• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All

jorgejjvr

I beat Tree Sentinel today with my new Squidward astrologer without taking damage at low level. At first I was just curious, then I got too high off the idea and killed him all the way.

Just stood here with a summon and hit him with pebble. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. I feel dirty and regret my actions.
onb8pll.jpg
LOL 😂 it all works. But I want to beat him like this, 1v1, as weak as I am

I beat Tree Sentinel today with my new Squidward astrologer without taking damage at low level. At first I was just curious, then I got too high off the idea and killed him all the way.

Just stood here with a summon and hit him with pebble. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. I feel dirty and regret my actions.
onb8pll.jpg
I managed to get Godfrey stuck towards the end of the fight and killed him with my bow

Felt dirty

Also felt bad killing the eldtree avatar by running in circles around him on my horse shooting him with a bow

All part of the game tho, right?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I managed to get Godfrey stuck towards the end of the fight and killed him with my bow

Felt dirty

Also felt bad killing the eldtree avatar by running in circles around him on my horse shooting him with a bow

All part of the game tho, right?
Looking at it from a logical perspective *puts astrologer hat on* they intended for us to be able to do it. That is truly what it means to be blessed by Grace.
V1GI.gif

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It literally takes the piss out of all the same old tried and tested rinse and repeat Ubisoft style open world games we have played for over ten years.

this is the closest thing to a third person action adventure dungeons and dragons I think I can imagine.

so glad it’s doing amazingly well on pc, no way from soft will ignore that platform in the future unless they are forced to.

now let’s get a bloody patch sorted, please thank you.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No, its a you problem for wanting easy mode, as its not in the game. :)
Or they can play other games that do have easy mode for them, this has been said 1000 times, “not every game game made for everyone”……if they can’t accept that then thats on them.
Anyone actually use parry>?
In Elden Ring Guard counter is much more effective and less risky compare to parry.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Ok, my first FROM game - so excuse me being ignorant so far...
I am 50 minutes in which equated to
opening spider skeleton thing kicking my teeth in (I did get a hit in though, yay!
Now after a cut scene, I began
exploring the grounds where a big dude on a horse looks like a NOPE! So I avoid him, I went to some beach on the side, but got kind of lost after taking some prickly blobs out while enjoying the coastline that took like 30 minutes to kill a piece
I am a bit lost. Few questions...
Am I suppose to have a horse? All the players also playing that I can... see? Always have a horse. My dude is slow. I did the confessor and he runs at the speed of a My 600 Pound Life star. Is there a way to run faster? I am avoiding horse guy, and some giant tree monstrosity walking nearby as well that sends small chills up my spine. Is that wise to just avoid? I am so lost. I can't cast spells either... Why? Haha.

Yeah. Not sure how I feel yet. This is... different, and a bit overwhelming. But I am going to keep at it and see what happens.

You get a horse at some point very early on, it happens when you reach a specific moment.

Did you jump in the hole in the cave? If not, I'd recommend you do so. It's a tutorial area that shows you the basics of movement and combat.

As for where you're supposed to go: the first sight of grace you reach when you enter the open world has a small line pointing you in a direction. You can also see this on your map. Follow that line.

And the rest is up to you! Explore, look around, have fun. Remember that you can always fast-travel to sights of grace. So when you're completely lost you can always warp back.

And when you encounter enemies that are crazy strong, chances are you're not supposed to take them on just yet. There's no shame in just running away. You don't have to fight everything, in fact I strongly advise only to take on fights when necessary or when you want to.

One thing I’m realizing playing this is the difficulty is built into the game - like it’s not necessarily purposely super difficult it’s just the type of game it is requires it to be built in a way that is difficult comparatively to other games. Like the whole thing wouldn’t work if bosses were too easy or leveling was too easy - or dying had no consequence - like dying is built into the loop - and you always have the ability to go anywhere and get a bunch of runes to level by practicing on lower level enemies then come back and kill bosses easier when you are way past the level most people play them at, like anyone can do this

Soodanim

Gaffff I ALMOST did it, so close. Done for tonight, but I can taste victory

I missed two critical rolls at the end. Had I not missed those, I would have had him

I only watched the end to see where it went wrong, but at 2:42 when he does the charging underhand swipe, you can roll backwards instead of forwards to land next to him for more free hits
One thing I’m realizing playing this is the difficulty is built into the game - like it’s not necessarily purposely super difficult it’s just the type of game it is requires it to be built in a way that is difficult comparatively to other games. Like the whole thing wouldn’t work if bosses were too easy or leveling was too easy - or dying had no consequence - like dying is built into the loop - and you always have the ability to go anywhere and get a bunch of runes to level by practicing on lower level enemies then come back and kill bosses easier when you are way past the level most people play them at, like anyone can do this

drotahorror

The map is so fuckin huge. I’ve played open world shit for so long but even if the map is smaller than some it feels massive because there is shit EVERYWHERE. Like it’s almost overwhelming cuz there’s always different paths.

Last edited:

april6e

I keep thinking how amazing this game would be for randomizer runs, assuming the modding community can crack the game. This game also makes me think about how amazing 4 player co-op would be if they had chalice dungeons like in Bloodborne and respawnable boss encounters in the overworld.

You love the game, thats great im happy for you. But how much better would it be if it looked like Horizon? When a developer delivers on all fronts, thats when you approach materpiece status. You cant sit there and tell me the experience wouldn't be enhanced significantly.

Elden Ring looks pretty good. More than acceptable, approaching fantastic levels.

If you are comparing this with Horizon FW, that one doesn't have combat of EL.

Souls games have similar combat from 2009 Demon's Souls. It still hits the spot. Horizon has what I would call cheerful combat. Fun to shoot arrows for a few hours. Begins to grate towards end.

Majukun

So, er, Bloodhound's Fang is pretty much the most enjoyable melee weapon in any DS game.

The move set is just so good; with the roll attack and backstep lunge.
regretted choosing prisoner because of it...now i'm grinding my way to that 18 str so that i can wield the thing and finally abandon my starting weapon

will also have to invest in weight load because i think i will lose my fast roll if i equip it

bitbydeath

Finally found and beat that Margit that everyone keeps talking about. There’s a ton of weapons past this boss, kind of like a traditional Souls game worth of equipment.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Literally nothing within the presentation/argumentation follows any sort of consistent logic, that it culminates with them shilling a range of anti-capitalist pins on their webstore is just the icing on the whole deranged cake.

The giveaway as always is the raging against "centrism" as some sort of elite position, when in fact with any complex issue (not just political) its the norm. Because, a centrist viewpoint tends to find sympathy with some arguments from both sides - centrism is not ambivalence, its holding a mixed opinion. But when you're an entirely ideological animal like Sterling... this is of course unacceptable.
He’s an absolute man child.

Cannot stand his performative drivel. And he’s clearly fucking shit at video games.

SJRB

Gold Member
To be fair, there's a ghost who says that maybe some sort of tutorial nearby vaguely. I like that they've kept it optional, but they probably should have swapped the paths around. To skip it you jump down, to see it you just walk ahead.

Again, a needlessly obtuse moment in the game. I reached that hole, the ghost said something like "challenge for a true warrior", I saw all those bloodstains and the bottom and thought NOPE.

Actually went back after I reached Limgrave because fuck it, had nothing to lose only to discover it was the tutorial area.

The start of this game is pretty weird, not gonna lie. Weird intro, weird no-context starting area and then another intro of sorts into the actual starting area with a missable tutorial segment.

FunkMiller

Again, a needlessly obtuse moment in the game. I reached that hole, the ghost said something like "challenge for a true warrior", I saw all those bloodstains and the bottom and thought NOPE.

Actually went back after I reached Limgrave because fuck it, had nothing to lose only to discover it was the tutorial area.

The start of this game is pretty weird, not gonna lie. Weird intro, weird no-context starting area and then another intro of sorts into the actual starting area with a missable tutorial segment.

It’s a teaching moment. From want you to explore properly, including making risky decisions like jumping into a big hole. They’ve always had that kind of philosophy.

I'm hearing voices at the starting location of the boss in gold on the gold horse and I'm hearing these voices in that location at night. But the boss is dead and there's no one around so I go around wacking trees and any fucking thing that moves. It's freaking me out 😂

Last edited:

If there's a hole, I'm in there 😂 I really don't give a fuck cause I spend my runes as soon as I get them so I got nothing to lose really lol.

The bigger and deeper the hole the better. Would probably have an awesome item in there somewhere like corn 😆

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

This has always been the case for Souls and it's what the people who play 10 minutes, die and call it unfair don't understand. There is no difficulty select at the beginning because the games almost always have this built in - summons, broken builds, cheesing etc.

The only wrong way to play Souls is via cheat engine. Everything you can do with the tools provided to you in-game is a-ok, whether that means you co-op every boss or walk around naked with a giant club.

cripterion

I know this happened Saturday but I'm just going thru old posts now that I'm further in the game.

My power went out for a second yesterday and a similar thing happened to me. Rebooted, got those warnings, and lost 3 hours of progress. Lost some cool weapons too. I had saved at sites of grace several times but... Now after each "dungeon" I manually quit which saves.

Did you come back to the game after taking a break? I ended up getting similar gear after my initial frustration and anger.

Yeah I rage deleted the game. Eventually got back to it cause the game does have a grip on you (I never liked previous souls games cause they are too "stuff").

Right now I'm level 47 and discovered the map quite a bit. Didn't kill the boss of Stormvale yet. I changed classes, confessor with starting weapon +5 converted to holy thanks to ashes of war.

Now I quit the game as often as I can to prevent data loss.

It's critical that they fix this bug though, seeing as even your TV sleep settings can shut down your console if you don't pay attention to it.

Majukun

is it just me or sometimes the game straught does not register inputs?
yesterday i died two times because my character didn't dodge at all despite me pressing the button, and no i was not out of stam

Spaceman292

Banned
No it does not look good at all lol. Stop giving them a pass.

Fantastic art design, incredible boss designs, fantastic enemy variety, creative as hell... All turned to shit with absolute shit graphics on the technical side. By far the worst in the industry for a reputable AAA developer.

You can have both good tech and good art. From just needs to step it up.
Last of Us 2 has great graphics, but it's all just used to render concrete and bushes.

The Elden Ring graphics are as good as they need to be, and I've way more visual wow moments in it than with pretty much any other game I've played recently. People are giving it a pass because it looks good.

Lanrutcon

Good for them.

Best dev of the last decade and a bit. Not particularly close. Incredible combination of quality and quantity.

Oh, they patched the PC version to fix the weird slowdowns, frame drops, hitching and loading stutters?

Actually, Souls games, as far as I know, tend to do better on PC. At least log term.

Its wrong to apply that logic everywhere else, because games(or any product in general) may have different sales cycles. Cyberpuk might have been more frotloaded because of how Red Project marketed the game, while Elden Rig, while havig great sales initially, might be more of a long tail kid of game, because thats how its audiece have een traied to buy the games on the franchise( due to sales and so o, or waiting for mods to release).

The cocurrent user umber is a great indicator on how the game is performig, but you never can say for sure how well it actually sold ased solely on that. For example: Elden Ring has multiplayer features on it. So it might mean that players want to speedru the game or constantly play with starngers at launch, whenn everyone is still a "noo", which might inflate the numbers much more than any other RPG. Cyberpunk, for example is a single player RPG with no multiplayer. That means players can take their time, so they are not rushing to play the game all the time, so while that might make the concurrent player numbers smaller, it probably explains that stupid high ratio for example(alongside having alot of marketing hyping it up).

That's just one possibilities of many of why it probably isn't at 16 million already.

But honestly? This will most likely be the best selling Souls ever. Wouldn't be surprised if its already at 5 million.

Souls games are strongest on PlayStation, because Demons Souls and Bloodborne are PS exclusives and each of Dark Souls game was released on console first. The first Dark Souls came out on PC one year after the console version.

PC only accounts for 40% Souls games sale. I assume PlayStation takes 45-50%. The rest is Xbox

Last edited:
S
Souls games are strongest on PlayStation, because Demons Souls and Bloodborne are PS exclusives and each of Dark Souls game was released on console first. The first Dark Souls came out on PC one year after the console version.

PC only accounts for 40% Souls games sale. I assume PlayStation takes 45-50%. The rest is Xbox
So xbox only 10-15%? Kinda doubt it

Nando13

I'm going to be thrown under the bus but I think the exploration is too much for me. Objectively, it's great, but it does not fit my playlist considering that I have a reduced amount of time that I can spend on the game. I think I will use the interactive map the fextralife has created and just visit all dungeons/bosses. I just can spend half an hour finding one of these dungeon's entrances by myself.

Chukhopops

The world of Horizon is absolutely fantastic to me. It's quickly becoming my fav open world game ever the more I play it. Like Elden Ring, it has friggin' spectacular enemy designs (machines), incredible vistas and locations, the towns and cities are the most alive ive seen in an open world game. combat is fun as hell, tons of weapons, captivating story with the best performance capture in the genre. And the best graphics of all time as a cherry on top - when it all clicks (and it might not for some)... its DAMN impressive. Quickly climbing up the latter on my all time list.

I've already spoiled myself with majority of the boss fights in Elden Ring, even saw the final boss - so I dont get the urge to play it anymore since ive seen so much of it.

When From updates their engine I will be on board with their games. (And combat, and enemy hit reaction) but thats another story :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:
Now that I finished Horizon I can safely say you have to be kidding me if you think it has a “captivating story”. The first part is good, the other half is just a slog. Demeter, Thebes, the last mission where the only good part happens in a cutscene…

It’s still a good game but the more I went on the more average it became in my book. Not gonna derail any further but I hope ER can be better than it on every aspect except graphics (which are spectacular in HFW not gonna lie).

Top Bottom