• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

Duffyside

Banned
Be interested to see what people (especially masochists like vNarayan) think of the Extra Hard mode. According to Bettenhausen only one of the developers was able to beat it. At first I didn't think the depth of combat would be there to support such a claim, but then I got to the first fight with the Gale and was kind of impressed. And I'm only like an hour in.

duffyside said:
Be interested to see what people (especially masochists like vNarayan) think of the Extra Hard mode. According to Bettenhausen only one of the developers was able to beat it. At first I didn't think the depth of combat would be there to support such a claim, but then I got to the first fight with the Gale and was kind of impressed. And I'm only like an hour in.

I plan on making my second playthrough on Extra mode. As soon as I heard him say that only one dev beat it on the last Weekend Confirmed I knew I was going to need to give it a shot. :p

Cheska

Wish there were a couple more impressions of the full game. C'mon GAf, pick this game up already! Couldn't make it out to Frys afterall, so I'll have to go tomorrow morning.

Cheska said:
Wish there were a couple more impressions of the full game. C'mon GAf, pick this game up already! Couldn't make it out to Frys afterall, so I'll have to go tomorrow morning.

It's a good game, but very different from other brawlers (DMC, Ninja Gaiden, etc.). It really helps if you appreciate the visual design and Wacky Japanese games.

So at this point it's accurate to say retail stores won't be getting any more copies in and this might actually be a one-run print? I just can't see it happening more than one more shipment.

Everyone's sold out already around here, each store only got 1-2 copies or less, and those were only for pre-orders, which are now sold.

Teknoman

Cheska said:

Its pretty fun. Its not a fast paced action game like Devil may cry or Bayonetta, but something with more of a rhythmic pace when it comes to combat. The graphics are pretty good while the environment and soundtrack styles are extremely diverse yet really high quality. The english voice acting is better than I thought it would be...they mesh really well with each character's personality. Its kind of hard to describe what it plays similar to...but its still a great game once you get the combat system (stealing weapons, countering, perfect guards to bounce back attacks, and timed button presses for different combos).

Its no slouch as far as difficulty goes either, and the enemy set ups feel much better than the demo. The game will fool you alot as far as game overs and alternate paths in the environments go.

Jintor

By the end of the game actually the weapon I wasn't really using was the Arch because I couldn't really see any benefits to doing so.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jintor said:
By the end of the game actually the weapon I wasn't really using was the Arch because I couldn't really see any benefits to doing so.

I'm not near the end yet(chapter 6) but my least used is the Veil. It's soooo damn slow, when I have it I'm basically trying to abuse the move where you fall and lighting hits all around you.

Jintor

Papercuts said:
I'm not near the end yet(chapter 6) but my least used is the Veil. It's soooo damn slow, when I have it I'm basically trying to abuse the move where you fall and lighting hits all around you.

The Veil is awesome because the guard is so strong. Guard guard guard, wait for opening, PUMMEL LIKE CRAZY. Moving with the dash is good too.

Reveirg

I just finished the
motorcycle part in the urban area

This game keeps surprising me more and more each hour I play. It throws a lot of different things at you, gameplay mechanics, different visual styles, etc. and does it with success.

It's really unfair to bash the game because the combat system is "repetitive". In reality, the battle has quite a lot of diversity, but in the end, is only a very small part of the overall game. 15-20% maybe? The visuals are the main attraction, but the platforming elements, 2D segments, the batshit crazy story, the stylish cutscenes, the whole mythology, the awesome music as well as a few more gameplay elements I'll keep secret are what makes the meat of the game.

Such a nice gem of a game! I'm also happy my PS3 is getting more play time with this and Catherine this summer...

When does the combat get difficult or where is a good place to start judging it?

I think I just finished Chapter 4 last night. At that point in time the combat was still pretty easy. I managed to get through all the combat encounters by chain stealing weapons and beat most of them without even getting hit once. I am playing on normal atm.

Reveirg

Lostconfused said:
When does the combat get difficult or where is a good place to start judging it?

I think I just finished Chapter 4 last night. At that point in time the combat was still pretty easy. I managed to get through all the combat encounters by chain stealing weapons and beat most of them without even getting hit once. I am playing on normal atm.

I'm only at Chapter 5 or 6 but it doesn't really get more challenging so far, except for one boss battle I guess.

Does anyone know how far into the game I am? Just to get a general idea of the game's length.

Also, what are the weird red things for? (the thing that looks like a "?") And is it ever possible to go back to old areas?

Papercuts said:
The Gale took me awhile, I didn't like it at first either. Try the guard breaker with it, it's incredibly powerful. Also has my favorite dash move, so I've been using it the most in combat.

That's my problem with it. I just do the guard breaker over and over because it doesn't seem to have anything more effective.

EDIT: I just got the Veil, and I'm not sure I like the combat in this game at all. Maybe it's the lack of a lock on, but it just doesn't feel right. The one-button system isn't well conveyed enough to give me a sense of what I'm ever really doing.

EDIT 2: There's just too much of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm finding myself to be constantly knocked out of combos I can't cancel out of because the enemy decides to attack. I'm fighting the monster you get the Veil from and he hardly blocks, but he will interrupt my strikes with seemingly no way to avoid it. I'm seriously baffled as to how anyone could think this is easy, and I'm generally pretty good at action games.

I'm really digging this game. The demo threw me off from preordering it, but after reading a few impressions I grabbed it late Tuesday evening. The story's odd but I feel like I'm following what's going on so far - only at
The Tower

The visuals in that area are amazing, it looks like someone painted the world with those multicolor markers. The music is surreal too, the African vibe fits that area so well.

mattp

Thank you for your order. We apologize but the item(s) you
ordered are currently out of stock and we are unable to provide
a definite ship date at this time. However, we continually
receive new merchandise in our warehouse and we hope to fulfill
your order within the next thirty days or sooner if possible.

desu said:
See this is what my gf and I wondered about when we finished the game a second time a while ago. My gf scanned 2chan what the japanese people think about it but there were only a few mentions of this. We had the same thought about this being a possibility for a
sequel
Plus, I don't think Enoch
captures every fallen angel. There are seven of them, right? I don't remember running into seven different angels. Once you reach Semyaza, Lucifel tells Enoch that he still has work to do, or something.

Reveirg said:
I just finished the
motorcycle part in the urban area
That entire area is awesome!

Jimmy Stav said:
ThEDIT: I just got the Veil, and I'm not sure I like the combat in this game at all. Maybe it's the lack of a lock on, but it just doesn't feel right. The one-button system isn't well conveyed enough to give me a sense of what I'm ever really doing.

EDIT 2: There's just too much of it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm finding myself to be constantly knocked out of combos I can't cancel out of because the enemy decides to attack. I'm fighting the monster you get the Veil from and he hardly blocks, but he will interrupt my strikes with seemingly no way to avoid it. I'm seriously baffled as to how anyone could think this is easy, and I'm generally pretty good at action games.
Because it asks you to play using the games specific mechanics. Some weapons are supposed to beat other weapons, so I think they might be doing extra damage to enemies with specific weapons and taking less damage from them.

I think it's something like: arche>veil>gale>arche

Make sure your weapon is purified and when the fight starts pick the enemy that is weak to your weapon or has the same weapon as you. Then beat the shit out of him until you stun him then steal his weapon. Repeat that pattern until you strip the weapons from all the enemies. A new enemy should spawn in so strip his weapon and repeat until everyone is dead.

Also I am pretty sure you can block attacks in the middle of your combos.

I am not that far into the game. But the combat hasn't been giving me any trouble so far.

Azih said:
Do they still take a very long time to die though even if you are using the appropriate weapon?
I don't think so? But then again I have no idea what very long might mean to you.

SamuraiX-

mattp said:
Thank you for your order. We apologize but the item(s) you
ordered are currently out of stock and we are unable to provide
a definite ship date at this time. However, we continually
receive new merchandise in our warehouse and we hope to fulfill
your order within the next thirty days or sooner if possible.

Yup.

I just got the same e-mail.

Ordering only from Amazon has spoiled me when it comes to dealing with other incompetent dealers.

Lostconfused said:
Because it asks you to play using the games specific mechanics. Some weapons are supposed to beat other weapons, so I think they might be doing extra damage to enemies with specific weapons and taking less damage from them.

I think it's something like: arche>veil>gale>arche

Make sure your weapon is purified and when the fight starts pick the enemy that is weak to your weapon or has the same weapon as you. Then beat the shit out of him until you stun him then steal his weapon. Repeat that pattern until you strip the weapons from all the enemies. A new enemy should spawn in so strip his weapon and repeat until everyone is dead.

Also I am pretty sure you can block attacks in the middle of your combos.

I am not that far into the game. But the combat hasn't been giving me any trouble so far.

I remember that bit in the tutorial, but I swear I never noticed it again in subsequent fights. I'm paying more attention now, and it seems to be happening. Thank you.

Plus, I don't think Enoch
captures every fallen angel. There are seven of them, right? I don't remember running into seven different angels. Once you reach Semyaza, Lucifel tells Enoch that he still has work to do, or something.

That's what I was thinking. Actually I didn't expect the game to end when it did because I thought "hey aren't there more fallen angels to capture?" :p

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on Chapter 5 and loving it. I have been interested in this game since it was announced and iy has not dissapointed.

see5harp

This game looks pretty cool but the narrative and execution of story telling is pretty bad. Not sure whether the localization is bad or whether it is just bad writing.

Okay...I'm enjoying it.

The combat...I'm still not clicking with it yet but I can see the potential that's there for it to be deeper than what I'm doing although I still haven't really figured out the aspects of blocking and counter-attacking after a block.

The visuals...wow.

It's like Wipeout HD on zone mode...but crazier.

I really like coming across Lucifel and hearing his conversations with "God" but the story is just...fucking madness.

I'm hoping it comes together but man...the nephilim and the way they look and just...yeah...the story?

Madness.

Duffyside

Banned
My initial love of this game is wearing away as I continue to play. The supposed length of this game is somewhat a fallacy, it seems to me, and works against the game. Enemies take way too much damage (especially with the Gale), you spend way too much time running straight doing nothing, breaking things doing nothing, and I feel like I've seen the same light-bluish-purplish-whitish jumping corridor three times now, and I just finished Chapter 2, I... think....

That's my main problem right now; WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!? I actually beat an angel at some point, or did I? I've lost like the other four times I've fought one, or have I!? I picked up a Ring of Truth, or whatever, that is supposed to indicate what weapons are good for what enemies (a good idea), but it works at random? Or you have to pick up one in every area, should it be lucky enough to drop, but I only remember picking one up once but have seen the icons like three times...

WHY THE HELL AM I PICKING UP ORANGE ORBS!? WHAT DO THEY DO!?

And the enemy designs are just atrocious. There is absolutely no common theme to them. It's just batshit crazy.

duffyside said:
My initial love of this game is wearing away as I continue to play. The supposed length of this game is somewhat a fallacy, it seems to me, and works against the game. Enemies take way too much damage (especially with the Gale), you spend way too much time running straight doing nothing, breaking things doing nothing, and I feel like I've seen the same light-bluish-purplish-whitish jumping corridor three times now, and I just finished Chapter 2, I... think....

That's my main problem right now; WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!? I actually beat an angel at some point, or did I? I've lost like the other four times I've fought one, or have I!? I picked up a Ring of Truth, or whatever, that is supposed to indicate what weapons are good for what enemies (a good idea), but it works at random? Or you have to pick up one in every area, should it be lucky enough to drop, but I only remember picking one up once but have seen the icons like three times...

WHY THE HELL AM I PICKING UP ORANGE ORBS!? WHAT DO THEY DO!?

And the enemy designs are just atrocious. There is absolutely no common theme to them. It's just batshit crazy.

Angels man...they're fuckin' complicated.

Now you know why god picked us over the angels.

They're strange assholes...even the good ones.

Duffyside

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
Angels man...they're fuckin' complicated.

Now you know why god picked us over the angels.

They're strange assholes...even the good ones.
WHAT ABOUT THE FUCKING ORANGE ORBS!? I'VE GOT LIKE 14,000 OF THEM NOW!

duffyside said:
WHAT ABOUT THE FUCKING ORANGE ORBS!? I'VE GOT LIKE 14,000 OF THEM NOW!

LoL...I didn't even know it kept track of them and you could get a quantitative number.

Apparently...later in the game...you use them...or something?

As for beating angels...or getting beaten by angels...and did that happen?

Same thing here. No fuckin' idea.

desu

duffyside said:
Enemies take way too much damage (especially with the Gale)

Since the Gale is my favourite weapon I cannot really understand why its taking people too long. Longer than you expect it from a normal game? I always loved pretty much dacing away my Enemies with the Gale, takes a while but not really long (imho).

duffyside said:
It's just batshit crazy.

Well its El Shaddai ;).

edit.

Orbs should be for overburst which you get later in the game. If I remember it right.

Haunted

Demo impressions... visually amazing, gameplay is extremely shallow.

Basically as I expected.

Can someone with the full version tell me if there are advanced moves and techniques that can be unlocked in the game? Are there more weapons in the game? I think the demo had 3 different ones (with those floating long-range thingies that remind me of Phantasy Star Online Mags being the coolest).

desu

Haunted said:
Demo impressions... visually amazing, gameplay is extremely shallow.

Basically as I expected.

Can someone with the full version tell me if there are advanced moves and techniques that can be unlocked in the game?
Not really, except you get overboost later, but thats about it.

Duffyside

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
LoL...I didn't even know it kept track of them and you could get a quantitative number.

Apparently...later in the game...you use them...or something?

As for beating angels...or getting beaten by angels...and did that happen?

Same thing here. No fuckin' idea.
It doesn't count, that I know of. I'm counting. 2 Chapters in, 14,000. Exactly.

Glad to know I'm collecting all this bullshit for 2 hours now without a fucking reason for it. That isn't excusable with a "oh, it's just a crazy Japanese game! No biggy." It's bad design.

duffyside said:
It doesn't count, that I know of. I'm counting. 2 Chapters in, 14,000. Exactly.

You, sir...are a fucking maniac.

Maybe you're an angel?

duffyside said:
Glad to know I'm collecting all this bullshit for 2 hours now without a fucking reason for it. That isn't excusable with a "oh, it's just a crazy Japanese game! No biggy." It's bad design.

For some reason...the fact that Bettenhausen works for UTV Ignition...I keep telling myself that this will all pay off some how...some way.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Very impressed with the game so far, after about two hours. Great sound, music... and the visuals... wow.

Combat is just fine in my opinion. Not as frantic or deep as Bayonetta or DMC, but still has it's nuances.

Definitely suggest playing with Japanese voices and English subtitles though. The Japanese voice acting is much better.

Duffyside

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
You, sir...are a fucking maniac.

Maybe you're an angel?
Close: I'm an exaggerator and a liar.

bigdaddygamebot said:
For some reason...the fact that Bettenhausen works for UTV Ignition...I keep telling myself that this will all pay off some how...some way.
How do you know this wasn't his plan all along? After all, if this game continues to be kinda meh, wouldn't that make a person named "Man-God" seem all that more godly?

Sai-kun said:
I can never seem do to any guard breaking moves with the Gale. Any tips? :(
Tap attack once and then wait a seccond or two and tap attack again? I think that's a guard braking move, it does crazy damage as well so should probably be using it anyways.

Duffyside

Banned
Sai-kun said:
I can never seem do to any guard breaking moves with the Gale. Any tips? :(
The guard break is when the shards go up and then come down on top of the enemy. Bet you've done it and haven't even noticed.

On that note: why is the Gale so awful? It's incredibly weak.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Lostconfused said:
Tap attack once and then wait a seccond or two and tap attack again? I think that's a guard braking move, it does crazy damage as well so should probably be using it anyways.

Ah, is that how I'm doing it. I thought it was tap, change direction on move stick, tap again. Just tap-wait-tap. Got it. Does the initial weapon have a "guard break" as well?

FlyinJ said:
Ah, is that how I'm doing it. I thought it was tap, change direction on move stick, tap again. Just tap-wait-tap. Got it. Does the initial weapon have a "guard break" as well?
All weapons do. Fairly sure all of them have the same inputs but what the input does depends on the weapon.

desu said:
Wonder if this was influenced by
FF7?

I could be crazy but
when the camera first panned over the whole area I got a FFvsXIII meets Tron vibe. Then the entire gameplay portion I was just like "woah it's like Tron...but not!"

Sai-kun

Banned
Lostconfused said:

duffyside said:
The guard break is when the shards go up and then come down on top of the enemy. Bet you've done it and haven't even noticed.

On that note: why is the Gale so awful? It's incredibly weak.

Oooh that one! I always do it accidentally! :p Thanks, guys.

And yeah, Gale seems to be pretty damn weak, but I love it so much :( It's so much fun to juggle people with.

Top Bottom