• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinSoX

Banned
ari said:
blue dragon will still sell atleast a million.... i fell sorry for lair.

Quite possible since it has sold more than 200,000 units in Japan (correct me if I'm wrong). 800,000 copies for the rest of the territories is reasonsable.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
beelzebozo said:
ditto.
no triple-a, no play

Really?

You'd miss a lot of great/unique/flawed but fun experiences if you did that.

TTP, can't you rent games? I was never going to buy LAIR (I just kind of wanted to hear the music and see the visuals on my TV), but I was always going to rent it. It's low-risk and very high reward.

Speevy

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
dont forget Mass effect which looks like a great sci fi Talking Sim !

All of Bioware's games are great talking sims. They will teach you how to have long conversations.

Tideas

Banned
omg rite said:
You're not going to be right. :p

Heheh, probability of being right as of this moment, 50% ;).

We will see. I predict, mmm, it will reach at least 1 million 1 month after it's been released in Europe, or earlier.

Save that too :D

traveler

Not Wario
GreekWolf said:
In a world of $60 games and tight budgets, 5 is abysmal.

You guys are missing the point. I'm not saying you should spend your money on an average game; I'm just saying that, on EGM's scale, 5.0 = average. Whether that is good enough for you to purchase is entirely irrelevant.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Y2Kev said:
Really?

You'd miss a lot of great/unique/flawed but fun experiences if you did that.

TTP, can't you rent games? I was never going to buy LAIR (I just kind of wanted to hear the music and see the visuals on my TV), but I was always going to rent it. It's low-risk and very high reward.

i guess i make exceptions. toy commander was one of my favorite dreamcast games and got blasted by gamespot. no regrets.

for the most part, i pick and choose stuff by my own tastes, sticking mostly to the stuff that's above the 8.0 range from most outlets. it's a safe system, but it works.

derder

Okay.

I have Lair pre-ordered at overstock.com for 42 shipped. Should I cancel it or beat it and turn it into credit towards rock band?

Will I be able to get ~40 dollars out of it at EB(edge) or Gamecrazy?

Terribly specific, but should provide a simple yes or no solution.

Tideas

Banned
Scalpel Knight said:
Does the "casual" market know about this game? Is it made up of PS3 owners? It will sell MILLIONS?

There's enough blind Sony fans to get this game pass a million, EGM score be damned ;).

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
gbovo said:
I guess I now know why Sony didn't highlight Lair at their E3 conference.
Do you think Sony will still go ahead and publish it?

Y2Kev

beelzebozo said:
i guess i make exceptions. toy commander was one of my favorite dreamcast games and got blasted by gamespot. no regrets.

for the most part, i pick and choose stuff by my own tastes, sticking mostly to the stuff that's above the 8.0 range from most outlets. it's a safe system, but it works.

Well, of course it works. I mean, unless your tastes don't line up on a particular game or something, you're never going to play a stinker. But you may miss some gems.

I guess if you aren't all that neurotic like I am it doesn't really matter.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
"- io interactive (kane and lynch) making a kids' game"

Hmm...is this the rumored Eidos Wii project?

Tideas

Banned
derder said:
Okay.

I have Lair pre-ordered at overstock.com for 42 shipped. Should I cancel it or beat it and turn it into credit towards rock band?

Will I be able to get ~40 dollars out of it at EB(edge) or Gamecrazy?

Terribly specific, but should provide a simple yes or no solution.

Cancel it, and send the $42 to me. And I'll use that to buy Lair, and tell you if it's good or not. Good deal?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Flo said:
What does some minor slowdown in a turn based battle system have to do with BD not being an AAA game?

Are you insane?

First of all, I asked if the slowdown was like it was in the demo.

And it was ABSOLUTELY NOT "minor". It was a huge noticeable issue in the demo. It made battles annoying to play. And if it's like that the whole game, friggin' of COURSE that has to do with it not being an AAA game.

Tideas

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
Do you think Sony will still go ahead and publish it?

This is by far, no offense, one of the nonsensical (euphamism for stupidest, again no offense), question I have ever seen on this board.

Off topic, but how the heck do I get an avatar :(. I don't see it on the option anywher

Tobor

Y2Kev said:
Well, of course it works. I mean, unless your tastes don't line up on a particular game or something, you're never going to play a stinker. But you may miss some gems.

On a game I'm unsure of, GAF is the equalizer. I've been around long enough to know who's impressions I trust.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Y2Kev said:

i rely on dudes like you to turn me to the obscure gems, kev! you've got that louis and clarke pioneer spirit in you.

AZ Greg

I guess we now know the real reason the LAIR demo kept getting pushed back and probably won't arrive until after the games launch.

Bebpo said:
Not to dispute your point, but do you like any games? You take shots at like everything :p

I think he was being sarcastic and poking fun at Spork for sarcastically making fun of the 360's RPG line-up this year.

Slavik81

beelzebozo said:
lair: 6.0, 5.5, 5.0
Unsurprising.

beelzebozo said:
mario strikers charged: 7.5, 7.5, 7.5
As expected. Although, I wouldn't have thought it would have gotten three identical scores.

beelzebozo said:
all pro football: 6.5, 6.5, 7.0
Saddening, but we knew this for the past couple weeks or so.

beelzebozo said:
blue dragon: 6.5, 7.5, 6.5
I certainly didn't expect that.

beelzebozo said:
persona 3: 8.5, 9.5, 9.5 game of the month
Nor this. Wow. I guess I'll have to pick this one up.

dejay

Banned
Wow - I watch a movie and come back to this. WOW.

Lair - I wasn't sure of but I didn't expect that score. Blue Dragon - I played the demo and I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one left totally unimpressed with the experience.

B-Ri

im still gonna get it, reviews werent going to stop me. Looks amazing and i like developers trying to do new things with the controller. If its anything like Rogue Squadron I or II then im all over it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tideas said:
Off topic, but how the heck do I get an avatar :(. I don't see it on the option anywher

User CP (top left) > Edit Profile > Additional Information section

neojubei said:
I'm over the scores now, so what are the EGM rumors?

edit
4 RPGs from Level 5?

I think sony needs more RPGs especially in Japan, so this is good. Maybe they are working overtime like Mistwalker.

Dragon quest 4 on the DS does not shock me.

microsoft better not, unless they want to replace all units with Elites.

And those are the rumors i care about....

you think PS3 will be getting those RPGs? :lol

RumFore

Banned
Every ****ing month reviews and anything worthwhile is on the net before I get my damn issue. Oh well, I look forward to reading the Lair review in two weeks.

Speevy

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Does Panzer Dragoon count?

I thought of that afterwards. We'll call that a rail shooter. PDO is the best aerial rail shooter ever.

Lair's a genre hybrid that's focused on dragons.

Frankly it's the best dragon game I've ever seen.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AZ Greg said:
I guess we now know the real reason the LAIR demo kept getting pushed back and probably won't arrive until after the games launch.

I'd you explain the HS demo then?

Oops :p

Tideas

Banned
Norml said:
I bet if Lair was on Wii with the same controls it would have scored way better.

Of course it will. If it was ont he Wii, the controls would have been the biggest innovation since slice bread.

Y2Kev

beelzebozo said:
i rely on dudes like you to turn me to the obscure gems, kev! you've got that louis and clarke pioneer spirit in you.

were lewis and clark this poor :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom