• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Aomber

Got to play with my buddy's CDJ 2000's and DJM 900 Nexus yesterday. He's teaching me how to DJ because he's landed a pretty sweet gig with the local venue, they're getting him to open for as many artists as possible. He opened as direct support for Fedde Le Grand (which is how I met him) and he's also direct support for Zomboy and Infected Mushroom in the next couple of weeks. I've been making some connections lately so it's pretty likely that I could land the same gig - the difference being that I'm the producer. Meeting these guys and showing them my stuff could be a big deal. Now I just need to release stuff I'm happy with, which means I will be religiously producing for the next 2 1/2 weeks. Lol.

On a related note, I enjoy DJing. It's fun.

Edit: And Ingrosso shows always look awesome. Although I saw my favorite of the three already, that being Axwell, at Tomorrowworld. That was fucking insane, my favorite set of the day I went.

Toothpick

Performer list announced for Escape 2013 in SoCal

escape-from-wonderland-2013-performer-list.jpg

Youtube trailer here

I'm still new-ish to posting on GAF, but I've loved electronic music since before I even knew there was a whole genre of this music!

The first dance music I can remember hearing was some funky stuff in the early 90's, along with the stuff that hit it big like the Mortal Kombat soundtrack, stuff on the Top 40 like Real McCoy, Ian Van Dahl, etc.

While I'd listen to the music any chance I got, it was only in these last few years that I was able to really listen to it all the time.

Anyway, long story short, EDM is the only music that speaks to me. When I hear electronic music, I get it. Like many do with lyrics and such, I feel it through my being, y'know?

I've not yet been to any live shows yet, but I would love to make it to one eventually.

Hey, any Windows Phone users here? There's a great free app called "BEEM Plus" that's nothing but EDM in it's many flavors!

Toothpick

Welcome to the thread Spectral! I know the feeling you're describing. I love other genres, but some electronic music produced is unlike anything else. You need to see a live show though! There is nothing like being in a large crowd listening to one your favorite artists. The energy is nuts. That goes for any genre of music

Toothpick

I only started listening to electronic music around 2007, but I feel like most people here got to witness an important time for EDM. The way the genre and the culture has gradually been introduced into the mainstream (pop radio hits, music festivals).

So happy I got to witness it, anyone else feel like this? Or maybe that's just how I see it from my own little bubble haha.

I often wonder how these last few years will look like 20-30 years from now. "I was there"

Ashhong

Just got back from Above and Beyonds acoustic show in Los Angeles. Wow, that was amazing. Hearing a thing called love and on a good day live like that was so damn good.

Anybody else able to catch one of these?

Dreaver

Feed Me's debut album just released (Calamari Tuesday). It's a really fun album. Loads of different styles as well, dubstep, trap, electrohouse etc.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
5 days and counting until I get to see Jeremy Olander, Fehrplay, and ERIC PRYDZ all in one place. My body is ready.

Here's a Dancing Astronaut guest mix by Fehrplay to get you guys in the mood.

Tracklist:

1. Erkka - Talk to the Hand (Original Mix)
2. Richard Knott – Push (Original Mix)
3. Fehrplay - Everywhere (Original Mix)
4. Maor Levi - Holding On (Fehrplay Remix)
5. Soundprank - Downshift (Original Mix)
6. Adrian Lux - Teenage Crime (Eric Prydz Bootleg)
7. Jeremy Olander – Fairfax (Original Mix)

zbeeb

The most recent thing is Rob Swire saying he was taking a break from Knife Party for a little bit - assuming that's because he's working on the new Pendulum album (which he announced).

I believe they actually said they're taking a break from performing and that new knife party and pendulum will be out next year

Aomber

So I'm seeing Krewella in a couple weeks, pulled some strings and gonna get the lady in for free. :)

Oh yeah and I'm probably gonna meet Infected Mushroom and Zomboy the next day when I see them. Mentioned earlier that I was seeing them but it's sounding likely this could happen too.

Sai-kun

Banned
Oh man, Eric Prydz' set at Coachella earlier this year was rad. Have a great time, il!

As for my evening tomorrow, I've got a ticket to see Boys Noize! :D

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Not really sure if this classifies as electronic but Tycho sort of has a genre all his own and not sure where else to put this. He released a new single today and it's great. If you haven't checked out Dive, I highly recommend doing so:

https://soundcloud.com/tycho/tycho-awake

Nice! I recently got into Tycho, he's great. He's got some pretty awesome artwork in his store too, but the bigger/nicer prints are sold out unfortunately :/

Izayoi

Banned
Just bought Calamari Tuesday so that's actually surprisingly relevant to me. Great album too, if you're into electro house at all.

cdyhybrid

I want to see Tritonal, Orjan Nilsen and Cosmic Gate but I'm probably going to get overruled ;-;

Haven't seen Calvin, Benny, or Dillon live yet so at least it'll be something new, but still.

Hardwell's label doing a livestream from ADE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rax7kvvXUOg

YouTube stream from 00:00 - 04:00 CEST / 0600 - 1000pm EST, live from Amsterdam
Timetable:
22.00-23.00 Kill the Buzz
23.00-00.30 DANNIC
00.30-02.30 Hardwell
02.30 03.30 W&W
03.30-05.00 Dyro

Krewella was unreal good last night! Most energy I've seen at a show in a long time. Got a chance to meet them for a few minutes too, they're just as cool as they seem and incredibly sexy in person.

Also, Candyland surprised the hell out of me, great set.

Aomber

Krewella was unreal good last night! Most energy I've seen at a show in a long time. Got a chance to meet them for a few minutes too, they're just as cool as they seem and incredibly sexy in person.

That's really good to hear. I'm super excited now!

Couple cool internationals heading our way this November/December/January. Names like Hardwell, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Juicy M, Nora en Pure, Madeon, Rehab, Borgore, Tube & Berger, Stimming, Danny Avila, Bakermat and Hannah Wants. Looks like its going to be a good end of the year.

Sai-kun

Banned
Haven't seen Calvin, Benny, or Dillon live yet so at least it'll be something new, but still.

Get fucking HYPED son. Calvin Harris' stuff is..not generic, but definitely all a bit samey, BUT the energy of the crowd is always fantastic, and his mixing is pretty fucking rad, and it's just great to dance and sing along to like every track from his latest album.

Dillon always put on a really really fun show, too. He's got awesome energy and his stuff is great for dancing to.

hype hype hype hypeeee

Dreaver

Yeah well the list is terrible anyways.. So many garbage dj's so high. I am not going to start the underground vs 'mainstream' dj thing, but come on.. For example, Martin Garrix at #40, the guy has had one hit and he's #40?

The lists have never been 'good' in my opinion, but this year is really terrible.

jambo

Oakey at 92 is also a crime.

He has been pumping out awesome old school trance tunes over the past couple of years and playing some awesome sets.

And Indecent Noise, John Askew and Bryan Kearney aren't anywhere on the list? Pfft

It has always been a popularity contest I suppose.

Aomber

The fact that Avicii is #3 is hilarious. He is easily the worst big-name name DJ I have ever seen live.
I have to agree with this. Admittedly the stage he had when I saw him was absolutely awesome (that big head thing) but the set itself... Ehhhhhhhhhhh

Doesn't help that the crowd was all teeny boppers. Oh god I had too many kids coming up to me all like HEY ARE YOU ON MOLLY

cdyhybrid

The list is just a popularity contest, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. I had a fine time when I saw Avicii at XS, but a Vegas nightclub and an all-ages festival are slightly different environments :p

jambo

It should really be called the Top 100 Producers or Top 100 Names, but Top 100 DJs is short and easy to read and remember, even though half the people on the list can't DJ for shit.

Top Bottom