• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

cdyhybrid

Kaskade absolutely crushed it at Marquee on Saturday, it was the final night of his summer residency so he went out with a bang. Above and Beyond were awesome as expected, but the highlight of the night was probably my friend winning $900 on a three-card poker table before A&B got on stage :p

vikki

I think the issue this article is hitting is that festival organizers generally pretend that drug use doesn't occur at their festivals, when it's obvious to anyone who attends these things that the majority of festival goers are on something. The fact that organizers refuse to even discuss this issue is irresponsible and leads to people learning about drug use from their friends, or other people who may not be very educated on the matter.

You can try to tell festival goers that drugs are bad but that is a losing battle. What the article argues is that they should educate festival goers about how to be intelligent about molly and other drugs. Of course the issue is that by providing educational materials about drugs, the festival goers could be seen as implicitly condoning drug use. It's a tough position to be in.

I will say that the security at EZoo was about as lax as it gets. I went for both days and all I had to do was take my wallet and phone out of my pocket and the security guards let me through - I didn't get a pat down or anything. They didn't seem to care much about who or what they let through the gates.

I did like some of what the article said, I just don't think it's a viable solution to the fact that these festivals are just an excuse to get fucked out of your mind. The article did say there is no way to take drugs safely and that if you decide you are going to use drugs then you should get yourself educated first, I guess it's kind of like safe sex.

I'm not sure there is a solution to the drug use that wouldn't hurt the EDM scene. I have been thinking about it and it may be up to the performers and the attendees to be more responsible.

Yeah I didn't even get patted down or have to take anything out of my pockets. I just walked right in. I had earplugs, my phone, credit card, ID and some cash.

Also, I'm not trying to fan an argument back up, but I thought people might be interested in reading this. I ended up finding the article that referenced how much Molly that girl took ("6 hits", whatever that means)

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/...asy_at_killer_nyc_rave_GzuQPIxiKrQg5PNLHFq7AM

Also, the guy who died was found with crystal meth in his pocket. I wonder what else he had in his system?

I don't think tightening security is going to solve their problems unless they truly want a drug free environment, I don't believe that is what they want. They could get drug hounds at the door, but no one is going to want to attend a show where people are getting arrested at the door.

Crystal Meth? WTF man. I'm not surprised, but c'mon.

Paul Oakenfold Sept. 5
Breakaway Festival Sept. 14
Gareth Emery Sept. 26
Zed's Dead Oct. 7
Krewella Oct.18
MAKJ + UZ Oct. 31
Pretty Lights Nov.6

Pretty full schedule

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Hold onto your dicks! It was just announced that Fehrplay and Jeremy Olander will be opening for Eric Prydz on his EPIC 2.0 tour in North America.

tumblr_lz7h6gNCI81qet8n4.gif

Edit: Preview of Tritonal's new single:

Tritonal - Follow Me Home ft Underdown

Preview of Kaskade's new single:

Kaskade & Late Night Alumni - Why Ask Why

Joe

Got tix for Aoki on November 2.

I missed Flux Pavilion in NYC last week, pretty pissed.

Does anyone know a good website for finding dubstep shows/djs in NYC? My friend and I aren't dubstep buffs but we want to check out a show.

Ovid

Does anyone know a good website for finding dubstep shows/djs in NYC? My friend and I aren't dubstep buffs but we want to check out a show.
Bandsintown

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Songkick is a cool website that syncs up with your Facebook and imports all the artists you "like" there. Then it emails you whenever they announce a concert near you.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Songkick is a cool website that syncs up with your Facebook and imports all the artists you "like" there. Then it emails you whenever they announce a concert near you.

You can also just enter them manually. I feel like that's worth mentioning for people who don't like linking stuff to their social media profiles or don't "Like" much on Facebook.

They also have integration with iCal and Google Calendars to automatically put all of the shows on there for you, auto-updating when you add/remove artists from your Songkick list, etc.

It's a great service.

Aomber

Had Nicky Romero today. He sure put on a great set! Definitely the best show of the festival (only 6 artists though, and I'm biased so there's that =P)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
From Gareth Emery's Facebook page:

CLASSIC EMERY ALBUM. In the run-up to my new artist album in early 2014, we're going to be revisiting some of my classic albums and playing them start to finish on the podcast. For this week's show, from 2009 here's The Sound of Garuda (CD1). Hope you enjoy! Gaz.

The Gareth Emery Podcast: Episode 251

Classic Emery Album: The Sound of Garuda (CD1)

1. Ashley Wallbridge - Harmonies (Sound of Garuda Intro Mix) [AVA]
2. Beltek - Niagara Falls [Garuda]
3. Ben Preston - Repeat After Me (Shawn Mitiska & Ad Brown Remix) [Garuda]
4. Wippenberg - Pong [High Contrast]
5. Mark Sinclair - Pictures Of You (Terry Ferminal mix) [High Contrast]
6. Gareth Emery with Emma Hewitt - I Will Be The Same (Sound of Garuda mix) [Garuda]
7. Pulser - Broken Universe [Garuda]
8. Be:Gold - Sunstroke [Musical Madness]
9. Sander van Doorn - Ninety [Doorn]
10. Ali Wilson - Boombox [In Charge]
11. Marcel Woods vs Arteno Divini - Inside My Time (Emery re-edit) [High Contrast]
12. Tritonal - Suede (Stoneface & Terminal remix) [Garuda]
13. David Forbes - Breakout (Darker mix) [Liquid]
14. Greg Downey - Global Code [Vandit]
15. Activa - Affirmation (Sound of Garuda Outro mix) [Discover]

Aomber

Lol so I was talking to my neighbor and told him how I'm going to see Zedd tonight and he goes "Oh so is that like deadmau5? Like that Dubstep kinda music???"

Omg people suckkk hahaha

Just a heads up, Avicii's album has leaked. Obviously not much different than his promo mix other than the new tracks with Adam Lambert and Nile Rodgers--and no crowd effects, obviously.

Im digging Aviciis album but I find that these songs arent really suited for live sets. When I saw him play most of these in his set, the crowd was bored out of its mind

cdyhybrid

Seeing Hardwell and Avicii in Vegas in two weeks! Wanted to see Tiesto instead of Avicii that night, but the birthday girl wanted to see Avicii, so...

Aomber

Seeing Hardwell and Avicii in Vegas in two weeks! Wanted to see Tiesto instead of Avicii that night, but the birthday girl wanted to see Avicii, so...
I wasn't a big fan of Avicii when I saw him live. I like some of his music but when I saw him it was on his stadium tour and there were soooo many teeny boppers, it made the experience pretty awful compared to a crowd of say college kids and older.
Regardless, his set was okay, should be fun enough anyway haha

On the note of Avicii, I found his real facebook through some connections lol. Might keep that in mind for when I'm sending out my own material.

cdyhybrid

I wasn't a big fan of Avicii when I saw him live. I like some of his music but when I saw him it was on his stadium tour and there were soooo many teeny boppers, it made the experience pretty awful compared to a crowd of say college kids and older.
Regardless, his set was okay, should be fun enough anyway haha

On the note of Avicii, I found his real facebook through some connections lol. Might keep that in mind for when I'm sending out my own material.

Well, it'll be in a nightclub, so the crowd shouldn't be a problem. I really want to see Tiesto but we aren't going for my birthday :p

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I saw Mat Zo like a month ago and was super disappointed. Im not sure what I was expecting but it was pretty much the opposite. Super slow set just like Deadmau5

Yeah his sets are relatively slower and more vibey than most mainstream EDM sets. I like that though, and would totally go see him if he wasn't playing at the shittiest club in NYC.

New Goldroom EP can be streamed online, it's pretty good if you like nu disco:

Goldroom - Embrace EP

kaskade

Krewella put their album up on Soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/krewella/sets/get-wet

I enjoy them, they're like the pop EDM artist. They don't seem to do anything really groundbreaking but they do what they do well. There's definitely going to be a lot of radio play from this album. We Are One, Enjoy the Ride specifically. Overall I enjoyed it.

Top Bottom