• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You need to go back to castle mourne and look around a bit more. There is definitely something there, look at your map.

It’s funny we both posted similarly at similar times and seem to be in similar places with the map and completion although I haven’t completed any main bosses yet but I’d like to try and do one or two today.
haha you are right, we posted almost the same thing :D
bathroom GIF

Thanks for suggestion, I will look around more.
I did beaten the boss of mourne but it was a minor boss... I will keep looking :p
The top atlas platou is incredible looking btw. The cliff side scaffoldings near the grand elevator with that hard boss at the end? perfection.
although I do find myself riding on the horse between most enemies and just collecting stuff. I do try and kill every type of enemy but skip few encounters later.
Some enemies and minor bosses are extremely difficult in this very fast ds3 ringed city way. Nothing like ds1 or ds2 (my fav). But I am adapting. It's not TOO hard but for sure hardest souls to me yet.
This is constant ringed city difficulty for me... and I replayed all ds3+dlc 2 years ago and had easy and fun time actually :p

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Everyone on this board gets defensive when someone points out flaws in something.

It's such a complete non-issue that I don't even see it as a flaw you're pointing out. It's such a weird thing to be annoyed by. At least pick something real to complain about like lack of heavy armour upgrades.

Hinedorf

Banned
I don’t know why Godrick felt much easier than Margit. I managed to beat him on 2nd try but with Margit I tried 10 times until I finally beat him.
Same for me, Margit took legit time because of my impatience in waiting to dodge at the right time, I was honestly confused by people saying the castle was difficult as I blazed right through it and killed Godrick after a couple tries at best.

leo-j

Seems like it was going to be low regardless.

Considering how many copies sold on the PlayStation 5, we can assume that it's going to go up and down whenever UK gets new stock available.

Omg look at me being quoted and responded to by an industry analyst on twitter xoxo.

Lunarorbit

My Vagabond looks...vagabond-y. 10 hours in and I haven't found anything worth swapping out the starting gear for, minus a helmet that is a complete mismatch.

I'm hoping to stumble upon something better looking in my travels, otherwise I fear I'll be maidenless forever.

The fashion souls is pretty weak, at least in the earlier game segments. I'm 20 hours in and I've changed to one other outfit [Exile armor].
I'm just over 20 hours as well and playing a vagabond. I cant be totally sure but my vagabond chest armor is still more powerful than most stuff I can buy or find. My arcane is at 13 so that helps with drops but I haven't spent the time checking all the stats at the merchant.

I really am trying to stay mostly spoiler free so I'm sure I've missed some good armor.

Lunarorbit

Look, I'll give you fact that the wolves animations are not the best. From Software was never really known for outstanding animations or great technical aspects.

I never got impressions that everything from the sky, with some things I know about the lore it's not far fetched to have things come from the sky in a universe like elden ring. This is a dark Gothic fantasy, not a irl video game replication...

Souls games have always been about the environments and scenery and no one does it better than Elden Ring. Boss animations I think are pretty well done though. Wolves is a very low tier enemy and don't bite rme much with their animations.
Skyrim is the anti elden ring.

In elden ring wolves jump from sky. In skyrim you jump into outer space oftentimes by accident.

No it runs great on PS5 with the PS5 version. The rumors to the contrary are troll bait.
Who are you trying to convince? Yourself?

That's simply not true man. I bought the game for PS5, played it for a few hours, but it wasn't great. Switching to the PS4 version (on PS5) was night and day difference. Perfect 60 FPS without all the stuttering while panning the camera and constant grass pop-in.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

Elden Ring has already dominated the gaming sphere since it launched on February 25 and, at least on Steam, it's only growing in popularity.

Per SteamDB data, Elden Ring has hit record peak concurrent users every day since it was released. More than 764,000 played Elden Ring on February 25, followed by more than 861,000 the next day, and more than 891,000 the day after.

Elden Ring's peak concurrent users is 891,638, placing it seventh in the all-time list behind only New World, Cyberpunk 2077, Dota 2, Counter-Strike: GO, Lost Ark, and PUBG: Battlegrounds in first.

But it's fast approaching sixth place. Elden Ring is currently just 21,996 peak concurrent users behind New World, meaning if the trend continues and even more people play it today, February 28, then it could move even higher up the list. That may be a tough task immediately – weekdays tend to see lower player numbers than weekends – but it feels increasingly likely to come down the line.

Elden Ring is also currently one of the best-reviewed games in modern history with a 97 on Metacritic, placing it alongside The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Grand Theft Auto V, Metroid Prime, and more.

In our 10/10 review, IGN said: "Elden Ring is a massive iteration on what FromSoftware began with the Souls series, bringing its relentlessly challenging combat to an incredible open world that gives us the freedom to choose our own path."

[Sigma]

They don't really cross to me. It's nothing for me to get a few races in and then focus back on Elden Ring for a while and vice versa. I do this all the time when im playing fighting games where I jump in for some matches or hit the lab for a bit and then jump back into that rpg I was playing. Im going to drop Guilty Gear Strive for a while next month while I play GT7 and finish Horizon. Then its GT7 and Ghostwire Tokyo mainly.

Last edited:

zkorejo

To piggyback on this, how viable is just rolling two handed the whole time with the Uchigatana (essentially ignoring block/parry)?
Very viable. Cant parry but can block a few attacks but it doesn't really count. Rolling out of the way to the side of the enemy and then r1 right after does ALOT of damage with unsheathe and is lightning fast and gets the enemy 9/10 times if done right.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Goodrick has fallen afoul to my blade. With some friends help. I did do the last quarter on my own.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
The whole weekend devoted to Elden Ring due to the hype...

I have not successfully parried any attacks and choose to either block, or roll away..
Anyone actually use parry>?

Am I stupid for not being able to assign a D-pad for potion?
having to scroll through inventory from throwing daggers to potion all while dodging and running is probably been the most difficult to adapt.

I thought I was stuck in the roundtable until I just opened map and transported out.
I tried really hard to have fun and not give up and keep at it.

I dont know if I am having fun
I use parry.
Utilize the secondary item equip screen to free up quick access stuff.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
And the game is very vague where to go next. I find graces pointing to directons like castle mourne... but there is nothing in castle moure? No great ruin there.

At the top of the castle, did you find the drop-down to a site of grace and then further down into an incredible boss fight? (You might be OP by now though)

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
Jesus H Christ…this game. It just keeps on giving.

I just got to the mist door at the Ravine-Veiled Village in the Northwest part of the map and the atmosphere is just incredible, largely thanks to…

The singing batwomen with human heads.

Good lord, that math is so wrong in many levels that I don't even know where to begin.

You can't borrow a game's sales trajectory and just apply it over another game. That's not how it works.

Elden Ring is going to be a massive success, but that math is still wrong.

How is it wrong is so many levels? Show me…..

I already pointed out that even though Souls games are stronger on consoles, Elden Ring Steam number is comparable to CP77

Brofist

so you think its gonna outsell dark souls 3 by double?

I can't take this seriously.

Yes its the best launch for them ever but that's built up hype by current fans not new fans.

The game will sell more than any in the franchise but i don't think it hits 20.
It will absolutely double it. With ease

MastAndo

Isn't it kind of pointless to compare boss difficulty in a game like this? I mean, depending on your level (and willingness to use gameplay elements provided to you, which apparently some people think is taboo), it seems the bosses and mini-bosses can vary greatly in perceived difficulty from player to player. I faced Margit with a +4 weapon, summoned the NPC and my jellyfish buddy and there wasn't much to it. I'm most certainly not good at this game, just went in overleveled and hacked away. Point being, I'm not sure how you can definitely say boss A is harder than boss B given the variables involved.

ikbalCO

Someone got paid to write this "article", lol.

Where do they find these people anyway?
I dont understand why this easy mode begging went on for this long. The series is not for you. Move one. There are other great games coming in every direction.
Margit keep kicking my ass. I gonna try again tonight.
Something about margit will click in time. Dont get greedy with your attacks is all i can say w/o ruining the boss for you
I don’t know why Godrick felt much easier than Margit. I managed to beat him on 2nd try but with Margit I tried 10 times until I finally beat him.
I believe margit was supposed to be a bit harder as specially for early stages where you are very underleveled to make you explore the world. I have beaten around 17 bosses so far; great, main and minor combined, but none of them frustriated me the way margit did

Last edited:

SCB3

Mergit finally down, rough fight but eventually beat him, I'm not ready to go forward yet, I need to upgrade my Sword, but cannot find the damned Stones

ikbalCO

Mergit finally down, rough fight but eventually beat him, I'm not ready to go forward yet, I need to upgrade my Sword, but cannot find the damned Stones
there are black spots with red circles around on your map. Those are mines and have lots of stones for weapons upgrade

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
TillWho are you trying to convince? Yourself?

That's simply not true man. I bought the game for PS5, played it for a few hours, but it wasn't great. Switching to the PS4 version (on PS5) was night and day difference. Perfect 60 FPS without all the stuttering while panning the camera and constant grass pop-in.
Okay. Good for you that you bought 2 copies of the same game. I definitely don't think you're exaggerating and I definitely don't believe my own experience of over a dozen hours of playtime already. I'm definitely not setting you on ignore now. Congratulations.

nikos

Elden Ring is sort of already on hold. I'm playing it here and there, but the Destiny 2 expansion has pretty much taken over everything. I'm a returning player who has played it here and there in the past, but something about it has completely drawn me in this time.

That said, once GT7 releases it's going to take over.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
At the top of the castle, did you find the drop-down to a site of grace and then further down into an incredible boss fight? (You might be OP by now though)
The boss fight at the most south? With lion guy? That grafter greatsword reward? Or is there a great rune guy there too ?

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
What a story, from the niche King’s field, to Miyazaki’s Demon souls to now this in such a short period

Demon’s Soul
DS1
DS2
Bloodborne
DS3
Sekiro
Elden Ring

7 amazing games

May it continue for a long time. Can’t even imagine it if they surpass Elden ring design
It's amazing seeing what they've become as a studio. I remember when Demon's Souls first came out in the US. I went to Best Buy on launch day and when I couldn't find it, I had to ask an associate. They had 1 copy in the back room that they hadn't put on the shelf yet. Today other companies actively avoid releasing games in a FROM Software launch window.

TonyK

I just passed Stormveil castle and I was wandering for that beautiful land after the castle and I had that feeling sometimes we all have with special games, you know that feeling, it's something like: "this is the best game I played in my life". I know it's momentarily, but I truly appreciate those few games that evokes that feeling in me, even if rarely that feeling lasts until the end, especially in very long games. I will see how it evolves, but for now, it's a 10 for me.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Played 12 hours, level 30 prisoner. Have beat Margit and explored Morne, but lots more unexplored round here. What level were you guys when you went on in to stormveil? I have some nice spells now and a flail+3 can someone upgrade that at round table further? I have lots of both types of smithing stone. Love this game.

i bought it on steam but it kept crashing so i refunded and bought it on XBox.

Waiting for the gremlins to get ironed out and i'll be back on PC

ckaneo

In just one generation "some" people are acting as if physical software sales shouldn't even have threads anymore. Many of "those" same people didn't feel that way just 2-3 years ago.

Some of yall act like the "other" system doesn't have digital downloading capabilities also though.
2-3 years ago was a different market.

Is this some type of fanboy nonsense? Nobody cares about your console war

Majukun

today my stubborness had the better of me and i ended up wasting an hour and a half on a catacomb boss i was probably underleveled and underequipped for...i still defeated it, but whever designed that boss is a bad person:messenger_unamused:

Louay

so they attracted new players when they done with ER they would probably buy other FS games. FS really hit the jackpot here

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
The boss fight at the most south? With lion guy? That grafter greatsword reward? Or is there a great rune guy there too ?

The grafter great sword yeah..

I’m only 12.5h in so to me it was amazing at least lol. Still in Limgrave, haven’t even been to Stormveil castle yet.

haha you are right, we posted almost the same thing :D
bathroom GIF

Thanks for suggestion, I will look around more.
I did beaten the boss of mourne but it was a minor boss... I will keep looking :p
The top atlas platou is incredible looking btw. The cliff side scaffoldings near the grand elevator with that hard boss at the end? perfection.
although I do find myself riding on the horse between most enemies and just collecting stuff. I do try and kill every type of enemy but skip few encounters later.
Some enemies and minor bosses are extremely difficult in this very fast ds3 ringed city way. Nothing like ds1 or ds2 (my fav). But I am adapting. It's not TOO hard but for sure hardest souls to me yet.
This is constant ringed city difficulty for me... and I replayed all ds3+dlc 2 years ago and had easy and fun time actually :p
Oh I think maybe I was wrong I hadn’t fought him yet.

you and i seem to play the game similarly I’m fighting every enemy type at least once heh

Last edited:
Top Bottom