• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

ironcreed

Banned
When you see segments like this from various reviews, it is a safe bet you have quite a unique little gem on your hands. I felt this way just from the demo, I can only image the trip of high strangeness and beauty that awaits me in the full game.

Gamepro-

"A game like El Shaddai is something that comes along only a few times in each console generation. The beautiful visuals, fantastic environments, solid (though slightly flawed) gameplay, and rich mythology combine to make a game quite unlike anything you've ever played."

Game Informer-

"A visually arresting experience I wholeheartedly loved...A rare treat of a game and a celebration of video games as an art form."

Gametrailers-

"Many games aspire toward aesthetic sophistication, but only a precious few manage to emerge as a great game in the process. El Shaddai achieves this, and it leaves you smitten and awestruck. It's both simple to grasp and rich enough to keep you coming back for more. Those seeking something refreshingly different will be well rewarded by this rare and original experience."

Gamespot-

"El Shaddai is such a gorgeous game that it would have been worth playing even if the combat was merely average. But developer Ignition Entertainment gave reasons to play beyond its outstanding visual design. The combat system makes excellent use of its narrow moveset to create an enticing experience that demands focus and determination to prevail."

frequency

Is the demo representative of the game?

I did not like it at all. I found the combat/platforming to be boring, and I did not find the demo level visually appealing in any way. I keep hearing about how aesthetically awesome this game is supposed to be, but I didn't get that sense at all from the demo. Can anyone comment?

I want to want this game. Was it just a bad demo?

Jintor

Aesthetic style changes (quite drastically at times) from level to level. Everything else is fairly representative.

frequency said:
Is the demo representative of the game?

I did not like it at all. I found the combat/platforming to be boring, and I did not find the demo level visually appealing in any way. I keep hearing about how aesthetically awesome this game is supposed to be, but I didn't get that sense at all from the demo. Can anyone comment?

I want to want this game. Was it just a bad demo?

Could be the case of a bad demo but if you weren't feeling the combat or platforming then the game might just not be for you. I'm personally loving it and totally digging the various art styles I've seen so far. (About 2 hours in.) But I was one of the people who played the demo over and over again because I loved the combat in it. Combat doesn't change much from the demo and the platforming so far has been essentially what you saw in the demo.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wasn't sure on the demo but pretty much blindly bought it and have been really enjoying it so far. I will say that the demo I played wasn't in english, so I had no idea what I was doing compared to now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The intro is so cool. Like the PoP concept taken to the extreme...no no no, rewind please.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The game is surprisingly well localized for a Shitgnition game too. You can tell that, like, "This is the game we wanted to make. We can go out of business now happy."

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Jintor said:
For nerds.
If there's one thing I didn't like about that book, it's how everybody in the book treated "grok" like it was some incredibly earth shattering concept, and you still hear about it in reviews and such talking about the book, but you could basically replace every instance of it with "understand" and nothing would have been different at all.

Jintor

It's supposed to mean more that it's become, like, a part of who you are, like the knowledge of moving your own limbs. But yeah, in everyday usage it's more or less just a nerdy way of saying 'understand'.

chris121580

This game is absolutely incredible. I can't even really describe what I'm playing but I'm loving every minute of it. So glad I decided to pick this up. Such a great gaming experience so far

bender

What time is it?
I wasn't a fan of the combat in the demo but the Fry's deal is too good to pass up. I'll just blaze through it on easy and enjoy the visuals, music and story(maybe).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
chris121580 said:
This game is absolutely incredible. I can't even really describe what I'm playing but I'm loving every minute of it. So glad I decided to pick this up. Such a great gaming experience so far

I so agree, the surrealism is second to none. Amazing experience.

Teknoman

Snagged the 360 version.

The Fry's I went to had niether El Shaddai or No More Heroes PS3 on the shelves, so I had to explain what was up and get them to go to the back. Maybe i'm lucky since it could've been sold out.

FrostuTheNinja said:
I can only speak for the first hour or so, but the PS3 version of the game goes from running at a crispy 60 down to 30 in a lot of areas. Almost the entire opening of the game was constantly dancing in between the two, while sticking to 30 more often than not. It's only irritating because the game just looks so damn good running at 60fps. Oh well, the art and combat are still fun. And that full color manual... Yum!

Is that during gameplay or just during the cutscenes?

Lostconfused said:
Exit the menu, try it again. Worked for me.

Thanks for the tip.

Took about seven tries.

o_O

Never had THAT happen with a game before. Just checked two other games right now and no issue with the install option.

I really want to do it because things "hitch" a little when I'm watching things unfold. Hopefully an install fixes that.

Reveirg

Well, I'm 2 hours in, and boy am I glad I did not pass on this game.

In my opinion, this is the first game this gen to competition with FFXIII as far as overall artistic presentation goes. The environments are gorgeous and the whole thing is really well put together. The great soundtrack is a very nice surprise too.

I also like the simplicity of the game. Maybe it's because I'm mainly a JRPG gamer, but the fact that there are no lengthy cutscenes, menus, etc. makes for a light but very enjoyable experience so far.

I just wish I could have a better idea of what's going on in the story, everything is cryptic and hard to follow so far. It makes for a very engrossing universe though, and I look forward to learning more about it.

I remember hearing about Ignition's game development ceasing though, is that true? What will happen to this game's developpers?

Jintor

Reveirg said:
I just wish I could have a better idea of what's going on in the story, everything is cryptic and hard to follow so far. It makes for a very engrossing universe though, and I look forward to learning more about it.

Enoch descends from heaven to hunt fallen angels in a giant tower

game skips over like 300 years of his life during the prior-credits sequence. This is never explained or elaborated on really

Monocle

Will buy when the price is right. The demo's gameplay is really iffy but I want this game's graphics all over my figurative tits.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
What the hell is going on!!

What ive figured so far.
Xbox 360 PAL Demo is not in English

A - Jump
X - Attack
LB - Disarm(when blue glow appears)
LB - Sharpen weapon?????
RB - Block
Green Hearts - Replenish armor, which doubles as life
Red Orbs - ???????????????
A,X ,LB,RB - Press them quickly to ????????

Nonetheless, i keep getting killed by this dude in a black and green armored suit, i barely get two hits in before dieing.
The character wakes up shortly after, but his armor is broken to shit.

green_focus

Feels like an actiony SMT: Nocturne to me. Really enjoying the presentation & the fighting seems like fun. Not sure about the platforming yet.

Jintor

PAL Demo isn't in english? That doesn't sound good. You're fighting a fallen angel (Azazel from memory), it was never clear to me if it mattered whether you beat them or not in those brief encounters.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm on chapter 3 or 4 now, what the hell are the orbs I'm collecting? They haven't done anything yet.

Black_Stride said:
What the hell is going on!!

What ive figured so far.
Xbox 360 PAL Demo is not in English

A - Jump
X - Attack
LB - Disarm(when blue glow appears)
LB - Sharpen weapon?????
RB - Block
Green Hearts - Replenish armor, which doubles as life
Red Orbs - ???????????????
A,X ,LB,RB - Press them quickly to ????????
i got the X360 Pal version and its all in English...not sure what ur talking about.

LB is take weapon from them, RB is block - A is jump, X is attack - thats pretty much all you need to know really.

i didnt like the demo at all tho. great art and concept, terrible combat and execution.

i just went through bayonetta which in terms of combat was flawless....this is just completely average compared to Bayonetta.

Teknoman

Its not really that kind of action game though, so dont go in expecting that kind of depth. Its really about choosing the right weapon for the job/ constantly moving around and stealing/purifying weapons, button mashing / timed button presses, and platforming.

Teknoman said:
Its not really that kind of action game though, so dont go in expecting that kind of depth. Its really about choosing the right weapon for the job/ constantly moving around and stealing/purifying weapons, button mashing / timed button presses, and platforming.

if someone is staggered/blue/unconscious - and you already have that type of weapon are you supposed to hit LB and take it anyway? thats the only thing i didnt get...

bryehn

Papercuts said:
I'm on chapter 3 or 4 now, what the hell are the orbs I'm collecting? They haven't done anything yet.

Overboost, gets unlocked later.

Phat Michael said:
if someone is staggered/blue/unconscious - and you already have that type of weapon are you supposed to hit LB and take it anyway? thats the only thing i didnt get...

Well it still disarms them and simply replaces the one you have.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Phat Michael said:
i got the X360 Pal version and its all in English...not sure what ur talking about.

LB is take weapon from them, RB is block - A is jump, X is attack - thats pretty much all you need to know really.

i didnt like the demo at all tho. great art and concept, terrible combat and execution.

i just went through bayonetta which in terms of combat was flawless....this is just completely average compared to Bayonetta.

Then XBL dun goof'd me.
I just downloaded it off the UK XBL, and its all Japanese, cutscenes, hints everything.....how the hell did this happen?

To make matters worse, people tell me the demo off JPN network is also in english.

Anyway, i eventually finished the demo, and i think ill pick it up later when its much cheaper. The combat obviously isnt comparable to Bayonetta, i mean seriously cant believe you tried to compare the two.

But i really cant wait to get into it, maybe if im lucky ill find a second hand copy for cheap soon.

Shurs

SamuraiX- said:
Let the man pimp his site!

Why?

It's just his opinion of the game on a Wordpress blog. It's not like he is breaking a story or has some exclusive info or screenshots.

There are already far too many people "pimping" their sites on GAF. This is a discussion forum. Bring the discussion here, don't use it as a promotional tool. This isn't N4G.

I started playing last night. This game is completely mental on the visual front. I thought the demo looked nuts, but GOD DAMN, the game goes all out from the moment you start the game.

Combat, so far, is fun and simple. There's some good variation in your moveset if you use delayed button presses. It keeps things from getting dull. We'll see how it lasts for the entire game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Enjoying it as well, but man, the framerate pisses me off. It's basically either 30 fps or 60 fps. At times I'm thinking they should have locked it at 30 fps, but then you hit an entire section that pretty much holds 60 and it feels wonderful.

Any word on the 360 version? Does it suffer from this same issue? Does it, perhaps, run smoother?

dark10x said:
Any word on the 360 version? Does it suffer from this same issue? Does it, perhaps, run smoother?
I was wondering how the PS3 version is, because the framerate fluctuates on the 360 version as well. It just seems to be for more detailed areas that are important to the story. Gameplay areas with combat run at 60 frames/second.

Can anyone who has played and understood the Japanese version rate the English translation?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I was wondering how the PS3 version is, because the framerate fluctuates on the 360 version as well. It just seems to be for more detailed areas that are important to the story. Gameplay areas with combat run at 60 frames/second.

Can anyone who has played and understood the Japanese version rate the English translation?
Ah, well, seems similar then. :\

They probably should have locked it as inconsistency is quite a bit more irritating.

chris121580

I can't believe more people aren't discussing this game. People have been begging for a breath of fresh air and this is it. I really hope this sells well. The imagination behind this game is almost too hard to comprehend.

Jintor

If you're talking in terms of art design, I agree. If you're talking in terms of story, it's all just Apocrypha, man, but... awesome.

The pre-battle sequence against Aqua-angel was fucking hilarious

chris121580 said:
People have been begging for a breath of fresh air and this is it.

Nope sorry Catherine already stole my soul.

Sure this game is insane and creative. But I don't think it crazy enough to wow me just yet.

chris121580

Lostconfused said:
Nope sorry Catherine already stole my soul.

Sure this game is insane and creative. But I don't think it crazy enough to wow me just yet.
I still need to check that game out. The difficulty puts me off a little bit. For now, this is definitely scratching the itch of playing a creative game.

Top Bottom