• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

leo-j

They need to put all that money into making the graphics engine look like one from this century.
The game looks pretty good on ps5. Considering what nintendo does with releasing open world games like arceus, I don’t see why they should go crazy on visuals, the art style in elden ring is phenomenal, and some casuals argue they prefer it over demons souls (I disagree demons souls looks like a ps5 gen game.).

Isn't it kind of pointless to compare boss difficulty in a game like this? I mean, depending on your level (and willingness to use gameplay elements provided to you, which apparently some people think is taboo), it seems the bosses and mini-bosses can vary greatly in perceived difficulty from player to player. I faced Margit with a +4 weapon, summoned the NPC and my jellyfish buddy and there wasn't much to it. I'm most certainly not good at this game, just went in overleveled and hacked away. Point being, I'm not sure how you can definitely say boss A is harder than boss B given the variables involved.
I've seen people with characters in only their underwear clean out these so called hard bosses.

It comes down to skill. If you're all cock and balls you could take out Margit with only your fist and loin cloth. On the other side of that coin you could summon a pack of hounds and call in an air strike to make things easier.

I would not take an opinion on difficulty from a boss encounter if people are going to summon help.

It seems like a lot of people are dipping into the Souls universe for the first time and that's really surprising to me.

I figured that most people were already familiar with these games, maybe that's why the reception for ER has been so weird with the gaming community. Weird to me at least, in that the complaints (even the PC performance issues) just seem like typical Souls type things.

Someone should dig up some old Gaf threads when Demon's Souls was still exclusive to Asia. People were importing the Chinese copy cause it had English. I bought mine in Singapore. That was a really fun time. It was so cryptic, and it was literally just 100% discovery with the game, it was so insanely fresh and exciting. Even something like explaining how the game loop worked was almost like a riddle in itself. "Wait, what? You lose EVERYTHING when you die????" lol.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The game looks pretty good on ps5. Considering what nintendo does with releasing open world games like arceus, I don’t see why they should go crazy on visuals, the art style in elden ring is phenomenal, and some casuals argue they prefer it over demons souls (I disagree demons souls looks like a ps5 gen game.).
No it does not look good at all lol. Stop giving them a pass.

Fantastic art design, incredible boss designs, fantastic enemy variety, creative as hell... All turned to shit with absolute shit graphics on the technical side. By far the worst in the industry for a reputable AAA developer.

You can have both good tech and good art. From just needs to step it up.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

so you think its gonna outsell dark souls 3 by double?

I can't take this seriously.

Yes its the best launch for them ever but that's built up hype by current fans not new fans.

The game will sell more than any in the franchise but i don't think it hits 20.
Lol come on man...it's easily gonna beat DS3 number....also.ppl, come the fuck on, I've told u plenty of times how to measure sales. It's proven to be accurate.

Elden ring is at 7 million on PC, easily. 881k is about 8 million but take in consideration that margin of error and refunds. 7 to 8 million is about right.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

There's an item that will bind Margit to the ground, it's not a long time but helps in the first phase. Gotta use it when he does the attack that causes his sword to pierce the earth, I think it's limited to 2 uses in the battle. Item is called Margit Shackle or something like that.

Item is in the cave where Patches is. Not sure if you found him. It costs 5k runes but can be used multiple times.

Boss is still hard but if you have that item and playing co-op or using the NPC assists, you can take him down. I also recommend wait and bait. Unless your rolling skills are spot on, best to wait for openings. 1-2 hits then RETREAT, lol.
Yeah, the first time I went to fight him I was underleveled. Now I have a few more levels but still an awful AWFUL build 😆 my runes are going to arcane, intelligence and faith cause I want to try lots of magic and my weapon hits very soft.

Madflavor

Gold Member
It's legit one of the best games ever. Some people who are quitting or complaining should maybe try stepping away for a bit and process the game before jumping back in. It is hard and it is overwhelming. But once you figure out your playstyle and just let yourself get lost in the world, it really is an addicting and rewarding experience. First two days the game came out there was nothing but complaining about the PC performance (totally fair) or how it's overrated, but now that people have gotten that outta their system and actually have sunk plenty of hours into the game, it's been nothing but good vibes and people having a blast.

Fantastic art design, incredible boss designs ... All turned to shit with absolute shit graphics on the technical side. By far the worst in the industry for a reputable AAA developer.

Do they? The game got a 96 on OpenCritic and is absolutely crushing it in terms of sales and active players.

I think gamers who care so much about graphics need to just stop being that way. Some of you guys complaining about graphics in games need to sort out your priorities when it comes to what you should value in video games. Amazing top of the line graphical fidelity doesn't make or break a game. It has always been at best the icing on the cake, but "OMG look at the pretty graphics" has never made a game good.

People who loved The Last of Us Part 2 would've still loved the game if it's graphics were substandard.

Tg89

Good for them.

Best dev of the last decade and a bit. Not particularly close. Incredible combination of quality and quantity.

Fantastic art design, incredible boss designs, fantastic enemy variety, creative as hell... All turned to shit with absolute shit graphics on the technical side. By far the worst in the industry for a reputable AAA developer.

I'm so glad I stopped giving a fuck about graphics ages ago. I'm having more fun with this "turned to shit" game than any other AAA release in the last 5 years and I think it looks great.

The_hunter

Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

Tg89

I'm so glad I stopped giving a fuck about graphics ages ago. I'm having more fun with this "turned to shit" game than any other AAA release in the last 5 years and I think it looks great.
Graphics reached the “good enough” point years back. Hasn’t been a single game in a long time with great gameplay that I’ve hesitated on because of visuals.

Other side isn’t true though. Lots of technically amazing looking games that are absolute trash. Easier to make a good looking game than a good game, I guess.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Gold Member
So, er, Bloodhound's Fang is pretty much the most enjoyable melee weapon in any DS game.

The move set is just so good; with the roll attack and backstep lunge.

Nautilus

Banned
How is it wrong is so many levels? Show me…..

I already pointed out that even though Souls games are stronger on consoles, Elden Ring Steam number is comparable to CP77
Actually, Souls games, as far as I know, tend to do better on PC. At least log term.

Its wrong to apply that logic everywhere else, because games(or any product in general) may have different sales cycles. Cyberpuk might have been more frotloaded because of how Red Project marketed the game, while Elden Rig, while havig great sales initially, might be more of a long tail kid of game, because thats how its audiece have een traied to buy the games on the franchise( due to sales and so o, or waiting for mods to release).

The cocurrent user umber is a great indicator on how the game is performig, but you never can say for sure how well it actually sold ased solely on that. For example: Elden Ring has multiplayer features on it. So it might mean that players want to speedru the game or constantly play with starngers at launch, whenn everyone is still a "noo", which might inflate the numbers much more than any other RPG. Cyberpunk, for example is a single player RPG with no multiplayer. That means players can take their time, so they are not rushing to play the game all the time, so while that might make the concurrent player numbers smaller, it probably explains that stupid high ratio for example(alongside having alot of marketing hyping it up).

That's just one possibilities of many of why it probably isn't at 16 million already.

But honestly? This will most likely be the best selling Souls ever. Wouldn't be surprised if its already at 5 million.

Represent.

Do they? The game got a 96 on OpenCritic and is absolutely crushing it in terms of sales and active players.

I think gamers who care so much about graphics need to just stop being that way. Some of you guys complaining about graphics in games need to sort out your priorities when it comes to what you should value in video games. Amazing top of the line graphical fidelity doesn't make or break a game. It has always been at best the icing on the cake, but "OMG look at the pretty graphics" has never made a game good.

People who loved The Last of Us Part 2 would've still loved the game if it's graphics were substandard.
Yes, they do. Theres not a single game in history other than this that both performed and looked like such shit and still got such high scores. Zelda is excused because of the hardware it's released on. I dont know why From gets such a huge pass.

You love the game, thats great im happy for you. But how much better would it be if it looked like Horizon? When a developer delivers on all fronts, thats when you approach materpiece status. You cant sit there and tell me the experience wouldn't be enhanced significantly.

As for TLOU 2, thats my GOAT, nothing close imo - I would definitely not appreciate the game as much as I do if it looked like shit. The graphics enhanced the atmosphere significantly, same goes for HFW.

RafterXL

You love the game, thats great im happy for you. But how much better would it be if it looked like Horizon? When a developer delivers on all fronts, thats when you approach materpiece status. You cant sit there and tell me the experience wouldn't be enhanced significantly.
How much better would Horizon be if they cared a little less about how it looks and a lot more about the world, the mechanics, the exploration and the discovery? It goes both ways.

Yeah, Horizon looks amazing but is puddle deep and the open world, other than looking really pretty, might as well not exist. Your high water bar sacrificed EVERYTHING to be that pretty. I'll take these graphics and this world over Horizon and that world any day of the week.

Yeah, in a perfect world I'd take the best of everything, but you can't name a single open world game that does that, so why are we pretending that From should have been able to do it?

Okay. Good for you that you bought 2 copies of the same game. I definitely don't think you're exaggerating and I definitely don't believe my own experience of over a dozen hours of playtime already. I'm definitely not setting you on ignore now. Congratulations.
I bought the game digitally on PS5. You get the PS4 version included.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
So, er, Bloodhound's Fang is pretty much the most enjoyable melee weapon in any DS game.

The move set is just so good; with the roll attack and backstep lunge.
That's the sword I got earlier. I love it. I have to grind some runes and put a few into strength but it is a lot of fun. I still really like my claws though.

Represent.

How much better would Horizon be if they cared a little less about how it looks and a lot more about the world, the mechanics, the exploration and the discovery? It goes both ways.

Yeah, Horizon looks amazing but is puddle deep and the open world, other than looking really pretty, might as well not exist. Your high water bar sacrificed EVERYTHING to be that pretty. I'll take these graphics and this world over Horizon and that world any day of the week.

Yeah, in a perfect world I'd take the best of everything, but you can't name a single open world game that does that, so why are we pretending that From should have been able to do it?
The world of Horizon is absolutely fantastic to me. It's quickly becoming my fav open world game ever the more I play it. Like Elden Ring, it has friggin' spectacular enemy designs (machines), incredible vistas and locations, the towns and cities are the most alive ive seen in an open world game. combat is fun as hell, tons of weapons, captivating story with the best performance capture in the genre. And the best graphics of all time as a cherry on top - when it all clicks (and it might not for some)... its DAMN impressive. Quickly climbing up the latter on my all time list.

I've already spoiled myself with majority of the boss fights in Elden Ring, even saw the final boss - so I dont get the urge to play it anymore since ive seen so much of it.

When From updates their engine I will be on board with their games. (And combat, and enemy hit reaction) but thats another story :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

Last edited:
40 hours later I found "the river". This game, man. It just keeps surprising me.
The Ainsel river well? I just found that while attempting to get to the Raya Lucaria tunnels of get some sweet upgrade materials. I went down and checked it out and just came back up.

haxan7

Banned
I got Margit down on my 4th try on my Samurai. I got him to less than 10% on my first. I was feeling pretty sassy afterwards.

I guess it helped that I was already 15 hours into exploring the game when I finally found him, and level 32.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
The world of Horizon is absolutely fantastic to me. It's quickly becoming my fav open world game ever the more I play it. Like Elden Ring, it has friggin' spectacular enemy designs (machines), incredible vistas and locations, the towns and cities are the most alive ive seen in an open world game. combat is fun as hell, tons of weapons, captivating story with the best performance capture in the genre. And the best graphics of all time as a cherry on top - when it all clicks (and it might not for some)... its DAMN impressive. Quickly climbing up the latter on my all time list.

I've already spoiled myself with majority of the boss fights in Elden Ring, even saw the final boss - so I dont get the urge to play it anymore since ive seen so much of it.

When From updates their engine I will be on board with their games. (And combat, and enemy hit reaction) but thats another story :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

This thread is about the GOAT, not about casual run of the mill 8/10 bargain bin fodder.

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I got Margit down on my 4th try on my Samurai. I got him to less than 10% on my first. I was feeling pretty sassy afterwards.

I guess it helped that I was already 15 hours into exploring the game when I finally found him, and level 32.
Grats. Definitely helps. I was like 20 when I went there. Took more than 4 times. Lol

DryvBy

This is one of the best video games of all time. I really thought FromSoftware wasn't going to get better than Bloodbourne but this is a ton better. I think if I had any complaints, it's gore. Someone else brought this up but the idea of dismemberment in this game would be unbelievable. Imagine if you could get covered in blood after a battle and have it stain you until you rest.

Just imagine it.

Swift_Star

Banned
The argument that « easy mode will not hurt the game, why do you care?? » is also pretty wack. Not only did the developers repeatedly said no, but I also think it would dilute the genre.

When I talk to a friend and we say we beat the Nameless king, or maybe he tried but couldn’t, we BOTH understand the hardship of it, because everyone is on the same difficulty

When I know someone that beat a boss I couldn’t? This is my reaction

Robert Redford Nod GIF

Making an easy mode removes all that, because now beating a boss is basically a checklist to either a platinum or an ending.

It’s the same reason all rowers train indoor on a Concept C2, even Olympic athletes, because it’s a benchmark. It sets the bar for your effort versus result and is consistant throughout the years.

Many games don’t give a shit about that, but do you even recall much of the fights you had in it? Can we even place a single boss from Jedi Fallen order in a top 50 tier list in the souls genre?
That’s a you problem.

On the difficulty argument, git gud basically means:

1) Learn not to be greedy with hits (one or two is ideal)
2) Learn not to roll too early. Every boss baits you with their attacks.

DS is a rhythm game.

Anyway, you can always over level if needs be.
This.

Also just be observant. I think that's most important in these games. Observe observe observe. Take note of everything that happens around you. Enemies and other obstacles are in certain places for a very good reason and there's usually something juicy just around the corner.

ckaneo

So what's the problem? People on Nintendo hardware buy physical media too. It seems weird to act as if just because a couple companies' consumer base still buy physical media; that means it's unfair to post threads like this.

That's the thing. The people that "CARE" about the console wars are the ones that don't want threads like this to be created. And that's NOT me sir. I'm always in favor of more data being released. Never less. What's the advantage as video game fan to NOT knowing these numbers? How does that make your understanding of the industry better?
For the record, I am the one who posted the Horizon UK sales threads lol

Zeroing

Banned
I like how he said PC is a heavy digital platform.

Can you even buy physical games anymore? I haven't seen a PC with a disc drive in like 5-6 years.
you cannot! EA and company made sure of that ( with the infamous always online DRM and abolishment of reselling copies ) but thank god Steam existed as an alternative…that paved way for PC being all digital.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
The wolves summon served me well and for a long time but once you find a certain summon in East Limgrave it will get replaced real quick, so good.

Got 3 NPC sidequests going in the Northern region, very cool stuff. Father Milk is a beast with his Faith-based magic but I can also get real busy up close with my sacred Morning Star, ready for any situation. One of my spells can instantly knock down a giant allowing me to then crit, rinse and repeat, it's a beautiful thing. 😄

Top Bottom