• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

V4skunk

Banned
These things are cool and all, but it bugs me that 99% of us would never see these areas if it weren't for the whole Internet working together to find the secrets..
That's a problem on your end.
I did a blind run, 190 hours to complete and I found every secret area on my own and finished Ranni's quest with no help.

That's a problem on your end.
I did a blind run, 190 hours to complete and I found every secret area on my own and finished Ranni's quest with no help.
Well, yeah? I presented my opinion and my belief 🙂 - not saying they should change their formula or anything. It is what it is.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm the only one in the world who thinks the game is kind of vague 🤭

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Rennala on my second run was interesting. I run a INT build focusing around "sword sorcery" and magic straight swords.

On my first run, I broke her "egg" in phase 1 and then directly went to phase 2 because I did so much damage (STR/faith build and a lot of exploration, beat her around 50/60h).

On this run, I beat her at 25h with limited exploration and I had to break her egg something like 4/5 times till I bring her phase 1 down. I don't think I am underleveled but my build doesn't focus on big damage and she might be (logically) resistant to magic damage. It made it really interesting.

I still don't know what to think of her phase 2. It's a bit like Elden beast, really cool looking but a bit annoying. Constantly running away and spamming spells/invocations.

Last edited:

Winter John

So I started a faith build and wasn't happy with the damage at the start and the spells were dog shit. A heal and a sneak, wtf is that? Anyway, I did a search to find a decent sword and the first thing came up was this night of flame thing. I saw the stats and thought fuck, but decided to have a run at it. After many hours of grinding and running about I got the stats, got the sword. I levelled it up then went back to Magrit cos I figured he'd be a good test. What a piece of shit. It hardly did anything. I could've gone through him quicker with a +5 Uchi. I was confused and disappointed to say the least. I went back on Google figuring I was doing it wrong. Discovered it had been nerfed. Threw the controller out the window.

Soodanim

So I started a faith build and wasn't happy with the damage at the start and the spells were dog shit. A heal and a sneak, wtf is that? Anyway, I did a search to find a decent sword and the first thing came up was this night of flame thing. I saw the stats and thought fuck, but decided to have a run at it. After many hours of grinding and running about I got the stats, got the sword. I levelled it up then went back to Magrit cos I figured he'd be a good test. What a piece of shit. It hardly did anything. I could've gone through him quicker with a +5 Uchi. I was confused and disappointed to say the least. I went back on Google figuring I was doing it wrong. Discovered it had been nerfed. Threw the controller out the window.
Scale your main weapons first, then bring in Faith when you start getting the good incants. Dragon stuff is fun, both in terms of breath spells and lightning.

Cleanse Me is a staple, scarlet rot is hardly an issue when you get that

Rodolink

never saw the point of those grace lights guiding to the next boss, they should disappear once the boss is killed, but they remain making them useless for orientation.
just beat the game last week at lvl 140 and 101h found the ending disappointing but overall amazing game i would replay if life wasn't Limited.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Looking for the best Elden Ring mods to spice up your time in The Lands Between? Don't worry! Since its release, Elden Ring has received plenty of funny, bizarre, and cool PC mods. The Elden Ring Master Chief mod, Elden Ring Cloud mod from Final Fantasy, Elden Ring Guts mod from Berserk, and more, here are some of the best Elden Ring mods we've found so far.

Justin9mm

Not sure if someone can help me, I haven't got that far into the game, I'm samurai build and I'm ok with it but I need some more ranged attacks.. I have an astrologers staff but no idea how to get spells to use it. I have cookbooks etc, I know you need to learn spells but don't know how to do it? It's like I'm missing something. My arrows do fuck all damage. I dunno, I like the world and enemies but the rpg element and menu system of it feels over complicated to me or maybe its just not explained well.. I try to look up tips and guides but end up more confused.

DelireMan7

Not sure if someone can help me, I haven't got that far into the game, I'm samurai build and I'm ok with it but I need some more ranged attacks.. I have an astrologers staff but no idea how to get spells to use it. I have cookbooks etc, I know you need to learn spells but don't know how to do it? It's like I'm missing something. My arrows do fuck all damage. I dunno, I like the world and enemies but the rpg element and menu system of it feels over complicated to me or maybe its just not explained well.. I try to look up tips and guides but end up more confused.
To use spells, you have to equip them in your Spell slots. There will be a menu at the Sites of grace. If you started as a samurai, you don't have spell immediately. You should fine them or buy them at trainers.
You can find one at the Waypoint ruins here :
wsda4uk.jpg

You'll need to meet the stats requirement for spells to be able to use it. For Sorcery it's usually Intelligence.

Then there is incancations, for which you need a seal to cast and usually need Faith but there is different schools which have different Stats requirements.

So basically :
  • Equip the spell you want in your spell slots at a site of grace.
  • Use a staff to cast sorcery or a seal to cast incantation.
Also if you find your damage too low, level up the stats which scale with your weapons. As a samurai you have a katana and a longbow at first which scale with Dexterity.
In addition, weapons upgrade is very important for upping your damage.

ParaSeoul

The thread I wrote this for got locked so I thought I'd put it here.

I don't fully understand the love for Elden Ring and how people say its better than a lot of open world games when it suffers from a lot of the sames issues,mostly empty world and being way too long. I enjoyed my time with it but enjoyed it a lot less as it went on. Game is also the least challenging of the Souls games I've played,area and boss wise,they're all pretty easy. With the the exception of Malenia but then again when the only hard boss in your game is the one that has been proven to be actually broken and not follow the rules of the game then you fucked up.

Even fully upgraded bow with stats to match aren't all that amazing for killing stuff in this game. The main thing a bow is good for is calling over the enemy to you one at a time so you can kill 'em easily without getting mobbed. They are still worth upgrading just in case you want to cheese something but they are kinda meh.

DelireMan7

The thread I wrote this for got locked so I thought I'd put it here.

I don't fully understand the love for Elden Ring and how people say its better than a lot of open world games when it suffers from a lot of the sames issues,mostly empty world and being way too long. I enjoyed my time with it but enjoyed it a lot less as it went on. Game is also the least challenging of the Souls games I've played,area and boss wise,they're all pretty easy. With the the exception of Malenia but then again when the only hard boss in your game is the one that has been proven to be actually broken and not follow the rules of the game then you fucked up.
I am a Souls fanatic so I am biased but here my thoughts.

I don't know if it's a better open world than other one but it's a different one. Very few indications giving you a true sense of exploration, like BoTW did (at least for me).
I haven't play a lot of open world but BoTW and Elden Ring are my favorite for their exploration. The other I have play is Witcher 3 (which I found impressive but too long due to the amount of lenghty side quest) and Horizon Zero Dawn (which I love but if you go off the marked path to explore, you'll find nothing).
In Elden Ring, you have total freedom and wherever you'll find something (a dungeon to explore, some loot, a NPCs, ruins...).

It's a very lengthy game if you do everything and even me I was a bit fatigued at the end (190h on my first blind run). But again, it's up to you if you want to do everything. You could not explore everything and do the rest on others runs. Souls game and especially Elden Ring are made make you miss some stuff and to be replayed.

My love from the Soulsborne doesn't come from the difficulty and actually impact very little my appreciation for these games. So I can really comment on this one. I found the difficulty similar to others when it comes to major bosses. But given the freedom and option the game is offering, the experience of each is very different. Some will say "Malenia is super easy, I first try her with my Mimic tear +10 and my spamming of *insert OP Weapons/spell/ash of war*" and some others will have a very hard time because using some suboptimal builds (like me xD).

I don't get what you mean by saying Malenia is "breaking the rules of the game"

ParaSeoul

I am a Souls fanatic so I am biased but here my thoughts.

I don't know if it's a better open world than other one but it's a different one. Very few indications giving you a true sense of exploration, like BoTW did (at least for me).
I haven't play a lot of open world but BoTW and Elden Ring are my favorite for their exploration. The other I have play is Witcher 3 (which I found impressive but too long due to the amount of lenghty side quest) and Horizon Zero Dawn (which I love but if you go off the marked path to explore, you'll find nothing).
In Elden Ring, you have total freedom and wherever you'll find something (a dungeon to explore, some loot, a NPCs, ruins...).

It's a very lengthy game if you do everything and even me I was a bit fatigued at the end (190h on my first blind run). But again, it's up to you if you want to do everything. You could not explore everything and do the rest on others runs. Souls game and especially Elden Ring are made make you miss some stuff and to be replayed.

My love from the Soulsborne doesn't come from the difficulty and actually impact very little my appreciation for these games. So I can really comment on this one. I found the difficulty similar to others when it comes to major bosses. But given the freedom and option the game is offering, the experience of each is very different. Some will say "Malenia is super easy, I first try her with my Mimic tear +10 and my spamming of *insert OP Weapons/spell/ash of war*" and some others will have a very hard time because using some suboptimal builds (like me xD).

I don't get what you mean by saying Malenia is "breaking the rules of the game"
I'm also a big fan of these games but at this point,I feel like they're still stale even with the some of the changes Elden Ring brings. Best open world exploration for me was RDR 2,a lot to find off the unmarked path. Elden Ring is the first one of these I didn't go for all the optional bosses on my first run because of how tired I was of it near the end. Things I forgot to mention,most of the boss themes are pretty forgetable compared to older titles,theres a few great ones but not as many as before. Likewise with the area themes,Altus Plateau,stormveil castle,limgrave,leyndell capital and the haligtree themes are all great but most are meh. I'm glad you enjoyed it though,I feel like I took a break and came back to it knowing what I know now I might enjoy it a bit more on a different build.

Also on Malenia,she doesn't follow the stagger mechanics of the game. Seen people compare her more to how bosses in Sekiro are but I have't gotten around to that one yet myself.

DelireMan7

I'm also a big fan of these games but at this point,I feel like they're still stale even with the some of the changes Elden Ring brings. Best open world exploration for me was RDR 2,a lot to find off the unmarked path. Elden Ring is the first one of these I didn't go for all the optional bosses on my first run because of how tired I was of it near the end. Things I forgot to mention,most of the boss themes are pretty forgetable compared to older titles,theres a few great ones but not as many as before. Likewise with the area themes,Altus Plateau,stormveil castle,limgrave,leyndell capital and the haligtree themes are all great but most are meh. I'm glad you enjoyed it though,I feel like I took a break and came back to it knowing what I know now I might enjoy it a bit more on a different build.

Also on Malenia,she doesn't follow the stagger mechanics of the game. Seen people compare her more to how bosses in Sekiro are but I have't gotten around to that one yet myself.

I agree on the soundtrack. Not many sticked with me. I'll see with the time (and some runs with Headphone) but it looked pretty underwhelming for the most part.

I'll watch the video because I didn't notice difference in staggering. But it's funny, during my 20 hours of trying Malenia, I often think she was a Sekiro boss.

tommib

Gold Member
Yesterday I had a Giant fire hand holding me and left a scar. Can anyone explain what the fuck all of that was about?

DelireMan7

Yesterday I had a Giant fire hand holding me and left a scar. Can anyone explain what the fuck all of that was about?

You're locked into an alternate ending now. The three fingers is related to the madness status and that shit that happens to Yura.
^ This

There is a way to remove it to unlock again the other endings but it's a tricky way involving following a long quest, traversing hard and frustrating areas and beating what most consider the hardest boss in the game.

tommib

Gold Member
Thanks good people. I'm fine with being locked into this ending. I figured out the whole thing by myself. What a trip to go down and see that wall. There was a sign saying armour off, therefore skeleton before the wretched wall. I love shit like this. Super disturbing cutscene.

The more I play of this the more I believe this is the best game ever made.

Finally I get to start this badboy!!

What's the best starting class/build for gameplay variety? I want to use all the mechanics possible I.e. Ashes of war, summons, spells, different weapons etc?

I don't want to get stuck with same weapon and shield for the entire game.

Cheers!

DelireMan7

What's the best starting class/build for gameplay variety? I want to use all the mechanics possible I.e. Ashes of war, summons, spells, different weapons etc?

Cheers!
It's difficult to try everything with one character (if reasonably leveling up) because you'd need to up almost every "offensive stats" (Str/Dex/Int/Faith/Arc) which is not recommended. But you get the possibility to respec (redistribute your stats) at one point of the game if you'd like to try different archetype without making a new character.

The starting class Wretch would be the best for you since it has all the stats at 10 and then you'd level up what you need on the go. And don't listen those who said it's harder because you're naked. It doesn't change anything. Armor is just for fashion xD

Going with Vagabond, which as balanced STR and DEX, will allow you to quickly have access to lot of weapons (Most weapons required either STR or DEX or both to wield use) and so you could test a lot of Ash of war (some are restricted to some weapon class).

There is no class focusing on a balanced INT/FAI except Wretch but it remains low for a start..

But overall, you can do anything with any class since it depends on what you level up.

Summons don't need Stats to use them so you're fine. Just need a bit of FP (Mana).

If you want to test a lot of weapons/Ash of war I'd go with a STR/DEX build and maybe put some INT or FAITH if you want to try sorcery or incantation respectively.
Elden ring gives a lot of flexibility, so you can easily adjust your build on the fly.

Zimmy68

Cheers!
I'm finally close to finishing it.
I first started as a Mage (Astrologer start) and ran through a "How to get OP" video but it started getting tedious as I levelled past 100.
You are weak and poise is easily broken and depend on long start up spells against the tougher bosses.
I switched to an Arcane/Faith/Bleed build and never looked back (Prophet start).
You can get some pretty good incantations (dragon, lightning, faith) early then strengthen your melee build with blood.
Both ways were fun.

DelireMan7

Cheers!
Small addition regarding spells :
I find that incantations (usually revolved around FAITH but some requires a bit of ARC or INT) are more varied than Sorceries (INT).
So if you want to see some variety, in term of spells, incantations might be the way to go.

Small addition regarding spells :
I find that incantations (usually revolved around FAITH but some requires a bit of ARC or INT) are more varied than Sorceries (INT).
So if you want to see some variety, in term of spells, incantations might be the way to go.
Ah okay cheers! So ashes of war are stat dependant as well?

gela94

I'm at the fire giant fight and somehow everybody seems to be able to summon your horse but for me its greyesd out o_O Bug?

DelireMan7

Ah okay cheers! So ashes of war are stat dependant as well?
Ashes of war are basically Weapon arts. You attached them to a weapon (and can change them at each rest site, if your weapon is not unique). So you just need the stats for the weapon. So mostly STR or DEX.
Some Ash of War can go on most weapons. Some are restricted to some weapon class (Polearms, Colossal weapons, Sword, ....)

Spells are something different. It's either Sorcery or Incantation. You need either a Staff (sorcery) or a seal (Incantation) to use them and the required stats (INT or FAITH/ARC)

DelireMan7

I'm at the fire giant fight and somehow everybody seems to be able to summon your horse but for me its greyesd out o_O Bug?
Have you used a Furcalling finger remedy (the item that enable others player summoning) ?
Have you summoned a NPC for the fight ? I don't remember if it disable the mount like it does for players

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
How did you'll deal with those three summons at mr big pot?

Electric hammer bro is easy but those others have those single dead parries... beat them at there own game? My magic is not strong enough

Electric hammer bro is easy but those others have those single dead parries... beat them at there own game? My magic is not strong enough

The enemies spawned there are random based on other player's builds.

Thanks good people. I'm fine with being locked into this ending. I figured out the whole thing by myself. What a trip to go down and see that wall. There was a sign saying armour off, therefore skeleton before the wretched wall. I love shit like this. Super disturbing cutscene.

The more I play of this the more I believe this is the best game ever made.

You are not necessarily locked into this ending. There is a way to reverse it but it ties directly with another npc questline and beating optional bosses in different locations.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Its random but I'm not sure if it stays the same for a playthrough/session etc. but it still is random for each player. For me some basic builds came up and went down easily.

I believe ya. Lucky you. 1 have 2 guys that parry and one shot you at 40vig

DelireMan7

Looks like rushing for Ranni quest with a magic build was not the best idea. The dragon at the end is resistant to magic damage. I switch as much as I can to boost my physical damage but it's still challenging.

Any available to help in 1h/1h30 in PS5?

Beat them the same way I beat just about everything in the damn game. Spamming jump attacks and rolls away!

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Nothing wrong with a little cheese :) Add in powerstancing, bleed weapons and talismans to abuse the fuck out of those things and the Jump attack cheese is more of a stilton than whatever the fuck that is :D

Hehehe just kidding. I use all that helps! Damn now I want cheese

Top Bottom