me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laAzyTNQ23E

I think Silva and Quintino can be, at least, partially credited for the minimal drop's return to relevance. 'Epic' is almost two years old, but I hadn't noticed the wide use of the minimal drop until this past year. I think it's safe to say that Epic's drop is the most talked about minimal drop right now, no thanks to Will.I.Am.

Saw this on a blog and thought it was cool

mr stroke

report from first day of EDC Vegas (AFAIK its being steamed on Sirius live, if anyone cares to listen )

szm3Zbv.jpg

Main stage

ICAHy6i.jpg

-Amazing production, mainstage is one of the best I have ever seen in 20 years of festivals, great lighting and props, looks like something from TomorrowLand, and better than Ultra Miami
-Loco Dice was on point and murdered the techno stage
-Riche Hawtin was good as always, wicked banging techno
-Datsik laid down a great set of dubstep(this coming from a non dubstep fan)
-18 year old girls everywhere in underwear and thongs LOL

time for sleep

awaiting night two-Cox, Adam Beyer, Eric Prydz, Dog Blood and John Digweed :p

the_jiggler

Neo Member
-Amazing production, mainstage is one of the best I have ever seen in 20 years of festivals, great lighting and props, looks like something from TomorrowLand, and better than Ultra Miami

That's it, all of my money saved is going to edc. Looks like top ramen will be on the menu for a LONG time.

Deadly

Out of my group of friends who really dig electronic music, none of them really know Andrew Rayel. I hope some of you do. If not, links to my favorites.
I don't think Andrew Rayel has been big for very long. All his songs are pretty recent but goddamn are they good. Although I do think his style kinda gets repetitive if you've listened to all his songs. How Do I Know is easily my favorite.

cdyhybrid

Out of my group of friends who really dig electronic music, none of them really know Andrew Rayel. I hope some of you do. If not, links to my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8bYq9kr56c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf14yrb7WqM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5-k4GvF_pk

Also how about that killer partial set Kaskade posted last week?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBGgiiSt2hA

I saw him post that on Twitter. I'll be in Vegas in late September but I dunno if his summer residency will be over by then or not :(

I recently found a German producer who after watching a few of his FL Studio tutorials. He just released a new song called Have Some Fun. The vocals aren't great being German and all, but the dirty dutch drop certainly gets me.

DJ JunJoke - Lets Have Some Fun

Apparently the Youtube community doesn't like it, haha. The top German comment is "The voice is really sucks balls."

mr stroke

EDC VEGAS Day 2

Epic night again :)

Night 2 main stage-
no4beW2.jpg

Basscon Stage-

9CHsgPS.jpg

Carl Cox and friends stage-

Y8hO7AD.jpg

Ill I gotta say is Carl MUTHA FUCKING COX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

destroyed the Techno Stage, insane relentless pounding. So good!

-Eric Prydz was fantastic as well
-Dog Blood dropping a nasty set of Dupstep/Electro/House

Once again Insomniac came through with an amazing set up. I think we are done after 2 days :p

Two days of non stop partying and I can barely walk......

the_jiggler

Neo Member
Yeah I am so jealous. How do I convince my friends EDC is the bees knees? They all seem to think Ultra is superior but after hearing a ton of horror stories about Ultra, I can't possibly imagine what would make it better. Is there anything that happens during EDC that sucks ass? Nobody has died yet right?

rinse82

Yeah I am so jealous. How do I convince my friends EDC is the bees knees? They all seem to think Ultra is superior but after hearing a ton of horror stories about Ultra, I can't possibly imagine what would make it better. Is there anything that happens during EDC that sucks ass? Nobody has died yet right?

Just send them those pics that stroke just posted. Holy fuck.

My 2 younger brothers are there right now and I'm uber-jealous. Apparently Steve Angello killed Encore Beach Club yesterday too =(

the_jiggler

Neo Member
Does anyone know what I mean when I say I don't care for the electronic artists with "internet sounding" music? A good example would be Knife Party. Or any artist that feels like they are appealing to people on teh interwebz?

Top Bottom