• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Ashhong

Amazing.

Music wise, it was a perfect mix. He started with his traditional album singles as well as some bangers like W&W's Bigfoot. Eventually transitioned into some classics, Gaia, and 138 stuff. It was everything I was expecting. His use of real vocalists and instruments made it feel like so much more than your average rave. He puts on a real show and not just a set. I was reminded of how Kanye did his Glow in the Dark tour. He rarely, if ever, speaks to the audience like a typical hip hop show, and instead just puts on a musical of sorts. Great stuff.

I chose to get seats instead of GA floor tickets, and it was bittersweet. On one hand I definitely loved being able to sit anytime I wanted. On the other hand there was definitely less energy up there. Being in that crowd would have been awesome at some points. Ping Pong is a whole nother beast live. I wasn't a huge fan of the song, but goddamn that shit shakes the house.

Oh, and his warmup set is fucking good too. Played mostly progressive stuff with a lot of anjuna mixed in. Wish I knew the song names.

A++++++++++ would go again.

VoxPop

I see. Could start off with Zedd, since his big hits get play in pop spheres. Calvin Harris, too. Maybe Kaskade after that.

As far as hip hop influenced stuff, could try Diplo, DJ Snake, Dillon Francis (hip hop/dancehall), Baauer.

Sweet thanks a bunch, got a lot of listening to do for the next couple of days :p

Toothpick

New to the edm scene. Friends are dragging me to EDC this year so I thought I could maybe be at least a little more knowledgeable. Anyone got a Spotify Playlist they recommend?

Here's 2 playlists I follow that are updated regulary
Dance Hits
Spinnin' Records Top 100

This one is my personal playlist. Its got a lot of big name DJs and popular tracks. Hit shuffle on that bad boy and enjoy :)
http://open.spotify.com/user/jorgexy/playlist/7GS8Vg5hEdV5jaXg6Ua87A

edit: copy the link address for this playlist. clicking link doesnt seem to be working for me

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
New to the edm scene. Friends are dragging me to EDC this year so I thought I could maybe be at least a little more knowledgeable. Anyone got a Spotify Playlist they recommend?

I'm going too! High five.
I'm going as well with a bunch of friends, pretty pumped as this will be my first major EDM type of concert / festival. Any tips for a first timer besides drink lots of water for anyone that's gone before?

cdyhybrid

I'm going as well with a bunch of friends, pretty pumped as this will be my first major EDM type of concert / festival. Any tips for a first timer besides drink lots of water for anyone that's gone before?

Get in shape. You'll be dancing the whole time.

Stay hydrated.

Eat. Your body needs fuel.

Don't pop a pill that some random dude offered you.

If you need to take a break, take a break. Listen to your body.

mr stroke

(if you're speaking of EDC Vegas?)

1-Take the Shuttle, do not drive(not worth the drive, parking, or DUI) and bring a pair of cheap earbuds to listen to music on your phone for the shuttle drive back.

2-Drink tons of water+Gatorade

3-Always go the same bar tender and tip him/her a $20-50 right off the bat. Every time you go back you will get 3 times the liquor everyone else does. Trust me. More up front way cheaper in the long run.

4-Sneak in a rubber flask in your nut sac, it will save you a ton on booze.

5-Don't stay in the main arena and listen to the same big room tunes. You paid good money, explore and listen to all the music thats out there.

6-If you are gonna get fucked up, be smart and don't over do it.

7-Don't try and dress up in new clothes/shoes. They will get trashed and after an hour of being there, everyone is drunk and doesn't give a shit what you look like.

8-Leave an hour before its over(unless you don't mind sitting in the parking lot for 2-3 hours)

Love this man,

Steve Angello: I am extremely beat right now! My little girls are finally in a nice and calm state of mind. It was a long day and were finally in Stockholm! Diapers and iPads everywhere. But we're home! Let's rest up and do an amazing party together! It's you , it's me and it's Us! A party for the people. No age restrictions. No entry fees. Only music and the passion behind it!! Much Love ! S-A

Wish I was going to Size in the Park.

dvdjamm

Finally...Epic Radio 011 is out

http://www.mixcloud.com/EFMrage/eric-prydz-epic-radio-011-15052014/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/eric-prydz-epic-radio/id527682150?mt=2

9edccbc43acfc52df23a.jpg

01. Eric Prydz - Liberate
02. Pryda - 2005 ID
03. Jeremy Olander - Love Flight 2014
04. Heartik - Orphan Planet
05. Fast Track & Maulen - Ravenheart
06. Cirez D - ID
07. Pryda - ID
08. Cirez D - ID
09. Pryda - ID
10. Slam! - Lifetimes
11. Pryda - In My Head

cdyhybrid

Finally...Epic Radio 011 is out

http://www.mixcloud.com/EFMrage/eric-prydz-epic-radio-011-15052014/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/eric-prydz-epic-radio/id527682150?mt=2

9edccbc43acfc52df23a.jpg

01. Eric Prydz - Liberate
02. Pryda - 2005 ID
03. Jeremy Olander - Love Flight 2014
04. Heartik - Orphan Planet
05. Fast Track & Maulen - Ravenheart
06. Cirez D - ID
07. Pryda - ID
08. Cirez D - ID
09. Pryda - ID
10. Slam! - Lifetimes
11. Pryda - In My Head

Hell yeah. Thank you based Prydz.

Red_Man

(if you're speaking of EDC Vegas?)

1-Take the Shuttle, do not drive(not worth the drive, parking, or DUI) and bring a pair of cheap earbuds to listen to music on your phone for the shuttle drive back.

2-Drink tons of water+Gatorade

3-Always go the same bar tender and tip him/her a $20-50 right off the bat. Every time you go back you will get 3 times the liquor everyone else does. Trust me. More up front way cheaper in the long run.

4-Sneak in a rubber flask in your nut sac, it will save you a ton on booze.

5-Don't stay in the main arena and listen to the same big room tunes. You paid good money, explore and listen to all the music thats out there.

6-If you are gonna get fucked up, be smart and don't over do it.

7-Don't try and dress up in new clothes/shoes. They will get trashed and after an hour of being there, everyone is drunk and doesn't give a shit what you look like.

8-Leave an hour before its over(unless you don't mind sitting in the parking lot for 2-3 hours)
Just saw this, I'm actually going to the EDC NY event. I've been to a ton of raves before, so I have the basics down, I've just never done a full day event. I assume the biggest thing is to just keep hydrated, the rest seems pretty obvious.

Aomber

Oh hell yes, EPIC 3.0 here I come. Signed up for the pre-sale, hope I can get floor tickets.

That's what I'm aiming for too

By the way, what's Terminal 5 like? I picked up tickets for the Porter Robinson show there, it was the only date that was convenient for me that I could go to

90% of those artists will be at EDC Vegas :p

But you're a solider if you can do both weekends........

Well it's in my home state. I mean I feel obligated you know. We do have a pretty big crew going to EDC, but still leaving out like 20-30 people who aren't going. This event just a better chance that everyone can go! I didn't know tickets were selling like hotcakes though.

Aomber

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK MYSTERYLAND WAS BONKERS

Okay, so review. It really blew away my expectations, for a festival of 20k it felt a loooot busier than that, and they really went all out with the production. So much good music, so many awesome stages. Spent a good amount of time around all the stages - mainstage, sunday school, qdance, etc. The food was actually great at the Smorgasburg festival too - relative for festivals anyway. They had regular booths for food as well but it wasn't as good as the Smorgasburg food. I also camped which was a lot of fun, it got rainy which sucked ass but we dealt with it.

I gotta say though, they were clearly not totally prepared. Considering this was by ID&T I expected it to be as organized as TomorrowWorld but they obviously didn't expect as many people as they got in the end, because at TomorrowWorld they had insane numbers of food stalls, drinks, bathrooms, etc - you never waited for any of that, where as I waited a looooooooooong time for some things at Mysteryland. Also the phone charging situation with their lockers was fucked, it was outstandingly slow, like 5% an hour. They said they had first year hurdles though so it is what it is, they'll fix those next year. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't disorganized by any means, they just didn't have it quite down like they did at TomorrowWorld.

Would absolutely recommend.

10309204_504911469609094_8011802993452842280_n.jpg

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh that looks cool, might have to check out Mysteryland next year. What was the camping situation like? I've never camped before so I'm wondering how messy it is.

Aomber

Ooh that looks cool, might have to check out Mysteryland next year. What was the camping situation like? I've never camped before so I'm wondering how messy it is.

Put it this way, if you know you like camping as a concept, you'll like it (but you haven't camped before so... read on =P)

If you're like me and you're unsure, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm glad I did it, it was fun and it was an experience, but I wouldn't do it again. First of all the weather didn't help, and there was basically non stop noise 24 hours of the day. Like I said in my review it also wasn't quite as organized as I was hoping, I was basically phoneless for the majority of the weekend which wasn't fun. There were also literally 3 hour lines for showers, so I avoided showering the entire weekend because otherwise I was just gonna miss out on the festival itself. Getting all the stuff to the camp site is a pain in the ass too because you can't leave once you're in so you have to bring all your stuff in and out at once.

Honestly I just found ultimately I wanted to get away from the noise and not waiting an hour and a half in line for breakfast (lines for food were not that long in the festival itself, just in the morning in the camping grounds), stuff like that. It was cool meeting tons of people and screwing around with friends but I missed the escape that a hotel would provide. And yes, it was very, very messy. Mud everywhere and what not. I think if I were to ever camp again the only festival I would do it at is TomorrowWorld with an easy tent package. TW just had "more" of everything so I would feel more confident that it would be a better experience. You show up, your tent is already set up, perfect weather in Georgia, there's proper bathrooms and showers with no lines, that kind of stuff. The easy tent area is also separate from Dreamville itself (where regular camping is), however you still have access to Dreamville

The quality of the festival itself was outstanding though. I had an amazing time.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That's what I thought. Yeah I'd definitely want to check out the festival next year (since it sounds like it was tons of fun) but I'd probably prefer to find some hotel nearby where I can completely relax and unwind between each day of the festival.

Thanks for the write-up.

Red_Man

All you guy that went to EDC NYC/MysteryLand NYC, where are the reviews damn it?

bRWplkJl.jpg

?!?
I was there, it was pretty fantastic for me personally, but I also have never gone to a big music festival like that before so I don't have anything to compare it too. It rained on Saturday pretty badly which was a clusterfuck as everyone was crammed into the stadium but it only lasted an hour. I saw Steve Angello, Calvin Harris, Sander Van Doom, Yellow Claw, Bassnecter, Destructo, Tommy Trash, and some others. The venue itself was pretty sick, easy to get around and the stages were awesome. One of the coolest parts of the event was they had a Budlight lounge area in the middle and DJs would go spin in there throughout the day, but it was mostly empty because people didn't know about it and were out seeing the big names. I was in there and 3 feet away from Tommy Trash, Destructo, and Wax Motif. Great time aside from the rain, getting a cab home after the event was a bitch though.

Aomber

e36bf_1722125.jpg

I have to say - I'm not that impressed.

Call me crazy because no doubt that is a great lineup and there's a lot of big names. But this is EDC Vegas. If you closely look, there are a lot of names missing that they could have brought, and we're talking about the biggest EDM festival in North America (no, nevermind that - the biggest one in the world apparently). I just think they could have done better - considering how long they made everyone wait (remember it's only 23 days until the festival), it makes me think there's a reason they waited this long to announce it.

This is such a critical time for Insomniac and EDC because SFX is bringing the fire with TomorrowWorld and now Mysteryland in the North American market. They're gonna have some issues if they don't do the same. I just looked at the numbers per day and EDC Vegas has around 60 - 70 artists per day. That's not bad don't get me wrong, that's a lot of artists. But - Tomorrowland has roughly 120 per day this year, that's DOUBLE the artists, and TomorrowWorld won't be far off of that as they certainly had over 60 a day last year (which was their first year) if I remember correctly. There's no question they're missing some important names in comparison, yes there's probably a lot of smaller artists going to Tomorrowland but with those kind of numbers it's very obvious there's a problem. Bare in mind EDC Vegas is an even bigger festival than Tomorrowland lol.

My two cents on the matter.

EDIT: Here's an article with the daily lineup

http://radio.com/2014/05/27/avicii-...lectric-daisy-carnival-las-vegas-2014-lineup/

cdyhybrid

Knife Party. Nice.

Edit: Was going to listen to New World Punx's EDCNY set (they put it on Soundcloud), and not even one minute in, this hypeman that ruins so many of Markus Schulz's sets is shitting in my ears again.

WHY

Aomber

Screw you! I can't wait 3 more weeks!!

MY BODY IS READY!!!

yea you're kind of right but still have to go in with the right mind set.

Oh don't get me wrong it's a really sick line up regardless and EDC Vegas looks amazing, I wanna go so badly. I just want Insomniac to push themselves harder because solid competition is good for everyone

You'll have a blast!

Knife Party. Nice.

Edit: Was going to listen to New World Punx's EDCNY set (they put it on Soundcloud), and not even one minute in, this hypeman that ruins so many of Markus Schulz's sets is shitting in my ears again.

WHY

LMFAO I hate that shit. To be honest it didn't bother me much live when they did it at ML, but when I hear it in a live set I wanna listen to in my own home I'm just like DAMMIT

mr stroke

e36bf_1722125.jpg

I have to say - I'm not that impressed.

Call me crazy because no doubt that is a great lineup and there's a lot of big names. But this is EDC Vegas. If you closely look, there are a lot of names missing that they could have brought, and we're talking about the biggest EDM festival in North America (no, nevermind that - the biggest one in the world apparently). I just think they could have done better - considering how long they made everyone wait (remember it's only 23 days until the festival), it makes me think there's a reason they waited this long to announce it.

This is such a critical time for Insomniac and EDC because SFX is bringing the fire with TomorrowWorld and now Mysteryland in the North American market. They're gonna have some issues if they don't do the same. I just looked at the numbers per day and EDC Vegas has around 60 - 70 artists per day. That's not bad don't get me wrong, that's a lot of artists. But - Tomorrowland has roughly 120 per day this year, that's DOUBLE the artists, and TomorrowWorld won't be far off of that as they certainly had over 60 a day last year (which was their first year) if I remember correctly. There's no question they're missing some important names in comparison, yes there's probably a lot of smaller artists going to Tomorrowland but with those kind of numbers it's very obvious there's a problem. Bare in mind EDC Vegas is an even bigger festival than Tomorrowland lol.

My two cents on the matter.

EDIT: Here's an article with the daily lineup

http://radio.com/2014/05/27/avicii-...lectric-daisy-carnival-las-vegas-2014-lineup/

While I do believe it could be better(WTF is Riche Hawtin, Deep Dish, Danny Tenaglia, Skrillex and he's in Vegas that weekend?, Drumcode arena, etc...)
and it has been better in previous years, the line up is still pretty stacked-

There is every big name pop house DJ under the sun-Hardwell, Tiesto, AVIICI, Afrojack, Armin Van Buuren, Steve Aoki, etc.......

Techno/Cox+friends arena is solid but could be better.

but the real highlight is dat fucking Trance/Psy line up
229.gif

Paul Van Dyk, Astrix, Simon Patterson, Astral Projection, Orjan Nislen, Jordan Suckley, Andrew Reyel, Infected Mushroom(Dj set), Paul Oakenfold(if he doesn't do too much coke and sticks to a old school Psy set) Brian Kearney, etc.....

Aomber

While I do believe it could be better(WTF is Riche Hawtin, Deep Dish, Danny Tenaglia, Skrillex and he's in Vegas that weekend?, Drumcode arena, etc...)
and it has been better in previous years, the line up is still pretty stacked-

There is every big name pop house DJ under the sun-Hardwell, Tiesto, AVIICI, Afrojack, Armin Van Buuren, Steve Aoki, etc.......

Techno/Cox+friends arena is solid but could be better.

but the real highlight is dat fucking Trance/Psy line up
229.gif

Paul Van Dyk, Astrix, Simon Patterson, Astral Projection, Orjan Nislen, Jordan Suckley, Andrew Reyel, Infected Mushroom(Dj set), Paul Oakenfold(if he doesn't do too much coke and sticks to a old school Psy set) Brian Kearney, etc.....

Wait Skrillex is in Vegas that weekend and isn't playing EDC?

lol w0t

Top Bottom