• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rakka

ScissorHands said:
What??? God of War II is my GOTY so far :lol !!!

it got a 9, not 7.

Norml said:
I bet if Lair was on Wii with the same controls it would have scored way better.

Why?

multiplatform wii titles usually score much lower.

and this is ****ing egm/1up we're talking about here.

Sapapayo

traveler said:
This type of reasoning is not uncommon here. "EGM's reviews for JRPGs are always inaccurate- Persona 3 got GOTM?!?!?! It's going to be teh awesome!"

Selective perception FTW

Exactly, if egm gives a 10 to uncharted or HS, it will be the best mag ever on gaf :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Norml said:
I bet if Lair was on Wii with the same controls it would have scored way better.

Yeah because EGM/1UP are total Nintendo whores.

GhaleonEB

beelzebozo said:
i guess i make exceptions. toy commander was one of my favorite dreamcast games and got blasted by gamespot. no regrets.
<3 Toy Commander.

I own and love plenty of games that got reamed by various outlets. These scores are no where near low enough to have me believe that it won't have fans who either can overlook or disagree with the complaints and love the game. And of course, we don't know where EGM will fall in the spectrum of reviews. If Lair averages out to be a 7 or so, that's sound.

Bebpo said:
Not to dispute your point, but do you like any games? You take shots at like everything :p

I take shots at games i even enjoy if they have flaws, its just more fun like that.

Game that are overhyped just are way too easy take shots at tho.

I take shots at almost everygame except EDF. (omg bebpo was right for once)

Flo

Triple-a is something you define for yourself.. if EGM gives Etrian Odyssey a 7, doesn't mean it can't be a fantastic experience for yourself..

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
GhaleonEB said:
<3 Toy Commander.

toy commander is my nights, i.e., game that will never get a sequel that you foolishly dream about anyway

. . . except toy commander will really never get a sequel

Tobor

beelzebozo said:
toy commander is my nights, i.e., game that will never get a sequel that you foolishly dream about anyway

Mine is Star Control 2. Toy Commander was a great game.

GhaleonEB

Speevy said:
I thought of that afterwards. We'll call that a rail shooter. PDO is the best aerial rail shooter ever.

Lair's a genre hybrid that's focused on dragons.

Frankly it's the best dragon game I've ever seen.
I've been following Lair because of my love for the Panzer Dragoon series; got a soft spot for dragon games from those. Love Lair's look.

traveler

Not Wario
beelzebozo said:

Can you give some details on the Persona 3 review? I'm particularly concerned about the battle system. I found that typical JRPGs have grown too stale for me to enjoy- DQ8 was WAY too sluggish and lacking in strategy for me- and FFXII is probably the closest I have come to actually enjoying one in the past couple years. As such, any decision on buying P3 will ultimately hinge on how well it can pull off combat.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
i knew it;

the fact that Lair basically dropped off the map meant something; and that would be the fact that they were basically terrified to show anyone the gameplay

Speevy

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I've been following Lair because of my love for the Panzer Dragoon series; got a soft spot for dragon games from those. Love Lair's look.

As someone who loved PDO, Lair has always looked like a different breed. Especially since the dragons claw and bite each other.

Not surprised at Lair, every movie I saw of it I thought the gameplay looked horribly boring. It's looks pretty but I figured this is what would happen come review time.

I was never really hyped for Blue Dragon and after playing the demo I stopped caring. I'm sure it will do decent in the US though, 360 folks are starved for a decent RPG.

Holy Rainbow Satan @ the Persona 3 score. I thought it would get 8's at the most but this gives me hope. Maybe I'll pre-order a copy tomorrow.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Speevy said:
I mean accessibility.

you can reach right in there after the bullet goes through

Can you give some details on the Persona 3 review?

on the battle system, they say they're "speedy," and that the magic system is "deeply customizable." this game also has a lot of stuff in a school, though--you spend your days trying to score some tail and making new friends, answering class questions, etc. but they say it's a very good thing. also they say the soundtrack is excellent.

"all-around awesome"

MCD

Speevy said:
I mean accessibility.

Yeah i know, was joking.

to be honest, i don't know, only game i played from Atlus was Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, it wasn't hard to understand but the battles were hard.

jrricky

Banned
:lol :lol :lol
Wait, didnt EGM praise Lair? I was sure it was gonna get 9's all over the board. Man, previews and impressions me squat nowadays.

Well, down goes one of PS3's big games. Who's the next victim?
If Heavenly Sword gets below a 9 I am going to :lol

:lol
Oh, and Im picking up Mario Strikers come Monday.:D

Slavik81 said:
beelzebozo said:
lair: 6.0, 5.5, 5.0
Unsurprising.

I didn't think you'd be surprised.

Slavik81 said:
beelzebozo said:
mario strikers charged: 7.5, 7.5, 7.5
As expected. Although, I wouldn't have thought it would have gotten three identical scores.

I expected you to expect that at least one score would be 2 points higher than the rest, so you're holding the line so far.

Slavik81 said:
beelzebozo said:
all pro football: 6.5, 6.5, 7.0
Saddening, but we knew this for the past couple weeks or so.

I thought you were too tough to be saddened. This is a little unnerving, and then

Slavik81 said:
beelzebozo said:
blue dragon: 6.5, 7.5, 6.5
I certainly didn't expect that.

I really expected you to predict this. It's sad when you fall so far short of my expectations for your expectations.

Slavik81 said:
beelzebozo said:
persona 3: 8.5, 9.5, 9.5 game of the month
Nor this. Wow. I guess I'll have to pick this one up.

I can't take you seriously anymore.

traveler

Not Wario
beelzebozo said:
you can reach right in there after the bullet goes through

on the battle system, they say they're "speedy," and that the magic system is "deeply customizable." this game also has a lot of stuff in a school, though--you spend your days trying to score some tail and making new friends, answering class questions, etc. but they say it's a very good thing. also they say the soundtrack is excellent.

"all-around awesome"

Thanks. Sounds....interesting enough for me to pursue more info.

Tideas

Banned
To offset this Lair thrashing, I put up the Gamepro review. Credit goes to BloodStainedVendetta at gamersliberationfront for this

GAMEPRO - 3.75/5 (A)

Pros: Gorgeous graphics, amazing orchestral soundtrack, dragon based action is fun.

Cons: The decision to use a SixAxis only control scheme hurts more than it helps.

Some random quotes from the review...

ON THE CONTROL SCHEME ISSUES:

"To be fair, the motion sensing is pretty accurate but requiring you to constantly move your hands around while fiddling with buttons over the course of a fairly long game is asking too much. It's unfortunate that the game relies so heavily on a gimmicky feature that no one has been able to get a true grasp of (pun intended)."

ON THE GOOD QUALITIES:

"At it's best, the dragon-based combat of Lair is pretty damn awesome. Soaring around majestically in the sky; raining hot fiery dragon-breath death upon your foes' heads; grappling with other dragons and clawing their eyes out; leaping onto an enemy dragon-rider's back and hacking at him with your weapon; swooping down onto the ground and rampaging around like Godzilla--there's no shortage of thrills to be had."

SOME ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

"I should point out that we were playing an early review build and Factor 5 will probably make tweaks up to the moment the gold master goes off to the mastering lab, but the core gameply mechanics are already in place and there's no denying that it's flawed. I expect many fans will be disappointed thanks to all of the hype that's built up around the game, but the inevitable complaints about the control scheme will no doubt be warrented. Despite all this, Lair still manages to be a decent title that all PS3 owners should look into but you may want to reserve your true excitement for the day when the other hotly anticipated PS3 titles like Heavenly Sword arrive."

ON THE GROUND CONTROLS:

"The Sixaxis-only control scheme that plagues the game is noticably absent when you land your dragon on the ground as the analog sticks take over, making it easier to wreak havoc."

rakka

Tideas said:
To offset this Lair thrashing, I put up the Gamepro review. Credit goes to BloodStainedVendetta at gamersliberationfront for this

GAMEPRO - 3.75/5 (A)

7.5, not too bad.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
PERSONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beelzebozo

what did egm said about p3? and who reviewed the game?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm surprised everyone is so surprised. next-gen is still, for the most part, getting its legs. we're on the cusp of the first holiday season of really great games, but some are inevitably going to still be really launchy stuff that got delayed and gets eaten alive by the real contenders.

traveler

Not Wario
rakka said:
7.5, not too bad.

Given the differences between typical publication review scale and EGM's, I'd say that is a pretty similar score to EGM's own. The comments, however, are much more optimistic. Hmm...

Tideas

Banned
Y2Kev said:
7.5/10. That's a pretty solid score actually. But..lol gamepro?

GotY. Got a problem with that? :D :lol . I mean, we can go on days and days about review site, but eh, like I said, averaging gamepro, play, and EGM, it comes out to a good 7. :p

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Error said:
PERSONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beelzebozo

what did egm said about p3? and who reviewed the game?

they say it's f***ing awesome, dude.

shane, andrew fitch, and ray barnholt (8.5, 9.5, 9.5 respectively)

Yoboman

Besides a few selective GIFs, it was hard to ever be impressed by Lair. I was hoping the over all product would be more impressive

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
:lol @ bitter tears for Lair and faith in a 7.5 GamePro review. Just buy the game if you want it, end of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom