• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
belzebozo p3 should've been in the thread title :(

August 14, ****ing long ass wait.

Tideas said:
To offset this Lair thrashing, I put up the Gamepro review. Credit goes to BloodStainedVendetta at gamersliberationfront for this

GAMEPRO - 3.75/5 (A)

lol gamepro. i'd be upset that it didn't score 4.0 or higher on the funfactor scale if i were you.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Error said:
belzebozo p3 should've been in the thread title :(

August 14, ****ing long ass wait.

originally it was lair, persona 3, and mario strikers, but i realized blue dragon would be a big deal to some people and figured it should be there. judgment call i guess.

Speevy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
And what makes either of those mags any worse than EGM?

They score on 5 point scales and their scoring is so vague as to the actual quality of a given game, that hundreds and hundreds of games end up with the score 4/5

So when a game falls below that mark, something is wrong with it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
beelzebozo said:
originally it was lair, persona 3, and mario strikers, but i realized blue dragon would be a big deal to some people and figured it should be there. judgment call i guess.
You could've taken out Mario Strikers. :p

LOL EGM, LOL Gamepro, LOL Play...

Can we all come together and select one review source (that isn't EGM, Gamepro or Play) that we will all have to "agree" with, whether we actually do or not? I say Eurogamer.

Tobor

Speevy said:
They score on 5 point scales and their scoring is so vague as to the actual quality of a given game, that hundreds and hundreds of games end up with the score 4/5

So when a game falls below that mark, something is wrong with it.

But what will it score on X-play! That's the review that matters.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
jj984jj said:
You could've taken out Mario Strikers. :p

wii fans have been waiting on it. it was a big deal, too. and it scored better than two of the games that did make it into the thread title, to be fair.

Joe Molotov

jj984jj said:
:lol @ bitter tears for Lair and faith in a 7.5 GamePro review. Just buy the game if you want it, end of story.

Okay, so it's small and it leaks a little but it is the last life raft on the Titanic.

Kabuki Waq said:
wait? are you really asking this question seriously after having read their past reviews?

I don't really trust any mag or sites reviews as it is, but I don't think they're any worse than any other mag. it all comes down to be just selecting what mag they'll trust that month based on the review they give a game they're looking for. One month EGM isn't trustworthy and the next they are just as it goes with Famitsu (except that changes weekly)

Tideas

Banned
Tobor said:
It's not possible for Lair to sell millions. Put the shovel down and climb out of the hole.

Like I said, I have a feeling it will. Whether it does it in a month, or a year, it will sell a million, lol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Tobor

Tideas said:
Like I said, I have a feeling it will. Whether it does it in a month, or a year, it will sell a million, lol.

Now it's a million? You just cut your prediction in half! :lol

jj984jj

AltogetherAndrews said:

Can we all come together and select one review source (that isn't EGM, Gamepro or Play) that we will all have to "agree" with, whether we actually do or not? I say Eurogamer.
Or we could just buy the games and decide for ourselves.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
AltogetherAndrews said:

EDGE. Using IGN's scale. With 1up's personalities.

Seriously, EDGE or Eurogamer.

Speevy

Banned
Tideas said:

That guy who invented the pet rock, he made a million dollars.

omg rite said:
FF3 is traditional and awesome.

Based on the demo, BD is traditional and has an interesting, yet clunky interface and some of slow down in RPG history.

If the full game has that kind of slowdown, it doesn't deserve over a 7.5. It was a gamebreaker in the demo.

Edit: Though it's EGM. And let's face it, EGM lost complete respect in the gaming community, especially with reviews. They're overly hard on games just to be hardasses. When you have a magazine saying a Mega Man game is "too hard" as a... negative, something is wrong.
correct and don't forget the unfair review of Ultimate Ghouls and Ghosts. I never based my game purchases on EGM.

jj984jj said:
Or we could just buy the games and decide for ourselves.

Hippie. Besides, it will be a long time before we can buy these games for ourselves, and many arguments will happen before then. No, I say we pick one standard and swear by it.

rakka

Tideas said:

So basically this will sell better than any of Factor 5's games in the past 8 years? (including freaking star wars)

traveler

Not Wario
AltogetherAndrews said:

Can we all come together and select one review source that we will all have to "agree" with, whether we actually do or not? I say Eurogamer.

No. You all refer to these various sites and mags as if they represented a collective whole. The truth is (and, yes, I realize this is stating the obvious) it's the opinions of many people that make up any one source. Sometimes we will agree, sometimes we won't. There's no one RIGHT site. (Hence the value offered by three differing perspectives in EGM's reviews and the "second takes" offered by many other places) Now, can we quit with the "EGM/Gamepro/Play/etc. gave ___ a __ lolz?"

Edit: I really don't get you people who say "buy the game and decide for yourselves." Yes, the principle makes perfect sense, but do you guys have an infinite reserve of money and, more importantly, time?

rakka

traveler said:
No. You all refer to these various sites and mags as if they represented a collective whole. The truth is (and, yes, I realize this is stating the obvious) it's the opinions of many people that make up any one source. Sometimes we will agree, sometimes we won't. There's no one RIGHT site. (Hence the value offered by three differing perspectives in EGM's reviews and the "second takes" offered by many other places) Now, can we quit with the "EGM/Gamepro/Play/etc. gave ___ a __ lolz?"

Metacritic/gamerankings?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wollan said:
Gamespot needs some love.

BELIEVE. PLEASE BELIEVE.

QlzntGNwF.jpg

I really don't want Lair to fail :( The above picture (if it would be true) would increase sales by a huge amount.

traveler said:

My suggestion wasn't entirely serious, you know.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I knew that Lair was going to be crap; given that I went to Sony's booth at comic-con at least expecting a demo of a game coming out next month; they had that Uncharted game demoed (boring, graphics seemed fuzzy and lo res, even on a 1080p LCD), Heavenly Sword at a higher framerate (apparently playing off a disc)

They even had some games i'd never heard of, but no Lair, even though it was prominently displayed as art all over the booth.

The DMC4 and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles booths were overloaded though, I couldn't get in. :(

Tideas

Banned
Tobor said:
Now it's a million? You just cut your prediction in half! :lol

OOps, I meant, at least a million. Did I say it'll be multiplatinum before? I thought i've been saying it'll sell at least a million

traveler

Not Wario
rakka said:
Metacritic/gamerankings?

Is a great place to start for looking into a game to decide whether you should buy or rent for yourself. It is not, however, a replacement for thought-out evaluation and should be only used as an index to arrive at said critiques.

Edit: The beginning made that clear, AA. My post was more directed at those that continually cite one review from any given source they disagree with as evidence of the source's incompetence.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
beelzebozo gaming monthly is the definitive review source
unbiased, unparalleled coverage

also free donuts for subscribers

rpgfan16k

AltogetherAndrews said:
Hippie. Besides, it will be a long time before we can buy these games for ourselves, and many arguments will happen before then. No, I say we pick one standard and swear by it.

...inevitably leading to hundreds of permabans?

That being said, given such a circumstance, I would also choose Eurogamer.

Tobor

Tideas said:
OOps, I meant, at least a million. Did I say it'll be multiplatinum before? I thought i've been saying it'll sell at least a million

You said millions. That's why we all laughed at you...I mean with you.

jj984jj

AltogetherAndrews said:
One standard is never good when it comes to reviews, and that's even if you can get everyone to agree on it.

Tideas

Banned
Tobor said:
You said millions. That's why we all laughed at you...I mean with you.

Oops, haha. I don't think it'll be multiplatinum. That's hilarity. But I still think and believe it'll sell AT Least a million. :D

Misunderstand, resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom