• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

flippedb

Banned
I went to a PvD rave yesterday. Special guest was Alex M.O.R.P.H. Since the venue was so small, I was able to get my ticket signed by Alex, and I also got a picture with him. He had an amazing set.

vikki

Does anyone know what I mean when I say I don't care for the electronic artists with "internet sounding" music? A good example would be Knife Party. Or any artist that feels like they are appealing to people on teh interwebz?

Yes, but there are exceptions for everything. I love Seven Lions, but some of his early stuff would fall into that category.

cdyhybrid

Yeah I am so jealous. How do I convince my friends EDC is the bees knees? They all seem to think Ultra is superior but after hearing a ton of horror stories about Ultra, I can't possibly imagine what would make it better. Is there anything that happens during EDC that sucks ass? Nobody has died yet right?

Tell them EDC is in Vegas :p

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so jealous of everyone who went to EDC Vegas. The next festival I have to look forward to is Electric Zoo and that is so far away...

In the meantime I'm seeing Gareth Emery on July 6 at Governor's Beach, which should be fun.

IThe next festival I have to look forward to is Electric Zoo and that is so far away.
Woah, dude. I'd easily wait this long if there were a lineup that big. Here an international only comes around about once a year, if that. In the past two years we've had Afrojack, Skrillex, Netsky, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Nervo, Alvin Risk, 12th Planet and that's about it. The EDM scene here sucks.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Woah, dude. I'd easily wait this long if there were a lineup that big. Here an international only comes around about once a year, if that. In the past two years we've had Afrojack, Skrillex, Netsky, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Nervo, Alvin Risk, 12th Planet and that's about it. The EDM scene here sucks.

Where do you live? Yeah I guess we're spoiled for EDM acts in NYC, maybe I should stop complaining lol.

vikki

Where do you live? Yeah I guess we're spoiled for EDM acts in NYC, maybe I should stop complaining lol.

Maybe you guys will think this is strange, but I have never really gone to any shows. I've seen the Australian Pink Floyd, my parents wanted to take me to that, and Conan O'Brien, when he was on tour in between leaving NBC and starting his new show on TBS. I have listened to EDM, mostly Trance to start, since 1999. Originally I am from NH so there really weren't any big names coming to NH. Dave Seaman would come through sometimes, but no major DJs were coming to NH. Boston was only an hour drive though, so I did have the opportunity to go see some big names. I just never went. I live in Queens now, so I definitely have the opportunity to go to a show, but I am really kind of busy now, with one child under one year old and another child on the way.

I am curious about the crowds at EDM shows. I'm 29, I wonder if I'd be the old dude in the crowd or if it is so diverse that I would just blend in? It's not that it's not my scene, it's not really my scene anymore, but I used to go to some under 21 when I was like 15 - 18. I assume it can't be too different with the exceptions of a much larger dance floor and Alcohol.

You guys might actually find this funny too.

ZVlmRrX.jpg

I never really went to any shows, but I did DJ at Anime Boston a few times. In that picture, that was the best year I DJed there, there was about 900 people in the room. I think they had a capacity of 1100 for that room, but they didn't want to overcrowd the room so they cut it off at 900. It was pretty amazing.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I am curious about the crowds at EDM shows. I'm 29, I wonder if I'd be the old dude in the crowd or if it is so diverse that I would just blend in? It's not that it's not my scene, it's not really my scene anymore, but I used to go to some under 21 when I was like 15 - 18. I assume it can't be too different with the exceptions of a much larger dance floor and Alcohol.

I'm 27 and I go to raves/festivals all the time. Yeah most of the crowd is much younger but no one really cares, as long as you're there to enjoy the music. The only time I'm weirded out by old people in the crowd was last year at EDC Vegas where there was a 50-something woman walking around in a two piece bikini and her 50-something husband who was walking around in a full pimp suit. That was weird.

It's not great where I live either but getting better, Just set aside some money and go to a big festival once a year. I did EDC Chicago and loved it

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Daga just posted this 30 second preview for a new track he's working on. Can't wait for the full release:

Daga - Random Summery Chords

In the same vein, Roald Velden posted the latest in his awesome line of mixes. Very chill, summery progressive house:

Roald Velden - Minded Music Sessions 014

Tracklist:

01) North Sunset - Memories (Original Mix) [Tiefhaus Records]
02) ID [PHW]
03) Kirill Nikolaev - Last Winter (Original Mix) [Bomba Records]
04) ID
05) Muska - Uhne (Original Mix) [Alter Ego]
06) Gregory Esayan - Sweet Insomnia (Original Mix) [Abora Recordings]
07) En-Core - Nothing (Flashtech Remix) [Neuroscience]
08) Valer den Bit - Clear Air (Jallen Remix) [ESM]
09) Mango - Every Sunrise (Original Mix) [Mango Alley]

I can't stop listening to Eric Prydz's EDC set, such a good DJ. The biggest compliment you can give him is his mixes always sound like one continuous track. I'll try and catch him at Creamfields this year it's been too long since I last saw him live.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I can't stop listening to Eric Prydz's EDC set, such a good DJ. The biggest compliment you can give him is his mixes always sound like one continuous track. I'll try and catch him at Creamfields this year it's been too long since I last saw him live.

The remix of Personal Jesus that he plays as the first song of that set is absolutely mind blowing.

Speaking of Prydz, he finally released Rotonda today. I have been dying to get this track ever since I heard it on EPIC Radio 003. He also released Layers a few weeks back, which is another banger. I hope you guys pick them up and support this man!

Pryda - Layers

Beatport link

Pryda - Rotonda

Beatport link

Durban, South Africa. I guess we both have no room to complain considering we're lucky more than anything else that the artists actually perform. The States (naturally) gets a lot of action though. One day.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Durban, South Africa. I guess we both have no room to complain considering we're lucky more than anything else that the artists actually perform. The States (naturally) gets a lot of action though. One day.

Ah, OK. I've never been to South Africa so I'm not sure what the scene is like over there. I'm sure it'll pick up eventually as EDM becomes more mainstream.

It's Monday, which means a new Gareth Emery podcast!

Gareth Emery Podcast 240

M83 Vs Alesso - If I Lose Myself At Midnight (Tritonal Smashup) [CDR]
Bart Claessen - Chimera [Big & Dirty]
Fussy Boy - Gold [Press Play]
Dada Life Vs Sander van Doorn & Julian Jordan - Feed The Kangaroo [CDR]
Armand Van Helden feat. Duane Harden - U Don't Even Know Me (Michael Woods Remix) [3Beat]
Pryda - Layers [Pryda]
Calvin Harris feat. Ayah Marar - Thinking About You [Columbia]
tyDi - Something About You [CDR]
Sander Van Doorn - Neon [Doorn]
Gareth Emery, Hardwell, Zedd, Omnia, Above & Beyond - Spaceman, Don't Slam The Fusion Saga Tonight (Andski Fucks Your Brain Edit) [CDR]
Luke Bond feat. Stephy - Holding On [Garuda]
Tritonal Vs 7 Skies - Reset [CDR]
Juventa - The Strip [Enhanced Progressive]
BT feat. JES - Every Other Way [Black Hole]
Tiesto & Dyro - Paradise [Musical Freedom]
Shogun feat. Tania Zygar - Find Me [Armind]
Craig Connelly & Christina Novelli - Black Hole [Garuda]

mr stroke

I'm 27 and I go to raves/festivals all the time. Yeah most of the crowd is much younger but no one really cares, as long as you're there to enjoy the music. The only time I'm weirded out by old people in the crowd was last year at EDC Vegas where there was a 50-something woman walking around in a two piece bikini and her 50-something husband who was walking around in a full pimp suit. That was weird.

LOL

I feel like the typical old person now that I used to make fun of when I was 18(am 32 and wife 35) after this EDC VEGAS weekend. We have been going to festivals/raves since we were 15 and now we are those "OLD people" :(

So many young 18-19 years old in thongs and underwear(both men and women LOL)

(some random couple I meet by the Prydz stage)

I encourage anyone into EDM to go to EDC Vegas at lease once for the experience, nothing else like(even coachella or ultra miami) since its in the middle of the desert and the Vegas 24 party/bars

R0hfra9.jpg

gi0G6Cc.jpg

8uNEUkh.jpg

and Set of the Weekend-the big man himself fucking CARL COX

ssHNYKz.jpg

hVpgBko.jpg

XE5tDoF.jpg

Place went bananas once he dropped the "Rage Against Machine techno mix"

My god I need that set, I hope it got recorded.

Time to fly home and sleep for 15 hours straight :)

DJ88

I listened to this passively, except the first transition. Decent mix. The transitions need some work. I did hear some rough transitions really, I didn't mind the song choices though.

Thanks for the listen! Hmm I'm actually really curious to hear what you think makes them rough? Anything that will help me improve.

vikki

IMO He is the next Armin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O91Vhauusg

SHAZAM MORE ANDREW RAYEL

I think that is a pretty bold statement. Few compare to Armin.

The person I've enjoyed the last couple years is Adam Szabo. His tracks have so much energy.

Thanks for the listen! Hmm I'm actually really curious to hear what you think makes them rough? Anything that will help me improve.

Sometimes it's just the songs that clash a little bit, nothing you can really do about that. It's hard for me to really make any suggestions because I had it on in the background while I did other things.

What did you consider when putting this mix together? Just songs that you like or songs you think would go well together? Did you consider trying to make the mix build into something epic or were you content with just a driving beat?

DJ88

What did you consider when putting this mix together? Just songs that you like or songs you think would go well together? Did you consider trying to make the mix build into something epic or were you content with just a driving beat?

When putting the mix together I was just trying to make a relaxing melodic mix that would work in a beach setting, no epic build up or anything. Recorded it way before discovering this competition which main the theme of is a chill Ibiza sunset mix and needed to be 30 min. Since it fit that theme I cut out that 30 min. section of the original hour + long mix for it.

Wes

venison crêpe
The remix of Personal Jesus that he plays as the first song of that set is absolutely mind blowing.

Speaking of Prydz, he finally released Rotonda today. I have been dying to get this track ever since I heard it on EPIC Radio 003. He also released Layers a few weeks back, which is another banger. I hope you guys pick them up and support this man!

Pryda - Layers

Beatport link

Pryda - Rotonda

Beatport link

I adore Pryda. His tunes just ooze class.

vikki

damn that's hot! love the sound of that synth!

It's funny. when I saw Beam in the title my mind went straight to this. Now with your comment about the synth, I again went to that track.

After actually listening to the song, it reminds me of this. I think it's the heavy sidechain compression.

I can't believe I didn't find this sooner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zexVS8nUMFc - Beam ft. Angel Taylor (Mako)

Great track, thanks for the find. In case you missed this from the month of March. Still a bomb track to drive around blasting.

Martin Garrix just became the youngest ever producer to occupy the Beatport top 1 slot. I'm actually pretty proud of him to be honest. I really like the stuff that he produces and I think he has a really big career ahead of him.

the_jiggler

Neo Member
It's funny. when I saw Beam in the title my mind went straight to this. Now with your comment about the synth, I again went to that track.

After actually listening to the song, it reminds me of this. I think it's the heavy sidechain compression.

Great track, thanks for the find. In case you missed this from the month of March. Still a bomb track to drive around blasting.

Love it! Also, I just watched the defqon.1 endshow and for 20 minutes, I actually liked hardstyle. I must know what the remix of Spark is called!

edit: found it, ignore that corny pic used for the video. Even if you don't like hardstyle, give the track a chance. I really dig it.

vikki

Love it! Also, I just watched the defqon.1 endshow and for 20 minutes, I actually liked hardstyle. I must know what the remix of Spark is called!

edit: found it, ignore that corny pic used for the video. Even if you don't like hardstyle, give the track a chance. I really dig it.

Trance, specifically a harder style of Trance, was what drew me into listening to electronic music. My brother came home from school with a Tunnel Trance Force album and I was blown away by it. Spent the next 4 years just trying to get my hands on anything DJ Dean was making, whether it be TTF or the more Hands Up/Hardstyle inspired DJ Networx. This stuff will always have a special place in my heart.

the_jiggler

Neo Member
Trance, specifically a harder style of Trance, was what drew me into listening to electronic music. My brother came home from school with a Tunnel Trance Force album and I was blown away by it. Spent the next 4 years just trying to get my hands on anything DJ Dean was making, whether it be TTF or the more Hands Up/Hardstyle inspired DJ Networx. This stuff will always have a special place in my heart.

What turns me away from hardstyle is mostly the god awful bass kick thing. It sounds so lame and really gets tiring for me. But the trancy sounding breaks are wonderful.

Top Bottom