• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Aomber

Matthew Koma is a fantastic vocal but this song is pure trash. This is my problem with EDM now, and why I've started to drift away from it in the past 5 months or so. It's becoming such generic, copy cat crap. Pretty much every song follows the exact same formula.
That's a huge generalization for such a big genre, no? There are certain genres like this but many that aren't, not to mention the particular artists within those genres who are doing their own thing

Maybe you should just try branching out within EDM

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Matthew Koma is a fantastic vocal but this song is pure trash. This is my problem with EDM now, and why I've started to drift away from it in the past 5 months or so. It's becoming such generic, copy cat crap. Pretty much every song follows the exact same formula.

So maybe move away from mainstream, big room/festival EDM? There are lots of genres and artists out there that don't make the typical Beatport Top 10 sounding stuff. Personally I love stuff from the Pryda Friends camp (Prydz, Fehrplay, Jeremy Olander), and deep house has become my new favorite genre. There are a ton of artists out there who make really good and unique music - Gorgon City, M Machine, Art Department, Alan Braxe, Goldroom, Cyril Hahn, Fred Falke, Richard Knott, Roald Velden, The Magician, Shook, the list goes on.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So maybe move away from mainstream, big room/festival EDM? There are lots of genres and artists out there that don't make the typical Beatport Top 10 sounding stuff. Personally I love stuff from the Pryda Friends camp (Prydz, Fehrplay, Jeremy Olander), and deep house has become my new favorite genre. There are a ton of artists out there who make really good and unique music - Gorgon City, M Machine, Art Department, Alan Braxe, Goldroom, Cyril Hahn, Fred Falke, Richard Knott, Roald Velden, The Magician, Shook, the list goes on.

That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask in this thread actually. I've absolutely loved just about everything Eric Prydz has done over the past 2 years. From his Essential Mix to the Pryda album to all of his singles from 2013.

Where do I go next? Older Prydz stuff? Other artists?

It's the perfect music for coding, long drives, etc.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask in this thread actually. I've absolutely loved just about everything Eric Prydz has done over the past 2 years. From his Essential Mix to the Pryda album to all of his singles from 2013.

Where do I go next? Older Prydz stuff? Other artists?

It's the perfect music for coding, long drives, etc.

I know what you mean, I usually marathon Prydz mixes while I'm cranking out Excel models. I'm pretty sure it increases my productivity.

Try some of his older mixes (his Creamfields 2011 Essential Mix is a banger, and his EPIC show at Alexandra Palace is also ridiculous). He also posted a 3-hour NYE set from Washington DC on his Soundcloud.

You should also check out Fehrplay and Jeremy Olander, who are practically his proteges. Olander puts out Vivrant Radio but it's very hit-or-miss as far as timing.

There aren't really any artists that sound exactly like Prydz because he has his own thing going, but check out Richard Knott who has some songs that were released on the Pryda label. I generally think of Prydz' music as a mix of progressive and deep house, so maybe look at those genres separately? The artists I listed in my post earlier could be a good starting point.

Aomber

I know what you mean, I usually marathon Prydz mixes while I'm cranking out Excel models. I'm pretty sure it increases my productivity.

Try some of his older mixes (his Creamfields 2011 Essential Mix is a banger, and his EPIC show at Alexandra Palace is also ridiculous). He also posted a 3-hour NYE set from Washington DC on his Soundcloud.

You should also check out Fehrplay and Jeremy Olander, who are practically his proteges. Olander puts out Vivrant Radio but it's very hit-or-miss as far as timing.

There aren't really any artists that sound exactly like Prydz because he has his own thing going, but check out Richard Knott who has some songs that were released on the Pryda label. I generally think of Prydz' music as a mix of progressive and deep house, so maybe look at those genres separately? The artists I listed in my post earlier could be a good starting point.
I'm gonna have to check some of these out while I go on a Java coding marathon tonight (2 labs and a project) lmaooo

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a good deep house mix I came across last week:

James Dutton - What Happens Podcast Jan 2014

Track list

1. Rodriguez Jr. - Bittersweet (Original Mix) - Mobilee
2. James Dutton - Kahlua (Original Mix) - What Happens
3. Riva Starr, Horace Andy - DubLife (Alexkid Dub Mix)
4. Qbeck - Eureka (Mihai Popoviciu Remix)
5. Anek - Come Out To Play (Sante Remix) - VIVa MUSiC
6. Ray Okpara - Midnight_Protein (Original Mix) - Mobilee
7. Michelle Owen, Kruse & Nuernberg feat. Isis Salam - We Find Deep (Original Mix) - Rejected
8. Soulgroove - Pressure (Original Mix)
9. Hollen - Belly Dull (Mihai Popoviciu Remix)
10. Ramiro Lopez, Darlyn Vlys - Django (Original Mix)
11. Cristoph - Shelter (Original Mix)
12. Distortion Inc. - Autumn Saturday (MDR Remix) - Deepwit Records

I usually follow artists I like on Soundcloud and whenever they post mixes I'll listen to them and take note of the songs I really like. I'll then check out the artists who made those specific songs I liked, and I'll follow them if I like their stuff. Then I start listening to their mixes and discovering other artists that way. That's really the easiest way I can think of to discover new music.

L1NETT

Porter Robinson Spitfire EP. Give it a listen :)

He (hopefully) has new stuff this year

And yeah, as other's have said just branch out a bit. Your Zedd's, Hardwell's etc aren't gonna change what's been really successful for them. Ilnad's post is mint, check out Kaskade and mat zo's latest album too.

Aomber

ugh this is really really disappointing

speaking of zedd though, I wish he'd put out a remix of the tracks he helped produce for Lady Gaga (G.U.Y. and Donatella). I'd love an even more EDM-sounding remix with her vocals.

He produced Aura with Infected Mushroom as well, which was my favorite song on the album.

I just wish he'd stop pumping out such mainstream crap. He's putting an album out this year so I hope it's more to his style. I mean to be fair he has done this for quite a while now, just not under his name - like he produced Beauty and a Beat for Justin Bieber (lol) so I haven't totally lost hope. I'm relying on his album.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
New Max Graham podcast!

Max Graham Cycles Radio 145

01. James Grant & Andrew Bayer - Living [Anjunadeep]
02. JimiJ - Contemporary [Enhanced]
03. ID
04. Sonic Future - Remember [Suara]
05. Marsh - Sleeping Now (Rodrigo Deem Vitodito) [Silk Royal]
06. Soundprank - Squared [Enhanced]
07. Norin Rad - Thundercat [Anjunabeats]
08. Trilucid & Philthy Chit - Syntax (Gai Barone) [Saturate]
09. ID
10. Ruben De Ronde - They Are Not You (Gai Barone) [Statement]
11. Uto Karem - Who's Right [Agile]
12. Paul Thomas - Slo Bibble [Ultraviolet]
13. Raul Mezcolanza - Look My Face (Gabriel D'or, Bordoy) [Selected]
14. Drumcomplex & Roel Salemink – Launch (Tomy DeClerque) [Yellow]
15. Filterheadz - On Fire [Bitten]
16. Balthazar & JackRock - Unleash The Beast (Norma) [Perfection Records]
17. Basil O'Glue - Step Two [Afterglow]
18. Space Rockerz & Cathy Burton - Lead You Back (Kaimo K Dub) [Adrian and Raz]
19. Driftmoon - Howl At The Moon (Solarstone Retouch) [Pure Trance]
20. Solid Stone - For The Moment [Rebrand Records]
21. Somna and Yang with Kimberly Hale - Deeper [Amsterdam Trance]
22. ID
23. Corderoy - Kerosene (Gai Barone) [Perfecto]
24. Matt Lange - So Cliche [Electronic Elements]
25. Matt Fax - Hidden Feelings [Arrival]

Starts off with some really nice deep house.

Nemesis_

I heard the Matthew Koma track yesterday and it reminded me that I haven't visited EDMGAF for sometime. But I see that track has already been discussed here - it really is trashy. But it is by no means a reason to abandon the genre! :p

ATB's latest album, Contact, is out now. I really like ATB and I love Jes especially as a vocalist. They did a song together for the album (and the only one I've heard thus far) called Together. It's very much a groove / downbeat kind of electronic track but I really like it's weird and (for ATB) unusually sombre production and melody.

Haven't heard the rest of the album yet, but it is on Spotify.

Chaplain

An amazing set that came out today by one of the best producers for the past year or so:

SILK ROYAL SHOWCASE 226 (JOHAN VILBORG MIX)

Posted on January 31, 2014

1. Johan Vilborg vs. Tritonal feat. Phoebe Ryan – Now or Never a Mai Tai (Johan Vilborg Mashup) [Enhanced] [0:00]
2. Estiva & Justin Oh feat. Abby Rae – Reach For The Sky (Original Mix) [Enhanced] [5:32]
3. Boom Jinx, Maor Levi & Ashley Tomberlin – When You Loved Me (Juventa & Toby Hedges Remix [Anjunabeats] [10:55]
4. Progresia feat. Linnea Schossow – Fire Fire Fire (Ilan Bluestone Remix) [Anjunabeats] [14:22]
5. Marsh – Waiting For The Mail Man (Jayeson Andel Remix) [Silk Royal] [19:02]
6. Arty & Misha Kitone – Inside Of Me (Original Mix) [Drizzly Records] [25:12]

Royal Selection:
7. Johan Vilborg – Sky Grinder (Original Mix) [Enhanced Progressive] [30:51]

8. Max Graham vs Maarten de Jong – Lekker (Original Mix)[Rebrand] [35:17]
9. Ilan Bluestone – Spheres (Original Mix) [Anjunabeats] [40:00]
10. Rafael Frost – New York (Original Mix) [Frost Recordings] [44:42]
11. LTN & Roni Joni – In Between (Original Mix)[Arrival] [48:12]
12. Johan Vilborg – Fall (Original Mix) [Silk Royal] [53:37]

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Kygo! Give his new remix a listen, probably his best yet.

https://soundcloud.com/kygo/kyla-la-grange-cut-your

Damn! This track is ridiculous. Gives me a nu disco vibe but does it a lot better than Goldroom/Fred Falke et al. (I still love those guys lol).

An amazing set that came out today by one of the best producers for the past year or so:

SILK ROYAL SHOWCASE 226 (JOHAN VILBORG MIX)

I love Johan Vilborg, I'll check this out now. His progressive house sound is really amazing. Reminds me of Shingo Nakamura, which makes sense since I think he's also on Silk.

Aomber

Nevermind apparently I'm not going anymore hahaha!

God damn I can't wait till vegas. I SERIOUSLY need an event in my life, it's been too long. Last one was Mat Zo like at the beginning of December.

jambo

mRszunj.jpg

ASOT 650 from Yekaterinburg is now live on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0QSpkaJao4

I have to get this off of my chest. "Tribute to Amelia" has to have some of the cheesiest lyrics in trance right now, which is a genre known for having some pretty cheesy lyrics. Musically though it is a pretty good track.

Ferr986

I have to get this off of my chest. "Tribute to Amelia" has to have some of the cheesiest lyrics in trance right now, which is a genre known for having some pretty cheesy lyrics. Musically though it is a pretty good track.

Well, this time it has a reason though. The song is a tribute for the wife of the composer (RAM) who died last October.

How have I never seen this thread before? Guess I don't venture onto off topic enough. Thought I would introduce myself as I will definitely sub this thread!

Massive Trance fan here from Australia. Can't get enough of it, subscribed to a number of podcasts that I listen to all through the week whilst driving to work, walking the dog or at the gym. Extremely difficult to pick a favorite artist but lately I am really enjoying Armin, Alexander Popov, Ben Gold, Tritonal and Markus Schulz in my opinion has been killing it lately. His sets are phenomenal.

Stayed up last night to catch the start of New Horizons. Ruben De Ronde and Alexander Popov were both great. Stage looked great.

jambo

How have I never seen this thread before? Guess I don't venture onto off topic enough. Thought I would introduce myself as I will definitely sub this thread!

Massive Trance fan here from Australia. Can't get enough of it, subscribed to a number of podcasts that I listen to all through the week whilst driving to work, walking the dog or at the gym. Extremely difficult to pick a favorite artist but lately I am really enjoying Armin, Alexander Popov, Ben Gold, Tritonal and Markus Schulz in my opinion has been killing it lately. His sets are phenomenal.

Stayed up last night to catch the start of New Horizons. Ruben De Ronde and Alexander Popov were both great. Stage looked great.

You should join us over in the Trance OT

L1NETT

Even for a ghost produced track this is utter shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbSxABtAcBs

Eeesh haha. Fucking badass avatar by the way, can't wait for the new album. March innit? Mondo from the latest duck droppings is mint.

--

Creamfields. Wanting to go (lineup announced this month), any advice would be verily appreciated peoples (if I should). Ta

---

Also v random, but is it only me who thinks Steve Angello looks bang like Vinny Caravella.

?

Aomber

Eeesh haha. Fucking badass avatar by the way, can't wait for the new album. March innit? Mondo from the latest duck droppings is mint.

--

Creamfields. Wanting to go (lineup announced this month), any advice would be verily appreciated peoples (if I should). Ta

---

Also v random, but is it only me who thinks Steve Angello looks bang like Vinny Caravella.

?

Thanks haha and yeah I have no idea, rolling stone just said it's due this spring.

Aomber

Back on the subject of Maarten Vorwerk, here's a prime example of the man in action.

Here's a new track released by W&W.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDmuKKZY0_M

This is so obviously ghost produced by Vorwerk because honestly you can hear it. It sounds exactly like some of the other tracks he's released for other artists.

Take Tsunami for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EWbonj7f18

THIS is the problem with Bigroom House. At least 50% of the tracks are done this way, massive bullshit lol

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Back on the subject of Maarten Vorwerk, here's a prime example of the man in action.

Here's a new track released by W&W.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDmuKKZY0_M

This is so obviously ghost produced by Vorwerk because honestly you can hear it. It sounds exactly like some of the other tracks he's released for other artists.

Take Tsunami for example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EWbonj7f18

THIS is the problem with Bigroom House. At least 50% of the tracks are done this way, massive bullshit lol

Why doesn't this guy just release tracks under his own name if he's so good?

Aomber

Why doesn't this guy just release tracks under his own name if he's so good?
Because he doesn't want the fame or to DJ. He just gets cash. He gets royalties from their performances too (could be wrong about the last part, just what I read)

Aomber

I have to admit. After burning that new Zedd song... I actually like it now. LOL

It's cheesy as all hell but it gets stuck in my head. God damn. This seems to happen to me with a lot of Zedd's songs, I don't know what to make of em at first but then grow to appreciate them.

I think what I like about him is as he says in his interviews, he's always "pushing the envelope" and doing things people don't really expect. Like yeah it's pretty damn pop-like, but it's also not formulaic. The "drop" isn't really predictable like it is in some of his other songs, and the song as a whole sways away from his style completely while keeping to his "sound". I don't think it's anywhere near his best stuff, but props to him for experimenting. Like he could have easily thrown in that signature "zedd bassline" or some shit but he didn't.

That being said I acknowledge that I'm a fanboy hahaha

Top Bottom