• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

desu

Sai-kun said:
And yeah, Gale seems to be pretty damn weak, but I love it so much :( It's so much fun to juggle people with.

Same same, I just loved to throw my enemy all over the place, pull them close, throw them away and let the splitters of the Gale rain down on them like meteors. Couldnt stop doing that.

This game's combat is so inconsistent. I've been fighting enemies equipped with the Gale (I'm using the Arc), and at no point did they let me take their weapon. I swear I'm hardly ever given the opportunity.

I'm sorry, this game has lived up to every expectation I've had for it, art style, narrative, homoeroticisim AND gameplay.

What has surprised me the most though? The music. GOD (ha) the music is incredible.

Yuterald

Finished the game last night on Normal. I really enjoyed it. The story isn't THAT confusing. All of the reviewers complaining about the story clearly did not read the Freeman's Notes. There is a Library of information in your menu for a reason. Jesus.

The game is a lot shorter than I thought. It took me about 6 hours I think to clear it. I did die a few times, some bosses towards the end I thought were pretty tough. The Score Attack Mode you unlock when you beat the game is awesome! I just got my first G Rank and it makes the combat way more interesting when you are striving for bigger scores. The scoring system is a real nice addition for those looking to get more out of the game. It feels like the game truly starts on your second playthrough. There is a nice unlock-list when you clear the game, movie/artwork viewer, costumes, it's very old school/PS2 era stuff. I love it.

I don't get why people are freaking about how vague certain things are. The orange orbs upgrade your Boost Meter. Just keep playing the game until tutorials reveal stuff. No one likes to discover things in games anymore it seems. If everything isn't clearly written out people nowadays seem to get their panties in a bunch. It's sad.

Duffyside

Banned
SCHUEY F1 said:
The nice full colour manual explains pretty much everything (like the orange orbs).
Well welcome to 2011 where the only reason I even know how to read is so I can be an asshole on the internet.

Yuterald said:
Finished the game last night on Normal. I really enjoyed it. The story isn't THAT confusing. All of the reviewers complaining about the story clearly did not read the Freeman's Notes. There is a Library of information in your menu for a reason. Jesus.

The game is a lot shorter than I thought. It took me about 6 hours I think to clear it. I did die a few times, some bosses towards the end I thought were pretty tough. The Score Attack Mode you unlock when you beat the game is awesome! I just got my first G Rank and it makes the combat way more interesting when you are striving for bigger scores. The scoring system is a real nice addition for those looking to get more out of the game. It feels like the game truly starts on your second playthrough. There is a nice unlock-list when you clear the game, movie/artwork viewer, costumes, it's very old school/PS2 era stuff. I love it.

I don't get why people are freaking about how vague certain things are. The orange orbs upgrade your Boost Meter. Just keep playing the game until tutorials reveal stuff. No one likes to discover things in games anymore it seems. If everything isn't clearly written out people nowadays seem to get their panties in a bunch. It's sad.

This is horse shit, because a lot of the stuff in the game IS written out in a pretty clumsy way with jarring title cards, but they just don't explain things very well. I don't think games need to always bang you over the head with tutorials, but they should be able to convey the game mechanics in ways that don't necessitate reading the manual.

It is indeed nice to have a color manual for a change, but the fact that I can't remember the last time I actually needed to look at one does say something. I'd rather the game itself was sufficient for learning how to play it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Haunted said:
Demo impressions... visually amazing, gameplay is extremely shallow.

Basically as I expected.

Can someone with the full version tell me if there are advanced moves and techniques that can be unlocked in the game? Are there more weapons in the game? I think the demo had 3 different ones (with those floating long-range thingies that remind me of Phantasy Star Online Mags being the coolest).

There doesn't seem to be beside overburst, though unless the demo is different you only got 2 weapons unless you count unarmed fighting. It's not very deep, but the way combat flows can feel pretty satisfying. I thought it as incredibly shallow in the demo but have enjoyed it a lot in the full game.

Also, the orb thing is very stupid. The manual says you unlock the ability later in the game, but the orbs are all over the place and it isn't needed until the end of chapter 3 IIRC. The game was good at stopping the game and telling you what you just picked up, but for whatever reason the orbs didn't get an explanation there.

Reading this thread is just pure torture. What's with all the outlets having the game on backorder? Is it selling better than expected or something?

Teknoman

Acquiescence said:
Reading this thread is just pure torture. What's with all the outlets having the game on backorder? Is it selling better than expected or something?

Hopefully its pulling a Demon's Souls.

Jimmy Stav said:
It is indeed nice to have a color manual for a change, but the fact that I can't remember the last time I actually needed to look at one does say something.
And what it says is that every game has been reduced to such a state that they all control and play the exact same way. Thus no need to learn to play generic shooter 5 when you already played 1-4 and no need to include manuals because really there is absolutely nothing new in the game that the player would need to know.
Jimmy Stav said:
This is horse shit, because a lot of the stuff in the game IS written out in a pretty clumsy way with jarring title cards, but they just don't explain things very well. I don't think games need to always bang you over the head with tutorials, but they should be able to convey the game mechanics in ways that don't necessitate reading the manual.
You need to purify weapons. Don't just keep hitting the enemy when it starts to get dark. I think you have to do a set ammount of damage in a period of time to stun the enemy and be able to steal their weapon. I had enemies that I beat on for a minute or two and they eventually died but never had a chance to steal their weapon because I kept attacking them even though my weapon was already dark and red.

Lostconfused said:
And what it says is that every game has been reduced to such a state that they all control and play the exact same way. Thus no need to learn to play generic shooter 5 when you already played 1-4 and no need to include manuals because really there is absolutely nothing new in the game that the player would need to know.

You need to purify weapons. Don't just keep hitting the enemy when it starts to get dark. I think you have to do a set ammount of damage in a period of time to stun the enemy and be able to steal their weapon. I had enemies that I beat on for a minute or two and they eventually died but never had a chance to steal their weapon because I kept attacking them even though my weapon was already dark and red.

While I do partially agree with your first point, I don't think that necessarily applies to me because I don't play shooters very often. I'm having trouble thinking of recent examples (that don't involve shooting--the last I played was Shadows of the Damned) because I haven't played games in any serious capacity for over six months, but I honestly can't think of a time where I have ever needed to consult a manual.

And thank you for clarifying about the combat, but I don't think anything can save it for me at this point. I don't like it.

Yuterald

The Score Attack Mode is really bringing out the game for me. All the Watcher test fights can be 'beaten' and I believe they apply to the Special category on your results screen. So cool. I can't imagine how tough they are going to be on Extra difficulty! =)

Extremely interested in this game, think it looks great. Has GAF come to a version consensus? The Lens of Truth article made me think 360, but MANGOD claims PS3 was the lead platform:

MANGOD said:
“Its always 60 FPS on PS3,” Bettenhausen explained, “and the controls just feel better. I always tell people that ‘by far, the lead SKU is PS3.’ It is a Japanese game, and in Japan, PlayStation is just so much more relevant than Xbox. It’s sold more than 10 times as many copies on PS3.”

I know from the demo (and posts in this thread) that Captain Hyperbole is wrong about the framerate, but I still want to trust in his MANGODLINESS.

So, GAF? What say you?

FireCloud

Based on this thread and the discission of the game on Weekend Confirmed and Interactive Distractions, I decided to give the game a try. Glad I did. Love the art style!

For those of you having trouble finding the game, I went to Gamestop's website and did an in-store pickup search. The store I usually go to had it in stock. The Gamestop website will allow you to put a game on hold until you can go pick it up. That's what I did and that worked well for me. I got the only copy that particular store received.

It's a shame that they didn't ship more copies. I wonder if the poor sales for Shadows of the Damned caused them to be more catious with their initial shipments. Hopefully there will me more to come so that others can enjoy it as well.

I went ahead and started this game even though my copies of Catherine and Shadows of the Damned are still shrink wrapped. I was interested in what they would do with the story. I haven't quite made up my mind yet on how I feel about the English VO. As some have suggested here, I think I'll give the Japanese track a try and see if that is any better.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sir Mangod has always been a PS3 fanboy, haha. I can't say comparatively but the 360 version runs fine.

Teknoman

The controls feel fine on 360 and its mostly 60 fps on the system aside from certain points. Granted i'm not that far, but its nothing like...say Bayonetta PS3 vs 360.

The english VA grows on you after awhile. At first I thought JP Lucifel was much better because of the deepness of his voice, but the english version seems to fit his personality better now that i've heard a few cell phone calls/ enemy explanations.

Sai-kun

Banned
Dying in this game is so frustrating. Also, minor spoilers for like a chapter or two into the game.

Am I missing out on anything by getting my ass continually kicked by the Fallen? I've fought Ezekiel like 3 times and she's beaten me every time. I beat Azakel just now in Chapter 6, but his floor was like 3 floors ago. I guess I'm a little confused about it :lol

From comparing the demo's the 360 version won out for me. It has a noticably cleaner image, despite the slightly lower frame rate. And I haven't actually noticed the lower frame rate during my play through of the 360 version at all so far. Granted I'm only on Chapter 2 but I've noticed no dips. Also apparently installing the game gets rid of some of the framerate problems so that could also be why I haven't had trouble.

Controlwise I also found the PS3 demo to be a bit easier to control, but in the final 360 version I haven't had any troubles at all. I'm sure the PS3 version is just fine but from what I can tell the 360 is the better version.

Teknoman

I think you arent supposed to beat them until a certain point? The game is weird like that...especially since game over isnt always game over (look at the beginning of the game). I guess they're really driving home the immortality, God's right hand man, and appointed a divine task points of the game.

Sai-kun

Banned
Teknoman said:
I think you arent supposed to beat them until a certain point? The game is weird like that...especially since game over isnt always game over (look at the beginning of the game). I guess they're really driving home the immortality, God's right hand man, and appointed a divine task points of the game.

Yeah, I figured. I just wasn't sure if I was gonna miss out on something because I've been getting beat by that bitch. I did royally wreck Azakel and one other guy though. I destroyed them.

Orcastar

Read a few previews about this and thought it looked quite interesting. Just saw the GameTrailers review and the game looks gorgeous. Definitely gonna buy at some point, but seeing as Deus Ex is coming next week and I still need to get LA Noire too... Choices, choices...

Zeal

Banned
So glad this game is pulling a Demon Soul's and selling out. Good word of mouth will always triumph over reviews.

Buy this game so we can have more like it.

Duffyside

Banned
Zeal said:
So glad this game is pulling a Demon Soul's and selling out. Good word of mouth will always triumph over reviews.

Buy this game so we can have more like it.
jumptoconclusionsmat.jpg

Dudes, get your expectations in check. This game isn't going to be the next Demon's Souls.

I got this from gamefly today, played for probably an hour and a half. I'm up to chapter 3 so far, and while I like the game, I think it's kinda boring. You can pretty much exhaust the depth of all three weapons in about 5 minutes, and there's hardly any enemy variety so far (and all of the enemies have about 5x as much health as they should). Visually, the levels are fantastic, but they're actually pretty repetitive and extremely simplistic to play through.

But I still like it because the art design is pretty amazing, and the music seems good too. Hopefully it picks up a little later. If not, oh well, I wasn't expecting much out of this anyway.

I feel like the combat would be better if you could swap between the three weapons on the fly without having to steal them. Having your combos/movement options constantly change would make it more interesting, I think.

So... Extra mode isn't very different aside from the fact that ONE hit will strip you of your armor completely. Basically, if you get hit twice, you're toast. I wish they would have gone the Bayonetta route by switching enemy variation up, but there aren't that many types of enemies in this game to begin with. Oh well! Basically, if you want to survive in Extra mode, you need you master the parrying technique as well as the evasion moves of every weapon.

Jimmy Stav said:
I feel like the combat would be better if you could swap between the three weapons on the fly without having to steal them. Having your combos/movement options constantly change would make it more interesting, I think.
I agree. Having all three weapons available at the same time would be great. If we get a sequel, I really hope they go for a less shallow route when it comes to combat.

Quick questions:

Are there any secrets to unlock? Like if I find all the guys who give me notes or something? How about those bone things in the secret areas?

Second, do you get any bonus for beating the watchers that come and attack you? The ones you can either beat up a little or get beat up and then they disappear?

441px-Jason_Isaacs_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Surprised know one has mentioned that Lucifel is voiced by Jason Isaacs himself and pulling an american accent to boot.

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
So what do the orange orbs do, then?
Why is this so difficult for you guys to figure out? They add points your overboost gauge. If you collect enough, the gauge will advance a level, which will make your overboost ability more effective.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why is this so difficult for you guys to figure out? They add points your overboost gauge. If you collect enough, the gauge will advance a level, which will make your overboost ability more effective.
cuz you dont get overboost for a while into the game so peeps prolly like Wut this

Duffyside

Banned
Because you spend more than 3 hours collecting them without any reason being told as to why.

Jintor

Plus, I don't think Enoch
captures every fallen angel. There are seven of them, right? I don't remember running into seven different angels. Once you reach Semyaza, Lucifel tells Enoch that he still has work to do, or something.

The Lord who was on the Angelic Council died in the fall; it's his tomb you come across after you beat seven kinds of shit out of Azazel. One angel got eaten by the giant... Neruhibimthingy... and I think there's one more I can't remember what happened to them. The other ones you beat the crap out of.

I'll tell you straight up I read all the Freeman's notes and the story still was fairly nonsensical

Teknoman said:
Time out, you CAN beat the first encounters with the watchers?

You can beat all of them but they don't do jackshit except get you slightly different dialogue.

So what do the orange orbs do, then?

It's never mentioned in-game, and I didn't get a manual with my copy.

Oh man you lose all momentum when you jump of a moving object. Is that some of the most messed up shit ever or do I just hate playing platformers?

Reveirg

How many chapters are there?

I just began Chapter 10 and wondering if I can finish the game soon and be ready for Xenoblade... not that I'm in a hurry to end my playthrough though, the game is fantastic.

The... (chapter 9? spoilers)
dancing boss!!!!! In any other games, this would've looked ridiculous. But the boss dancing while you fight behind felt like you were doing a choregraphy... very well done. This game keeps surprising me at every corner.

Top Bottom