• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

vikki

Been listening to this last week-

413Oe3h.jpg

sooooooooooo good

Most of Digweed's mix comps are slow builds, but this is 2 hours of peak time Techno/House bombs. Really good.

Digweed is good stuff.

dvdjamm

http://stoneyroads.com/why-beatports-current-top-100-is-failing/

In what has to be considered a hilarious yet genius prank, Swedish duo Daleri had a light bulb moment and released a minute long compilation combining every ‘hard hitting’ drop from the current Beatport Top 100.

In an unofficial way, the pair have declared their war on the ‘EDM’ scene infecting Beatport’s current ‘top’ list for being too damn repetitive and highlighted the generic nature of the EDM beast.

Totalling only 58 seconds you’ll be able to hear the drops from 16 current Beatport ‘top’ tracks, ranging from Dimitri Vegas’ “Wakanda” to Hardwells remix of Krewella’s “Alive” all hilariously mixed together!

https://soundcloud.com/daleri/epic-mashleg

vikki

I get the point they're trying to make. But some people like EDM because its repetitive and similar.

I know I have heard my share of people telling me all the songs sound the same, but the similarities between the chart toppers on Beatport is just too ridiculous. Also, a majority of DJs wouldn't just play Beatports top 10, though I know some have been accused of that, which is also ridiculous!!! Beatport is not the only place to get music!!

I know I have heard my share of people telling me all the songs sound the same, but the similarities between the chart toppers on Beatport is just too ridiculous. Also, a majority of DJs wouldn't just play Beatports top 10, though I know some have been accused of that, which is also ridiculous!!! Beatport is not the only place to get music!!
I get what you're saying. To be honest, I really enjoy a lot of similarities in music from a dancing a listening point of view. Not to the point where they all sound the same, though, as is the case here.

the_jiggler

Neo Member
Hahahaha wow...

So anyway I saw Funkagenda yesterday and he was really good. I don't actually remember most of the set because I wasn't umm, let's say sober, for most of last night, but I remember having a very good time.

Reminds me of a pretty lights show I candyflipped at. I assume it was awesome. I'm never doing that at a show that costs 50 bucks or more ever again.

Toothpick

Martin Garrix just became the youngest ever producer to occupy the Beatport top 1 slot. I'm actually pretty proud of him to be honest. I really like the stuff that he produces and I think he has a really big career ahead of him.

HOLY SHIT 17 YEARS OLD. WHAT THE FUCK.

Sorry but this is news to me. I was at EDCLV and nearly every top DJ I saw played 'Animals.' Such a perfect drop on that track. still cant believe it!

HOLY SHIT 17 YEARS OLD. WHAT THE FUCK.

Sorry but this is news to me. I was at EDCLV and nearly every top DJ I saw played 'Animals.' Such a perfect drop on that track. still cant believe it!
Yup, he certainly is going somewhere. I just hope Spinnin' Records don't turn him into "just another producer" because he definitely has a very long future ahead of him. I was speaking to some event coordinators here this morning and they were trying to decide on a (small) international act to bring down for New Years. I gave them these suggestions:
- Zedd
- Rudimental
- Adventure Club
- Martin Garrix
- Firebeatz
- Schella
- Vicetone

I know that list is missing some big names, but they're either too expensive or are already coming. For example, between now and the end of the year, we have Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike, Nervo, Hardwell, Djuro Trumpster and more. This year is going to end with a bang!

the_jiggler

Neo Member
Yup, he certainly is going somewhere. I just hope Spinnin' Records don't turn him into "just another producer" because he definitely has a very long future ahead of him. I was speaking to some event coordinators here this morning and they were trying to decide on a (small) international act to bring down for New Years. I gave them these suggestions:
- Zedd
- Rudimental
- Adventure Club
- Martin Garrix
- Firebeatz
- Schella
- Vicetone

I know that list is missing some big names, but they're either too expensive or are already coming. For example, between now and the end of the year, we have Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike, Nervo, Hardwell, Djuro Trumpster and more. This year is going to end with a bang!

I would have mentioned Dyro. Maybe he is too expensive already. I assume he would be cheaper than Zedd.

I can't believe how big Hardwell has become. It's crazy to think how fast he's gotten to where he is.
Yeah, it is when you think about it. The first experience I remember with him was watching Tomorrowland 2012 Live when he mixed Spaceman with Somebody That I Used To Know. I'm super excited to see (and potentially meet) him at the end of the year. Also kind of hoping that he brings another artist from Revealed.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me of a pretty lights show I candyflipped at. I assume it was awesome. I'm never doing that at a show that costs 50 bucks or more ever again.

Haha I know what you mean. This show was $12 so it's no big loss anyway. I had fun and that's what I paid for after all.

Anyway voting has opened for DJ Mag's Top 100 list. I can't for the life of me figure out how to vote though; every time I click the "vote" button it takes me to the Facebook app but I can never get past the first screen.

the_jiggler

Neo Member
Anyway voting has opened for DJ Mag's Top 100 list. I can't for the life of me figure out how to vote though; every time I click the "vote" button it takes me to the Facebook app but I can never get past the first screen.

I got through fine. I don't realistically vote, I just vote for the people I want to see most on the list. My number 1 slot is always deadmau5. My number 2 slot is dedicated to my artist of the year who was Andrew Rayel. My number 3 slot is my vote for the best DJ of the year which was Hardwell. My number 4 and 5 slot are for people who I want to keep in the top 10 so they went to Armin and A&B.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I managed to vote finally. My votes went to:

1. Eric Prydz - because he is the best producer/DJ currently alive
2. Armin van Buuren - his live sets are always incredible to partake in
3. Gareth Emery - he consistently puts out fantastic music and is a blast to watch live
4. Kaskade - voted for him mainly for his Redux show, which was great
5. W&W - they have a pretty consistently high level of output

the_jiggler

Neo Member
Yeah I managed to vote finally. My votes went to:

1. Eric Prydz - because he is the best producer/DJ currently alive
2. Armin van Buuren - his live sets are always incredible to partake in
3. Gareth Emery - he consistently puts out fantastic music and is a blast to watch live
4. Kaskade - voted for him mainly for his Redux show, which was great
5. W&W - they have a pretty consistently high level of output

I've never really been into W&W because their songs always confuse me. They start out melodic but then turn into "hard" tracks. I love both kinds but it just doesn't sound right to me when the styles mix. D# fat is a pretty good example of what I'm trying to get at. Great picks though. I just checked last years charts and am shocked at how low Gareth Emery and Kaskade were.

Mine was:

1. Hardwell.
This dude has just been going from strength to strength throughout the year. I seriously think he deserves a solidified spot in the top 5.
2. Martin Garrix.
A young producer doing us youngsters proud and showing old school producers what he's about. Also a real gem to watch live because of his energy levels.
3. Deadmau5.
Even though he tends to act like a girl on social media causing all kinda of trouble, he's an extremely talented producer. Really enjoy him as a DJ too.
4. Zedd.
Delivering some fire over the past year with Clarity, Spectrum and Shotgun, he really did it for me at UMF 2013 and that put him in my top 5.
5. Skrillex.
I've never publicly admitted that I enjoy Skrillex but I really do. His energy is awesome and he has to be one of the humblest DJ's around. When he toured here, he played in a club for free on TWO HUNDRED'S (CDJs). Really cool guy.

My Top DJ of the past 20 years went to Armin Van Buuren. I also really enjoy his stuff and he's been killing it for as long as I can remember. Take a bow Armin.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've never really been into W&W because their songs always confuse me. They start out melodic but then turn into "hard" tracks. I love both kinds but it just doesn't sound right to me when the styles mix. D# fat is a pretty good example of what I'm trying to get at. Great picks though. I just checked last years charts and am shocked at how low Gareth Emery and Kaskade were.

Yeah I think that's what's interesting about W&W tracks. They're invariably hard dropping tracks, but they have a melodic element to them that is appealing. The thing that put them on the list for me is that whatever festival you go to, there is always that one W&W track that gets played all the time, be it Lift Off, or D# Fat, or more recently Thunder.

mr stroke

Haha I know what you mean. This show was $12 so it's no big loss anyway. I had fun and that's what I paid for after all.

Why not-

1-John Digweed
2-Carl Cox
3-John 00 Flemming
4-Danny Tenaglia
5-Skrillex

jambo

1. Markus Schulz - Runs my favourite label (Coldharbour) and radio show (GDJB), love his extended and rabbit hole sets and his Dakota and City Compilation albums are always the highlights of my musical year.
2. Indecent Noise - This man knows how to do it all. Great productions, amazing live and studio sets, spot-on mashups and some truly superb megamixes. Saw him live earlier in the year and it was a brain melting experience.
3. John Askew - Part of the old guard, still playing real trance after all these years. I can never get tired of listening to The Witch and his rabbit hole set from earlier this year really showed off his DJ skills, great, varied track selection.
4. Bryan Kearney - He's really exploded over the last few years and it's been great to follow his progress. Love his radio show (KEARNAGE) and he's always throwing live sets, new tracks and great remixes up on SoundCloud.
5. Rex Mundi - I have loved every single one of his tracks over the past 5 years. He really knows how to push my buttons, in a good way. His track Sandstone is godlike.

Greatest DJ over the past 20 years: Paul Oakenfold - The master. His 1999 EM World Tour sets are still astounding.

vikki

Hmm...

John Digweed and Danny Tenaglia are performing on Governor's Island in a few weeks. Tickets are going for $45. How good are they?

Digweed does some nice Tech House/Progressive House, not the progressive house you're used to though. I would rather see him more than most of the DJs listed in the top 5.

I wont be giving a shit who wins the top DJ spot. It's not like the tops spots change all that much, not that some of them don't deserve it, but it hasn't represented what I listen... ever.

Anyway, here are 5 of my most listened to tunes this year. In no order whatsoever because it's not guaranteed that these are in fact my most listened tracks of this year, but they are some of my favorites.

Neus
Phonat
Candyland
Crywolf
Viceroy

Toothpick

My votes for DJ mag last year went to the DJs who gave me the best shows
1. Hardwell- Beyond Wonderland 2012
2. Kaskade- Coachella 2012
3. Dada Life- same^^
4. Porter Robinson- same^^
5. Avicii- umm not sure lol

This year i think i'll just vote for whatever I've been listening to
1. Porter Robinson- Seen him twice this year already. Loved his sets. and Language/Easy! <3
2. Mat Zo- Just recently started listening to his stuff after that amazing Easy collab with Porter. Saw him last month, can't wait to see more from this guy.
3. Zedd- One of the few top DJs i haven't had a chance to see live but I do love the tracks on his last album and his recent remixes. Clarity/Spectrum are beautiful.
4. Martin Garrix- so impressed by what he's accomplished and so young, have to support him.
5. Bingo Players? Maybe W&W since they've come out with some great bangers this year, and their remixes have been godly.

Tiesto and Armin Van Buuren keep pumping out awesome tracks as well, but they're always top 5 anyways :p

Kinda wanted to include Alex M.O.R.P.H. solely for New York City. This has been one of my favorite trance tracks all year. Could not stop listening to this when I first heard it a few months back.

Toothpick

lol! I notice when a track gets huge, you start hearing other ones popping up with similar sound/feel. Some people just going with the trends :/

I'm also a little annoyed by how every DJ starts promoting / whoring themselves out to get on the Top 100 when voting comes around. I prefer not to vote for those guys haha.

Anyway, here are my REAL votes for DJ Mag:
1. DJ Pauly D
2. DJ Khaled
3. Paris Hilton
4. DJ Rukes
5. Levels

the_jiggler

Neo Member
My votes for DJ mag last year went to the DJs who gave me the best shows
1. Hardwell- Beyond Wonderland 2012
2. Kaskade- Coachella 2012
3. Dada Life- same^^
4. Porter Robinson- same^^
5. Avicii- umm not sure lol

Kaskade's Coachella set last year was something out of heaven. All my friends went to Radiohead and I went to Kaskade on my own. Met some awesome people and had the time of my life. I'm thinking of going to Beyond Wonderland next year but I have no idea when tickets go on sale so I don't know if I'll have the money. How much did they go for last year (standard 2-day)?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I have been digging the shit out of Cyril Hahn for the past few days. He's performing at Electric Zoo and I was so excited that I started re-listening to his stuff, and it's just so damn good. This isn't really mainstream EDM (I've posted some of his stuff in the Groundbreaking thread), but I thought I'd share a one-hour mix of his with you guys in case you were interested. He's got a very surreal, breathy style to his music, most of which is remixes of R&B songs, but they're just so damn good. The Mariah Carey and Destiny's Child remixes in particular are straight fire.

Cyril Hahn - Gotta Dance Dirty Mix

TRACKLIST

Drake - Houstatlantavegas (edit)
Jeremih - Fuck You All the Time (Shlohmo Remix)
Jeremih - 773 (Cyril Hahn 4am Bootleg)
Sau Poler - Reflections
UZ x R Kelly - I'm a Flirt Trap (Cyril Hahn Mash Up)
Svengali - oº&#730;slow&#730;ºo
Mariah Carey - Touch My Body (Cyril Hahn Remix)
Alpines - Chances (Cyril Hahn Remix)
Stay + - Crashed (ft. Queenie)
Mount Kimbie - Carbonated
Cube Face - Tell Me
Ultraista - Smalltalk (Four Tet Remix)
Pantha du Prince - Satellite Sniper
Destiny's Child - Say My Name (Cyril Hahn Remix)

vikki

I have been digging the shit out of Cyril Hahn for the past few days. He's performing at Electric Zoo and I was so excited that I started re-listening to his stuff, and it's just so damn good. This isn't really mainstream EDM (I've posted some of his stuff in the Groundbreaking thread), but I thought I'd share a one-hour mix of his with you guys in case you were interested. He's got a very surreal, breathy style to his music, most of which is remixes of R&B songs, but they're just so damn good. The Mariah Carey and Destiny's Child remixes in particular are straight fire.

That Destiny's Child track reminds me of 'Cry Me A River (Screwed by Brodinski),' but I cant find thee track online right now, luckily I DL it long ago. Here is another one it reminds me of, but not as much as it reminded me of the Brodinski remix.

Toothpick

Kaskade's Coachella set last year was something out of heaven. All my friends went to Radiohead and I went to Kaskade on my own. Met some awesome people and had the time of my life. I'm thinking of going to Beyond Wonderland next year but I have no idea when tickets go on sale so I don't know if I'll have the money. How much did they go for last year (standard 2-day)?
Ah yes, I think his set at Coachella was the debut for his new stage and the Freaks of Nature tour. One of my favorite sets that weekend, and that year probably.

As for Beyond Wonderland, that festival is still 1 day in March I believe. Prices start around $65+fees and then rise (quickly) to $85+fees, so you gotta be sure to buy a ticket quick when they go on sale.

Nocturnal Wonderland for example is in September (1 day) but tickets are already selling for $75-$80 right now, even though no lineup information has been released haha. They are starting to offer payment plans though. Pay half now and rest later.

mr stroke

Hmm...

John Digweed and Danny Tenaglia are performing on Governor's Island in a few weeks. Tickets are going for $45. How good are they?

Any time you can see those two legends back 2 back you should donate plasma if you must. Not to be missed.

One of my top nights ever was- Danny Tenaglia playing a 12 hour set at Ruby Skye SF, started out deep, then got dark, by 5am place was still packed and Tenaglia was dropping hard Techno/Tribal House and kept playing till 12pm :eek:

Legendary night. After that I would never miss another Tenaglia night.

Plus I am assuming it a day/sunset party on Randal's Island? Fucking amazing spot!
(I need to move to NYC)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Any time you can see those two legends back 2 back you should donate plasma if you must. Not to be missed.

One of my top nights ever was- Danny Tenaglia playing a 12 hour set at Ruby Skye SF, started out deep, then got dark, by 5am place was still packed and Tenaglia was dropping hard Techno/Tribal House and kept playing till 12pm :eek:

Legendary night. After that I would never miss another Tenaglia night.

Plus I am assuming it a day/sunset party on Randal's Island? Fucking amazing spot!
(I need to move to NYC)

Yeah it's a day/evening set at Governor's Island (moved from Randall's). Bought tickets earlier today, I figure it's going to be a great show.

calder

Every single time I see this thread I glance at the title and am briefly jealous/surprised that Edmonton has such an active OT for their city. Every damn time. It's even worse than the "lez talk about mechanical keyboards" thread for me.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Goldroom blesses us with yet another of his excellent Verano mixes. As the name implies, this is perfect summertime music (mostly some really good nu disco). I'll just let him do the talking:

Goldroom - Verano Mix 2013 (Download link)

Here's the third volume of my Verano Mix series. I've been pulling songs together for it for the last couple of months, and I'm quite happy with what came together. Its an hour to tell the story of a summer day, sunrise to sunset. If everything is right, this should be an escape, a pathway to losing your problems for a day. Put this on, get your windows down, and let your hair get a little messed up. I hope you like it!

Oh also, the tracklist is below, including time signatures. I love all the artists that provided music for this mix and they all deserve your attention. Go check them out!

00:00 Mitch Murder - Mirage
02:32 The Preatures - Is This How You Feel (Classixx Remix)
05:10 Oxford - Mirage 84 (Neptune Safari Remix)
07:20 Hayden James - Permission To Love
10:25 Dumb Dan - Ele (Jesper Samuelson Remix)
14:55 Follow Me - Somethin' Bout You (Satin Jackets Remix)
20:05 Peter & The Magician - On My Brain (Le Crayon Remix)
22:54 Goldroom - Angeles (Palm & Trees Re-Tropicalize)
27:16 Monitor 66 - Nyx
30:40 Monte - You Should Know
34:37 Owl Eyes - Jewels & Sapphires (Goldroom Remix)
39:20 Cyril Hahn - Perfect Form
43:14 Patrick Baker - Reckless Love
46:36 The Knocks (ft. St Lucia) - Modern Hearts (Goldroom Remix)
51:44 Poolside - Golden Hour
52:48 Little Daylight - Name In Lights (Pacific Air Remix)
54:13 Mayer Hawthorne - Her Favorite Song (Oliver Remix)
57:12 Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound Of Silence (Luxxury Edit)
58:33 Goldroom - Sydney Dreams

Edit: Some more awesome nu disco, this one based on a remix of Smokey Robinson - Being With You:

Dublin Aunts - Heartbreak Reputation (Drop Out Orchestra Remix)

Top Bottom