• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

After 7 souls game, still trying to get clicks on the topic of an easy mode and accessibility options..

The entitlement, devs don’t have to give you fuck all. There’s so much other flavours out there that will take your hand and guide you on the path to a platinum trophy. Go play them.

Somehow managed to fit gamergate and wokeness into this, wow. Them baits.

Literally nothing within the presentation/argumentation follows any sort of consistent logic, that it culminates with them shilling a range of anti-capitalist pins on their webstore is just the icing on the whole deranged cake.

The giveaway as always is the raging against "centrism" as some sort of elite position, when in fact with any complex issue (not just political) its the norm. Because, a centrist viewpoint tends to find sympathy with some arguments from both sides - centrism is not ambivalence, its holding a mixed opinion. But when you're an entirely ideological animal like Sterling... this is of course unacceptable.

Last edited:

RafterXL

The Ainsel river well? I just found that while attempting to get to the Raya Lucaria tunnels of get some sweet upgrade materials. I went down and checked it out and just came back up.
Sofia river well was the name when I went down. Maybe they connect? I had to head out so that's where I left off until tomorrow.

That’s a you problem.
Seems like more of a problem for people who want an easy mode. We're seven games in and not only have From not budged, but they doubled down on it just this week in an interview.

Awesome. i like watching souls vets in their underwear smacking people on the bum with their bare hands.

Hopefully one day I can ascend to that level of awesomeness.
I honestly just do it because I like fast rolling, as soon as my equip load is high enough to deck out while keeping the fast rolling I do so.
Until I strip back down again because of a greatsword that weighs as much as all of my gear ;P

beat Margit first try with my Samurai

took forever with my first class, I think part of it is I'm more comfortable with the move set of the katana and hte other part is I've had a lot more time to practice.

I decided to do some co-op to help people beat him. bosses definitely get buffed with more people in the game. I wasn't doing nearly as much damage but I can still kill him fairly quick.

you get 3k runes and a rune arc if you help someone kill him FYI

easy way to farm runes and get rune arcs if you're bored of your typical farming method

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Another 8 hour session that leaves me thinking this might be the best shit I've ever played.

This time it was part of Liurna and all of Raya Lucaria, another tightly designed souls-like dungeon that once again is above anithing I remember from previous games. They really outdid themselves with the level design of this dungeons, being massive and full of shortcuts and secrets.

Also, the boss of that place is amazing.

Love the game so far.

One thing I find frustrating is that UI elements are not explained to the player. An example being the buff, debuff icons below the players HP/FP bars.
I'm level 44 now and had to find this out via google searches and youtube.
I'm sure there'll be other icons popping up in my playthrough that I'll have no idea what they're about but I'll have to google search them as I go along.

I don't mind getting good at the game but I believe simple HUD elements should have a tutorial or in-game guide.

j0hnnix

Played a little after work. Picked up Great Stars (55) bleed. Glad I respeced. Still keeping claws as my go to. Everyone talks about reduvia but debating moving to it, So far claws cause enough bleed damage but I am curious on reduvia weapon art.

Aesius

So the place where you need to use two sword keys at the very beginning of the game is actually quite a bit bigger than you might initially think. It also contains a helluva jumpscare and the Elden Ring equivalent of a beloved Dark Souls ring...

MastAndo

took forever with my first class, I think part of it is I'm more comfortable with the move set of the katana and hte other part is I've had a lot more time to practice.
Same. Not playing as a Samurai (Vagabond), but I can't get used to any heavy weapon with slower animations. I just picked up the Uchigatana and I'm digging it, after using a Straight Sword found right at the start for most of the game so far. The both work for me. I also have the Bloodhound Fang which seems pretty cool and people rave about it, but even that is too sluggish for me. I'm not sure how people do it, but I'm admittedly a noob at these games.

I'm having trouble connecting to the server for some reason, it's making me play offline

all my progress will be saved and carried over for when I play online again right?
Same. Not playing as a Samurai (Vagabond), but I can't get used to any heavy weapon with slower animations. I just picked up the Uchigatana and I'm digging it, after using a Straight Sword found right at the start for most of the game so far. The both work for me. I also have the Bloodhound Fang which seems pretty cool and people rave about it, but even that is too sluggish for me. I'm not sure how people do it, but I'm admittedly a noob at these games.
unsheath, the move on the katana, is berserk

I just increased my mind for it

I’m one shotting enemies with it at +6

I found an unsheathe art and applied it. Seems duplicative since the katana already has unsheathe but it’s amazing because it turns the affinity to keen which is dexterity based, which is great since I’ve been pumping my dex

I would keep it as it is and not apply keen unless you have at least 25 dex

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
I found Blighttown.

eCbiSg0.jpg
4LvDOVJ.jpg

kikkis

Great rune buffs should have been permanent perks you can select, having to use rune arcs to use them means I will probably never use them.

After godrick there doesnt seem to bosses remaining that dont have at least one 1HK moves, and I am vigor 40.

Last edited:
I just gotta say - this game is absolutely incredible. Sure there’s some rough technical stuff here and there - but it really captures the wonder like very few games ever have. Maybe any game. I just fucked off after facing Margit cus I couldn’t beat him. I am not usually a fan of the souls style of gameplay because while it’s fun it’s just way too hard for me to master.

Went exploring, honed my skills, traveled down into a mystical cave and teleported to a mountain in space or something with weird blue orcs - incredible. Gives me flashes of the videogame that was described in “Enders Game” ages ago - which I never thought would exist.

I still haven’t gone up against margit and I don’t know when I will lol.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
can't tell if this game is easier than souls or if the estoc is just really strong. I feel like stamina is a non issue in this game where it made souls really challenging

Last edited:

kikkis

Games bosses peaked at Godrick and it has been just excercise of frustration ever since. I have to always use the fucking ash of war to make fights even somewhat bearable, and even then its one shot and its all over.

Gonna have to call bullshit on SkillUps claims he was over leveled and one shot later bosses.

I loved the game to the academy but since then enemies that hit like a fucking truck have soured the experience.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Anybody know if putting In points to dexterity increases casting speed?

Yes, all of this is explained if you click HELP and hover over each stat, tells you exactly what each does. The question really is what the breakpoints are (similar to Diablo 2), at which point levels you can observe an actual change and of that I'm uncertain.

Last edited:

Salz01

Yes, all of this is explained if you click HELP and hover over each stat, tells you exactly what each does. The question really is what the breakpoints are (similar to Diablo 2), at which point levels can you observe an actual change and of that I'm uncertain.
Thanks, I put some points in but casting speed still seems the same. Maybe I need to put in more.

can't tell if this game is easier than souls or if the estoc is just really strong. I feel like stamina is a non issue in this game where it made souls really challenging
Thrust attacks are so good. Half the enemies walk right into them. Using a +10 claymore atm, but have a great estoc and I’m considering switching to it because it has a 3 hit pierce combo

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Killed Godrick at level 1, took 2 hours to master his moveset (I'm rusty at souls atm) then I found a Lost Grace that got me in touch with The Blind Woman, finally leveled. Currently Level 56 and just killed a Dragon that kept one shotting me with some crazy red lightning sword-type shit. I can now use that same move and I got his heart!
I think I skipped some dialog options last night (was drunk, going through break up)

THIS GAME IS FUCKING FIRE. OPEN WORLD WITH TONS OF EXPLORATION AND SOULS GAMEPLAY = Heaven On Earth

iorek21

After 7 souls game, still trying to get clicks on the topic of an easy mode and accessibility options..

The entitlement, devs don’t have to give you fuck all. There’s so much other flavours out there that will take your hand and guide you on the path to a platinum trophy. Go play them.

Somehow managed to fit gamergate and wokeness into this, wow. Them baits.

Hold on, since when does Jim Sterling looks like… this? 🤡

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
Yes, they do. Theres not a single game in history other than this that both performed and looked like such shit and still got such high scores. Zelda is excused because of the hardware it's released on. I dont know why From gets such a huge pass.

You love the game, thats great im happy for you. But how much better would it be if it looked like Horizon? When a developer delivers on all fronts, thats when you approach materpiece status. You cant sit there and tell me the experience wouldn't be enhanced significantly.

As for TLOU 2, thats my GOAT, nothing close imo - I would definitely not appreciate the game as much as I do if it looked like shit. The graphics enhanced the atmosphere significantly, same goes for HFW.

No they don’t. Given how successful they’ve been, continue to be, and that they just released what many consider to be one of the best games ever made, your opinion is misguided and at odds with reality. It’s also quite likely that one of the reasons FS’s games are so good, is because they focus so much on the gameplay, and less so on having great graphics.

Also what’s with your first point about no other games getting this high review scores and having less than stellar graphics. Do you know how many games on MC have above a 95? Not many. So it’s a stupid argument to make. There are plenty of games out there that sell like crazy and have had hugely positive reception, without great graphics.

0neAnd0nly

Ok, my first FROM game - so excuse me being ignorant so far...
I am 50 minutes in which equated to
opening spider skeleton thing kicking my teeth in (I did get a hit in though, yay!
Now after a cut scene, I began
exploring the grounds where a big dude on a horse looks like a NOPE! So I avoid him, I went to some beach on the side, but got kind of lost after taking some prickly blobs out while enjoying the coastline that took like 30 minutes to kill a piece
I am a bit lost. Few questions...
Am I suppose to have a horse? All the players also playing that I can... see? Always have a horse. My dude is slow. I did the confessor and he runs at the speed of a My 600 Pound Life star. Is there a way to run faster? I am avoiding horse guy, and some giant tree monstrosity walking nearby as well that sends small chills up my spine. Is that wise to just avoid? I am so lost. I can't cast spells either... Why? Haha.

Yeah. Not sure how I feel yet. This is... different, and a bit overwhelming. But I am going to keep at it and see what happens.

so for my Samurai, I decided to skip the safe route into Stormveil and enter through the front gate to save time to Godrick

the front gate is a HUGE time saver but it is definitely dicey, lots of ballistas

you can roll past them and run to the liftside grace pretty easily though, which takes you directly to Godfrey

Godfrey down, still haven't killed the boss after him even on my 35 hour str/faith build

Academy should be fun

I'm surprised how much I missed in the beginning area that I found this time around, and this is my third time playing it

like the howling you hear in mistwood turns out to be a whole quest, involving a
werewolf man. triggered it by accident by talking to Kale after hearing the howl.

I also missed a NPC vendor that sells 3 stonesword keys

EDIT: is there any notable note I missed by not taking the long route? I can't remember what I got in the castle last time

Last edited:
Ok, my first FROM game - so excuse me being ignorant so far...
I am 50 minutes in which equated to
opening spider skeleton thing kicking my teeth in (I did get a hit in though, yay!
Now after a cut scene, I began
exploring the grounds where a big dude on a horse looks like a NOPE! So I avoid him, I went to some beach on the side, but got kind of lost after taking some prickly blobs out while enjoying the coastline that took like 30 minutes to kill a piece
I am a bit lost. Few questions...
Am I suppose to have a horse? All the players also playing that I can... see? Always have a horse. My dude is slow. I did the confessor and he runs at the speed of a My 600 Pound Life star. Is there a way to run faster? I am avoiding horse guy, and some giant tree monstrosity walking nearby as well that sends small chills up my spine. Is that wise to just avoid? I am so lost. I can't cast spells either... Why? Haha.

Yeah. Not sure how I feel yet. This is... different, and a bit overwhelming. But I am going to keep at it and see what happens.
you missed the tutorial

after the spider knocks you into the floor, there is an area you jump down to in order to start the tutorial

how From to make the tutorial easily missable lol

the horse you'll get after resting at 3 different graces

to cast spells you need to switch to your finger seal as a weapon and then you can cast them

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

you missed the tutorial

after the spider knocks you into the floor, there is an area you jump down to in order to start the tutorial

how From to make the tutorial easily missable lol

the horse you'll get after resting at 3 different graces

to cast spells you need to switch to your finger seal as a weapon and then you can cast them

OH MAN, so I can go back and do the tutorial still (I hope) LOL. That is so helpful.

I don't fully get the grace thing... I read every pop up so far, but I feel like I haven't learned much. Haha. What do they do. I know it says I can learn spells or whatever, but when I click them... nothing happens.

Also, what's with the glowing trees and people saying "praise tree". Meme or something? Ha.

Thanks a ton man!

OH MAN, so I can go back and do the tutorial still (I hope) LOL. That is so helpful.

I don't fully get the grace thing... I read every pop up so far, but I feel like I haven't learned much. Haha. What do they do. I know it says I can learn spells or whatever, but when I click them... nothing happens.

Also, what's with the glowing trees and people saying "praise tree". Meme or something? Ha.

Thanks a ton man!
the tutorial will explain the graces, and should explain spells (I think? I don't remember)

for spells you equip the finger seal or staff then attack with it using R1 or L1, whichever hand its on

it will then cast the equipped spell

you can switch spells but pressing up on the direction pad, confessor starts with 2 I think

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Gaffff I ALMOST did it, so close. Done for tonight, but I can taste victory

I missed two critical rolls at the end. Had I not missed those, I would have had him
I beat Tree Sentinel today with my new Squidward astrologer without taking damage at low level. At first I was just curious, then I got too high off the idea and killed him all the way.

Just stood here with a summon and hit him with pebble. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. I feel dirty and regret my actions.
onb8pll.jpg

Top Bottom