• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

eFootball (Konami) - 2024/25 season update out now

clarky

Gold Member
Honestly I don't know but i don't think so. It's mostly intended for solo master league and local vs play. The old fashioned way.
Limited to PC offline kinda fucks it for us. There's only me who's got with the times unfortunately.

SomeGit

Fox Engine was also Unreal, all Konami's game will have been unreal since the late 90's they would have just been paying the full publisher license to debadge the engine, customise and re-use it as many times as they wanted prior to the free commercial license.

Look at the 1997 animation system in the original ISS game. no other engine was remotely close, even iDTech. It has always been Unreal.
Why do you keep saying these things, every topic I see you spout non stop BS? No, Konami didn't use Unreal since the late 90s, hell the best Pro Evos (4 to 6) used Renderware.
And no Fox Engine is not based on Unreal. And 97 they sure as hell wouldn't use Unreal since it was only released in 98, especilly on the PS1 which Unreal never supported.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
There is a gap but it’s small, even with better gameplay PES was getting outsold 40 to 1 by FIFA
There is no decent football game on the market, so there is a gap., Left by PES. it doesn't need to sell gang busters to be the cool kid on the block.

PaintTinJr

Why do you keep saying these things, every topic I see you spout non stop BS? No, Konami didn't use Unreal since the late 90s, hell the best Pro Evos (4 to 6) used Renderware.
And no Fox Engine is not based on Unreal. And 97 they sure as hell wouldn't use Unreal since it was only released in 98, especilly on the PS1 which Unreal never supported.
Possibly on PC, much like it was inferior engines for many ports that used renderware, but ISS Pro/PES/WE has always been PlayStation as their 1st target platform bread and butter and that is certainly not below average Renderware porting like PS2 monekyballl, it is NDA with unspecified engine that could do everything that only UE could do like that at the time , but feel free to keep suggest that their was others it could have been if you want, I will happily change opinion if you can make anything other than moddfied UE sound credible.

SomeGit

Possibly on PC, much like it was inferior engines for many ports that used renderware, but ISS Pro/PES/WE has always been PlayStation as their 1st target platform bread and butter and that is certainly not below average Renderware porting like PS2 monekyballl, it is NDA with unspecified engine that could do everything that only UE could do like that at the time , but feel free to keep suggest that their was others it could have been if you want, I will happily change opinion if you can make anything other than moddfied UE sound credible.
No, PS2 PES was also Renderware, the same Renderware modding tools were used on all versions of PES, PS2/Xbox/PC, it's even on the credits of the game, it's on the back of the box even, there were press releases of the time mentioning that it was Renderware. A simple google search will show you that it's fucking Renderware.
I don't care to change your opinion, you can keep all delusions you want, but find me one (1) that even implies that it's UE, I'll save you the work you won't because PS2 and PS1 PES shares nothing with UE. And that goes for other Konami games of the era.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

No, PS2 PES was also Renderware, the same Renderware modding tools were used on all versions of PES, PS2/Xbox/PC, it's even on the credits of the game, it's on the back of the box even, there were press releases of the time mentioning that it was Renderware. A simple google search will show you that it's fucking Renderware.
I don't care to change your opinion, you can keep all delusions you want, but find me one (1) that even implies that it's UE, I'll save you the work you won't because PS2 and PS1 PES shares nothing with UE. And that goes for other Konami games of the era.
Looking at dates for Renderware, UE and KCET versions of ISS/PES I woud concede that PES 6 is actually credited on Renderware's wiki games list so is logical that all the prior versions are Renderware too, which is impressive how advance the engine was on PS1/PS2 for using all of the hardware ..assuming the correct. Time lines with EA taking Renderware when they bought out Criterion and then EA said the engine wasn't good enough for 360/PS3 HD gen and abandoned development in favour of UE, which would have left Konami high and dry. The resulting early technical issues of PES on 360/PS3 suggest that either Konami fixed the defunct engine themselves....or moved to UE or.... Unity. Unless we think Fox engine was still Renderware just reengineered by Konami to advance it and maintain it that long?

Either way, I now agree that all pre-EA acquisition evidence says that Konami's games like (MGS and) ISS/WE/PES were all very high quality examples of Renderware.

Madjaba

I've always played both this one and FIFA because they both bring something different.
But this year I'm ending my long term relationship with FIFA, I'm done with what FUT is now so even though there are micro transactions in eFootball, the game is clearly no pay to win vs FUT.

I've played 2 games and liked what I saw there. Need to play more but I'm already scared of the sparse playerbase (10k on Steam this morning)...

eFootball deserves way better.

PaintTinJr

Couldn't get used to the new button layout.
Fortunately I still have PES 21.
Yeah, by default the controls are set for Fifa players. It took me a day playing at easier difficulties to work it out, but this IMHO is the best configuration and should be in the game to select this way as Classic 2021 controls

f9DBdL0.jpeg
DkuLly2.jpeg
9O3TfCS.jpeg
fIBkolW.jpeg
GnFnOuA.jpeg

Melfice7

Yeah, by default the controls are set for Fifa players. It took me a day playing at easier difficulties to work it out, but this IMHO is the best configuration and should be in the game to select this way as Classic 2021 controls

f9DBdL0.jpeg
DkuLly2.jpeg
9O3TfCS.jpeg
fIBkolW.jpeg
GnFnOuA.jpeg
should be player-oriented instead of ball-oriented and also direction guide off

PaintTinJr

should be player-oriented instead of ball-oriented and also direction guide off
They are small choice like camera view, although I'd argue ball-orientation works better when selecting nearest player manually with r-stick so I'd always want to be the game's conductor (and played a lot of offline two player) rather than trade that for more precision at the active player, but would love to see a video showing the pros and cons of both

Melfice7

player oriented makes a huge difference while manually defending and anticipating plays, you can switch to the player you want much faster and precisely (still not perfect though)

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Bloody good wasn’t it, I’d played plenty football games with friends beforehand, but this is the first one I actually liked…

It's still better than a lot of other football games out there. I occasionally play it on my Miyoo Mini Plus. This and PES 6 are the two GOATs of football games. PES 21 was fine. I didn't play PES 13 much when it was popular, so I don't know much about it.

I think this game and especially this new version is one of the best games EVER in terms of mechanics. But the current design and gameplay loop is AWFUL GARBAGE.

Ridiculously shit game mode for real football fans - when all the opponent's players are 102 and 101 overall, you'll have defenders that are slow IRL running as fast as a bike when trying to press. The game has amazingly well adjusted player overalls, this means 100 is really 100 and something like 72 is really 72. Your average person will upgrade all their players and you will come up against 102 Goalkeeper, 100 forward, 103 midfielder - it's just fantasy garbage, players running faster than the ball, reduced inertia, players jumping much farther than they should at times

So much realism potential just thrown away. Make no mistake - this game has amazing ball physics, fully manual ball traveling, great foot-planting, great and (now even better) animations. It shits all over EAFC's idea of football, but not their idea of game.

There absolutely needs to be a real team mode, with real player overalls. A simulation mode if you will. For instance I play on full manual and it's plenty possible to win still, even with a team of regular overall players, tweaked to their real characteristics, but 80% of the time you will see terrible garbage that's not possible IRL and the more I see it, the more disappointed I get.

To me, this is the most underutilized game ON THE MARKET, maybe ever

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Only fuckers with no taste. International football all the way :)
Is that the one on the C64 ? If it is i did play it a little bit as my mate had it. I used to think they were posh bastards because they had a C64 and it was on cartridge! :)

PaintTinJr

Is that the one on the C64 ? If it is i did play it a little bit as my mate had it. I used to think they were posh bastards because they had a C64 and it was on cartridge! :)
No, I think you are mistaking it for either Emlyn Huges' Soccer, or if more managerial with a penalty shoot out like eFootball's daily challenge penalty then that was Footballer of the Year IIRC.

PaintTinJr

player oriented makes a huge difference while manually defending and anticipating plays, you can switch to the player you want much faster and precisely (still not perfect though)
Defending has always been the thing I've found easiest in ISS/PES/eFootball after a week or so to adapt to changes, and I'd argue ball oriented makes that easier because you can pick a player closer to the goal(further away) easier to set your last stand while using an AI press as the opposition develop their attack, which the position of your last stand defender puppeteers the AI controlled defender running lines, allowing for better timings to then select a defender closest the ball - that is goal side - to steal possession or to show them into a cul-de-sac or away to the corner flag IMO.

Against the Computer controlled teams I wouldn't be surprised if your choice is better for defending because the game can add latency for player selection, but against human players that are strategizing for free space - that might be offscreen - for an attack, ball orientation guarantees the camera gets there ahead of tracking a receiving player, giving extra time to manually select and setup for the attacking wave IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom