• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Just got back from a week in Ibiza, what a beautiful place.

Watching the sun set at Cafe Mambo's with Pete Tong playing was just pure bliss. Other highlights were seeing Axwell / Ingrosso at Ushuaïa (Much better than their festival sets) and Armin Van Helden at Pacha.

Speaking of Ibiza, BBC Radio One are playing this tonight:

file.php

I highly recommend it for anyone who only discovered SHM during their twilight years.

mr stroke

Just got back from a week in Ibiza, what a beautiful place.

Watching the sun set at Cafe Mambo's with Pete Tong playing was just pure bliss. Other highlights were seeing Axwell / Ingrosso at Ushuaïa (Much better than their festival sets) and Armin Van Helden at Pacha.

Speaking of Ibiza, BBC Radio One are playing this tonight:

file.php

I highly recommend it for anyone who only discovered SHM during their twilight years.

curious how much did the entire Ibiza trip cost you?

mr stroke

Hey David Guetta do you get tired of playing the same songs every week?

I don't know if this TomorrowLand Guetta stream could get more terrible ;o

curious how much did the entire Ibiza trip cost you?

Ibiza Rocks Hotel for the week cost £530. I took €1000 spending money and came back with nothing.

Alcohol is not cheap across there, in Ushuaïa I paid €36 for three bottles of Heineken, in Amnesia for one Vodka Coke it was €18. On the Sunset Strip (Cafe Mambo) it's about the same but it's a more chilled out atmosphere. What we did a few times was just buy some drink from a shop and drink it on the beach whilst watching the sunset and listening to whoever is playing at Cafe Mambo's.

Tickets for the events are reasonably priced though, you're looking at around €50 and they normally go on for 6-7 hours. If you're stopping in San Antonio you're looking at a 10-15 min taxi drive to get to the big clubs which costs around €20.

You can do down the West End for a cheap night (three drinks for €10) but it's just like Magaluf, so expect promoter's to stop you every 10 yards and shots girls to never leave you alone.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I went to Ibiza last summer and it was a blast. The clubs there are crazy. Went to Amnesia and was floored at just how freaking massive the place is. The one weird thing is the parties go through daybreak, and as the sun start shining through the windows you look around and realize just how sweaty and disgusting the people around you are haha.

Overall really fun place. Definitely pricey though.

Talonz

GOD FUCKING DAMN this Axwell ^ Ingrosso set is absolutely nuts. I love Tomorrowland

Lol yeah that sounds about right. How were the crowds there?

Thanks for posting this. I was able to catch the last half of their set and it was amazing! They were great at Ultra too!

GOD FUCKING DAMN this Axwell ^ Ingrosso set is absolutely nuts. I love Tomorrowland

Lol yeah that sounds about right. How were the crowds there?

On a whole, really good. I think it helps that 90% of the people there, are there for the music.

One thing I did notice and it was mostly in Pacha is people don't have any manners these days. I'm not sure if it's cause I'm a smallish guy but people would continously try to walk through me in Pacha. It's a pretty packed place and there's not much room but a pat on the back or just a "Hey can I get by?" would be nice, it's something I always do.

mr stroke

wBj_x7aqk__Mmvi2RpJ8aM7uLL9JfvaS4wm_I3vJ4lFnX_K77gr0lFqxrh80MhiA9W9O9WYE=s500-c-e100-nu

https://pro.beatport.com/release/myrki-heima/1548759
https://play.google.com/store/music...rd_Myrki_Heima?id=Bd6hvru3ttzs4tdqfsikxfqny3e

01. Torshavn
02. If Grey Was the Colour of the Sun
03. Myrki Heima
04. Reykur
05. Sólsetur
06. Vetur Ljósin
07. The Sad and Troubled Oscillator
08. Molntus
09. Svefnlaus
10. 1922
11. Douch
12. Into Dawn
13. Metaphorsis

Amazing new album from Marcus Schössow, combining progressive house, techno and dark ambient sounds. Current contendor for my album of the year.

LTTP on this, but wow good shit. So many layers to the tracks. Dark and deep, I love it!!!!! (Surprised this is from Schossow, considering he generally plays so much cheesy big room garbage)

What's the feeling about trap/dubstep these days? This room seems to like more of the Prydz type of stuff. Please don't kill me, but Prydz doesn't really get me moving like trap does. I keep hearing that "dubstep is dead" and "trap is dead" but, I dunno, seems alive to me. It's what I like best, anyway.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What's the feeling about trap/dubstep these days? This room seems to like more of the Prydz type of stuff. Please don't kill me, but Prydz doesn't really get me moving like trap does. I keep hearing that "dubstep is dead" and "trap is dead" but, I dunno, seems alive to me. It's what I like best, anyway.

Nothing wrong with that, you like what you like. I personally don't like trap but my coworker is really into it, and some of the stuff he's sent me has been pretty good.

That being said, Prydz is a god.

cdyhybrid

It's like anything else - some good stuff, a lot of mediocre-bad stuff.

Jarnet87

I really dislike 95% of trap and dubstep but it's not dead, everytime I see festival lineups I see a ton of trap and dubstep artists on the list.

And like Cdhybrid said, Prdyz is god. Was jamming to some Mokba earlier at the gym. Been on more of a house kick lately. Really like Oliver Heldens and his weekly show but I listened to his Tomorrowland set and a few sets further back and they didn't do much for me.

I personally love trap. Electro and trap for me most of the time. Electro trap ftw! I've been getting into hardstyle as well because well I don't know I just like it.

Prydz is like EDM's GAF favorite go to artist. I enjoy him but not as much as most of the other members in here.

Kozak

Banned

trap/dubstep is whats in right now in Sydney (and maybe across Australia?)

Electro house is getting a bad rap atm down here though. It still fills a room and club but seems to be getting a lot of hate during this trap/dubstep/future bass phase.

Electro house is getting a bad rap atm down here though. It still fills a room and club but seems to be getting a lot of hate during this trap/dubstep/future bass phase.

That's interesting. Trap and dubstep seemed to peak in popularity here in the US around 2012 or 2013. Still my favorite though. In particular I've really been digging some of Diskord's stuff. I still like Zomboy from NZ and Datsik from Canada and Knife Party from Aus. Also into Dillon, and all the other big ones, DJ Snake, Yellowclaw, Skrillex, Diplo. And I'm not trying to be hipster when I say I don't like Lean On. It's just not a bass-heavy banger. Props to Diplo for making such a popular tune that's a little outside of his usual style.

And I really love house music too. I listened to a "future house" mix the other day that was just really good. Not sure what "future house" means exactly, but sounded good to me. I like how house just keeps the beat on and on forever it seems like.

Styles I really don't like are the big room, big anthem type styles. I want it low down, dirty, and glitchy.

Ashhong

Best site to DL live sets?? Preferably a site that covers everything not just pop dj's stuff.

www.1001tracklists.com has download links when available at the bottom of every setlist

I feel like trap is at its peak right now. I tuned into EDC this year and the majority of it was trap type music. Or Trip hop or whatever it's called. Prydz doesn't get me moving, but I can't stand the majority of trap. That drop hits and I'm like wtf is this, i can't dance to this. I like some though. Slander's remix of Allison Wonderlands "You Don't Know" gets me going every time. Not trap though like their other stuff.

mr stroke

Not much into Trap

Dubstep on the other hand I listen to quite a bit at the gym so its grown on me a lot over the years. Love listening to it live and raging at a festival too.

My current faves-

Bassnecter (never been to a show of his were he didn't kill it)
Datsik
Zomboy
RL Grime
DubLoadz
Skrillex
Nero

Wish D&B was still as popular as Dub/Trap though, really love old school melodic dark jungle-Roni Size, Goldie, LTJ Bukem, Doc Scott, etc...

That's interesting. Trap and dubstep seemed to peak in popularity here in the US around 2012 or 2013. Still my favorite though. In particular I've really been digging some of Diskord's stuff. I still like Zomboy from NZ and Datsik from Canada and Knife Party from Aus. Also into Dillon, and all the other big ones, DJ Snake, Yellowclaw, Skrillex, Diplo. And I'm not trying to be hipster when I say I don't like Lean On. It's just not a bass-heavy banger. Props to Diplo for making such a popular tune that's a little outside of his usual style.

And I really love house music too. I listened to a "future house" mix the other day that was just really good. Not sure what "future house" means exactly, but sounded good to me. I like how house just keeps the beat on and on forever it seems like.

Styles I really don't like are the big room, big anthem type styles. I want it low down, dirty, and glitchy.

Future house is just basically house + whatever. Can be deep house or anything. Same with future bass. Think of it as fusion food like tex mex.

Aomber

It depends who it is. I like pretty specific artists like many of the ones you mentioned in your next post but I'm not a huge bass head or anything. Bassnectar is fantastic too.

I like prydz but yeah I'm not as hugely in love with him as others here, I saw him at edc and it was awesome though, that said I really wanna see him in a different context.

Future house is basically groovy house music that has a pretty obvious "drop" and a melodic lead usually associated with sounds on the louder side. It's danceable house that can be appropriate for big crowds.

Personally my favorite kinda music right now isn't really a specific genre, the best way to describe it would be Pop-ish music with dance influence. Disclosure, madeon, Porter Robinson, Flume, Odesza, Zedd, CHVRCHES, Jack u/major lazer, etc. You get the idea :p I just REALLY love interesting chords and melodies that don't follow conventional edm structure in some shape or form

Here's the thing, and this is an edm problem in general with many genres, but electro house has a lot of "bubble gum"/ "me too" music. Like with all genres there's good and bad music, I encourage the fresh stuff but it gets tiring hearing tracks that are carbon copies.

It is an issue with edm as a whole though. If it's done right though I love a good main stage festival type mix

Aomber

new maceo pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeex

Wash Away My Tears

Solar Detroit

Brilliant as usual. Lord his album is gonna be something real good.

Those not familiar, try and see him live or at least check out his boiler room(s). Seeing him for my birthday again this year, so good.

Man he killed it at Tomorrowland when I watched the stream, I still need to catch him some time

Also those tracks are pretty great

Kozak

Banned
Here's the thing, and this is an edm problem in general with many genres, but electro house has a lot of "bubble gum"/ "me too" music. Like with all genres there's good and bad music, I encourage the fresh stuff but it gets tiring hearing tracks that are carbon copies.

It is an issue with edm as a whole though. If it's done right though I love a good main stage festival type mix

Yeah agreed which is why I think the scene rotates the "in" genre. Producers eventually start to make tracks that sound too alike, the fans start noticing, get tired and annoyed and so they move on to the next genre.

VINAI is a good example I think. Their tracks don't have the same level of support as their earlier works now and they've copped lot of "copy paste" flack.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This may be my favorite summer mix of the year:

Melodic Sounds Presents: MÖWE | Guest Mix

Never heard of this guy before seeing this mix pop up on my soundcloud feed but it is literally the perfect summertime mix. Very chill progressive and nu disco. I've listened to it at least 10+ times at this point.

Tracklist

Digital Farm Animals – True
Sam Feldt & The Him ft. ANGI3 – Midnight Hearts
Supermansfeinde – shine (MÖWE Remix)
KlangTherapeuten – A Million Times (Featuring AlexChristov)
Ted Ceadezy – save
Bilderbuch – softdrink (MÖWE Remix)
Jutty Ranx – I See You – (Pretty Pink Remix)
Olympique – Face Down The Earth (Urban Contact Remix)
Mozambo & Pakem & Kungs Ft. Julia Church – Soulmate
Bakermat – Teach me
Mokoa feat. Gutik – I´m Here
Matt Simons – Catch & Release (Deepend Remix)

Aomber

Yeah agreed which is why I think the scene rotates the "in" genre. Producers eventually start to make tracks that sound too alike, the fans start noticing, get tired and annoyed and so they move on to the next genre.

VINAI is a good example I think. Their tracks don't have the same level of support as their earlier works now and they've copped lot of "copy paste" flack.
Haha yep, I decided a while back just to not worry about that kind of thing as a writer. It's much more gratifying for me writing something meaningful than what's "hot" right now. At the end of the day, good music is good music, if people like it it'll rise up.

You'll like this video about Vinai, this guy layered 5 of their tracks and it sounds like one track hahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgslOUp3MM

This may be my favorite summer mix of the year:

Melodic Sounds Presents: MÖWE | Guest Mix

Never heard of this guy before seeing this mix pop up on my soundcloud feed but it is literally the perfect summertime mix. Very chill progressive and nu disco. I've listened to it at least 10+ times at this point.
I dig this, will continue listening

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm with him. I maybe wouldn't have thrown so many profanities in there, but the spirit of what he's saying is true. Fans are paying hundreds of dollars to go see some of these acts, and all they get out of it is a lifeless, boring hour-long act with no showmanship. Why wouldn't I just stay home and listen to your podcast instead of dragging my ass across town into a crowded festival where I'm going to be rubbing up against sweaty bros high off their faces just to listen to you play a pre-recorded playlist?

This is why I will follow certain DJs around and make sure to go see them every time I can. Max Graham puts on amazing shows week in week out. Laurent Garnier is another incredible life performer who is worth paying to go see because he creates sounds and mixes you could never find anywhere else, not even in his released tracks. Hardwell though? Avicii? Yeah they're popular and whatever, but you could just listen to their tracks at home and get the same experience as you would in a festival setting.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, I got dragged to part of Avicii's set at EDC, and it was fucking awful. Boring music, set had no flow, etc. etc.

Hardwell's hip hop set on the art car was pretty cool, though.

Anth0ny

I'm with him. I maybe wouldn't have thrown so many profanities in there, but the spirit of what he's saying is true. Fans are paying hundreds of dollars to go see some of these acts, and all they get out of it is a lifeless, boring hour-long act with no showmanship. Why wouldn't I just stay home and listen to your podcast instead of dragging my ass across town into a crowded festival where I'm going to be rubbing up against sweaty bros high off their faces just to listen to you play a pre-recorded playlist?

-big ass loud speakers playing loud music that you are interested in
-big ass stage with bright lights
-you're in a huge crowd with a bunch of excited people, and in the best case scenario, a group of friends
-drugs
-alcohol

those last two points especially turn a "lifeless" and "boring" show into something awesome and exciting. Obviously depends on the person, though.

Not saying I disagree with you or deadmau5 but there is certainly an appeal to the "play a CD" shtick that many DJs have at festivals. It's easy for the "performers", and people are willing to pay for it. Until they are no longer willing to pay, the DJs will keep doing it.

I'll be at Veld this weekend and went to Digital Dreams and Full Flex Express earlier in the year and had a BLAST at both shows. Maybe I'll get sick of them eventually but so far I've had a great time at these events. For me, it's a totally different experience than just listening to music on my speakers at home.

For me, it's almost ALL about the sound system when I go to a live show. I can never reproduce that level of sound in my house, never. I want to FEEL the bass in my body molecules. One of my greatest pleasures in life is standing right in front of a huge subwoofer while it's playing some low down dirty trap music.

Aomber

This is why I will follow certain DJs around and make sure to go see them every time I can. Max Graham puts on amazing shows week in week out. Laurent Garnier is another incredible life performer who is worth paying to go see because he creates sounds and mixes you could never find anywhere else, not even in his released tracks. Hardwell though? Avicii? Yeah they're popular and whatever, but you could just listen to their tracks at home and get the same experience as you would in a festival setting.
Hahaha that's Joel for ya. But yeah I'm with you, like I was listening to these sets at Tomorrowland and I thought, man these songs I've heard in my room are being played exactly as is, it's not all that exciting.

That sounds similar to the idea I've had for my own music I hope to do some day. I'm mostly interested in putting on a live performance rather than DJing, but I want to start making "live" versions of every song I release. Like, breaking every song into multiple tracks so I can manipulate them live and play over them with different instruments, while also making the songs themselves different from the original and more suitable for a live setting. That way it's not just me playing the originals as-is and gives the opportunity for the show to be a bit different every time.

Yeah, I got dragged to part of Avicii's set at EDC, and it was fucking awful. Boring music, set had no flow, etc. etc.

Hardwell's hip hop set on the art car was pretty cool, though.
I didn't see Avicii at EDC but I watched his set at Tomorrowland and I gotta say I was really disappointed, it was literally just a playlist of his own music.

-big ass loud speakers playing loud music that you are interested in
-big ass stage with bright lights
-you're in a huge crowd with a bunch of excited people, and in the best case scenario, a group of friends
-drugs
-alcohol

those last two points especially turn a "lifeless" and "boring" show into something awesome and exciting. Obviously depends on the person, though.

Not saying I disagree with you or deadmau5 but there is certainly an appeal to the "play a CD" shtick that many DJs have at festivals. It's easy for the "performers", and people are willing to pay for it. Until they are no longer willing to pay, the DJs will keep doing it.

I'll be at Veld this weekend and went to Digital Dreams and Full Flex Express earlier in the year and had a BLAST at both shows. Maybe I'll get sick of them eventually but so far I've had a great time at these events. For me, it's a totally different experience than just listening to music on my speakers at home.
I don't think Joel is saying it's not fun, and I agree I have a great time when I go to Tomorrowland or something. But I can see what he means from a showman's and musician's perspective. The potential to do more is there.

You're right though, the reason DJs don't do it is because of convenience. Show up to X festival with a USB stick, pop it into CDJs and off to the races you go.

Deadly

Agreed. Deadmau5 is totally right. I watched Porter Robinson's live Worlds set on the Coachella stream and it looked AMAZING. If everyone would do shit like that it would be fantastic but I doubt it'll ever happen.

And while I don't enjoy it myself there's a certain place for pre-recorded shit that makes the crowd go crazy. See: Steve Aoki

Aomber

Agreed. Deadmau5 is totally right. I watched Porter Robinson's live Worlds set on the Coachella stream and it looked AMAZING. If everyone would do shit like that it would be fantastic but I doubt it'll ever happen.

And while I don't enjoy it myself there's a certain place for pre-recorded shit that makes the crowd go crazy. See: Steve Aoki

Lolol

QS3n7lK.png

jambo

Indecent Noise made a fantastic classics mix last week, 4 hours worth!

https://soundcloud.com/indecentnoise/indecent-noise-mental-asylum-day-2015-classic-mix

01. Da Hool - Meet Her At The Loveparade (Hooligan's 2001 Club Mix)
02. Dr. Motte & Westbam - Love Parade 2000 (One World One Love Parade)
03. Cohen vs. Tim Deluxe - Just Kick (Carl Cox Remix)
04. Remy & Roland Klinkenberg - Till Ya Drop
05. Members of Mayday - Sonic Empire
06. Azzido Da Bass - Dooms Night (Timo Maas Remix)
07. Lexy & K-Paul - Freak
08. Fatboy Slim - Star 69
09. Ferry Corsten - Punk
10. Emjay - Make Some Noise (Terrace Club Mix)
11. Philippe B - Like You Do
12. Gigi D'Agostino - Bla Bla Bla (Abbentenza Mix)
13. ATB - The Summer
14. Sash - Ecuador
15. Alice DeeJay - Better Off Alone
16. CRW - I Feel Love (R.A.F. Zone Mix)
17. 4 Strings - Daytime (Vocal Club Mix)
18. CJ Stone - Shining Star (Moonrise Vocal Mix)
19. Kyau vs. Albert - Kiksu
20. Enigma - Push The Limits (ATB Remix)
21. Marc Et Claude - Loving You (Dark Moon Remix)
22. DJ Bjorn - Tracking
23. Kai Tracid - Too Many Times (Yoda Remix)
24. Schiller - Das Glockenspiel (DJ Tiesto Remix)
25. Vitae - Energy Flow
26. Gouryella - Tenshi
27. Mythos & DJ Cosmo - Hymn (Airscape Remix)
28. Scooter - No Fate (Trance Mix)
29. ATB - Let You Go
30. Ayla - Singularity (Brainchild II)
31. DJ Sakin & Friends - Protect YourMind (Braveheart) (Suspicious Remix)
32. Kaycee - Escape 2 (Classic Club Mix)
33. ATB - 9PM (Till I Come) (Matt Darey Remix)
34. Spoiled & Zigo - More & More (Instrumental)
35. Svenson & Gielen - Twisted (Energy Mix)
36. Marc Et Claude - Tremble (I Love Trance Mix)
37. Tukan - Light A Rainbow (CJ Stone Remix)
38. Delerium - Silence (Airscape Remix)
39. DJ Sammy - Rise Again
40. Perpetuous Dreamer - Dust.wav (Rising Star Mix)
41. PPK - Resurrection (Space Club Mix)
42. Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes (Rob Searle Remix)
43. Trance Allstars - Lost In Love (ATB Remix)
44. Groove Coverage - Moonlight Shadow (Warp Brothers Remix)
45. Green Court - Silent Heart (Flutlicht Remix)
46. Space Frog - (X-Ray) Follow Me (Mr Bishi Remix)
47. Members of Mayday - 10 in 01 (Paul van Dyk Remix)
48. The Thrillseekers - Synaesthesia (Ferry Corsten Remix)
49. Mirco De Govia - Epic Monolith
50. Agnelli & Nelson - Everyday (John O'Callaghan Re-edit)
51. Jurgen Vries - The Theme (Dumonde Remix)
52. Sunbeam - One Minute In Heaven
53. Marc Aurel - Running (Dumonde Remix)
54. Dumonde - Just Feel Free
55. Storm - We Love (Mellow Trax Remix)
56. Blank & Jones - Beyond Time (Darude vs. JS16 Remix)
57. Darude - Next To You (Remix)
58. Beam & Yanou - The Sound of Love (Airscape & Des Mitchell Remix)
59. Solange - Messages (Gouryella Remix)
60. Triple S - Fly With Me (21st Century) (Sunbeam Remix)
61. Era - Looking For Something (Darren Tate Remix)
62. Jam & Spoon - Be.Angeled
63. Faithless feat. Dido - One Step Too Far
64. Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun (Solar Stone Chill out Mix)
65. Motorcycle - As The Rush Comes (Gabriel & Dresden Chill Out Mix)
66. Chicane - Saltwater (Thrillseekers Ambient Mix)
67. Above & Beyond - Satellite (Acoustic)

Top Bottom