• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Cagey

Banned
I saw some kiddies walking to Electric Zoo up here on 125th Street in Manhattan.

I think I need to buy more neon for Sunday.

mr stroke

Beyond Wonderland Bay Area line up

qEG5Xtp.jpg

Surprised Insomniac has the bigger line up for San Francisco Wonderland vs LA

too bad the venue blows ass :\

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Electric Zoo day 1 was yesterday, and my god that was a ton of fun. Got to see some awesome sets from John O'Callaghan, Orjan Nilsen, Alesso, and Cyril Hahn (finally got to see him!!). I stayed for Avicii's set instead of seeing Danny Tenaglia, which was probably the mistake of my night. Avicii, as every time I've seen him, was just awful. He's not a very good DJ, and should just stick to producing.

Day 2 coming up now. Hoping to catch Tritonal alongside the other big names today.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
And they can kill you. You can have fun at EDM shows without drugs. I always have.

It's not worth it.

Lots of things can kill you.

You probably have a higher chance of getting struck by lightning at an EDM concert than getting killed by drugs. It's essentially zero if you're responsible about it and not a total moron. You may not be into drugs, which is fine, but saying it's not worth it suggests that there's a statistically significant chance of something bad happening, which is misleading.

cj_iwakura

Lots of things can kill you.

You probably have a higher chance of getting struck by lightning at an EDM concert than getting killed by drugs. It's essentially zero if you're responsible about it and not a total moron. You may not be into drugs, which is fine, but saying it's not worth it suggests that there's a statistically significant chance of something bad happening, which is misleading.

That's all good and fine if you're responsible. But as we've seen, lots of people are not. And doing it encourages others to, and eventually, people do get killed because of it.

Aomber

Electric Zoo day 1 was yesterday, and my god that was a ton of fun. Got to see some awesome sets from John O'Callaghan, Orjan Nilsen, Alesso, and Cyril Hahn (finally got to see him!!). I stayed for Avicii's set instead of seeing Danny Tenaglia, which was probably the mistake of my night. Avicii, as every time I've seen him, was just awful. He's not a very good DJ, and should just stick to producing.

Day 2 coming up now. Hoping to catch Tritonal alongside the other big names today.

I saw avicii in a stadium last year and yeah his set wasn't that amazing or anything. The stage setup was super cool, but the crowd was annoying as hell because it was all teeny boppers and shit.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
WTF looks like they canceled EZoo today... This is unconscionable, I am seriously pissed off right now. I was so looking forward to the final day and seeing Armin...

Cagey

Banned
WHAT THE FUCK. I'm so angry. The lineup today was SO GOOD on the mainstage.

I've never seen Armin before. Come baaaaaack.

Time to call the credit card company and ask for a full refund.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Some of the EZoo artists may be throwing events around New York, so we'll see what happens. I have friends who only got 1-day tickets for Sunday so they're in the mood to go out and rage all day.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Just impulse-bought a ticket to the Adventure Club show tonight after seeing W&W was already sold out. Probably should've waited, or at least tried craigslist for the latter.

I'd take the $40 hit though if anyone really awesome ends up throwing a last-minute event tonight.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a ticket to Laurent Garnier at Output. I think our plan is to go to a warehouse party during the day and then hit up Output in the evening.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I mean don't get me wrong this stuff is tragic, but basically a bunch of irresponsible kids ruined it for thousands. lol.

Yeah pretty much. Apparently the girl that died had taken 7 pills, which probably weren't even pure MDMA and were laced with some other shit. People need to be responsible.

Aomber

Yeah pretty much. Apparently the girl that died had taken 7 pills, which probably weren't even pure MDMA and were laced with some other shit. People need to be responsible.

This is why molly is not a safe drug. I'm sorry but it isn't, maybe in its pure form it's relatively safe but because you never know what you're taking things like this happen. I don't think a lot of people understand that and hopefully more people will get it now.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

Where'd you read that? 7 pills...that's insane.

Buy ahead of time and from someone you trust. Get a testing kit. Don't buy it in the festival.

cj_iwakura

This is why molly is not a safe drug. I'm sorry but it isn't, maybe in its pure form it's relatively safe but because you never know what you're taking things like this happen. I don't think a lot of people understand that and hopefully more people will get it now.

I don't mean to dredge up this topic again, but no drug is absolutely safe. It alters your mood and state of mind, and there's no telling what kind of long term effects it can have.

Aomber

I don't mean to dredge up this topic again, but no drug is absolutely safe. It alters your mood and state of mind, and there's no telling what kind of long term effects it can have.

Yeah I definitely agree with that. I've never taken any drugs, don't plan on it either

Dreaver

I'm not going to say it's healthy, but if you know you have a 'safe' pill and know how you should use it there isn't much that could go wrong. Yeah 7 pills can be deadly, but so is drinking 40 beers in 1 night or drinking 10 liter of water.

Yeah of course it's better (healthier) not to use at all, but there's a really bad stigma around it because some people clearly DON'T know how to use it.

(I don't want to start a yes vs no discussion, just wanted to give my $0,02).

As a non drug user: Use drugs as you must. The minute your use of drugs begin to affect me (like they would have today if I was an Electric Zoo attendee) then it becomes a problem. Arguing whether or not the drug was pure or not is irrelevant. Drugs (for the large part) are illegal.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone heard anything about afterparties being canceled as well?

mr stroke

WOW, thats crazy with Zoo

Still bullshit IMO, If there was a death at a Giants game or a Heavy Metal concert, shows would never be canceled.

Too bad EDM gets a bad rap from stupid kids being stupid :\

Cagey

Banned
Electric Zoo announced sensible refunds -- 100% for Sunday only, 50% for Sat/Sun, 33% for three day -- but let's see if that includes the absurd fees and such that were included in the final total.

If not, dispute time.

Aomber

Electric Zoo announced sensible refunds -- 100% for Sunday only, 50% for Sat/Sun, 33% for three day -- but let's see if that includes the absurd fees and such that were included in the final total.

If not, dispute time.
I think what sucks about it is for all the people coming from elsewhere who booked hotels and shit. Yeah you get a refund on the one day but what about all those other costs

Cody_D165

Banned
Oh. My. God.

http://www.dancingastronaut.com/201...ancelled-two-dead-four-in-critical-condition/

There better be a refund.

edit:

And he can't even play somewhere else tonight because he has to fly out to Ibiza :(

Jesus Christ.

This shit's getting a little out of hand. People wonder why so many people look down on the EDM scene, it's because shit like this hits the media all the time. If you're going to fucking take drugs for a show know what you're getting into...

I feel for you guys who were awaiting that Sunday lineup. It looked amazing. Hope the refund situation works out.

edit:

As a non drug user: Use drugs as you must. The minute your use of drugs begin to affect me (like they would have today if I was an Electric Zoo attendee) then it becomes a problem. Arguing whether or not the drug was pure or not is irrelevant. Drugs (for the large part) are illegal.

Absolutely this. ^

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Afterparties weren't canceled as far as I know. I just got home from the Laurent Garnier afterparty at Output and it was incredible. The sound system in that place is nuts, and Laurent slayed the entire club. What a maestro.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah afterparties didn't end up getting canceled, although BB Theater definitely way oversold the AC show. Waited in line for over an hour and was told it would be at least another 1-2 hours before we'd get in (was ~1:00 at that point) because they were "near capacity" despite hundreds of people in line with tickets.

We weren't really in a mood to wait that long only to see what probably would've been the tail end of Adventure Club's set (someone else was playing after them from 2:30 - 4:00) so we bailed.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah afterparties didn't end up getting canceled, although BB Theater definitely way oversold the AC show. Waited in line for over an hour and was told it would be at least another 1-2 hours before we'd get in (was ~1:00 at that point) because they were "near capacity" despite hundreds of people in line with tickets.

We weren't really in a mood to wait that long only to see what probably would've been the tail end of Adventure Club's set (someone else was playing after them from 2:30 - 4:00) so we bailed.

Ugh, that really sucks. My friends and I headed to Output at 10pm sharp and were able to get in with no problems, but later on in the night the club got so packed that it was hard to move around. I wouldn't be surprised if they turned away some people later in the night.

Aomber

Upcoming concerts...

Nicky Romero this Sunday

Zedd Wednesday the 11th

Tomorrowworld the 28th

Krewella October 29th

Maybe Flux Pavillion early October

This is gonna be a goooooood couple of months.

codhand

BUY TEST KITS, AND DON'T DROP TRIPLE STACKS LIKE AN IDIOT!

It's like lifting weights, you don't start out lifting what the body builders lift. You have to build muscle and increase over time. Sadly, this poor person and many others die because they don't know their limits yet. Now that these events are just getting bigger and bigger, younger and inexperienced users need to be educated about how to handle themselves better.

in no way is poppin molly like lifting weights.

-Both the girl and Calvin Harris were being assholes though.
Bullshit dude? You clearly hear the girl say "Play something original!" to which he replies "Why buy tickets to a fucking Calvin Harris show if you don't want to hear Calvin Harris?"

He wasn't being an asshole, she was just being fucking stupid.

vikki

I think this article missed the mark, and I usually like 'The Dancing Astronaut.' It's not taboo to talk about drugs, people do it all the time. It is taboo to condone drug use, and though no one involved with funding these festivals "condones" drug use there are a lot of people who are okay with it. Until the money is effected by the drug use, the drug use will continue.

I also thin the article focused a little too much on being a responsible drug user rather than maybe there is a problem with the scene. I am all for honest education of drugs and it's effects, not the propaganda I saw when I was a child, because i think we all make better decisions when we are educated.

How appealing is a drug free EDM scene? I think weed is an exception, but removing cocaine, pharmaceuticals, and MDMA, would the crowd be the same? I certainly think it would effect the turnout, but I don't know how. You have to admit that there is a portion of the attendees that are just looking to get fucked up and party and where music doesn't matter all that much. It's really a strange situation, you have artists like Deadmau5 who openly condemn drug use, is there still a portion of his crowd that likes to get crazy? I think if the EDM scene wanted to change it's image, it could, with the help of the performing acts. I do think that could cause some other problems, like drawing a line in the sand clean acts vs. dirty acts, but this is all speculation and I think it's good to talk about.

Ovid

Upcoming concerts...

Nicky Romero this Sunday

Zedd Wednesday the 11th

Tomorrowworld the 28th

Krewella October 29th

Maybe Flux Pavillion early October

This is gonna be a goooooood couple of months.
Kaskade @ Barclays Center next month.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I think this article missed the mark, and I usually like 'The Dancing Astronaut.' It's not taboo to talk about drugs, people do it all the time. It is taboo to condone drug use, and though no one involved with funding these festivals "condones" drug use there are a lot of people who are okay with it. Until the money is effected by the drug use, the drug use will continue.

I also thin the article focused a little too much on being a responsible drug user rather than maybe there is a problem with the scene. I am all for honest education of drugs and it's effects, not the propaganda I saw when I was a child, because i think we all make better decisions when we are educated.

How appealing is a drug free EDM scene? I think weed is an exception, but removing cocaine, pharmaceuticals, and MDMA, would the crowd be the same? I certainly think it would effect the turnout, but I don't know how. You have to admit that there is a portion of the attendees that are just looking to get fucked up and party and where music doesn't matter all that much. It's really a strange situation, you have artists like Deadmau5 who openly condemn drug use, is there still a portion of his crowd that likes to get crazy? I think if the EDM scene wanted to change it's image, it could, with the help of the performing acts. I do think that could cause some other problems, like drawing a line in the sand clean acts vs. dirty acts, but this is all speculation and I think it's good to talk about.

I think the issue this article is hitting is that festival organizers generally pretend that drug use doesn't occur at their festivals, when it's obvious to anyone who attends these things that the majority of festival goers are on something. The fact that organizers refuse to even discuss this issue is irresponsible and leads to people learning about drug use from their friends, or other people who may not be very educated on the matter.

You can try to tell festival goers that drugs are bad but that is a losing battle. What the article argues is that they should educate festival goers about how to be intelligent about molly and other drugs. Of course the issue is that by providing educational materials about drugs, the festival goers could be seen as implicitly condoning drug use. It's a tough position to be in.

I will say that the security at EZoo was about as lax as it gets. I went for both days and all I had to do was take my wallet and phone out of my pocket and the security guards let me through - I didn't get a pat down or anything. They didn't seem to care much about who or what they let through the gates.

Kaskade @ Barclays Center next month.

My list is as follows:

Arty @ Governor's Island - September 15
Kaskade @ Barclays Center - October 5
Eric Prydz @ Hammerstein Ballroom - October 18

Crazy 1.5 months coming up...

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I didn't even get patted down or have to take anything out of my pockets. I just walked right in. I had earplugs, my phone, credit card, ID and some cash.

Also, I'm not trying to fan an argument back up, but I thought people might be interested in reading this. I ended up finding the article that referenced how much Molly that girl took ("6 hits", whatever that means)

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...asy_at_killer_nyc_rave_GzuQPIxiKrQg5PNLHFq7AM

Also, the guy who died was found with crystal meth in his pocket. I wonder what else he had in his system?

I had a pretty awesome EDM summer but post-EZoo my schedule is pretty clear. I saw Armin, Prydz, Krewella (twice), Calvin Harris, Kill Paris and Tritonal in like a 2 month span. All in fairly small clubs. I've got Madeon coming up soon but that's about it looking ahead.

Top Bottom