• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

mr stroke

Holly shit Chemical Brothers owned my ass last night at HARD, Absolute destruction.

FSfguYe.jpg

mr stroke

The bottom of the tracklists usually have the download link to the entire set.

Anybody going to HARD tomorrow?

Had a great weeknd.(outside of the UBER cluster fuck)

1. Chemical Bros
2.Jack U
3. Weeknd

Jack U was absolutely bonkers, they played a bunch of hit mixed with dubstep/trap/hardstyle and a ton of cameos: Beiber, Aluna George, and 2 Chainez
Fun party music.

Aomber

My buddy went to a deadmau5 after party for Veld in Toronto last night. Hardwell played first then Joel played – for 5 hours.

Said it was the best set he's ever seen. I'm super fucking jelly.

chris121580

I mentioned it about a month ago in this thread and it's just gotten better over time...the debut album by George Fitzgerald is just fantastic. Sadly it seems a lot of people are sleeping on it...definitely check it out.

cdyhybrid

Saw this on LATIMES today:

L.A. supervisor calls for temporary ban on raves after 2 young women die of apparent overdoses

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...festival-in-pomona-20150802-story.html#page=1

: /

This doesn't sound good for rave scene. People really need to take care of themselves.

Maybe if they allowed drug testing outreach groups to set up shop at the raves these idiot kids wouldn't be dying.

The government and politicians have no one to blame but themselves.

Aomber

Maybe if they allowed drug testing outreach groups to set up shop at the raves these idiot kids wouldn't be dying.

The government and politicians have no one to blame but themselves.
Tough subject. I saw a whole panel about this at EDMBiz.

In short they said: on one hand, it provides safer drugs. On the other hand, that admits it's a problem and encourages more people to bring them.

cdyhybrid

Tough subject. I saw a whole panel about this at EDMBiz.

In short they said: on one hand, it provides safer drugs. On the other hand, that admits it's a problem and encourages more people to bring them.

You can't fix the problem unless you admit it exists. The War On Drugs is a complete failure.

Kozak

Banned
Yo guys, whats good!

Over the weekend I played a set in Australia's YOUR SHOT competition.

80 contestants were given 25 minute time slots to perform a set and the winner gets to play at STERESONIC and another over seas festival. I didn't win but it was an awesome experience (best experience of my life so far actually and definitely life changing) and the contacts made are invaluable.

My set was big room/electro/bounce. Tried to make the biggest impact in 25 minutes I could and I thought it worked well.

You can have a listen to my set here:

https://soundcloud.com/sabit-kozak/sabo-your-shot-2015-set

Track List:

• 1 Waiting for love (Dricee remix) Avicii vs. Damn Dan & Dricee
  • 2 Raise Your Hands / stay the night
  • 3 Will Sparks - Flutatious
  • 4 Crunk (Afrojack Edit)Karim Mika & Daniel Forster
  • 5 California Energizer Sander Van Doorn Vs TJR Vs 2Pac
  • 6 Like That (Original Mix) Bassjackers
  • 7 Disclosure ft Sam Smith -Latch (Joel Fletcher remix)
  • 8 Flashlight - R3hab & Deorro
  • 9 Forever (Original Mix) SCNDL feat. Godwolf
  • 10 Bounce Generation
  • 11 Lloyd Banks -Beamer, Benz Or Bentley (New World Sound Remix)
  • 12 Burn (Dirty) KSHMR & Dallask
  • 13 Summer (R3hab And Ummet Ozcan Remix) Calvin Harris
  • 14 California Energizer Sander Van Doorn Vs TJR Vs 2Pac
  • 15 Secrets (Original Mix) Tiesto/KSHMR/Vassy
  • 16 Toca (Original Mix)Carnage feat Timmy Trumpet & KSHMR
  • 17 Big Bang (Original Mix)twoloud
  • 18 FourFiveSeconds (Brynny Quicky Bootleg)

Aomber

Madison Square Garden? They must be pretty sure of themselves to book an arena that big...
I got West GA tickets for it, very excited, I was surprised too that they were playing it but there ya go haha

I mean I guess when I think about it they have had some pretty smash hits

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I discovered today that one of my favorite genres of music actually has a name. So now instead of calling it "chill and melodic deep house you can listen to on the beach while sipping a pina colada" I can just call it "tropical house." And I have to say the name is pretty apt. Think Kygo, MOWE, and Klingande. And this:

Melodic Sounds Presents: De Hofnar | Guest Mix

Tracklist

Suzanne Vega – Tom’s Diner (Elior Rework)
Alina Baraz & Galimatias – Fantasy (Felix Jaehn Remix)
Lost Frequencies – Reality (ft. Janiek Devy)
Gamper & Dadoni – Far From Home (ft. Cozy)
Jaymes Young – I’ll Be Good (FABICH Remix)
Alesso ft. John Englisch – Cool (Autograf Remix)
Gostan – Klanga (De Hofnar Remix)
Zwette ft. Molly – Rush (Sam Feldt Remix)
Marvin Gaye – Sexual Healing (SNBRN Remix)
Kav Verhouzer & De Hofnar – Forget Who We Are (ft. Julia Church)
Mazeville – I Gotta (Bad Habit)
Gregory Porter – Liquid Spirit (Claptone Remix)
Tiesto – Lehtal Industry (De Hofnar & The Techtives Remix)

cdyhybrid

I have so much music I need to listen to but I have The International on all day.

This must be how Steam Sale fiends feel about their gaming backlog.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Can't you put on music while you watch The International? My favorite thing about games like Dota or HotS is that I can listen to my own music while I play.

Unfortunately I generally play single player games (Witcher 3 holla) so I don't get to mix my soundtrack with the game often.

cdyhybrid

Can't you put on music while you watch The International?

I could, but I want to hear the game sounds and the casting :p

Just becomes too much noise at a certain point. I do enjoy the music pack that deadmau5 made for the game though. Groovy stuff but not too attention-grabbing so I can have it on in the background.

Anth0ny

Uh... wow. What exactly are they trying to prove with this? Banning a hashtag?

Anyways, I was at Veld over the weekend. Unfortunately due to weather everyone was kicked out halfway through day two. Just before Laidback Luke and Hardwell were about to come out. And no refunds!

I got my tickets in March and was looking forward to seeing Hardwell live for the entire summer ; _ ;

Also, deadmau5 played to close out Saturday night. Honestly, you could tell the crowd wasn't into it at all. After a full day of standing and raving, dude's set was basically a lullaby. Most of the crowd started filing out halfway through, myself included.

He started mocking the crowd at some point, too. His usual schtick. "Everybody put your hands up!" he says. For the first time during his set, the crowd actually gets excited and makes some noise. He comes back with "Wow, I can't believe that shit actually still works". He got some light boos, but it was mostly indifference. You could tell the crowd was tired and deadmau5 was putting everyone to sleep.

I think back to Digital Dreams earlier in the year, where they closed out the day with Martin Garrix and Zedd... pure excitement and fun with those guys. it seemed like deadmau5 didn't want to be there.

overall, it was a fun weekend, but day 2 getting cancelled halfway through was a super bummer.

mr stroke

Funny its like were in a complete 360 again. This is what happened in the early 2000's: Kids ODing left and right, parents getting pissed off(Girl sues Insomniac taking EDC out of LA)
then bam the scene disappears for awhile.....

and now you have LA politicians trying to Ban raves/festivals in SoCal again :\

IMO these events are now 18+. You are an Adult, if you kill you're self for being stupid it's your fault. Deal with it, don't ban music because of unresposcable kids.

cdyhybrid

Also, deadmau5 played to close out Saturday night. Honestly, you could tell the crowd wasn't into it at all. After a full day of standing and raving, dude's set was basically a lullaby. Most of the crowd started filing out halfway through, myself included.

He started mocking the crowd at some point, too. His usual schtick. "Everybody put your hands up!" he says. For the first time during his set, the crowd actually gets excited and makes some noise. He comes back with "Wow, I can't believe that shit actually still works". He got some light boos, but it was mostly indifference. You could tell the crowd was tired and deadmau5 was putting everyone to sleep.

I think back to Digital Dreams earlier in the year, where they closed out the day with Martin Garrix and Zedd... pure excitement and fun with those guys. it seemed like deadmau5 didn't want to be there.

You're free to like what you want, but this is his entire point perfectly illustrated - the crowd gets excited by the DJ screaming for people to put their hands up, not for the music.

Aomber

Anyways, I was at Veld over the weekend. Unfortunately due to weather everyone was kicked out halfway through day two. Just before Laidback Luke and Hardwell were about to come out. And no refunds!

I got my tickets in March and was looking forward to seeing Hardwell live for the entire summer ; _ ;

overall, it was a fun weekend, but day 2 getting cancelled halfway through was a super bummer.
That usually happens with crowds at EDM festivals like that because, nothing personal, but those crowds really don't "get" prog house. Mau5 has never been a traditional mainstage EDM act and people go into his shows expecting bangers are usually disappointed (like the acts you named). That's why he generally plays more diverse music festivals, eg. Glastonbury, Governor's Ball, than just the regular EDM ones.

IMO these events are now 18+. You are an Adult, if you kill you're self for being stupid it's your fault. Deal with it, don't ban music because of unresposcable kids.
I agree, but that said I still think EDM festivals should be 21+.

That was easily my number 1 gripe with EDC Vegas after having been to TomorrowWorld and Mysteryland. Even Tomorrowland actually, I guess because there's generally an older crowd since it's expensive to go to. But yeah, it's just such a different vibe, you get the feeling more people are there for the music and just overall aren't as irresponsible. Even the head of Insomniac's ground control said during EDMBiz that the 18-20 year olds were by far the biggest issue in terms of health & safety.

Kozak

Banned
The same thing Anth0ny describes happened in Australia FMF14 as well. After Hardwell, Deadmau5 started playing and people used it as exiting music.

As much shit Deadmau5 likes to talk about DJs, its very clear that he isn't a good DJ imo.

You're free to like what you want, but this is his entire point perfectly illustrated - the crowd gets excited by the DJ screaming for people to put their hands up, not for the music.

I think that's okay. I mean, they label these things as "festivals", "events". I think its okay to be "festive" and not be there just for the music.

In my experience with festivals, the crowd roar because they are at a sick event with people their own age, listening to dance music, getting fucked up, lasers in the face and are surrounded by sexy people with barely any clothes on.

Anyone could get on mic at that point and say "scream if you like to finger your asshole and taste your finger" and everyone would roar. Its just in the moment.

Aomber

The same thing Anth0ny describes happened in Australia FMF14 as well. After Hardwell, Deadmau5 started playing and people used it as exiting music.

As much shit Deadmau5 likes to talk about DJs, its very clear that he isn't a good DJ imo.

Because he's not a DJ. At least not at festivals.

Anyway whatever you think about his festival shows, his club sets are incredible (if you like techno), check it out

Deadmau5 - Exclusive Audio Stream @ XS Nightclub Las Vegas [26.07.2014]

Anth0ny

I agree, but that said I still think EDM festivals should be 21+.

Agreed. I think Veld is a 16+ event, which is crazy to me and made me feel old as hell. Anyone that was 19+ got a green wrist band that let them buy alcohol. I saw a lot of younger looking people without a wrist band...

I get that 16 year olds have lots of money from their parents or are just starting to work and anxious to spend money on these things... but it's crazy.

/oldmanyellingatcloud

Aomber

I know he's not which is why he should avoid festivals where people are expecting a DJ to launch bangers on them.

Too tired of him collecting a paycheck and then proceeding to shit on those who got him that paycheck.
But that's exactly what's wrong with mainstage at EDM festivals - lack of diversity. It's this expectation that people feel the need to meet without making an attempt at pushing the envelope. You even have armin van buuren and above & beyond showing up to EDC and playing straight up bigroom sets. It's ridiculous.

If you think he was just doing it for the paycheck, do you honestly think he'd show up with his multi million dollar stage to these festivals? Probably not, I'd argue that he has the balls to play non traditional mainstage music on an EDM mainstage, making an attempt to educate the audience to music that's danceable, not just break/drop/break/drop/break/drop.

I'm not saying I dislike that stuff, I enjoy it for what it is and in its fair doses, but it's gotten to a point where it's like "you hear one guy, you've heard them all". I say good on him for being different.

My $0.02

EDIT: Also it's been done by others.

Eric Prydz Live @ Ultra Music Festival 2014

cdyhybrid

I think that's okay. I mean, they label these things as "festivals", "events". I think its okay to be "festive" and not be there just for the music.

In my experience with festivals, the crowd roar because they are at a sick event with people their own age, listening to dance music, getting fucked up, lasers in the face and are surrounded by sexy people with barely any clothes on.

Anyone could get on mic at that point and say "scream if you like to finger your asshole and taste your finger" and everyone would roar. Its just in the moment.

Music festivals. The idea that the music isn't the main attraction doesn't really stand up when these guys are up on 100 foot+ stages and have 50,000+ people looking squarely at the guy directing the music the entire time. Are you going to the festival to hear Hardwell scream into the mic or are you going to the festival to dance to Hardwell bangers?

Now, I do agree that deadmau5 probably doesn't fit the main stage mold at most of these music festivals, but I don't think the main stage should be solely for the same color-by-numbers big room bangers that already fill most of its line-up. I think it's good that these festivals put acts from other genres up there, because 1) it allows fans of that artist/genre to also experience the (usually) higher level of production/visuals that come with the main stage, and 2) it gives people that would only stay at the main stage a taste of other genres, potentially getting them interested in other acts and in exploring other parts/stages of the festival.

Honestly, if that many people are only interested in partying with big room bangers in the background, they should just have a festival solely dedicated to that. I go to big festivals like EDC to see all the different stages and see DJs/performers I either normally don't get to see or that play in a genre I'm starting to explore.

Aomber

Agreed. I think Veld is a 16+ event, which is crazy to me and made me feel old as hell. Anyone that was 19+ got a green wrist band that let them buy alcohol. I saw a lot of younger looking people without a wrist band...

I get that 16 year olds have lots of money from their parents or are just starting to work and anxious to spend money on these things... but it's crazy.

/oldmanyellingatcloud
Yeah that's pretty ridiculous, I actually had the displeasure of going to an all ages event recently. I say displeasure because within 20 minutes of arriving I'd been asked by kids if I had molly on me, if I could buy them drinks, etc etc. I promptly left after it happening just one too many times.

I could ramble a lot about the alcohol/drugs abuse with the younger crowds but to be real that's the reason here in the states clubs are 21+. At this point it really shouldn't be different with EDM festivals, it's unfortunate but the younger crowd does have an issue with the way they handle these events.

Music festivals. The idea that the music isn't the main attraction doesn't really stand up when these guys are up on 100 foot+ stages and have 50,000+ people looking squarely at the guy directing the music the entire time. Are you going to the festival to hear Hardwell scream into the mic or are you going to the festival to dance to Hardwell bangers?

Now, I do agree that deadmau5 probably doesn't fit the main stage mold at most of these music festivals, but I don't think the main stage should be solely for the same color-by-numbers big room bangers that already fill most of its line-up. I think it's good that these festivals put acts from other genres up there, because 1) it allows fans of that artist/genre to also experience the (usually) higher level of production/visuals that come with the main stage, and 2) it gives people that would only stay at the main stage a taste of other genres, potentially getting them interested in other acts and in exploring other parts/stages of the festival.

Honestly, if that many people are only interested in partying with big room bangers in the background, they should just have a festival solely dedicated to that. I go to big festivals like EDC to see all the different stages and see DJs/performers I either normally don't get to see or that play in a genre I'm starting to explore.
Spot on. When I went to EDC Vegas to be honest the mainstage was pretty predictable so I didn't stick around very long there. I know I wasn't the only one with that opinion because the other stages were absolutely packed during sets like Flume, Bassnectar, Eric Prydz, GAIA, Disclosure, etc.

mr stroke

Saw this on LATIMES today:

L.A. supervisor calls for temporary ban on raves after 2 young women die of apparent overdoses

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...festival-in-pomona-20150802-story.html#page=1

: /

This doesn't sound good for rave scene. People really need to take care of themselves.

Kids go and shoot up movie theaters & schools= We can't ban guns, everyone should be armed, more gun education and testing!

Kid dies at a Music Festival=Ban RAVES!

The irony of this country
LOL

Ashhong

Just discovered Eric Prydz - Opus. WTF? Epic fucking song wow. This video of him closing EDC with it is bonkers. It's like a 3 minute build up and just never stops. I would fucking die if I heard this while rolling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvmExCLk0XQ

Had a great weeknd.(outside of the UBER cluster fuck)

1. Chemical Bros
2.Jack U
3. Weeknd

Jack U was absolutely bonkers, they played a bunch of hit mixed with dubstep/trap/hardstyle and a ton of cameos: Beiber, Aluna George, and 2 Chainez
Fun party music.

I was only there Saturday. Not my type of music but I enjoyed it. I've been wanting to hear DJ Snake's Aluna George remix and Lean On live, so that made my whole day hearing those. Wish I saw Jack U on Sunday though

cdyhybrid

Just discovered Eric Prydz - Opus. WTF? Epic fucking song wow. This video of him closing EDC with it is bonkers. It's like a 3 minute build up and just never stops. I would fucking die if I heard this while rolling.

His set was ridiculous. IIRC, he opened with a mashup of Generate, and then played IDs the rest of the way. Four of them came out on the EP he released a few weeks back.

Ashhong

His set was ridiculous. IIRC, he opened with a mashup of Generate, and then played IDs the rest of the way. Four of them came out on the EP he released a few weeks back.

Listening to it now. This dude is a monster. I must see him live

Anybody going to Dreamstate?? So hyped

Dreamstate-02.jpg

mr stroke

I was only there Saturday. Not my type of music but I enjoyed it. I've been wanting to hear DJ Snake's Aluna George remix and Lean On live, so that made my whole day hearing those. Wish I saw Jack U on Sunday though

Wait don't tell me you missed the Chem Bros? That set was life changing

Ashhong

Wait don't tell me you missed the Chem Bros? That set was life changing

We left early...around 10:20 after seeing a little of Dillon. I saw some of the Chem Bros set as I was leaving though lol. Sounded pretty good, but I did NOT want to be stuck in that traffic later

Top Bottom